Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 17:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
My 1996 lx with 120000 km on the clock still drives like a gem.(original clutch).The only thing i have changed is the suspension,i am running her on konis.Ask the Bhpians as they have seen the car wen i took her for the monsoon drive and it made a verna CRDI beg for mercy.
I see a torquey red beast calling for a re-match!

Yours is a finely maintained machine CK. My '96 baby was 8 years young and 1.25 lac on the odo when I let her go in '03. Loved her to bits. Only grouse was the electrics packing it in a few times towards the end.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:40   #17
BHPian

The esteem is one good vehicle.

I am having a 2003 model & run around 1lac 3thousand kilometer & still running very good. So dont be worried, you can enjoy till 1.5lac.

Regards
Deepak
Old 22nd August 2008, 01:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Esteem is the best car designed by Suzuki. Every time i see the DZire i find myself squirming with disgust.

Last edited by nickatnite : 22nd August 2008 at 01:34.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Only grouse was the electrics packing it in a few times towards the end.
Very true. I am going to have a full revamp on that very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Every time i see the DZire i find myself squirming with disgust.
Same here.
Old 15th October 2008, 14:05   #20
BHPian

Its a beauty when it comes to revving. Requires regular maintenance work, which is not expensive at all.

Whenever a part gives a problem, change it with MGP and then its good enough again.

But bottom line is, when on highway, it can keep up with almost all the normal cars, and depending on the driver, beat most of them.
Old 15th October 2008, 14:30   #21
JRD
BHPian

hey there..
my esteem is 8 years old and has 87k on the odo.. no probs at all. My buddies esteem is the first gen esteem. it has done 3 lac 25k on the same engine. there were no major issues except that it just had mid end power left.

So you should be just fine for 2 3 years. as for the rattling get new door hinges (Rs 2200 approx) and door linings (Rs 4500 MGA complete set) and it shall be rattle free.
only changing the hinges should also work just fine if you dont want to spend on the linings.
Old 15th October 2008, 17:40   #22
BHPian

My '96 Esteem had well over 1,50,000 kms when we sold it. Engine compression was healthy (synthetic oil. Not a single oil change missed) and the car was still reliable at the time of selling. However, admittedly, it has lost its charm and felt....old.

I'd say the Esteem has a very long life.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:33   #23
BHPian

MY Stock Condition 2002 Esteem VX has done 98K on the odo.. Believe it or not! If I can reach Trichur town from Bangalore Silk board junction in 6.5 hours, There's definitely something special under that hood! and on the same trip returning 17kmpl with full on AC makes it a very special car for me!
I just love my esteem. and I've been into this body shell since 1993 when my father got home our first Maruti 1000 and since then this is my 3rd Esteem.
I vouch for Esteem! It can take you to 2L easily if you maintain it properly!.
Old 15th June 2010, 20:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Love you Esteem.

Esteem is truly a legend. I don't know if they make cars as reliable as the Esteem these days. BTW, I still have my Esteem. . Not planning to ever sell it. Its my first love.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:16   #25
BHPian

Esteem is a great car. I have been in an Esteem since 96 and if I count my dads cars as well, this is the 4th in the family. My first was a 95/96 Esteem. It was a gem of a car. Was the fastest Esteem I have driven. I sold it when it had done over 1.5k kms and I regret selling it. I now have a 2005 Esteem Vxi while dad also has a 2006 Esteem. As long as you get it serviced regularly, it will never give you any problems. Keep it for as long as you want.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:09   #26
BHPian

i have a carb esteem of 96 make.
it is still in beautiful condition and my wheel alignment guy always admires it since there is no underbody rust.
i got this 4 years back and when the odo reading was 60K and now it is 1.25 lacs on the meter.

good bits...
trouble free
low maintainence
light weight and sporty
easy to handle and manouver on city roads
good car for body mods
cheap spares and easy availability
good service network and all local mechs can attend to this car
good low seating position for stress free long rides
good road grip and control at high speeds

now the bad bits

flimsy build and rattles on bad roads
doesnt give enough confidence after 140 kmph
AC will not last forever, compressor will die at around 80K ( common compaint )
getting in and out of this car is a pain mainly for elders
some people do not like the very low seating
very bad resale value.

i have got the front suspension overhauled and the all door hinges replaced so now my car feels good and no rattles.
all tyres changed once and regular service at 10K intervals.
engine is smooth and powerful

traditionally esteems and Zen engines are built to run 3lac kms and i have seen some good esteems in germany which have lasted over 4 lacs too with one engine overhaul in between.

i am planning to keep my esteem till it runs since the resale value is so low for my car that it doesnt make sense to sell it.
but otherwise will plan for one more car with PS and PW
Old 4th July 2011, 20:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Hello friends,

I just picked up a midnight black Esteem Vxi 2005 model last week (51000 kms is displayed on the odo, though I cannot rule out the chance that it might have actually logged a bit more).

I am beginning to really love this vehicle, as it's real fun to drive

One issue though. I find that I need to rev up the engine to 2000 to 2500 rpm before I can get it to start moving in 1st gear, that too with some mild shuddering. Is this normal ?

I have not driven Esteems much in the past, so feedback would be appreciated as to whether the clutch needs adjustment / replacement? It is a bit of a pain right now in bumper to bumper traffic scenarios, needing frequent revving of the engine to take off from standstill.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mooza : 4th July 2011 at 20:35.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 21:03   #28
BHPian

Not sure what the problem is, but my esteem easily moves as start releasing the clutch. Usually esteem clutch lasts until about 1 lakh KMs unless it is abused. Mine is 95k and doing fine.

I guess some adjustment at MASS should be good enough.
Old 4th July 2011, 22:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks, Gypsyfreak, for your advice, and I am now sufficiently armed to approach the True Value guys from whom I picked up the car !

The way the True Value sales chaps kept parroting that the True Value warranty covers only the gearbox, engine and suspension and not the clutch and brakes now makes me think they already knew about the fading clutch, which I probably missed out during my highway condition test drives, which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, my True Value purchasing experience was quite good overall.

Anyways, hoping it is just a small adjustment to be done to the clutch. I plan to drive to Mangalore and back over the weekend, hence my concern. Will update the findings soon.
Old 5th July 2011, 10:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hello friends,
One issue though. I find that I need to rev up the engine to 2000 to 2500 rpm before I can get it to start moving in 1st gear, that too with some mild shuddering. Is this normal ?
90% its the clutch , get it checked otherwise I don't see any problems.Congrats again !!

OT : clicked thanks accidentally.
rjstyles69 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks