Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 17:52   #1261

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Not necessarily a new pump, more likely an electrical problem, unless it pertains to the emotor of the pump. As always start checking all relevant electrical connectors and wires first!

https://www.obd-codes.com/p261a
I went to a mechanic and checked the above connections, he says the wiring is fine. Made an inquiry with VW, it costs 15,000INR to buy a new pump from them.

Is there any other avenue to source a genuine part?
Old 28th March 2019, 18:08   #1262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
I went to a mechanic and checked the above connections, he says the wiring is fine. Made an inquiry with VW, it costs 15,000INR to buy a new pump from them.

Is there any other avenue to source a genuine part?
I hope he did a good enough job. Did he check that the e-pump gets the correct voltage when switched on. If not, something is suspect. If all electrical connection have been checked, make sure you have power at the pump. Sometimes the easiest check if of course, to bring a direct power supply (2 wires) to the pump and see what happens. If the pump runs fine, directly powered, it is obviously a different problem. If the pump doesn’t run well, makes noises etc, change out the pump.

I experienced a problem with the cooling water pomp of the supercharger on my Jaguar. You can read all about it in this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4379946

The original Jagaur part is Euro 450. I went online and visited a couple of Jaguar forum and found an even better pump at just over Euro 100.

If I were you I would check the UK forums, and pop the question, who knows. Or alternatively, find the correct part number and start googling. Or punch it into Amazon or similar sites.

You would be surprised what shows up. People/companies that have alternatives will advertise using the original part numbers. Over the years I have found many parts across the world this way. Obviously, you would still need to get it send to India, which will cost some, but sometimes the price differences can be very substantial.

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 28th March 2019 at 18:10.
Old 29th March 2019, 07:40   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday evening, after office when I started the car, I got the engine oil light. Stopped the car and checked the oil level on the dipstick. It was just over min mark. Now when I started the car, the oil sign seem to have disappeared.

Now, I have 2 queries?
  1. Was this due to some kind of fume lock? Anybody else faced this?
  2. Workshop told me its a Castrol 5W40. What would be the correct grade? Its a TSI.
On a side note, I have been seeing in the service manual that this engine is a variable service interval version. Any clues on that one?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th March 2019 at 10:26. Reason: Editing extra space
Old 29th March 2019, 11:27   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Yesterday evening, after office when I started the car, I got the engine oil light. Stopped the car and checked the oil level on the dipstick. It was just over min mark. Now when I started the car, the oil sign seem to have disappeared.

Now, I have 2 queries?
  1. Was this due to some kind of fume lock? Anybody else faced this?
  2. Workshop told me its a Castrol 5W40. What would be the correct grade? Its a TSI.
On a side note, I have been seeing in the service manual that this engine is a variable service interval version. Any clues on that one?
This is expected. Whenever you have a low oil warning, if you open the bonnet for more than 30 seconds, the oil warning disappears. It reappears after ~100KMs if it detects that oil hasn't been replenished.

Regarding oil grade, it should be VW certified (VW 502-00 spec) 5W40 grade oil. Skoda recommends Castrol Edge. There are other options like the Motul X-Cleen, Lqui Moly TopTec, Shell Helix, etc.

All our cars come under "Fixed service intervals", which is 15k/1 year, whichever is earlier. There are some special vehicles in EU market for which Skoda recommends "Flexible service intervals". O guess you're referring to that.

Hope this is helpful.
nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 11:55   #1265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
This is expected. Whenever you have a low oil warning, if you open the bonnet for more than 30 seconds, the oil warning disappears. It reappears after ~100KMs if it detects that oil hasn't been replenished.
I think you might need to be more specific here. I believe the Skoda Laura has two oil warning lights. A low level one, which should be amber and a low pressure oil light, a red one.

Many people will refer to the red light as low level oil as well, but it is nearly always a low pressure. Very often the cause is low oil, but it could be something different all together.

As you also checked and the oil level was at the minimum level on the dip stick I assume it was the amber oil level light. If it was the red light there might be something else amiss.

I was not aware opening the bonnet resets it. Most have some (micro) switch wired into the computer. I am not familiar with this, but I assume the amber, low level alarm, will only work when you just start the engine? Or will it still work with the engine running and the car moving?

thanks

Jeroen
Old 29th March 2019, 12:22   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
I was not aware opening the bonnet resets it. Most have some (micro) switch wired into the computer. I am not familiar with this, but I assume the amber, low level alarm, will only work when you just start the engine? Or will it still work with the engine running and the car moving?
Yes, that's true. I've experienced this once due to a leaking oil reservoir plug. Also, the same is mentioned in their owner's manual.

Quote:
The warning light will go out if the bonnet is left open for more than 30 seconds.

If no engine oil has been replenished, the warning light will come on again after

driving about 100 km.
+1 to your first point. I assumed it was a yellow constant warning.

Red warning - Low oil pressure (Do not drive the vehicle if this appears)
Yellow warning - Low oil level (Replenish & drive)
Yellow blinking warning - Oil level sensor faulty.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 15:44   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I assumed it was a yellow constant warning.

Red warning - Low oil pressure (Do not drive the vehicle if this appears)
Yellow warning - Low oil level (Replenish & drive)
Yellow blinking warning - Oil level sensor faulty.
Yes it was the yellow warning. I read the owner's manual and it says oil consumption to be about 0.5l/1000km.

Isn't that quite a lot. That could mean replenishing about 7.5L in a 15000km span which is the service interval.

Is it this high in the newer gen TSI engines as well?
Old 29th March 2019, 16:39   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was the yellow warning. I read the owner's manual and it says oil consumption to be about 0.5l/1000km.

Isn't that quite a lot. That could mean replenishing about 7.5L in a 15000km span which is the service interval.

Is it this high in the newer gen TSI engines as well?
No, in my GTI which has the 3rd generation of the same engine (1.8L EA888), the oil consumption is very low.
The 1st generation EA888 in the Laura has this problem (I drove that car for 9 years and had to top up a few times between services). Regarding low oil level warning lamp, I had faced an issue with the bonnet latch sensor, I cleaned it and it went away.

Here are the details:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ch-sensor.html (Skoda Laura: Low oil level warning lamp & Bonnet open/close latch sensor)
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 16:47   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just to be specific, does the manual say it will actually use 0,5l per 1000k? Or is more phrased as that is the maximum it should use? Which most likely should mean your car would use considerable less.

Jeroen
Old 29th March 2019, 18:22   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Just to be specific, does the manual say it will actually use 0,5l per 1000k? Or is more phrased as that is the maximum it should use? Which most likely should mean your car would use considerable less.

Jeroen
Quoting from the owner's manual:

Quote:
It is normal for the engine to consume oil. The oil consumption may be as much as

0.5 l/1 000 km depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which

you operate your vehicle. Consumption may be slightly higher than this during the

first 5 000 kilometres.
One should therefore check the oil level at regular intervals, preferably every time

after the fuel tank is filled or after driving for long stretches.
Old 31st March 2019, 10:45   #1271
BHPian

The 1st and 2nd gen engines in Laura and octavia consume oil at very random rate. Some cars very negligible some upto 400-500ml or even more per 1000km.
My Laura was consuming around 300-400ml untill a while ago but since last top up it has not moved a bit. Quite strange.
I also get the red oil pressure warning once in a while. Not while running, when I start the car. It beeps 3 times and vanishes. Totally randomly. Sometimes multiple times a day, or sometimes nothing for days. What it could be? I am suspecting a faulty switch.
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:21   #1272

Quote:

I experienced a problem with the cooling water pomp of the supercharger on my Jaguar. You can read all about it in this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4379946

Jeroen
I went through your posts in that thread and it really has inspired me. Maybe someday I will be able to troubleshoot my car in such a fashion.

Unfortunately right now there is no way for me to verify if that mechanic is being honest or taking me for a ride. In any case I will ask around in the international forums for a replacement.

Thanks for your help.
Old 6th April 2019, 03:45   #1273
BHPian

Today the needle lights of the Temp Gauge and Fuel gauge flickered a few times and conked off. Before this the Tacho needle light had switched off a couple of years back on my 2011 Laura TSI.

I understand from previous posts in this thread that we cannot repair these easily and need to change the entire Instrument cluster. So is there a way to get a used (spare)Instrument cluster (if available) from another car and fit in my car? Is this doable?
Old 17th May 2019, 00:29   #1274
BHPian

Guys, Question for anyone who got the New Skoda emblems on the Laura - what is the size of the front and rear emblems? Also, any idea if I can get it fitted anywhere in Bangalore?
I reached out to ASS and an FNG, they said that it cannot be done since the pins were different for the old and new ones.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:18   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Question for anyone who got the New Skoda emblems on the Laura - what is the size of the front and rear emblems? Also, any idea if I can get it fitted anywhere in Bangalore?
I reached out to ASS and an FNG, they said that it cannot be done since the pins were different for the old and new ones.
I was told the same when I asked for it to be fixed on my car but I regularly see a white Laura in my area with the new emblems so maybe it requires some simple mod job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks