Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:01   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

1. Any internal engine part can be washed with petrol / kerosene mix and that has been happening in garages across for many years.
Give a thorough scrub/wash with petrol or kerosene (ghaaslet..!!) and the part is clean.

Hats off to your passion Jennifer Sir, but what I feel is the kind of cleaning effort you are putting (not all) is good for your engine aesthetics, not for the mechanics. I don't buy the logic that it would make your machine run better.. Painting the turbocharger components. Common.. Give me a break..!

Last edited by cyclops : 2nd July 2009 at 11:03.
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:48   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Any internal engine part can be washed with petrol / kerosene mix and that has been happening in garages across for many years.
Quote:
Give a thorough scrub/wash with petrol or kerosene (ghaaslet..!!) and the part is clean.
Its time, Why do you waste Petrol to clean the engine? You can clean the carbon using WATER only, but it may take 1-2 months. If you see my photos, we are just using a 'paint brush' to clean the engine. Even a hard brush will brake the metal particles and pass it to pores.

Quote:
that has been happening in garages across for many years.
Then why Castrol and Wurth can't live with Petrol/Kerozine mix?

Quote:
I don't buy the logic that it would make your machine run better.. Painting the turbocharger components
Heat resistance paint will not improve performance, it will protect the components from rust. If you use ordinary paint on Turbo charger then you are a FOOL like TATA engineers.

See how TATA Paint looks after 4 years: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/981676-post37.html

It's almost one year now and my turbocharger looks as new now, do you know why?

Also remember this Decarb process is just a part to improve the performance. You car wont fly, if you did this decarb - I have spent almost 1 lach on my engine parts to improve the performance of a TCIC - but not ready to explain everything here.

I think you people started to fight with me as usual, I am just leaving from this thread as I already got 2 infractions.

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 2nd July 2009 at 13:08.
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:16   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then why Castrol and Wurth can't live with Petrol/Kerozine mix?
Because they need to survive too and yes they are definitely better than petrol / kerosene mix for cleaning. Ultimately its similar Hydrocarbons working for our benefit!

Quote:
If you use ordinary paint on Turbo charger then you are a FOOL like TATA engineers.
And you bought a vehicle manufactured by them

Quote:
I think you people started to fight with me as usual, I am just leaving from this thread as I already got 2 infractions.
Sir, I repeat, too much of chest thumping is bad for health!

And when you come to a public forum, members can have a different POV - right? Thats not fighting!

Last edited by headers : 2nd July 2009 at 13:18.
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:40   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Because they need to survive too and yes they are definitely better than petrol / kerosene mix for cleaning.
Exactly, I too recommend Diesel or Rustoline or kerosene mix or WD40 as long they are not using any Emery sheets / metal brushes to clean inside the cylinders and pistons. And how they clean the catalytic converters?

Quote:
And you bought a vehicle manufactured by them
Because its cheap as I cant buy a Land cruiser.

Quote:
And when you come to a public forum, members can have a different POV - right? Thats not fighting!
I agree, but how one can compare a paint job against the engine performance? Isn't it ragging?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 2nd July 2009 at 13:44.
Old 2nd July 2009, 14:31   #110
BHPian

Excellent post , I really do wish someone could recommend such a mechanic in mumbai. I have always believed the manual decarb to be the best solution after 3 years of city running. Even an italian tune-up , while much easier and a lot more fun will not give u similar results.

Jennifer, you seem to be experimenting a lot with additives, any chance you used BG 44K ?
Old 2nd July 2009, 14:40   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Even an italian tune-up , while much easier and a lot more fun will not give u similar results.
I dont recommend italian tuneup. You will get better results if you manually clean the catalytic converter.

Quote:
any chance you used BG 44K ?
No, BG is not in direct sales and you have to give your car to TATA dealer for a BG process. Go for it, its not bad at all.
Old 2nd July 2009, 19:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

come on guys. whats the issue if he paints the turbo? did he ever mention that his car is flying due to cleaning of parts?
if you see the pictures clearly there was hell lot of carbon in the engine.
good he cleaned everything. his engine will become more healthy.
also a clean neat looking engine beneath a bonnet is a desire of every car owner.

i have used BG 44k. its an excellent product. no harm in trying.
Old 2nd July 2009, 23:38   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
No, BG is not in direct sales and you have to give your car to TATA dealer for a BG process. Go for it, its not bad at all.

Sikand Stanley is the distributor for BG , I walked in and picked up a can
Old 3rd July 2009, 00:01   #114
BHPian

Quote:
I walked in and picked up a can
Did you bought a 44k? But BG 210 Fuel System cleaners needs BG 9210 which is not a consumer product and available at dealers.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:04   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even yesterday itself we cleaned the catalytic converter.
Why did you feel the need to clean the catalytic converter?
I thought that in most cases (if not all) it is self cleaning. Also how did you clean it? What solvent did you use? Or did you use heat or high pressure air?
Cat-Cons are ptetty delicte and that platinum or whatever they all it is not as inert (some cleaning solvents will etch it) as is commonly thought.

You mentioned a 412 boat? Which boat is that? I am fond of the sea too.

Last edited by navin : 3rd July 2009 at 10:05.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:42   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
come on guys. whats the issue if he paints the turbo?
No issues at all Amit. I in fact appreciate the passion Jenni has towards his car/truck (or may I call cleaning fetish? ). But I just wanted to clarify that apart from aesthetics or self-satisfaction levels there is no mechanical gain by this kinda detailing.. Nothing against Jenni..

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Navin..? In engine-wingine thread..! I was not aware you have other interests as well!
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:44   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Because I opened it to see the condition.

Quote:
I thought that in most cases (if not all) it is self cleaning.
?

Quote:
Also how did you clean it? What solvent did you use? Or did you use heat or high pressure air?
Catalytic converter needs ultrasonic cleaning.

Quote:
Its a shipping boat.

Quote:
there is no mechanical gain by this kinda detailing
Opening up the car engine seems to be 'DETAILING' for your eyes: Auto detailing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh My God. I am going to suicide.
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:09   #118
BANNED

I will be very reluctant to fiddle inside a Catalytic Converter. The Cat has a matrix coated with the catalyst (at one time Platinum/Palladium). The matrix is pretty fine and delicate. I will be loathe to even tap it sharply to displace the carbon etc. which may deposit in there. A solvent / ultrasonic clean is definitely out. The best way to clean a Cat is to allow it to warm up fully. It burns out the crud.
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:58   #119
BHPian

Quote:
A solvent / ultrasonic clean is definitely out. The best way to clean a Cat is to allow it to warm up fully. It burns out the crud.
Its True and a Head-ache to clean the Catalytic converter regularly. I am just thinking to brake it completely in my next trip to the workshop.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:09   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Its True and a Head-ache to clean the Catalytic converter regularly. I am just thinking to brake it completely in my next trip to the workshop.
Unless it is very badly choked/clogged just leave it as it is. looks far worse than what is actually the case. Otherwise, you are looking at about 10k to replace the cat!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks