Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Firstly I got the car from True Value but opted w/o warranty. Immediately after delivery I took it to a MASS and got the car thoroughly checked. No issues diagnosed in the car. Previous service history shows the car was last serviced in MASS in 2009 Dec. After that it was done outside.

Am guessing he would have maintained it well, though I guess that is the one risk you take with a pre-worshipped vehicle, unless you know the vehicle or it has been serviced with an A.S.S all its life.

I agree but cars of this time easily sell for 1.7L. I got it for much less with 5 brand new tires.

There are two possibilities here. One is that they were unable to sell the car for a long time and hence marked the car down to get rid of it. The second is that there is some issue with the car (accident, flood, dying parts, clocked etc.) but given that you got the vehicle thoroughly checked at a MASS, I seriously doubt the second.

If you put it that way, I am definitely paranoid
See how good paranoia is for your car
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:09   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
See how good paranoia is for your car
I test drove and booked the car the same day the previous owner let go of it to True Value. Absolutely no rusting in the car (hope it stays that way), no noise from the suspension, engine very smooth. The car was taken on lease from LIC and since his lease got over a year back he is selling this and upgrading to a SX4. With True Value handling the transfer, I am sure they had the paperwork checked.

Am getting a mileage of 14.7 in kolkata traffic with 60% AC on.
Also I exchanged my 10 year old zen with this car. I guess I got ripped of there cause I just got 60k for a 2002 Vxi model
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:43   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I test drove and booked the car the same day the previous owner let go of it to True Value. Absolutely no rusting in the car (hope it stays that way), no noise from the suspension, engine very smooth. The car was taken on lease from LIC and since his lease got over a year back he is selling this and upgrading to a SX4. With True Value handling the transfer, I am sure they had the paperwork checked.

Am getting a mileage of 14.7 in kolkata traffic with 60% AC on.
Also I exchanged my 10 year old zen with this car. I guess I got ripped of there cause I just got 60k for a 2002 Vxi model
Pay more for the Esteem and get more for the Zen. Pay less for the Esteem and get less for the Zen. SAME DIFFERENCE.

Anyway, still a decent deal all said and done with a good condition car that you are using. A mileage of 15, a more comfortable car and another 5 to 10 years of hassle free motoring. What more could you ask for.
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:12   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I do try to keep my cars well and maintain a 5k - 6k oil change, etc. The reason am skeptical is because I got it a bit cheap I guess. The previous owner is some hot shot with LIC and has now upgraded to a SX4. So am I just lucky or is there some issue with the car.

I have already driven it for 300 - 400 kms and (touch wood) its very smooth. I guess am a little paranoid.
I have told you before and telling you again as mentioned by others in this thread, the esteem can last ages if maintained well. After owning a Baleno for 3 years and 50,000 Kms, there must be some reason that I went for a pre-owned esteem .
I used to change engine oil in my Baleno every 3000/4000 kms. Nowadays, I have become much less paranoid and change every 6K.
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:49   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I have told you before and telling you again as mentioned by others in this thread, the esteem can last ages if maintained well. After owning a Baleno for 3 years and 50,000 Kms, there must be some reason that I went for a pre-owned esteem .
I used to change engine oil in my Baleno every 3000/4000 kms. Nowadays, I have become much less paranoid and change every 6K.
Point taken Sir
Old 7th April 2012, 12:33   #96
BHPian

My uncle owns a 2002 Model Esteem VX. The car has done nearly 1 lakh kms and is in good condition except for the AC. His AC problems started about six months back, the compressor was gone, which he replaced, even that has not helped. He checked it with the MASS (Sarathy Trivandrum) they could not find any leaks and instead topped up the gas, which worked for a while, then he checked it with another mechanic who found a leak and fixed it, again worked for about 3 weeks now its terrible again. Took it to the same guy he said there is no leak, then to another mechanic who could not find any problem either.

Can anyone help me find a decent car AC mechanic in Trivandrum ?
Old 17th June 2012, 16:55   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
the compressor was gone, which he replaced, even that has not helped. He checked it with the MASS (Sarathy Trivandrum) they could not find any leaks and instead topped up the gas, again worked for about 3 weeks now its terrible again.
There is probably a leak that they are unable to find. I went to Varun Motors in Begumpet and they tightened just about everything and got the AC working - that was 3 years ago and my AC still works fine and gets everyone chilly in the evenings.
Old 18th June 2012, 13:45   #98
BHPian

I have the following issues with my 2006 Esteem which has done 33K km. I am the second owner and it has been with me since 2008.

1)Low mileage. Is returning about 9 – 10 kmpl in Bangalore with the AC on since last service (used to return 10+ kmpl before). Gave me 13 kmpl on the highway (5 adults + plenty of luggage) with AC on recently.
2) The clutch feels off. Sometimes there is lack of acceleration in first gear till the clutch pedal is released fully. So I end up revving a bit to get the car moving.

Took the car to my regular M.A.S.S today for the above problems.
The Air filter has been cleaned, car tuned & clutch adjusted. Honestly the clutch now feels like crap. There is too much play (hope that's the right usage). As in, the clutch does not come into effect for about half the time when I am pressing the pedal. The pedal is now loose and feels awkward.

Have been advised to change the clutch plates approx cost 7K. As the car has done 33K km, is it possible for the clutch to wear out this quick? I do tend to use the clutch quite a bit. For eg, at traffic signals, I prefer to stop with the gear engaged (where there is no timer), I also use half clutch when on an incline and used to drive on the notorious ORR some time back when it was a total mess. For ever in 1st gear as the traffic hardly moved. Did this for about 8 months.

Is it time for me to change the clutch plates?

3) I have also been asked to change the left rear wheel bearing. That's another 8K! Is it advisable to try and source it from places like J.C. Road? I understand that I can get it cheaper by about 2 to 3K? Or is the saving not worth the risk?

I intend keeping the car for a couple of years atleast and like to maintain it well. I hate it when there are issues. Unfortunately these two (clutch & rear wheel bearing) are not cheap to repair hence my rant.

Given that the car is 6 years old, I also need to change the tyres. That’s another 20K.

So, in all I have to spend about 35K on the car. Does this seem reasonable/sensible?

Thanks in advance for any advise/thoughts.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:28   #99
BHPian

I want you take it to another workshop for a second opinion or maybe a third opinion wouldn't do much harm when this much money is at stake.

Personally, none of the repairs are required to be done at this mileage, this is what I think. But, are you sure the car's odo hasn't been tampered with?

Check with the A.S.S. the car was serviced at before you bought it from the previous owner.

And the left rear wheel bearing must NOT cost 8K, for my Zen, both the front wheel bearings were changed for 2000-2500 bucks, so 8k for a single rear wheel bearing seems pretty steep.

Check the Maruti Website and search for an MGP dealer at your place, they will most deifinitely give you the correct price, the dealers do keep a margin for themselves on parts.

Other than that, buy spares from an MGP dealer and get them fixed from a good mechanic.

With regards to low mileage, do the following-

1. Get the throttle body DISMANTLED (IAC valve, TP Sensor) and then cleaned by hand. Do make sure that the mechanic marks the original position of the TP sensor before dismantling it.
2. Get the MAP sensor cleaned
3. Change the PCV valve (if you experience rough idle RPM)
4. Get the spark plugs cleaned and the gap adjusted with a feeler gauge

This should solve your mileage problems.
abhipuru16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 15:33   #100
BHPian

[quote=abhipuru16;2812529]I want you take it to another workshop for a second opinion or maybe a third opinion wouldn't do much harm when this much money is at stake.

Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated.
Will go for a 2nd opinion and also work on your suggestions with regard to the mileage.

Let me answer some of your queries.

1) The odo reading - I picked this up from Maruti True Value and they gave it to me in writing that the car had done 11K km. So, I am hoping it reflects genuine mileage.

2) The rear wheel bearing cost - Unfortunately, they are expensive as it is the hub & bearing together (unlike the front wheels where just the bearing needs to be changed). I did call MGP and they confirmed that the price is Rs 8,094/-

Ravi
Old 18th June 2012, 19:34   #101
BHPian

I have a 1998 Carb Esteem.. second owner.. it has done 1.4 lac km.. and no issues whatsoever barring the A/C.. I have spend all kind of money on the AC with all kind of people.. but it only stays with me for 2-3 weeks.. it is not really problem as this is my second car for daily run about.. but trust me.,. Esteem is a best car to keep.. no upkeep cost..

One the problems front.. these are the problems I have come across while I kept it

1. A/C,.. it does not work.. when it works.. it is not enough
2. Power Windows.. especially the rear ones.. they have no life.. so I stopped changing them

Returns good mileage… good acceleration.. would not sell it ever.. and maybe someday restore it..
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 10:04   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
A/C,.. it does not work.. when it works.. it is not enough. Returns good mileage… good acceleration..
I have a 2004 Esteem Di and haven't had the AC work effectively in summer afternoons, but it makes the cabin very chilly in the evenings and in the monsoons. Also, the AC works best when you are over 60 km/hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
The odo reading - I picked this up from Maruti True Value and they gave it to me in writing that the car had done 11K km. So, I am hoping it reflects genuine mileage.
It is difficult to determine the actual mileage because the odometer has only 5 digits. If I were to read your odometer, I wouldn't know if the car traveled 11,000 km or 111,000 km. In the U.S., dealers mark this on a form indicating that the limitation of the odometer makes it difficult to determine the actual mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Have been advised to change the clutch plates approx cost 7K. I do tend to use the clutch quite a bit. For eg, at traffic signals, I prefer to stop with the gear engaged. half clutch when on an incline. in 1st gear as the traffic hardly moved. Did this for about 8 months.

Given that the car is 6 years old, I also need to change the tyres. That’s another 20K. So, in all I have to spend about 35K on the car. Does this seem reasonable/sensible?
You would incur clutch plate expenses with any car with mostly city usage in stop-and-go traffic and it wouldn't show on your odometer. You should avoid driving uphill with half clutch whenever possible - shift to a lower gear, even 1st gear. I imagine that an electric car or hybrid would do better in city traffic but not on an uphill incline.

Given the driving conditions, I would suggest you treat the clutch replacement as a consumable expense (think of it as a printer catridge that you use and throw away, as opposed to repairs for the printer). Tires are consumables too and should last you a while. Besides, the 13" tires used by the Esteem are quite cheap compared to the 16" tires so that's a lower running cost right there.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:43   #103
BHPian

Check if your AC Condenser fan spins just when you switch ON your AC when the car is stationery.

This might be the reason why your AC feels effective after 60kmph.

Also check if the Condenser and Evaporator are clean. Evaporator needs cleaning every couple of months (the condenser, every week).

Try to get the outside air intake for AC sealed, this way your evaporator will not be clogged with leaves and will remain clean for longer.

Even if you switch the AC recirculation ON in your car, there is still a considerable amount of air being taken in from outside, atleast in my Zen. I sealed the opening myself and it now cools better.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 19th June 2012 at 12:47.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:13   #104
Senior - BHPian

I am seeking some inputs/advice on two sore areas of my Esteem here. To set the context, my Esteem completed 9 years in Oct 2012, is a MPFI, VXI model and has 45K on the odo. Now coming to the queries I have:

1. Clutch - I replaced the clutch (Ceekay) for the first time about two years ago with Valero as suggested by the mechanic. I went ahead with the replacement hoping to get better (read that as softer) clutch feel and response. However, Valero was no better and in less than two years and with less than 3k covered post the clutch replacement, I am having a hard clutch yet again. I was told that Daikin is the brand I should be looking for. I also heard that it is OE for Honda and I can vouch for the softness of the clutch in all Hondas I have driven till date. The question is, where is it that I can source Daikin clutch plate for the Esteem.

2. Power Windows - The PWs of the Esteem is one of the most sluggiest that I have seen on any car till date. Is it possible that a more powerful motor can be retrofitted on all the doors to make it work better ?

But for the above issues, the car drives like a dream and has served me extensively well for the last 9 years.

Appreciate any pointers in this regard. Thanks !
Old 21st November 2012, 17:53   #105
BHPian

rr_zen here are my few cents for your problems:

1. clutch: Try changing the clutch cable. After 3 years clutch of my esteem was also rock hard and just by changing cable it became as soft as a brand new car. Use geniune MGP cable only.

2. Its a design flaw I think in esteem. Try to live with it. Use silicone spray which some members here said makes power window run well.
Hashim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks