Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:46   #721
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
I have another query... how much problem does one face to operate the CD player, as it disturbingly placed near the gearshift? From ADC's posts, I really do not want to take my eyes off the road for the sake of changing CDs/shifting between controls. I shall need to check it myself while I take the test drive, but what do you guys think?
Extremely dangerous to change cd / track when cruising in 5th. Go for the steering mounted remote, if you have the stock Blaupunkt HU. I have one, very useful.
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:03   #722
BHPian

Fresh Air Intake into the HVAC system

Many a times, I have noticed that when driving through smoke etc, the smell penetrates the cabin with the Ventilation Switch set to close. I was suspecting that the Ventilation door may not be closing completely.

I am not able to trace it's exact location to check. Although I believe that it is under the hood. Any clues???
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:52   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Look what that situation was and what you are trying to generalize is completely different - I was using the handheld remote of the Pioneer in the dark and other factors were there. For the actual generalization, Abhiknov has described it reasonably well.

Whats the solution - get a remote on the steering or like I did now for this overnight Kol-Gangtok journey today, dont use a remote, just press directly on to the knob and play whatever it plays!!
handheld remote... !! Then I missed it, it is even more dangerous to use if you are driving, irrespective of whether it is day or night. Okay so steering mounted remote is the solution. It works on the same infrared frequency as normal remote controls do right or is it blutooth or or some other technology?
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:10   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Unlike a Sierra, Safari 2.2 has hydraulic tappets. I was informed by TASS that these (tappets) cannot be adjusted. Yes , I have a very (please note the VERY) small tappet noise right from the beginning. I only way I can get to the root of the noise is by opening the tappet cover and this I am not going to do so on a new vehicle.

So I live with it.
Sure its the tappet? The EGR gives a similar noise (krr krr is from EGR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
all sounds will settle with more usage of the vehicle. My 2.2 purrs like a cat now.
32.5k now, smooth. Very.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:17   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Sure its the tappet? The EGR gives a similar noise (krr krr is from EGR)
Sirjee, Tappet noise is different from the Krr noise of the EGR.

I cannot explain a tappet noise in print. Sorry
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:10   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Sirjee, Tappet noise is different from the Krr noise of the EGR.

I cannot explain a tappet noise in print. Sorry
lol.

I said it coz when I had (have now too, but less audible) the krr krr the gusy said its the tappet and hence.
Old 4th April 2009, 08:46   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
lol.

I said it coz when I had (have now too, but less audible) the krr krr the gusy said its the tappet and hence.
We will have to meet sometime to hear what each of us term as a Krr noise. This would be the only way to resolve this issue.

I am planning (am planning for the last couple of months) to drive down to B'lore - I will try to meet Dadu and others there then, but you are still furthur south.
I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 4th April 2009, 11:02   #728
Senior - BHPian

Gear lever boot cover torn twice in two months

On my ~2months old Safari 4x4 VX I am facing this issue- the leather cover on the gear lever boot was torn at the base parallel to the lever well and there were few tiny holes on the boot near that. This was replaced under warranty at first service. After driving for ~600kms or so it is torn again in exact same pattern.

TASS is replacing it under warranty again, this time they said they will change the entire gear lever assembly (??).
Anybody faced this before?

tia,
-BJ
Old 4th April 2009, 13:32   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
On my ~2months old Safari 4x4 VX I am facing this issue- the leather cover on the gear lever boot was torn at the base parallel to the lever well and there were few tiny holes on the boot near that. This was replaced under warranty at first service. After driving for ~600kms or so it is torn again in exact same pattern.

TASS is replacing it under warranty again, this time they said they will change the entire gear lever assembly (??).

tia,
-BJ
Dear bj96 if possible please post a photo of the same.
Old 5th April 2009, 22:04   #730
Senior - BHPian

gear lever boot cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
please post a photo of the same.
Posting few pics. TASS has replaced the gear lever (rod)- because they noticed that welding on the bent had some projections and they suspected that rod may have been bent causing undue stress on the leather boot cover.

Changing the rod was quite a job. They took almost half a day to do it. The truck had to be lifted up and then remove bottom protection plates (two of the three), undo differential assemblies and access the gear box, etc. When I visited the workshop they were putting back the stuff. I got to see my truck's bottom naked . It looked quite strong built. The 4wd transfer case was well hidden behind a x-member and protection plate. The plates itself looked like 4-6 mm sheets. The bar code tags stuck on the components from TML felt reassuring that my truck is still new :-). The guy (Mr Umesh) attending the job admitted that due to extra FWD differential it took him longer than normal 4x2 safari.

Anyways, the gear lever is changed now with a new bush. Gear change feels little notchy than before (to get into 1st and 2nd gear). Mechanic told me it will settle after some run-in. My truck had already done ~1750kms on old OEM lever.

Let us hope the original torn-boot issue is resolved now- which I will only know, if they replace the boot cover. Beige color was not in stock - have to wait till it arrives :-(.

As a side learning, now I know how easy it is to replace the gear lever boot cover and the knob. The plastic panel with leather boot cover is just a push-fit on to the base. It is a easy DIY job :-)
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-gear_lever_boot_cover.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-gear_lever_boot_cover2.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-gear_lever_defective_2.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-gear_lever_replaced.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-gear_lever_defective.jpg  

Old 5th April 2009, 23:38   #731
KVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

tia,
-BJ
Dear BJ.

I had similar problem in my Safari (VX 4X4) too (4 months old)

TASS replaced the gear rod, because the curve is not correct and because of this the cover is getting torn.

Now I do not have this problem.

Cheers

KVS
Old 7th April 2009, 13:03   #732
BHPian

Issue : Resonating sound at 1300-1500 rpm while in 3-4 gears.

I guess this is an irritating issue with some safaris. This vibration results in a typical boom at rpm mentioned above mainly in city driving conditions.

It appers to come due to some damping issue - from the floor, roof, AC roof mounted and rear seats. inorder to pinpoint the source of this problem i spent time sitting in the rear with my driver at the controls.

Finally here is the culprit (at least in my safari 2.2).
There is a plastic cladding on the rear door as shown in pic below. the upper part is loosely hinged and resonates at the said rpm.
Solution - I have dampened it by pushing some packing foam into the gap.

For now the issue is solved
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-vibration.jpg  

Old 18th April 2009, 08:57   #733
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I had read in some post in Team - BHP, as to how to understand the VIN of a Safari. Am unable to locate the post now. Would request the members to provide the link of the post/thread.

Thanks
Old 18th April 2009, 09:55   #734
Senior - BHPian

The Air con of my Safari stopped cooling all of a sudden.
At first I checked all the fuse's, the ones that are inside the cabin and they were fine. Then I checked the fuse in the engine bay and the condenser fuse was the culprit. Put a new one from the spare provided!!!
Now I have to get a couple of more spare fuse and these are very small and different from the fuse that we guys normally see...
Here I have taken a picture of the faulty fuse

Are these easily available???
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img_7884.jpg  

Old 18th April 2009, 10:12   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The Air con of my Safari stopped cooling all of a sudden.
At first I checked all the fuse's, the ones that are inside the cabin and they were fine. Then I checked the fuse in the engine bay and the condenser fuse was the culprit. Put a new one from the spare provided!!!
Now I have to get a couple of more spare fuse and these are very small and different from the fuse that we guys normally see...
Here I have taken a picture of the faulty fuse

Are these easily available???
Harjeev you can get those fuse from the TASS easily, it is better to take it from them instead of going to the 3rd party.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks