Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 16:28   #1351

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Hello BHP'ians,

Can any Mumbai based member with a VCDS cable and software help me with getting a used car scanned in Powai?

I know this would be a big ask considering the conditions around Mumbai, but I'm based in Pune and getting an e-pass is proving difficult for the purpose of going to check out used cars.

Any member who would be willing to help out, please do reach out to me on DM.

Thank you so much!
Old 7th July 2020, 16:36   #1352

Hello BHP'ians,

I am looking to buy a used Skoda Laura TSi which is, at present, based in Powai, Mumbai. Issue I am facing is with getting the car inspected because I am based in Pimpri-chinchwad, Pune. Can any member who has a VCDS cable and software help me with getting a scan done on the car?

I am not able to get a e-pass to travel to Mumbai for the purpose of inspecting or buying a car. It would be amazing if anyone can help me with this.

Do DM me if someone has a solution.

Thank you!
Old 8th July 2020, 03:52   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpak View Post
Any suggestions from fellow Team BHP’ians will be highly appreciated.
Before you do a major HVAC system over haul, can you please get a good AC technician to do a refrigerant evacuation process and then replenish the system with the specified refrigerant. Something tells me that there is air, moisture in the system which will lead to intermittent cooling of the AC.

It is safe to use OEM parts for the aircon system. If its a Bosch garage, they will usually source parts from their warehouse or catalog.

If the OEM timing belt kit is made by Bosch, then fine, else stick to the original component manufacturer.

You can't go wrong with either of those compressor brands.

Timing belt replacement is best done by a qualified garage.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 8th July 2020 at 03:53.
Old 20th July 2020, 22:41   #1354
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Thanks abhishek24x. I am talking about this exact issue. Did you get the beading replaced?
I had read somewhere that spraying WD40 on the beading will take care of this issue. I had a trip to Nasik yesterday and just before the trip I had sprayed WD40 on the driver side beading. Surprisingly it has worked and there is no whistling noise at 3-digit speeds.
Old 20th July 2020, 22:44   #1355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had read somewhere that spraying WD40 on the beading will take care of this issue. I had a trip to Nasik yesterday and just before the trip I had sprayed WD40 on the driver side beading. Surprisingly it has worked and there is no whistling noise at 3-digit speeds.
Spraying WD40 on the beadings is not recommended as it contains kerosene and that can damage rubber. For rubber beadings you need to use a Silicone based spray lubricant. You can find several good ones on Amazon India. Talbros and Wurth are some good brands you can go for.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 22:47   #1356
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Spraying WD40 on the beadings is not recommended as it contains kerosene and that can damage rubber. For rubber beadings you need to use a Silicone based spray lubricant. You can find several good ones on Amazon India. Talbros and Wurth are some good brands you can go for.
Thanks a lot for pointing that out. Will order them
Old 26th July 2020, 07:13   #1357
BHPian

Hi all.

I have a 2012 Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI 99xxx kms young and I recently noticed that the rubber around my windows is coming off. I have attached a picture to explain the problem.

Is there a stock replacement available at Skoda ASS? Or is there something aftermarket available for it?

Mumbai/ Delhi. I am based out of both locations.

Suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you.
DM99
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20200724_140133.jpg  

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 10:26. Reason: Formatting
Old 30th July 2020, 01:19   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks abhishek24x. I am talking about this exact issue. Did you get the beading replaced?
No. The replacement is still due. Have checked with Skoda Service centre. It's cost is around Rs. 3500.
Old 14th August 2020, 16:34   #1359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hello,

The backlight on the upper portion of the tachometer has given up. The car is 8 years old.

Have anyone faced a similar issue?

I am certain Skoda would suggest replacing the entire unit. Can the backlight be sorted instead of replacement?

Thank you.
Hi csr9!! where you able to find a solution for this? My superb also has the same problem

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 10:33. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 14th August 2020, 16:51   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain View Post
Hi csr9!! where you able to find a solution for this? My superb also has the same problem
Hi Sambhav,

The cluster needs to be dismantled & blown LED’s need to be replaced. I am just living with the problem as I didn’t want to risk damaging the expensive cluster.

If you can find a competent person for the repair, it can be sorted.

Last edited by csr9 : 14th August 2020 at 16:53.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:28   #1361

Hi guys,

Can someone point me to a link/website where I can get a legit service/workshop manual for the Laura 1.8 TSi? I need a few part numbers for suspension components. Would be amazing if someone could guide me for the same. I've searched the forum for the same but I haven't found a link which is active or lets me download one.

TIA.
Ritwik.
Old 26th August 2020, 19:14   #1362
BHPian

I bought a used Skoda Laura TSI that had clocked 69k kms at the time of the purchase. Since then, I've been facing excessive oil consumption issue with the car. To put things into perspective, I've driven the car for 10k kms now in 8 months and I have topped up approximately 18 litres of engine oil. That's more than twice of what Skoda's manual says about oil consumption (0.8 L/1000 kms).

I suspected the PCV valve initially and got it changed to no avail. I then had multiple FNG's inspect the car and one said that since there are no other symptoms like smoke, power loss, CEL, I should continue using the car as is.

The second FNG diagnosed this to be a failing turbo issue since they found oil in the intake pipes and the intercooler. Since buying a new turbo was an expensive affair, I found a used turbo from a scrapped car.

The turbo is currently being replaced but when we pulled out the old turbo, there wasn't any visible damage with the old turbo. The turbines look fine, no visible oil leak, etc.

I'm seriously hoping that the new turbo fixes the issue but incase it doesn't, what else should I be checking? Anyone faced this issue with the Laura 1.8 TSI? Can a perfectly fine looking turbo be leaking from the inside?

Also, while I'm at, is there anything that I should get cleaned apart from the pipes and the intercooler?
Old 26th August 2020, 19:48   #1363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMileCruncher View Post
I bought a used Skoda Laura TSI that had clocked 69k kms at the time of the purchase. Since then, I've been facing excessive oil consumption issue with the car. To put things into perspective, I've driven the car for 10k kms now in 8 months and I have topped up approximately 18 litres of engine oil. That's more than twice of what Skoda's manual says about oil consumption (0.8 L/1000 kms).

I suspected the PCV valve initially and got it changed to no avail. I then had multiple FNG's inspect the car and one said that since there are no other symptoms like smoke, power loss, CEL, I should continue using the car as is.
Which grade of oil are you using?
One more thing,
Please have a look under the engine bay thoroughly, make sure you don't have any leakage/busted seals. If you cant find any leak then please go ahead with below suggestions.

I would seriously recommend doing a compression test. First do a dry compression test and note down the compression. After that put some oil into the chamber and do the wet compression test. If wet compression test improves the compression readings then there you have the culprit - Piston Rings.

Before going for the replacement of anything, first try to find the root cause of the problem. I feel that, this much of oil consumption is surely due to the worn out/faulty piston rings.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 10:27. Reason: Trimming quoted post
CaptainBrijesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 21:49   #1364
Distinguished - BHPian

Check the crankcase ventilation. Another known problem is worn valve seals. If there are no performance issues, it is unlikely to be a problem with piston rings. Straightforward leaks as suggested, crankcase ventilation, worn valve seal are more likely culprits.
To get a feel for the valve seals: get somebody to drive behind you, engine probably warmed up. Make sure the engines is at 3-3.500 RPM. Drive at steady pace and release the accelerator completely. If the car behind you sees blue smoke in your exhaust gas it’s the valve seal, worst valve stems.

Jeroen
Old 27th August 2020, 20:30   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hi,

My 2012 Skoda superb TDI is shutting off after running for a couple of seconds with the glow plug warning turning on.

At times, she refuses to start & starts normally after a couple of attempts.

Have experienced both the above a few times. Upon performing a VCDS scan, got the below code. The Skoda service centre has diagnosed this to be a faulty ECM & suggested me to replace the same which would cost a bomb.

Have anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thank you

Attachment 1917618
Hi,

I am now having the same issue with my 2011 Skoda Laura TDI, which is shutting off initially after a couple of seconds. This happens only occasionally particularly if I don't use the car for a couple of days.
I showed it to the (now infamous) Skoda service Center and initially they said they have checked the vehicle and there was no issue in the scan. After a week i approached them again as I was facing the same issue. This time within a week they changed their opinion and suggested to change the ECM, which would cost around 1.5 lakhs. (Boooom)
Expecting valuable suggestions from experienced friends in the group. Planning to check with New Mars in Hyderabad for a second opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks