Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 09:48   #1336
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoon9999 View Post
Dear Maverick,

Do check the lowers arms too, I've had somewhat similar issue wherein the arms bushes were being chewed away in quick succession like in 3-4 months. Initially I suspected sub standard bush quality, later on I found the lower arms were the actual culprit, got both of them changed, since then the bushes are intact and the ride quality is more planted.
Hello,
Looks like your swaybar is up for replacement.

The Borsehung one comes for around 9000 bucks and fits the Laura, Jetta, Passat and the Superb.

You will also need to change the stabilizer links.

While you are at that, since the entire front sub frame will need to be removed, give a once over to the entire set of bushes.

Though they look OK most of the time, the age hardens them and makes them a solid coupling rather than being resilient.

There are 14 to 18 bushes in all for the entire suspension and the kit is not too costly. Lemforder makes a good kit for the front and Meyle and Febi Bilstein have a complete front and rear kit which retails anywhere from 7 to 9 grand depending on what side of the bed the vendor woke up on.

Also check the tie rods, tie rod ends and ball joints, replace if they can be rotated freely without any effort.

If there is no rattle, I dont think you will need to replace anything else than the sway bar.

This should sort out your bounce issues.

Tires, if old, may have hardened but this does not look to be the issue.

My tubbits, if it helps.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 22:10   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Engine oil light is oil pressure. It appears as if the oil pressure is a little slower to rise then before.
Quote:
As long as the low oil pressure extinguishes after a few seconds I dont think there is anything to worry about.
In this particular generation of Skoda Octavia (and cars sharing similar platform and engine), the instrument cluster has warnings for both Oil Level (Yellow) and Oil Pressure (Red). It also provides flashing yellow warnings (with audible alert) for suspected faulty oil level sensors.
The oil level warning is also unique that it will disappear if bonnet is kept open for more than 30sec and come back only later. Details in the below snippet from the owner's manual.

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-skoda-engine-oil-cluster-warnings.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster View Post
So I have this peculiar problem with my 2013 Laura TDI 110. Every time I start the car, since my last 15k service, the engine oil tell tale light stays on in the instrument cluster for 4-5 seconds and then vanishes.
Could you please confirm the color of the tell tale light and if it falls in any of the above categories? Also, hope you have already checked whether the engine oil level is within normal ranges as per the dipstick.

Quote:
Also when idling, the car tends to have a strange sound like the belt slipping. What could that actually be? Any help is appreciated.
The oil pump module in this generation of the 2.0L TDI engine takes drive directly from one of the Balancer shafts (without using any chain or belts), and thus these issues are unlikely to be related. I would advise to have the auxiliary / timing belts checked for any excessive wear, reduced tension, interference with the covers etc.
Old 17th February 2020, 22:29   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
In this particular generation of Skoda Octavia (and cars sharing similar platform and engine), the instrument cluster has warnings for both Oil Level (Yellow) and Oil Pressure (Red). It also provides flashing yellow warnings (with audible alert) for suspected faulty oil level sensors.

The oil level warning is also unique that it will disappear if bonnet is kept open for more than 30sec and come back only later. Details in the below snippet from the owner's manual.

Interesting. I had no idea, so it looks like this might just be a low oil warning them. Lets hear if that is the case.

I have had only one car that also indicated oil level. On a Renault 18, the oil pressure gauge, also doubled as oil level gauge, prior to starting the engine.

Is this a feature on other VW / Skoda's too?

Another good example why it is very useful to read the owner manual!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 23:07   #1339
BHPian

This is more of an update, rather than a problem. Since the car was 8 years old, the interiors needed some freshening up. So, I got new seats and door pads done, dechromed the grill and got a sticker of BIC on the rear quarter glass.
The interiors are much nicer, most of the noise due to seats has gone and I think I have breathed at least 2 to 3 years of life in the car. Some pics for you to be the judge. Do share your views also, both positive and negative.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-20200216_181441.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-20200216_181320.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-20200216_181312.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-20200216_181233.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-20200216_181150.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-20200216_181105.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-20200216_180936.jpg  

Maverick1977 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 15:38   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Since the car was 8 years old, the interiors needed some freshening up. So, I got new seats and door pads done, dechromed the grill and got a sticker of BIC on the rear quarter glass.
Looks nice and fresh. Is the gear markings patch over the gear knob newly installed? Also, where did you get the stock music system replaced from?
greenoval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 17:02   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Looks nice and fresh. Is the gear markings patch over the gear knob newly installed? Also, where did you get the stock music system replaced from?

I too have the exact same query! I have been looking for an appropriate solution for the ICE. If that is resolved, I can live with this car for a while.
Old 9th March 2020, 20:01   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
This is more of an update, rather than a problem. Since the car was 8 years old, the interiors needed some freshening up. So, I got new seats and door pads done, dechromed the grill and got a sticker of BIC on the rear quarter glass.
The interiors are much nicer, most of the noise due to seats has gone and I think I have breathed at least 2 to 3 years of life in the car. Some pics for you to be the judge. Do share your views also, both positive and negative.
+ Interior looks neat, where did you get it done & whats the damage like?
- Not a fan of the blackened grill/logo.

Last edited by raihan : 9th March 2020 at 20:04.
Old 12th March 2020, 13:24   #1343
Senior - BHPian

After been thinking about changing the headset for a very long time, I decided to take the plunge yesterday. This was the only chink in my Laura which was forcing to think of an upgrade. Now that being sorted, I can think of keeping this car for sometime to come.

Ok, so what did I get ?

This

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20200312_090218_3.jpg

Bought this is at Cartouch at Santacruz, Mumbai. This is DHC 10.1" android tab with all capabilities like mirroring et al. Got a rear camera also. You can get more details here http://www.dhcindia.com/index.html

Now few things that I noticed:
  • The existing rear sensors work with this tab along with the camera.
  • However, I don't get to see the Temperature and the time which are set on the car computer / dashboard on this.
  • I was quite surprised to see that this shows each specific door being opened. Which is otherwise not present in the Laura.
  • However I have a problem. The doors shown are synced wrt to LHD cars. Any ideas how to reset it to RHD?
Today is the first day, let me use this and see how this experiment works.

P.S: Maverick_1977 helped me with the discussion around what to choose. Thanks for that!
MileCruncher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 21:52   #1344
BHPian

Engine Oil Level & Temperature Sensor - VW/Skoda/Audi

Quote:
Is this a feature on other VW / Skoda's too?
Hello Jeroen,

Yes, this is a pretty common feature in most VAG cars from mid-to-late 2000s, depending on when specific engines were rolled out into the various brands/models under the VW umbrella.
Essentially, irrespective of whether it is Petrol/Diesel engine, these vehicles have an additional Engine Oil Level/Temperature (a single combined) sensor in the sump that provides data to the Engine ECU. Depending on the models and type of instrument cluster used, the driver gets perhaps Yellow/Red Level/Pressure warnings, or additionally the Oil temperature read out also.
A typical version of such a sensor and basic details are included in the attachment.

Please note that the oil level sensing part is accurate only to provide basic info (i.e. engine oil level momentarily going below the calibrated minimum or maximum). Other OEMs like BMW has a more precise oil level sensors (capable to detecting change in levels of 100-250ml) that provides data via the onboard infotainment system. If I'm not mistaken most, if not all, of the recent BMWs no longer have a physical dipstick.

Additional info regarding VAG Oil Level/Temp sensor:
Depending on markets and models, VAG tends to delete this sensor also.
Example, for the 1.6TDI and 1.2TSI engines sold in India, they removed this sensor. Same engines sold in western EU in a VW Polo / Seat Ibiza however had them.
The first batch of owner's manuals in India for these engines still reflected EU condition indicating the Oil Level warning, but later they corrected it.
Among the latest VAG models, the level sensor can readout too-high values also, but not sure if they are as accurate as the BMW ones.

Oil temperature readout:
While the vehicle may have the Level/Temp sensor, depending on the instrument cluster used or specific model-based coding, the oil temperature readout may not be shown to the customer.

Examples:
  • Back in India, we have a 2012 Skoda Laura with 1.8TSI. This car is equipped with the Oil Level/Temp sensor and gives out the low level warnings in yellow (as I indicated in my previous post). But the instrument cluster cannot display the Oil temp readout (it was only possible in a higher spec which Skoda used to call 'Maxidot display' back then). However if I connect specific OBD adapters, I can readout the oil temp values.
  • We also have a 2009 Skoda Superb with 3.6FSI engine. This car is equipped with the so called 'Maxidot display' and thus provides Oil Temp readout also. Oil temp readings are available only above 50degC
  • It is very useful to see how the engine oil temperatures lag behind the coolant temperature, which I am pretty sure majority of owners and sometimes enthusiasts also don't realize.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Avinash
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 626_KI_Oil_level_sensors_HELLA_EN.pdf (276.9 KB, 371 views)
avinash_clt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 23:53   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Hello guys,

My facelift Laura 1.9 TDi has a whistling/wind noise between 100-125kmph. Beyond 125kmph the sound disappears and if I drive at 100-110kmph then it eventually disappears. It is annoying during highway drives. One particular observation I had was that the sound disappears even If I slightly roll down the drive side window. It’s not the wheel bearing neither any belts under the hood. I can only suspect the front windscreen or window beadings. Pls help?
Old 28th April 2020, 21:35   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello guys,

My facelift Laura 1.9 TDi has a whistling/wind noise between 100-125kmph. Beyond 125kmph the sound disappears and if I drive at 100-110kmph then it eventually disappears. It is annoying during highway drives. One particular observation I had was that the sound disappears even If I slightly roll down the drive side window. It’s not the wheel bearing neither any belts under the hood. I can only suspect the front windscreen or window beadings. Pls help?
If you are referring to the loud & scary humming noise which comes up suddenly around 120 kmph, then the problem is with the window beading which looses it's form due to ageing. The same problem exists in my car (2011 L&K) and I've experienced it in my friend's car too (2011 Ambiente). Initially I suspected that to be coming from the engine/gearbox/wheel bearings and visited the A.S.S. After a test drive I was told that it was due to the window beading. To verify, if you roll down the driver side window or press against it's glass, it goes away. So no need to worry about.
abhishek24x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 10:40   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek24x View Post
If you are referring to the loud & scary humming noise which comes up suddenly around 120 kmph, then the problem is with the window beading which looses it's form due to ageing. The same problem exists in my car (2011 L&K) and I've experienced it in my friend's car too (2011 Ambiente). Initially I suspected that to be coming from the engine/gearbox/wheel bearings and visited the A.S.S. After a test drive I was told that it was due to the window beading. To verify, if you roll down the driver side window or press against it's glass, it goes away. So no need to worry about.
Thanks abhishek24x. I am talking about this exact issue. Did you get the beading replaced?
Old 4th May 2020, 19:15   #1348
BHPian

Hello,

The backlight on the upper portion of the tachometer has given up. The car is 8 years old.

Have anyone faced a similar issue?

I am certain Skoda would suggest replacing the entire unit. Can the backlight be sorted instead of replacement?

Thank you.

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-402f88b4cb2a4aea8a4fac5b96857c64.jpeg

Last edited by csr9 : 4th May 2020 at 19:19.
Old 4th May 2020, 20:32   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hello,

The backlight on the upper portion of the tachometer has given up. The car is 8 years old.

Have anyone faced a similar issue?

I am certain Skoda would suggest replacing the entire unit. Can the backlight be sorted instead of replacement?

Thank you.

Attachment 2001850
Yes it can be but you have to find someone who can disassemble the instrument cluster skillfully and unsolder the LED diodes then put new ones in. This will be a whole lot cheaper than getting a new instrument cluster for 30K.

Get all the diodes changed on the PCB surface so that the colour and brightness remains uniform.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:32   #1350
BHPian

Dear Team BHP'ians,

I am a proud first owner of a Skoda Laura 1.9 TDI MT - Jan 2010 model which has clocked 118K kms. The car has been relatively trouble free over the years and over the past few years I moved from the ASS to a reliable FNG basis Team BHP'ians posts & recommendations.

Over the last few years the car has needed the usual attention apart from the annual service, have changed the front suspension, clutch and also had to change the AC compressor valve when there was some intermittent cooling issue with the car AC.

Now the car needs some more attention, I need to replace the timing belt kit & water pump and the AC unit needs replacement – compressor, condenser, cooling coil. Had a few questions in this regard.

1. Timing Belt Kit – There are two options available in the market, INA (German) or the OEM option – which one to go for ?
2. Timing Belt Kit Replacement – Is this is a job that needs an expert hand or any good workshop should be able to do the job ? Asking the question because my regular FNG seems to be having manpower issues due to the COVID situation.
3. Any good FNG Options in Mumbai or Thane to get the job done
4. AC Compressor – Is it better to install the Sanden Compressor or is Valeo better ?
5. AC Condensor & Cooling Coil – Any specific brand to go for or should I rely on my AC guy to procure whatever he chooses ?

Any suggestions from fellow Team BHP’ians will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sid

Most Viewed