Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 18:20   #736
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I had read in some post in Team - BHP, as to how to understand the VIN of a Safari. Am unable to locate the post now.
See the posts below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post559949

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post725816

Hope this helps.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 55022 (56246) kms, 13.99 kpl, 45km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 31254 kms, 13.25 kpl, 55km/day)
Old 20th April 2009, 10:35   #737
Senior - BHPian

Truck went for 30k service today and service light troubleshooting. Engine wiring harness to be replaced as part of the solution.
I have a few questions.
Service advisor asked if brake pads have been replaced yet. I feel 28000kms is too early for brake pads to wear to a point of replacement. What is the average life of brakepads or replacement on a Safari ?
Is decarbonizing required at 28000kms? I dont see why? Service advisor suggested it, I declined.
I asked if I could Mobil 1. Was told that it will affect warranty. He asked me to speak to Tata motors before using Mobil 1 to clarify warranty status. Any comments/suggestions?
Are shock absorbers replaced under warranty at 28000kms ? Isnt Shock absorber wear at 28k too early?
Friends, Please advise.
Regards,
J

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 20th April 2009 at 10:40.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:46   #738
BANNED

Less than 35K km, the shocks should be replaced under warranty.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:50   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The Air con of my Safari stopped cooling all of a sudden.
At first I checked all the fuse's, the ones that are inside the cabin and they were fine. Then I checked the fuse in the engine bay and the condenser fuse was the culprit. Put a new one from the spare provided!!!
Now I have to get a couple of more spare fuse and these are very small and different from the fuse that we guys normally see...
Here I have taken a picture of the faulty fuse

Are these easily available???
I had same issue twice. I now carry couple of spare 20A and 25A fuses. You can get them at the TASS. Each Costs Rs 30.
Old 20th April 2009, 19:25   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Less than 35K km, the shocks should be replaced under warranty.
I specifically checkup the shock and they are cover on warranty. Now I am not sure whether its under normal warranty or extended warranty but yes as hrag has mentioned its till 35k kms and should be replaced FOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
I had same issue twice. I now carry couple of spare 20A and 25A fuses. You can get them at the TASS. Each Costs Rs 30.
Thanks chaxy..
I too want to carry spare for all the amperage 5/10/15/20/25. You see that these will not be easily available out of station.

Also I discovered that there is a small plucker in the engine bay fuse box for taking out the fuses. nice thought by TATA...
Old 26th April 2009, 07:32   #741
Senior - BHPian

My Safari is due for a head replacement on Wed. One of the injectors is jammed and will not open after trying for 3 days, therefore the head replacement.
Details here>
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-7.html

I have one question for the experts.
When the head is replaced with a new one isnt necessary to also replace all the valves and the associated components ?
I feel this is necessary since the old valves may not necessarily fit well enough to maintain optimal power as delivered the earlier head-valve setup.
If yes, then should I be asking the TASS to replace all the associated head components(valves,etc) or just specific ones ?
Or is it ok to just replace the head and fix the old components?

Please advise.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 26th April 2009 at 07:34.
Old 26th April 2009, 09:04   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
My Safari is due for a head replacement on Wed. One of the injectors is jammed and will not open after trying for 3 days, therefore the head replacement.
Jay, the valves should certainly be renewed with the head. Valves 'bed' into their respective seats (in the head) and trying to use the old ones will mean a fair amount of grinding & lapping to make them seal well enough. This is completely unacceptable as it amounts to having done a 'top overhaul' of the engine!

Valve operating gear like pushrods, rocker arms, tappets etc. can be re-used. If the camshaft sits in there it can be reused but the camshaft bearings should be renewed.

The foreseeable problem here is how you will verify that things have been done properly/ethically? Maybe it would be best to first ask them for the details of the scope of the work. If valves renewal, camshaft bearings renewal etc. are not mentioned, you'll have to virtually depute someone to SIT there and oversee the work being done!
Old 26th April 2009, 09:52   #743
BHPian

Friends, This happened today morning as i when i driving on the highway. A stone came flying out of nowhere and hit the windshield.
The result is below. Need the following info from you as i never faced windshield issues with any of the cars.

1. Do i need to replace the windshield immediately?
2. How much will replacement cost? Will insurance cover glass?

Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-image_105.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-image_106.jpg  

Last edited by chaxy : 26th April 2009 at 09:53.
Old 26th April 2009, 10:05   #744
Senior - BHPian

Chaxy,

Bad! Very bad. Must be some rotten & jealous person! Hope that person gets a similar treatment!!!

Coming back to this - yes change the windshield. Totally unsafe like this. For glass I guess you get 50% coverage from insurance.
Old 26th April 2009, 10:15   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Friends, This happened today morning as i when i driving on the highway. A stone came flying out of nowhere and hit the windshield.
The result is below. Need the following info from you as i never faced windshield issues with any of the cars.

1. Do i need to replace the windshield immediately?
2. How much will replacement cost? Will insurance cover glass?

This is really sad. I too had a similar incident about 6 months. I was on the Delhi Manesar Highway and was following a truck loaded with small pebbles. All off a sudden a stone comes flying, I am not sure whether it was from the load the truck was carrying or from the rear tyres, (sometime stones get caught between them) and my windshield gets a crack just below the passenger side wiper and that too towards the edge. But the damage on my glass was very little compared to yours, and hense I have not got it replaced.

However I inquired from 'Windshield Experts' and after claiming insurance and all, my side of the liability was working out to be approx 1800 bucks, and the mirror, I am not too sure on this front, costs roughly between 10-12k or so.
Old 26th April 2009, 11:06   #746
BHPian

Guys, I called the TASS (Mallik motors) and enquired about the front windshield. It costs RS 5750. My insurance agent said it would be 50% claimed. Altho not a big amount but the thought of getting my safari under the knife is killing me. :(
Old 26th April 2009, 11:37   #747
Senior - BHPian

@Anupji > thanks for the info. I will certainly call and speak to the Tass tomm regarding new valves & camshaft bearings. Is there anything else that will need to go in NEW alongwith the head ? I will personally ensure that all the items that go in are NEW. It will be a holiday well spent at a TASS workshop and see things firsthand.

@ CHAXY > recently replaced my front windshield from WE 3 weeks ago. Had a similar but bigger crack than yours due to a coconut. Cost 8500 all inclusive. Tass quoted 11500(they are a total ripoff). Front windshield is covered for 100% insurance. You might have to bear the cost of labour & glue. The same beading is used.

Cheers,
J
Old 26th April 2009, 12:49   #748
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
For glass I guess you get 50% coverage from insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
You might have to bear the cost of labour & glue. The same beading is used.
The glass gets 100% reimbursement. Labour also would be completely covered. Any rubber parts is covered 50%. Not very sure about the glue. At least Rs 500 for processing and you would lose your NCB.

Windshield Experts are good for this from various reports here.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:21   #749
Team-BHP Support

Car unstead at high speed

Two issues
Last weekend I made a long trip to Amritsar.
On NH1 dual carriageway I was doing around 90-100kmph and I could feel the safari going left/right, as if slightly drifting, similar, but not as sharp , to tramlining.
I had to continuously give steering input to keep her in a straight line.
I remember when this happened on our 800, the front shocks had to be changed.
Is this expected behavior at that speed or the front shocks are gone?
Is there a way to check this. I tried pushing down the front, it comes back and does not oscillate.
There were very low crosswinds, nothing major

Even when on internal recirculation every time I tail a truck or pass through a smoky/dusty area, strong smell of smoke etc., comes inside. TASS had asjusted some flap and said it will not happen again, but I still get lot of smoke inside(to the point of discomfort). Nowadays they are burning fields in PB, and every time you pass through a smoky section, there is small smell inside the car, enough to make you cough a bit and make your eyes water.
Is this normal? Is the safari air con system designed to let in outside air even when on internal recirculation?
Old 28th April 2009, 15:47   #750
BANNED

tsk1979, 1. could be different tyre pressure? Has this been ruled out? 2. No vehicle is air-tight in the recirculation mode. Some smells from outside will creep in, especially the bad, horrible smells (you will never smell fresh flowers being sold on the roadside ;-))

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks