Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 18:50   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja748 View Post
Hi,

Still I have one doubt in my mind.For last two years,whenever I was using wipers as mentioned,the windshield use to become crystal clear.But now what happens is,when the wiper wipes off the water,it produces a milky type of layer on the windshield,which vanishes after 2-3 seconds.I am unable to find out any solution on it so far.

In nutshell,till date I am unable to get the crystal clear performance,as I used to get during last two monsoons.
Any more suggestions in this regard are most welcome.
I have been through the entire post carefully because the milky bit in the subject line caught my attention in an instant. I have been plagued with this exact same issue that Raja has mentioned (much more clearly now than in the beginning of the post). My Swift Vxi is exactly 2 yrs old and has had this layer formation issue since day one!

As always the service center guys are clueless and all known temperature, air direction, etc balancing acts have failed to resolve this.
Wiper blades move up, create milky hazy layer which impedes visibility greatly. Blades do a fine job of wiping the water but layer remains. Then it magically disappears after about 20 seconds. If the rain is heavy and blades are being used continuously the layer actually gets worse!

Tried changing the blades, different cleaning liquids from MGA to Amway to something from the Dollar Store. All help with cleaning, but nothing, i repeat NOTHING, fixes the layer.
Someone...anyone, HELP!
Memphis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2008, 21:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Coincidence or not, even the thread starter Raja also had a Swift Vxi. Looks like the issue is model specific than generalised with other cars. I have seen the fogging issue in most cars, but trying different methods mentioned in this thread, atleast one will defenitely work. Trying methods keeping the fact in mind; hotter side of the glass gets fogged/misty, will help anyone.

I found certain things to be followed against our inclination in a rainy situation ; AC ON in the rain, Heater ON when you are in a comfortable, cozy feeling etc.

Last edited by shajufx : 9th July 2008 at 21:06.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

There are two basic reasons behind condensation/fogging, and hence two things required to resolve it. First is humidity and second is temperature. More humidity means more condensation, and also less temperature means more condensation. Humidity is increased due to rains and people inside the car. AC lowers the temperature and de-humidifies the air. For internal fogging AC is very effective, de-humidification instantly clears internal fogging even if inside temperature is quite lowered due to AC. For external fogging, we don't have control over humidity as well as temperature of outside temperature. So, for that the only thing we can do it is raise the temperature of the "glass". This can be done by using heater along with AC. Rear defrosters too do the same, they are nothing but low powered heaters for the "glass". There seems to be probably a myth that heater and AC can not be used simultaneously, or may be some (probably older) cars indeed don't allow this for some reason. However, I would expect defrost mode in modern climate control ACs to be using AC and heater simultaneously.

All that aside, I think the problem reported here somewhat different, it has something more to it than just temperature and humidity. I have started facing this problem in my 2 and a half year old car. That misty layer gets formed only when wipers are used. It clears automatically withing a few seconds, sometimes takes more. Also it tends to get spread with wipers. When the car was new, this problem was almost non existent, but it has grown over time and now about to become a concern. I naturally thought that it may be due to aging wiper blades, and was also thinking of replacing them with "Bosch" ones, but going by the experience here, it may not really solve the problem at all! Sometime I feel like it is some sticky, oily layer that may have formed on the glass. So, cleaned it properly with detergent and started using Colin glass cleaner in the wiper solution, but in vain.
Hope somebody nails it down and suggest a sure shot solution
Old 10th July 2008, 09:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
I have been through the entire post carefully because the milky bit in the subject line caught my attention in an instant. I have been plagued with this exact same issue that Raja has mentioned (much more clearly now than in the beginning of the post). My Swift Vxi is exactly 2 yrs old and has had this layer formation issue since day one!

As always the service center guys are clueless and all known temperature, air direction, etc balancing acts have failed to resolve this.
Wiper blades move up, create milky hazy layer which impedes visibility greatly. Blades do a fine job of wiping the water but layer remains. Then it magically disappears after about 20 seconds. If the rain is heavy and blades are being used continuously the layer actually gets worse!

Tried changing the blades, different cleaning liquids from MGA to Amway to something from the Dollar Store. All help with cleaning, but nothing, i repeat NOTHING, fixes the layer.
Someone...anyone, HELP!
I fully agree.It is really a great concern as during with heavy rains it is practically impossible to drive as this milky layer blocks the visibility completely for few seconds...and few seconds count a lot...isn't it?
Old 10th July 2008, 09:48   #65
BHPian

I also agree with Santosh S.I have tried cleaning windshield with MGA glass cleaner,but the result is not satisfactory.Even dealer people are clueless.Surprisingly,the problem has erupted this year only.

Should I try contacting windshield experts?what do you feel friends?
Old 10th July 2008, 10:10   #66
Senior - BHPian

This is just a wild thought, but let me share- does it have something to do with air pollution? I hear rains these days don't pour clean water, it's "acid" rain!
Old 10th July 2008, 11:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

If that is the situation, there should be lot of drivers complaining about the same issue, whichever car is passing the 2nd year. My car is only 1 year old, I had a terribly blocked view of the road previous week, while moving towards cubbon park in the heavy rain after 7pm. In a hurry to reach the place, I didnt try any of the methods mentioned in this thread (infact I saw this thread yesterday !!), but desperately tried to wipe the driver portion of the glass (inside) with a towel every 5 minutes ! I wished there was a wiper inside too ! So, the solution seems to be trial & error method as someone already mentioned above !
Old 10th July 2008, 12:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

Memphis, Raja,

Try the following:

- Do a thorough clean of the windshield with Colin or a good brand of windshield cleaner. Use a Window Squeege ( Its a rubber strip with a handle that works like a wiper blade, but does a much better job than a cloth ).

- Clean the wiper blades with a wet cloth. if you suspect dirt sticking, then use a very fine sandpaper ( zero number?? ) to clean the blades and then clean with water.

- There are anti-rain liquids - ABRO and Rain-X that you can use on the outside to coat the glass with. These will improve the beading of water thereby making it easy for the wiper blade.

- Check if your windshield has micro scratches. this normally is the cause for the milky coating when you use the wipers, since dirt/oil may getinto the scratches and cause this. replacing the blades and a thorough cleaning normally should 'reduce' the effect.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Old 10th July 2008, 13:52   #69
BHPian

Guys, before jumping on the effective measure of cleaning and all that, let me ask one question first:

Do you have the same problem of poor visibility when you splash water and wipe even on a sunny day?

If not, the glass is perfectly fine. You don't have to take so much pain to clean it as of now.

If the issue is of the condensed vapours on the glass inside the car, this is purely because the temperature of the glass is lower than the air inside the car. Please cool the inside cabin (or the air near the glass) with closed air circulation A/c turned on or please warm up the glass using heater. PLEASE, this is very IMPORTANT. I have seen enough of petty accidents even at snails pace when rain pours. It is important because the other drivers will not know that someone is not able to see what is in front of him.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

Let us not digress into fogging problem in general, which can happen anywhere on all glasses, from inside or outside. As many people have already mentioned, including myself, that AC+heating definitely works fine for this.

The specific problem that needs to be addressed is the milky layer getting formed when wipers are used, which tends to spread with moving wiper blades and stay for some time. Washing the glass has not helped many people, and in case of the thread started, even changing to Bosch blades has not helped. Please note that it is applicable only to outside portion of front windscreen and that too the area covered by wipers. (raja748, kindly correct me if I am wrong. That is the case with me at least)
santosh.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 15:23   #71
BHPian

May have posted this before, solution is very simple:
For the outside of the windshield, the cause is traffic grime and oily deposits which come from fumes - wipe with a wet cloth with some Surf excel/Ariel powder on it, do the same to the wiperblades. Rinse with clean water. This will clear the problem, guaranteed, for at least three days. For this purpose I keep a small cloth dampened with strong detergent solution in a plastic bag in my door-pocket.

For the inside of the windshield - the A/c on recirculation mode should clear it up. If your car has no a/c, wipe the inside of the windshield with a dilute detergent solution and let it dry, without rinsing. This will prevent fogging on the inside.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:24   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Let us not digress into fogging problem in general, which can happen anywhere on all glasses, from inside or outside. As many people have already mentioned, including myself, that AC+heating definitely works fine for this.

The specific problem that needs to be addressed is the milky layer getting formed when wipers are used, which tends to spread with moving wiper blades and stay for some time. Washing the glass has not helped many people, and in case of the thread started, even changing to Bosch blades has not helped. Please note that it is applicable only to outside portion of front windscreen and that too the area covered by wipers. (raja748, kindly correct me if I am wrong. That is the case with me at least)
This is a problem faced by me too on my Santro often when it rains and gives tough time driving in night.

After few seconds of the wiper blade wiping the area, it clears up by itself. So I practice to keep the wiper to intermittent mode, or sometimes trigger manually for more delay when it just drizzles or small showers. But can't help much when it pours. Driving slowly and cautiously is the solution.

(Fogging is something different than this issue has many remedies which are tested to be working and explained many times on the forum and in this thread. So no more solutions are required for fogging.)
Old 10th July 2008, 16:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:

That is why I asked if the problem exists even on a sunny day, let's say, by continuously spraying water, or splashing from a mug/bucket and wiping with the blade or whatever. If yes, we cannot do anything with the A/c or heater.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:03   #74
BHPian

My understanding of possible cause/solution aspects of the "milky" situation from what's been posted here thus far:
  • Worn out blades - highly unlikely factor as Raja mentioned switching to brand new Bosch ones & I too have this problem since my stock blades were a few days old
  • Humidity & temperature difference between cabin and outside - I think it can be totally ruled out as this only causes temporary fogging/misting and NOT the layer, which is fixed by air flow control
  • Air pollution and acidic nature of rainwater - Santosh, Filcord, I thought of this too but then this should affect almost all cars (atleast all Swifts) since we drive in similar conditions in most Indian cities. And I have driven a dozen different cars in the last year, but never seen this milky stuff happen before. Ever.
  • Grime and dirt accumulation on the windshield and dirty blades - Smsrini, appreciate the tips, and I do remember reading the sandpaper routine somewhere else too, but all forms of cleaning the screen and blades have not worked in this regard.
Funny thing though, Shyam seems to have this same issue with his Santro so I dont think its only a Swift Vxi issue. Possibly its a combination of the pollution, dirt, quality of blades factors. Anyone know if the way the wiper system has been setup, i.e. angle, pressure, etc at which the entire wiping assembly is working might have something to do with it?

I know I haven't really provided a solution here, but its comforting to know I'm not the only one with this freak occurance. Guess I'll keep doing the trial and error method with all possible options and keep everyone posted on results. All the best to members of the Milky Way
Old 10th July 2008, 17:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:

Yes.I agree with you Santosh.You have put in the problem perfectly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks