Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 09:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Changing the fan size of the engine driven fan would help, though it will also generate more noise. Since there is no place to fit an electric fan for the condenser, the only route is to enlarge the engine fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I guess what jyobeb meant was that the original radiator is not enough to keep the engine at normal temp, when the a/c is working (when the a/c is used, it will load the engine , since the Gypsy engine doesnt have surplus engine power, the additional load of the a/c will make the engine overheat). Hence, a larger radiator will help to keep the engine at normal temperatures, when the A/C is on.
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
its 410 or 413?
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Been there, done that on my Gypsy in 1999. An electric condenser fan is also a must for using the AC inside the city.
Correct Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
What cost's are we looking at to get the A/C fitted in a Gypsy.
15 to 20K

Quote:
The condenser gets choked with mud and the fan goes out of order double quick in this location.
Better alternative is on the roof.

Gentlemen, I have a Sanden 507 compressor fitted in my Gypsy King. The Radiator is that of a 118NE. I have an auxillary electric fan fitted up in front of the radiator / condensor unit that comes on automatically when the ac is switched ON.

Also have an auxillary wiring to switch that same electric fan ON manually when the AC is not working, but when you do hardcore offroading and the temperature rises [Read as 1-Low for 15 kms in sand]

Have replaced the stock fanbelt driven fan to an electric fan to save on engine power as well as improve efficiency.

And Yes, an AC in a gypsy is a definite Luxury that one needs to cool down!

Cheers
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2009, 09:40   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...I have an auxillary electric fan fitted up in front of the radiator / condensor unit that comes on automatically when the ac is switched ON.

Have replaced the stock fanbelt driven fan to an electric fan to save on engine power as well as improve efficiency.
That's great. So now that we have 3-4 folks who have put in the 'extra' fan and also converted the 'fanbelt' driven fan to electric fan, who amongst you is going to put in the pictures & details of this .

I need the details/pictures so that I can get an idea before I get this done. Bangalore is becoming super hot these days and A/C in my Gypsy is for sure being done.

Cheers,
Old 15th February 2009, 10:19   #33
BHPian

Shahnawaz,

This is a pic of the Indigo shroud.
Airconditioning in the Gypsy-cimg0082a.jpg

This is the WagonR assembly installed by a friend. Notice that it is slimmer and fits better.
Airconditioning in the Gypsy-rajiv.jpeg

Last edited by gotzuk : 15th February 2009 at 10:22.
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2009, 10:32   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Vaibhav.
  • What is that in the area that I have marked as Yellow. I think it is there in the other pic that you have put as well.
Airconditioning in the Gypsy-cimg0082a.jpg
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2009, 11:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking what are the options of buying a aircon unit from any off the accidental vehicles and then installing them in our vehicles.
We could put in a powerful blower and take the condenser and compressor from the accidental vehicle. eg like a safaris or even a cielo's ac were very effective!!
Is that possible and what would be the drawbacks, if any? And any idea of the costs would be very helpful.
Is there any good place in Delhi who do custom jobs of installing aircons in vehicles???
Old 15th February 2009, 11:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Is there any good place in Delhi who do custom jobs of installing aircons in vehicles???
Harjeev, you can check out that Sardarji's shop in Lajpat Nagar; CoolKing or some such name. He's always been THE retrofit shop for South Delhi.
Sorry, the name eludes me.
Old 15th February 2009, 11:22   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I was thinking what are the options of buying a aircon unit from any off the accidental vehicles and then installing them in our vehicles.

We could put in a powerful blower and take the condenser and compressor from the accidental vehicle. eg like a safaris or even a cielo's ac were very effective!!

Is that possible and what would be the drawbacks, if any? And any idea of the costs would be very helpful.
Exactly my question. I think it should not have any issues -- as long as the condition of parts is ok. However, i think that if the total price difference is <=5K then it would be better to go in for a new one.

Will be visiting the local junk yard market for an idea of how things are.
Old 15th February 2009, 13:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Err.. one question:
Are you planning on having a R12 based AC or R134a?
Better would be the R12 system as the cooling efficiency is better. R134a would need larger condenser and evaporator sizes for the same effect.
Old 15th February 2009, 15:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the Info anup
I am not sure as to what I will be going for as I am not very technically sound on aircon systems. So I dont understand what is r12 or 134a!!! Please help

I think that my best bet would be to get a working aircon from an Accidental car, if I can manage. If not or I dont get a bargain then I will be going in for a brand new unit.

Also if you could please give me some pointers on the location of the aircon shop in Lajpat ngr. I am in Greater Noida now and was thinking of checking it out!
Old 15th February 2009, 16:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, R12 is the old refrigeration gas which is not considered environmentally friendly. It has largely been replaced by R134a, but as I said the condenser & Evaporator need to be larger for similar cooling.

As for the shop, I myself can only find it after searching around in Lajpat Nagar. It is not far from where all the auto accessories shops are located. If you ask around, you should find it. And there are many shops in that area.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harjeev, R12 is the old refrigeration gas which is not considered environmentally friendly. It has largely been replaced by R134a, but as I said the condenser & Evaporator need to be larger for similar cooling.
And the R12 gas is twice as expensive & hard to find than the present R134a gas which comes in small canisters.

@anupmathur... the alternator will not load the engine as heavily as the alternator plus the mechanical fan.
Old 16th February 2009, 13:04   #42
BHPian

AFAIK, the R12 gas is banned because it is not environment friendly.

I have a zen vxi 2001 model, on my recent visit to Kol during oct/november I wanted to get the a/c gas refilled. When I went to MASS for it, they clearly told me that the R12 gas has been banned and I will have to go in for a conversion so that the R134a can be used which would cost upwards of 10K.

I confirmed this with some other A/C mechs in kolkata and my mech in Bangalore. The R12 has been banned and none of the vehicles post 2001 end or rather 2002 start are coming with it. All of them are using R134.

I would not advice anyone to buy a system which uses R12..

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
And the R12 gas is twice as expensive & hard to find than the present R134a gas which comes in small canisters.

@anupmathur... the alternator will not load the engine as heavily as the alternator plus the mechanical fan.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 16th February 2009 at 13:06.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2009, 13:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
AFAIK, the R12 gas is banned because it is not environment friendly.
You're quite right that R12 was phased out from NEW equipment due to environmental concerns. However, there is a lot of old R12 equipment that is still in service. R12 can be more difficult to find than R134a.
If size of condenser for an R134a system can be accommodated in the Gypsy, by all means, go for R134a. It is, after all, the GREEN thing to do!
Old 16th February 2009, 17:56   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pics of my air-con install, if it helps any potential air-con swap:

Airconditioning in the Gypsy-dsc01301.jpg

Airconditioning in the Gypsy-dsc01299.jpg

Airconditioning in the Gypsy-dsc01310.jpg

Airconditioning in the Gypsy-dsc01311.jpg

Airconditioning in the Gypsy-dsc01304.jpg

Airconditioning in the Gypsy-dsc01305.jpg

Airconditioning in the Gypsy-dsc01308.jpg

Name:  DSC01309.JPG
Views: 3718
Size:  76.4 KB

You need detailed pictures of mounting brackets etc.? Just ask.
Old 17th February 2009, 16:05   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

NOTE from Team-BHP Support: New thread created for alternator/battery discussions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/53613-alternator-dependency-will-vehicle-run-battery-disconnected.html

Let this thread be there for A/C in a Gypsy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks