Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 20:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

So something happened with my new job because of which I've got mixed feelings. The new office provides AC cabs free of cost so I've decided to not use my Swift Ldi for office purpose anymore. This saves me around 5-6k per month so I decided not to use the car to go to office at all. But the place I live at has MAJOR parking issues so I don't even take the car out on weekends and rely on the autos to go to nearby places.

Its been parked peacefully for about 2 weeks now and the reason for the post is that there could be 3-6 weeks at a stretch when I wouldn't really need to take my car out.

Questions
1. I've parked the car in such a way that the rear left tyre is a little high up on the road (about 2 inches) than the other three tyres, is it ok to continue to park it like this or does it mean bad news for the shockers?
2. Would the car be ok if I keep it parked for up to 5-6 weeks and only take it out, say once in one or two months to drive about 50 kms?
3. Should I absolutely disengage the parking brake and keep the car in 1st or 2nd gear? Would 1st gear be ok since 2nd gear would give some room to it to roll further in to the wall even if someone leaned on it a little.
4. Anything else I should do to keep the car mechanically fit. I've got two covers for the car which I'll put once I get it washed this weekend so aesthetically I'm not really worried, just that the car should remain healthy.
Old 24th February 2014, 20:43   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So something happened with my new job because of which I've got mixed feelings. The new office provides AC cabs free of cost so I've decided to not use my Swift Ldi for office purpose anymore. This saves me around 5-6k per month so I decided not to use the car to go to office at all. But the place I live at has MAJOR parking issues so I don't even take the car out on weekends and rely on the autos to go to nearby places.

Its been parked peacefully for about 2 weeks now and the reason for the post is that there could be 3-6 weeks at a stretch when I wouldn't really need to take my car out.

Questions
1. I've parked the car in such a way that the rear left tyre is a little high up on the road (about 2 inches) than the other three tyres, is it ok to continue to park it like this or does it mean bad news for the shockers?
2. Would the car be ok if I keep it parked for up to 5-6 weeks and only take it out, say once in one or two months to drive about 50 kms?
3. Should I absolutely disengage the parking brake and keep the car in 1st or 2nd gear? Would 1st gear be ok since 2nd gear would give some room to it to roll further in to the wall even if someone leaned on it a little.
4. Anything else I should do to keep the car mechanically fit. I've got two covers for the car which I'll put once I get it washed this weekend so aesthetically I'm not really worried, just that the car should remain healthy.
1. Though it is preferable that wheels on the same axle are at same level during long term parking, two inches should not make much difference.
2. That would be fine.
3. I always park my car with hand brake on and till date there has been no problem. To be doubly sure, engage the reverse gear, as this normally has highest ratio, as well as making it extremely difficult to push the car.
4. Just make sure that moisture does not accumulate under the cover. Moisture accumulation during hot and humid condition is ideal for fungus growth. So I suggest that you take the cover off a day before the car is cleaned.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 21:29   #228
Senior - BHPian

^^^
I don't think it's a good idea to keep the handbrake on during long term storage.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 22:12   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
I don't think it's a good idea to keep the handbrake on during long term storage.

Regards
Sutripta

I agree, you should not leave the handbrake on. Just put it in gear.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 19:10   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Questions
1. is it ok to continue to park it like this or does it mean bad news for the shockers?
1. It is better if you can jack-up the car and place it on jack stands.Tyres and suspension will thank you in the long run.

2. Absolutely fine.

3.Engage the 1st gear

4.Just make sure you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
Replace the coolant if it hasn't been changed in last 1-1/2 years.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:44   #231
Senior - BHPian

SOS

This morning when i tried to reverse the car it wouldn't engage the reverse gear. It's my swift Ldi, the gears seemed to be too loose for some reason. The car was parked for the last 3 weeks. Any idea what could possibly be the reason for it?
Old 8th March 2014, 16:12   #232
BHPian

Quote:
SOS

This morning when i tried to reverse the car it wouldn't engage the reverse gear. It's my swift Ldi, the gears seemed to be too loose for some reason. The car was parked for the last 3 weeks. Any idea what could possibly be the reason for it?
Even the 1st gear ?

Try slotting it in 1st gear, move the car a few inches forward and stop. Now put it in reverse gear and it should slot normally.
Old 8th March 2014, 21:21   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Totally agree! Both my Cruze and Polo give off a hideous metallic jerk/noise from the brakes if they have been liberally washed (by my driver) while handbrakes are kept applied.

In fact the Polo is known for needing professional help if the handbrakes are kept applied for a longish period of time! Just search Google and TBHP itself.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 21:29   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Even the 1st gear ?

Try slotting it in 1st gear, move the car a few inches forward and stop. Now put it in reverse gear and it should slot normally.
Burned 5000 calories trying this for 15 mins but it didn't work.

It doesn't look like I'm able to put it in the First gear either. Because after trying this for some time i smelled something burning (probably the clutch because of me trying to move the car in a higher gear).

I tried moving it about 10-15 meters using the front gear (not sure whether it was 1st or 2nd or 3rd) and then push it back but neither the first nor the reverse gear would engage.

Will go to the nearby mechanic tomorrow and see what all this is about, but really curious how could something like this happen just because the car was parked for 3 weeks. A little frustrated because i haven't had any mechanical issue with my car in the last 3 years and 60k+ of running.
Old 9th March 2014, 10:37   #235
Senior - BHPian

Some times the gear linkage gets shortened/lengthened due to play, and that is when the reverse gear initially and first gear there after refuse to engage. Used to happen a lot in my Fiat and Ambassador. Get it fixed at the A.S.S. it should be a simple procedure.
Old 9th March 2014, 15:48   #236
Senior - BHPian

It turned out that the gear rod bush was broken. A new set would've cost 2-3k as the bush isn't sold separately. So the mechanic used the plastic bush kind of part from Omni's gear rod kit and fixed the issue. Took him an hour in total and the total damage was 500 bucks. Its a little surprising because the everything was absolutely normal until my last drive and this bush broke just when i started the car and tried to put the reverse gear (I'm assuming that's what would've happened)

Also got Bosch's wiper blades installed.
Old 20th June 2014, 23:01   #237
BHPian

Car Not Used for 3 months

Hi,

I have a Fiesta petrol version, I havent used it for the last 3 months due to road work in my locality, what steps should I take before using it again, please suggest
Old 21st June 2014, 00:00   #238
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Not Used for 3 month

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
Hi,

I have a Fiesta petrol version, I havent used it for the last 3 months due to road work in my locality, what steps should I take before using it again, please suggest
To the best of my knowledge:

1) Proper washing and detailing.

2) Check/ Change all fluids i.e brake oil, coolant, steering oil and engine oil.

3) Clean/ Change all the filters i.e AC Filter, Oil Filter and Air filter.

4) Check all the bulbs and replace the faulty bulbs (if any).

5) Check all the spark plugs.

6) Check the Tyre pressure and wiper blades.

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 05:55   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
Hi,
How was the car stored in these 3 months? Was it kept covered out left open?

A) Change the engine oil, flush it if possible and fill-in new oil;

B) Change the oil + Air + fuel filter;

C) Your tyres would have had lost some air pressure so replenish the same;

D) Check the battery;

E) Any signs of pests/rodents as they could have done some havoc around.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 07:47   #240
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Not Used for 3 month

I think without worrying, you can start using the car after a quick wash. 3 months is not that long a time. Take it to the SC for a quick checkup on the levels of oils, and fill up air on the way.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks