Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 21:28   #121
BHPian

Re: Suspension Overhaul

After clutch job and body job, I now need some suspension job. So I need suggestions so as to lower costs.

My car in question is Hyundai fluidic Verna diesel 2014, model. It has run 81500kms, since last 5000/10000 kms I am experiencing some issues with front suspension.

Issues
1. On bumpy/bad roads I have started noticing "khat khat" sounds.
2. Even on good roads, when driven I can feel even small road pebbles or minor uneven road surface.

I got suspension checked at both ASS and and a reputed non ASS both after test drive and on lifting over crane checked suspension.
Both suggested to get following things changed
1. Both link rods.
2. Both lower arm.
3. Steering rack assembly .
4. Jumping rod bushes.

The non ASS also suggested to change shocker mounts. Both suggested that shockers may not require change as there is no leakage or failure signs.

My car is 7 yrs old and Delhi NCR as per new 10yr rule, I might not be able to keep car more then 1-3yrs, so I am inclined to keep costs as low as possible.

My car steering feels ok to me. But since last 2 services at different service centres both have suggested some play in steering. Now while lifting the car the non ASS suggested that he is sure that steering rack assembly needs change, the ASS only did road tests and felt the same.

Now at present my options are
1. Get the job at ASS only will cost me Rs19000/ inclusive of labour.
2. Get the job at non ASS where I have the liberty of buying parts outside.
There is a reputed seller "BKS motors" in lothian Road, Delhi who sells both OEM and OES parts.
So after market parts cost for everything would be Rs7900/(including shocker mounts).

I am not sure about brands of these aftermarket parts but my last experience from this seller is really good. He provided me with aftermarket clutch plates/pressure plate/ OEM bearing/master slave cylinder Total Price Rs7700/ only(all parts from OES sellers such as PHC valeo, TCIC)....So total job cost was Rs9700/ inclusive labour. At ASS same job would have costed me Rs 26000/...I have done around 1000kms after clutch job and good results.

To save costs I am inclined to choose 2nd route..any suggestions from members are welcome.
drsachin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 22:04   #122
BHPian

I drive a Swift K-series 2010 with 45k on the odo. I recently got the suspension overhauled at a good reputed FNG and almost everything was changed at a cost of about 17k including all shockers and arms. However, I still feel some sound coming from the front right on bad roads and my mechanic said that this is due to the play in steering which is very expensive to change (~30K) and not really required. I want to make sure that it is not due to a bad new part in the suspension. I trust the mechanic to some extent but how to be sure?
Old 9th December 2021, 03:09   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
I drive a Swift K-series 2010 with 45k on the odo. I recently got the suspension overhauled at a good reputed FNG and almost everything was changed at a cost of about 17k including all shockers and arms. However, I still feel some sound coming from the front right on bad roads and my mechanic said that this is due to the play in steering which is very expensive to change (~30K) and not really required. I want to make sure that it is not due to a bad new part in the suspension. I trust the mechanic to some extent but how to be sure?
At 45k odo on a Swift, I don't buy the mechanic's idea of worn steering (rack) having (large) play to the extent of causing sound/noise from front right, after 17k(?) suspension overhaul works.
I infer there wasn't any similar sound/noise from front right before the works.
Assuming quality of parts installed are up to mark, I suspect it is the quality of installation workmanship.
You may want to seek second opinion on sway bar links, shocks and springs installation works.
The extensive works and an alignment should deliver you a car driving experience 'like new' in terms of noise and handling imho.
Old 9th December 2021, 07:00   #124
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
The Steering rack can be a issue here. I am sure when you spent 17k, All other suspension components were replaced. So it can be rack. Unfortunately for pre 2011 Swift and Ritz, the cost of the new rack is around 32k vs 8-9k for the cars post 2011. The sound can be bothersome on bad roads, I would honestly suggest you to get it repaired. Your mechanic will be able to find the right person to get the job done. I have driven plenty of cars with repaired racks and the issue rarely resurfaces.
Old 9th December 2021, 11:21   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
At 45k odo on a Swift, I don't buy the mechanic's idea of worn steering (rack) having (large) play to the extent of causing sound/noise from front right, after 17k(?) suspension overhaul works.
I infer there wasn't any similar sound/noise from front right before the works.
Assuming quality of parts installed are up to mark, I suspect it is the quality of installation workmanship.
You may want to seek second opinion on sway bar links, shocks and springs installation works.
The extensive works and an alignment should deliver you a car driving experience 'like new' in terms of noise and handling imho.
Basically the suspension overhaul was due and we were planning a trip to Udupi from Bangalore. A few weeks before I started hearing a little noise on bad roads from the front right (right side maybe because the driving seat is on the right?). I thought it's better to get the suspension work done before the family trip (I had the time and was able to get some discounts via gomechanic and GST benefit). We got the car a day before the trip and on the bad roads I still heard the noise intermittently. So took the card back to the mechanic on return and he spent some time to open up some of the suspension parts to check for any problems and tightened all the screws etc. I felt a reduction in noise but can't be sure since the card hasn't been driven after the works. Now I hear the noise on some of the bad stretches of the roads (not always).

All parts used were MGP except front shockers which were Monroe (reputed brand) since MGP only came with springs and was almost 80% more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
The Steering rack can be a issue here. I am sure when you spent 17k, All other suspension components were replaced. So it can be rack. Unfortunately for pre 2011 Swift and Ritz, the cost of the new rack is around 32k vs 8-9k for the cars post 2011. The sound can be bothersome on bad roads, I would honestly suggest you to get it repaired. Your mechanic will be able to find the right person to get the job done. I have driven plenty of cars with repaired racks and the issue rarely resurfaces.
The noise isn't as bad but I want to be sure it is not due to suspension since all parts were changed.
Old 9th December 2021, 13:25   #126
BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to add earlier that the springs were not replaced.

Mods: I am unable to edit my previous post!
Old 13th December 2021, 08:41   #127
BHPian

If there was noise present before and after 'suspension overhaul' then it appears the source would be un-touch parts (which we are not made aware of ) and un-touched works or retightening of bolts and nuts within the suspension.

Also be aware front drive shafts are subject to wear though shouldn't be that bad at 45k kms odo.

Steering column and Steering Unit/rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension Overhaul-000-suzuki-1.2l-rhd-steering-column-capture.png  

Suspension Overhaul-000-suzuki-1.2l-rhd-steering-unit-tie-rods-capture.png  

Last edited by zeng : 13th December 2021 at 08:48. Reason: Add image
zeng is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 11:54   #128
BHPian

Quote:
If there was noise present before and after 'suspension overhaul' then it appears the source would be un-touch parts (which we are not made aware of ) and un-touched works or retightening of bolts and nuts within the suspension.

Also be aware front drive shafts are subject to wear though shouldn't be that bad at 45k kms odo.

Steering column and Steering Unit/rack.
The challenge is that it is hard to figure out whether the noise present before the overhaul was from suspension or steering. The current noise is not a lot and comes intermittently only. I think I am going to trust my mechanic on this. The car has also aged now (almost 12 years) so the aging could also result in steering wear and noise even though it has been driven carefully and maintained well.
Old 8th February 2022, 23:38   #129
BHPian

Alright, so yesterday after a long procrastination, I finally went to my FNG to get my Alto's clutch repaired with a new clutch kit, the clutch was getting harder with each passing day to the point that it was getting impossible to drive in the city.

While at the job I asked the mechanic who also happens to be my friend, replace the engine mounts since the gearbox has been removed. I wasn't even surprised at the condition of the rubber inside the mounts thanks to the terrible vibrations felt inside the humble cabin of my Alto. The firewall side and the coolant tank side mounts have been replaced with AMP make ones. And boy the car is silent now, the AC compressor start stop is not even felt or heard inside anymore just like our new Baleno.

Anyway, the outcome of just changing a couple of engine mounts is so beautiful, I am now keen into getting the suspension overhauled, since the car has become a rattlebox on wheels after completing 1,83,000 kms (thats not a typo).

Most parts are stock as far as I remember, except the lower arms which I got replaced at 1,10,000 kms. Heck, even the stock timing belt has been recently replaced at 1,81,000 kms for the first time.

I want to get an approx knowledge about how big a hole is a suspension overhaul going to burn in my pocket for a 2011 Alto LXi with no tyre upsize. Also the major parts which shall be needed to be replaced.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 19th March 2022, 23:37   #130
BHPian

Does Ford Figo have both Shocks and Struts?

My 2012 model Figo has been lately giving bumpy rides, so I figured it is something to do with shocks. I did the bounce test and the front shocks did fail while the rear ones didn't. I will try to go to the mechanic tomorrow or ASAP, but I want to be better prepared so started researching. I came up with different terms used, shocks, dampeners and struts, while the first 2 seem to imply the same part, I have seen one post (Leaking Dampers (Shock Absorbers) : Can they be repaired?) in which both words were used as if they are two different parts. Struts seem to be a more complex part that combines shocks with spring and offers structural support as well. Another post (Ford Figo - Suspension replacement query) seems to indicate that front has struts while the rear has shocks. What all parts does it really have? Thank you!
Old 21st March 2022, 16:14   #131
BHPian

Regarding the above issue, I got a quote from mechanic with the following prices (for original Ford parts):

Front Shock absorbers: 2 * 1800 = 3600
Stud mounts: 2 * 853 = 1706
Stud kit: 2 * (310 + 1475 + 646) = 4862
Total: 10068
Labor: 1500

Does this sound reasonable?
Old 21st March 2022, 17:04   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridsv View Post
Stud kit: 2 * (310 + 1475 + 646) = 4862

Does this sound reasonable?
What is this part? Sounds fishy to me. Stud kit does not ring any bell to me in suspension component.
Do you mean wheel studs?

Labor sounds reasonable. Although around 1000 Rupees would have been ideal

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 21st March 2022 at 17:19.
Old 21st March 2022, 17:31   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is this part? Sounds fishy to me. Stud kit does not ring any bell to me in suspension component.
Do you mean wheel studs?

Labor sounds reasonable. Although around 1000 Rupees would have been ideal
I asked for clarification and he said only the first one (Rs.310) is the Stud kit, the second one is Bearing and the 3rd is Boots.
Old 21st March 2022, 20:03   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridsv View Post
I asked for clarification and he said only the first one (Rs.310) is the Stud kit, the second one is Bearing and the 3rd is Boots.
I think you mean 'strut' kit. Not stud.

Below link has the blow up of the front suspension parts. Verify it over there

https://oriparts.com/42/1181/76381/4...#item_84808869
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 21:43   #135
BHPian

Hey everyone!

Can anyone from Chennai who owns A Hyundai Accent give an estimation of how much a Suspension overhaul can cost?

I want to give it to a Hyundai Dealer for it and was wondering how much it would cost there versus at a FNG?

Any inputs would be great!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks