Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 19:45   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Autocop would still suck a lot of power, right?
His car is going to be parked just for 30 days, hence the recommendation. Also, autocop does not require a lot of power. AFAIK, It just needs power in the circuit. It uses little.
Quote:
About needing a mechanic, just a general statement for practical situations man!
I get the drift!. I was just kidding.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:50   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also, autocop does not require a lot of power. AFAIK, It just needs power in the circuit. It uses little.
No, I was referring to the alarms being activated if the car is touched (by kids etc.). Does reducing the sensitivity also mean that there would be NO alarms (eg. sound, blinking indicators etc.) on disturbance to the car? I was asking if Autocop would suck power in such a scenario.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:59   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, I was referring to the alarms being activated if the car is touched (by kids etc.). Does reducing the sensitivity also mean that there would be NO alarms (eg. sound, blinking indicators etc.) on disturbance to the car? I was asking if Autocop would suck power in such a scenario.
AFAIK, the sensitivity can be reduced to an extent that, unless the car is banged, the alarm doesn't sound. But yes, it does sound on other security intrusions, like using a false key et al..
Old 29th June 2011, 22:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh! That would drain your battery.
Quote:
Like libran mentioned, makes no difference, however, pop up the bonet, lock the doors, and then disconnect the battery.
So to sum it up, if kids part excluded (changing parking to FIL's appartment-there will be no one to start / drive the car frequently), is it ok not to disconnect the battery. Did just over inflated tyre, gear lock, car cover will do for 30 days break?

Car is 18 months old.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 29th June 2011 at 22:42.
Old 29th June 2011, 22:38   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
So to sum it up, if kids part excluded (changing parking to FIL's appartment-there will be no one to start / drive the car frequently), is it ok not to disconnect the battery. Did just over inflated tyre, gear lock, car cover will do for 30 days break?

Car is 18 months old and 10000kms in the odo.
Absolutely!
You're over-worrying dude! Gear-lock, car cover will do the trick.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 22:50   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Yup!. All this assuming, you have a perfect battery, wiring and and electricals. And no equipment is malfunctioning?

EDIT: Just saw that your car is just 18 months old. So you just need to check your OE batteries.

Last edited by dhanushs : 29th June 2011 at 22:51.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:34   #142
Senior - BHPian

I see a Santro Zip Drive parked in our complex that is taken out very irregularly. Sometimes it does not move for 20 - 30 days at a stretch and nothing seems to happen to it! So don't worry.
Old 10th July 2011, 18:14   #143
BHPian

I had a problem on starting my figo today after it was parked for 7days without moving. The car was not moving as if the tires had to go over some stone. I stopped the engine, checked the engine bay, all fluids, under the car and the warning lights on restarting. Everything was normal. I couldnt figure out what was happening. On trying to gently accelerate again, I saw that the right rear tyre was refusing to turn, it was dragging. Again stopped the car and checked what I know, everything was normal.

For some reason, I felt it might be the brakes,so pumped the brakes a little and then tried again. Initially there was resistance but later I heard a "thwang" and the car moved normally. I stopped again and checked the underside, suspensions etc. Grossly, they looked normal. I restarted the car and took her for a spin. She rode normally, initially the brakes made a "brrr" sound, but after that everything was fine.

Any ideas as to what happened? I plan to take the car to the mechanic and check the rt rear suspension, brakes. Anything else to see?

3 months back, when I had moved the car after parking for two days, I had heard a similar "thwang", but there was no resistance to rolling, nor was there any problem after that. So didnt bother further.
Old 10th July 2011, 18:41   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
... I saw that the right rear tyre was refusing to turn, it was dragging...
.... but later I heard a "thwang" and the car moved normally...
I assume you had left the car on handbrakes??.. If yes, then rear drum brakes were stuck and hence the car didn't move. The sound you heard were they getting unstuck. No need to worry.

On long term parking, its not advisable to engage handbrakes, especially if they are drum type.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 21:02   #145
BHPian

Yes, the car was left on handbrake. Thanks for that. I can breathe easier now
Old 10th July 2011, 21:13   #146
Senior - BHPian

I will not be using my ANHC (and WagonR & Karizma) for next one month as mentioned in my thread. I have done waxing on the car to make sure it stays protected from monsoons. It will be covered with its body cover (little torn but fixed by tapes). I have also asked my folks at home to clean the car every Sunday to protect the paint from fading/scratching. Apart from that I would like to know if there is any 'other' thing which I need to take care of. I don't think that one month idle period is too long and require something special.
Old 11th July 2011, 00:26   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I will not be using my ANHC (and WagonR & Karizma) for next one month as mentioned in my thread. I have done waxing on the car to make sure it stays protected from monsoons. It will be covered with its body cover (little torn but fixed by tapes). I have also asked my folks at home to clean the car every Sunday to protect the paint from fading/scratching. Apart from that I would like to know if there is any 'other' thing which I need to take care of. I don't think that one month idle period is too long and require
something special.
A month is hardly any time. If your folks could at least start the car once or twice a week, nothing like it.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 01:31   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that one month idle period is too long and require something special.
Like libran mentioned, for a new-gen petrol, one month is nothing.

but then, I believe ANHC comes with rear drum brakes if so, please remember to dis-engage the handbrakes. Same for the wagon R. There is a tendency for drum brakes to get stuck more during the monsoons.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 10:31   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but then, I believe ANHC comes with rear drum brakes if so, please remember to dis-engage the handbrakes. Same for the wagon R. There is a tendency for drum brakes to get stuck more during the monsoons.
Ok, I will. But it will be in reverse gear because of gear lock. So that should not be an issue?
Old 11th July 2011, 10:43   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok, I will. But it will be in reverse gear because of gear lock. So that should not be an issue?
No dude, that won't be a problem. You're worrying too much!

You've got the car cover on, right? That'll keep dust away from the engine bay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks