Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 15:10   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The Laura came with Halogen projectors, will plonking a HID in place of the bulb create any issues? I am aware that the projectors for halogens are quite small compared to the one's used for HID's but I don't want to open the headlights especially since this is an out of production car and if anything happens to the headlights it will be an expensive piece to replace.
Skoda is known for issues with third party products. I am also in same boat and all the information gathered till data from Auto Lighting thread confirmed this is very much possible but the kit should be Canbus friendly.

There are ready replacement kits from Osram which works well on Skoda but is expensive like roughly INR 20K for a pair of low beams. Chinese examples are less than 5K for even a bi-xenon kit.

Some local installers have verbally confirmed nothing much to worry about it and they have done on many cars. However I am not convinced to venture and try yet.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 16:13   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Skoda is known for issues with third party products. I am also in same boat and all the information gathered till data from Auto Lighting thread confirmed this is very much possible but the kit should be Canbus friendly.

There are ready replacement kits from Osram which works well on Skoda but is expensive like roughly INR 20K for a pair of low beams. Chinese examples are less than 5K for even a bi-xenon kit.

Some local installers have verbally confirmed nothing much to worry about it and they have done on many cars. However I am not convinced to venture and try yet.
Osram kits are not that expensive and the Osram DH7 kit for the Laura is available for around 8k on amazon for the 6000k version.
The challenge however is the installation and who will do it! There is also a relay wiring kit in the set to wire directly from the battery but it will require direct connection to battery.
The kit is Canbus compatible and does not generate Canbus errors.
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:57   #1113
BHPian

The brake pedal has gotten longer in my TSI at 29,500kms & there is no bite(braking is poor). I've dropped it at vinayak skoda, they want to replace rear pads(front were changed 3,000kms back) & skim all discs as well. I had the discs skimmed last year too but it did not help much, Is this the right direction they are heading? or anything else needs checking.
Pl advise?
Thanks.

Last edited by raihan : 22nd November 2017 at 14:58.
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:55   #1114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
The brake pedal has gotten longer in my TSI at 29,500kms & there is no bite(braking is poor). I've dropped it at vinayak skoda, they want to replace rear pads(front were changed 3,000kms back) & skim all discs as well. I had the discs skimmed last year too but it did not help much, Is this the right direction they are heading? or anything else needs checking.
Pl advise?
Thanks.
Could be an open and shut case of bleeding the brakes. Disc brakes are self adjustable to wearing pads and hence the pedal travel should not increase, unless there is a leak in the system. In that case, a drop in fluid level would be noticed.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd November 2017 at 16:08.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 03:29   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Osram kits are not that expensive and the Osram DH7 kit for the Laura is available for around 8k on amazon for the 6000k version.
The challenge however is the installation and who will do it! There is also a relay wiring kit in the set to wire directly from the battery but it will require direct connection to battery.
The kit is Canbus compatible and does not generate Canbus errors.
I have the Osram HID kit (4300K) on my Laura TSI and it was plug-n-play installation. No direct connection to battery or cutting of wires involved. The kit is Canbus compatible and no errors as a result.

Got it at a regular installer for 9K and installation was done in an hour. Been a year since then and now there is some loose connection due to which one bulb does not come on intermittently. Have to get it inspected.
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:24   #1116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I have the Osram HID kit (4300K) on my Laura TSI and it was plug-n-play installation. No direct connection to battery or cutting of wires involved. The kit is Canbus compatible and no errors as a result.

Got it at a regular installer for 9K and installation was done in an hour. Been a year since then and now there is some loose connection due to which one bulb does not come on intermittently. Have to get it inspected.
Great to know that the installation is quite simple and doesn't involve any cabling. The rubber caps on the headlight though must have been cut and a grommet installed to route the cables through it though?
Also with this setup how do you find the beam pattern and overall light level. As it is only for low beam is it worthwhile getting the upgrade in your opinion?
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:24   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Great to know that the installation is quite simple and doesn't involve any cabling. The rubber caps on the headlight though must have been cut and a grommet installed to route the cables through it though?
Also with this setup how do you find the beam pattern and overall light level. As it is only for low beam is it worthwhile getting the upgrade in your opinion?
I would recommend it as a must have on the Laura. the regular H7 was weak and the upgrades make a world of difference. But do not get the 6000k lights and please stick to 4300k. I had my Laura for over 5 years out of which the HIDs were in place for 4.5 years. The new owner also has them (upgraded the bulbs to Morimoto)

But- please please do code the HIDs in and do not rely solely on the canbus compatibility. I ended up with a busted BCM due to this (front right drl was on always on) and was a minor headache to diagnose and change. Let me know if you need any help with the coding through vcds. We just did the same for bhpian jalajprakash's laura tsi as well.

Further, get the kit with the slim ballast because that fits inside the housing (there is more than enough space there) and would not require cutting of the rubber caps- this was suggested by the Skoda dealer in Noida.

Cheers
Rohan
Old 23rd November 2017, 15:52   #1118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
I would recommend it as a must have on the Laura. the regular H7 was weak and the upgrades make a world of difference.
Thanks Rohan!
Any recommendations on the make of the HID kit which you can suggest with slim ballast? The Osram ballasts are quite bulky and will not fit inside the housing.

Last edited by ampere : 27th November 2017 at 12:56. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 27th November 2017, 09:41   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rohan!
Any recommendations on the make of the HID kit which you can suggest with slim ballast? The Osram ballasts are quite bulky and will not fit inside the housing.
Apologies- missed this (did not get a notification)

I used the kit from P8 with the slim ballast and the 4300k light color.

P.S. I think i saw your Laura in cyber hub last week (i work here too!)

Cheers
Rohan
Old 27th November 2017, 11:16   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Apologies- missed this (did not get a notification)
Thanks Rohan see you around some time. My office is at Ambience Island and it is quite near Cybercity and I pass by there everyday.

Last edited by ampere : 27th November 2017 at 12:57. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 27th November 2017, 12:42   #1121
BHPian

This product is what I've been running on my Laura TDI for the past 2+ years. It is a 35w HID kit - comes with ballasts and bulbs. The ballast is slim enough to sit inside the headlight casing itself. No need to cut a hole through the rubber cover. I opted for 4300K H7 bulbs and that's been working out really well. I did the installation myself, did not have to splice or cut any wires for this purpose.

An important aspect of this kit is - this is not a quick start ballast. Most after market kits sold come with a quick start ballast. Those would draw a bit more current at startup and hence can cause additional strain on the BCM - leading to blown BCM's as experienced by RohanDheman and others.
Old 27th November 2017, 14:30   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek24x View Post
I recently acquired a pre-worshipped Laura 2011 TDi CR AT | Cappuchino Beige | 53k kms. Got the DRLs, auto lock, auto unlock and needle staging activated through Skoda A.S.S. F.O.C. I need help on the following:

1. Changing the units of average fuel consumption changed from L/100 km to KM/L. The technician and me fiddled with the software a lot but to no avail. Couldn't find any tab from where the region could be changed to Japan.

2. I want to install LEDs in license plate lamps, DRLs etc. How to deal with the error codes?

3. I've got hold of some spares of Superb TSi. Which I'm planning to get installed in my car. The Steering wheel with paddle shifters, Bolero audio system & maxidot display. Can any fellow Bhpian from NCR help me with the coding of the Bolero system and multi functional steering wheel with paddle shifters?

TIA
Abhishek Mudgil

P.S. A pic of the my car is attached; will post a detailed ownership review post the upgrades.
1. You can change from ltr/100kms to kmpl if you have the MaxiDOT cluster. Else, it'll need to be done via VCDS.
2. LED lights for the license plates will only work if the LED bulbs are CANBUS enabled. Else, it'll throw a bulb out warning on the dash.
Old 27th November 2017, 14:36   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
The driver's side footwell light on my car stopped functioning. Looks like it needs a bulb replacement. It is a 12V5W W5W halogen bulb (toshiba). Tried searching online, however I couldn't find a similar one. Any inputs would be of great help.

Light part number: 6L0 947 415

Attachment 1661805
You can try sourcing LED lights for the interior from MotoHID, link here. This is what I'm running in my car. The interior lights don't have to be CANBUS compatible, so this works well.
Old 27th November 2017, 15:39   #1124
BHPian

Dear fellow Bhpians,

I own 2013 Laura tdi, i'd like to seek your help in getting my Laura's DRL activated, I am aware of the fact that VCDS at ASS can get it functional,
however I don't visit Skoda A.S.S anymore. If there is another way to get them lighten up aftermarket, pls suggest.

Also if the bulbs mounted at DRL's can be replaced with white LED's without getting can-bus error, attaching the picture for what i am refereeing to.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-skoda-drl.jpg  

Last edited by varoon9999 : 27th November 2017 at 15:54.
Old 27th November 2017, 20:01   #1125
BHPian

Hi, can anyone please post a link to the VCDS cable which I can buy from Aliexpress. There are quite a few options and I don't know which one to go for. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks