Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2023, 20:47   #1426

Re: DSG transmission fluid - DQ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Thanks for the clarity. Looks like there wont be any benefit in going with aftermarket replacement like OWS or Liqui Moly. Cheers!
Liqui Moly one of the best ever oil for the Laura diesel and this is from my own experience. Trust me you won’t even know that the engine is on. It makes the engine too smooth. Try it bro.
Old 25th February 2023, 09:41   #1427
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Need Advice!

How is the laura 2.0TDI MT? My specific question is towards engine life,does it drink oil? i have seen a 2012 skoda laura with 62000 kms and i like it. What should i be watching out?

Please advice.
Old 17th July 2023, 13:51   #1428
BHPian

Is there any WA group of Laura owners pan India or Mumbai and around?

Interested in being part of one. Please DM me if there is one.
Old 19th July 2023, 17:36   #1429
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
My car Skoda Laura is now 17 years old and I had taken it for the annual service to Raja Skoda in Bangalore for the below issues.
1. Annual service @179000 KMS
2. Emission Work shop error correction
3. Engine and Gearbox vibrations
4. Few other issues

Not once, the service was done such that all issues were fixed. If I write on it, it will be a big post. Recent one is given below.

During the recent service, Raja Skoda gave me a whooping estimate for the repairs for nearly 1.2 Lakhs. The service advisor called me for my approval and said that my car was old and hence the VAS software that they have is no longer compatible with my car and due to which the Emission problem cannot be solved. I asked him if that can't be solved, what is the use of spending so much money for other repairs. He said that is a limitation and if I wish I can take back the car. I paid the fees for inspection and other charges and took back my car.

I was so disappointed that while taking my car that I did not check the car completely. After two days, when I opened the boot, I saw that the under-body engine cover that was removed by them was not fixed back. I called up the advisor and told him the issue. He first argued with me that he had checked the car and only then handed over to me after all the fixes. I shared with him the picture of the cover from my boot and only then he agreed to get it fixed. Another dissatisfied service.

Experts in this forum: I have lost hope on the Skoda service now. Please suggest a good alternative shop in Bangalore to get the servicing done for my Laura and fix the errors. If things go well, I would like to keep her for few more years. She is a Gem but sadly none to do a proper service.
Old 19th July 2023, 17:38   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Is there any WA group of Laura owners pan India or Mumbai and around?

Interested in being part of one. Please DM me if there is one.
There used to be a Skoda India Group, not a Laura specific one. I was a part of it when I had a Rapid.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 15:37   #1431
BHPian

Hello to everyone who watches this post
Need advice from technical minds here on this forum for a very peculiar problem which I have been facing with my 2010 model Škoda laura 1.9 tdi PD engine driven 91000 kms, since last 3-4 months

Since the start of summer season, car’s idle RPM started shooting up from around 850 to around 1050, initially it happened only intermittently, when the car was heated and stationary on traffic lights, another problem that came with this was the steering would act up with little jerks while turning when the RPM would be high, I took the car to my trusted mechanic, to whom I have been visiting since 6-7 years, he connected the laptop and it indicated a crank sensor error, cleared the codes to check whether it’s repeating, however the error was gone and didn’t came back again, I drove the car for few days but problem was not solved

I went to him again, during this time he opened hose pipe connecting turbo to the inter cooler and there was a little bit of oil in pipe, so he diagnosed it to be a bad turbo and suggested to change turbo core, until that time there was no smoky discharge from the tail pipe as well as very little engine oil consumption during the 8000-9000 km service interval that I religiously maintained, so I was naturally little sceptical about my mechanics diagnosis but agreed to go ahead with the replacement of turbo core, however even after the replacement problem didn’t go away

Few days after turbo work I started seeing white smoke emanating from tail pipe of the car , I took it back to my mechanic he opened that hose pipe again there was substantial amount of oil present there thus he straight away indicated, that piston rings are gone and engine needs rebuild, but this time I was not going to take his advice literally and decided to take a second opinion, I went to the ASS of Škoda at my place and asked them if they can perform an engine compression test to confirm the doubt, however they didn’t had the expert to do it, but they made another diagnosis that an exhaust return pipe connected to the turbo is lose and leaking oil, they fixed that pipe and immediately after that smoky discharge was gone

I drove the car for some days, there was no smoky discharge during this time but the RPM problem would come back again intermittently when I would come back to stop at red lights, recently I got the car’s oil changed and during that change I also put liquimoly ceratec engine additive, just after that change frequency of RPM problem increased many folds, earlier RPM would increase only when the car had reached maximum temperature however now rpms would increase even when the car was cold, also they would increase not only while standing still but even when I was driving at slow speeds

Just yesterday I took the car to ASS again to check for any error codes to diagnose the problem however there weren’t any errors, technician there just raised his hands up and said he couldn’t do anything and suggested to drive the car like this only, today I took the car back to my mechanic and he again suggested that engine is picking up oil which is getting accumulated at inter cooler which chokes it and that’s why RPM increase, i got the inter cooler cleaned from him, as he suggested this will relieve the problem for few days, but to my and my mechanic’s surprise, problem came back again after driving just 1 km from my mechanic

What I think after this whole episode is piston rings most probably are fine, I think even my turbo was fine, and we changed it unnecessarily, problem is some where else, that’s why I have come to the experts here to please guide me

Thanx
Old 5th February 2024, 15:37   #1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
Hello to everyone who watches this post
Need advice from technical minds here on this forum for a very peculiar problem which I have been facing with my 2010 model Škoda laura 1.9 tdi PD engine driven 91000 kms, since last 3-4 months
Thanx
I have had the exact same issue with my 2005 Hyundai Accent Petrol. Random engine jerks and stalls that happen at random with no rhyme or reason and erratic rpm swings on the tachometer. The error codes either made no sense or there were no error codes.

I will list out the major reasons that could cause this and I recommend you go find a good garage who will be patient enough to troubleshoot this with you.

Random engine stalls could be due to
1. Not enough fuel getting into the system (A heck of a lot more common in older cars and especially in diesel cars. Will elaborate more.)
2. Misfires from sensors going kaput (Crankshaft Postion Sensor, Mass Air Flow/Pressure Sensor, O2 sensor)
3. Throttle valve malfunction that makes the ECU think the throttle valve is not open or something of that sort
4. Exhaust getting blocked leading to backpressure buildup and misfires

So getting down to the nitty gritty of it, I would strongly recommend that you check your fuel filter and fuel pump. I doubt if fuel filters are changed as a regular service component even in company service centres because all service manuals operate under the assumption that we get jetfuel quality in our petrol bunks. Our fuel filters get clogged up and as a result the fuel pump would have to work overtime to maintain fuel pressure. Best case scenario, your fuel filter is clogged up. Worst case scenario, your fuel pump worked over time trying to maintain fuel pressure through a clogged fuel filter and is now messed up and would require servicing or replacement. In my case, a fuel filter change and a fuel pump servicing took care of it, although I think the damage had already been done and my car doesn't pickup as it used to.

So first order of business, fuel system. Check fuel filter, then the fuel pump and then if necessary the fuel lines. Its extremely unlikely fuel lines are blocked as that's why the fuel filter exists. But its likely to have gotten damaged and leaks could lead to loss in fuel pressure.

If this doesn't sort out your problems, then you can go down the list and check those components as well.

Random engine misfires and jerks and stalls are the worst and I feel you. They don't inspire confidence in the vehicle and severely limits the ability to drive anywhere reliably. Let me know how the troubleshooting goes.
superblover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 17:17   #1433
BHPian

Re: Heated ORVMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

I decided to check the Owner Manual and the Service Manual to figure out a way as I felt 2 mirrors can't go kaput together. And as I started reading the Owner's Manual, I realised the issue!

Apparently the heater in the ORVM only works if the ambient temperature is below 20C. Since it is never that cold here in Mumbai, the mirror heater won't get turned on.
I know I am replying to an old post, but this is god send. I am facing same issue in Mumbai and this information is very helpful. Was wondering to get it fixed in next workshop visit

-Sunil
Old 5th February 2024, 19:47   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblover View Post
I have had the exact same issue with my 2005 Hyundai Accent Petrol. Random engine jerks and stalls that happen at random with no rhyme or reason and erratic rpm swings on the tachometer. The error codes either made no sense or there were no error codes.

I will list out the major reasons that could cause this and I recommend you go find a good garage who will be patient enough to troubleshoot this with you.

Random engine stalls could be due to
1. Not enough fuel getting into the system (A heck of a lot more common in older cars and especially in diesel cars. Will elaborate more.)
2. Misfires from sensors going kaput (Crankshaft Postion Sensor, Mass Air Flow/Pressure Sensor, O2 sensor)
3. Throttle valve malfunction that makes the ECU think the throttle valve is not open or something of that sort
4. Exhaust getting blocked leading to backpressure buildup and misfires

So getting down to the nitty gritty of it, I would strongly recommend that you check your fuel filter and fuel pump. I doubt if fuel filters are changed as a regular service component even in company service centres because all service manuals operate under the assumption that we get jetfuel quality in our petrol bunks. Our fuel filters get clogged up and as a result the fuel pump would have to work overtime to maintain fuel pressure. Best case scenario, your fuel filter is clogged up. Worst case scenario, your fuel pump worked over time trying to maintain fuel pressure through a clogged fuel filter and is now messed up and would require servicing or replacement. In my case, a fuel filter change and a fuel pump servicing took care of it, although I think the damage had already been done and my car doesn't pickup as it used to.

So first order of business, fuel system. Check fuel filter, then the fuel pump and then if necessary the fuel lines. Its extremely unlikely fuel lines are blocked as that's why the fuel filter exists. But its likely to have gotten damaged and leaks could lead to loss in fuel pressure.

If this doesn't sort out your problems, then you can go down the list and check those components as well.

Random engine misfires and jerks and stalls are the worst and I feel you. They don't inspire confidence in the vehicle and severely limits the ability to drive anywhere reliably. Let me know how the troubleshooting goes.
I have sorted out the problem, how? Believe me, it was one hell of a techno-fact finding mission, burned a lot of money, but in the end everything sorted, I can post my whole ordeal if you want to know. Thanks a lot for your concern

amit_snk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 19:59   #1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
I have sorted out the problem, how? Believe me, it was one hell of a techno-fact finding mission, burned a lot of money, but in the end everything sorted, I can post my whole ordeal if you want to know. Thanks a lot for your concern

Always up for learning new ways of troubleshooting. I encourage you to post the details of your attempts to diagnose the issue because anyone else reading it might find it useful and it can help them greatly in narrowing down the problem with much less cost involved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks