Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:57   #1171
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

UPDATE: Skoda A.S.S. has diagnosed a lock set and key problem and asking INR 21k for the replacement. They have to order the whole set and ETA is 15 days. I have decided to get it done outside at an FNG.
Old 3rd May 2018, 12:03   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Off-late I have been facing this strange issue with the Climate Control of my Laura. It takes a while for the compressor to fire up. It could range from immediately to almost few kms. As in sometimes the cooling starts right from the moment the AC is switched on or sometimes it's just the fan and the AC will start cooling after almost 5-10 mins or so and it becomes quite unbearable to sit in the sticky heat of full blown air.
But, Once the compressor starts working, I have no complaints about the cooling power and it is chilling as ever. What could be the problem? Someone mentioned to me about a faulty solenoid switch which sit on top of the compressor. It is like a cut-off switch. Has anybody faced this issue?
I would suggest proceeding in a systematic way to diagnose this fault :-

1) Evacuate the AC system & refill with a correct amount of coolant & oil. Switch on the AC & check.

2) Also, a good cleaning of the condenser (first with pressure air & then pressure water) should help.

If the problem still persists, please share a picture of AC HP & LP guage readings so that I can suggest something further.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:32   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
I would suggest proceeding in a systematic way to diagnose this fault :-

1) Evacuate the AC system & refill with a correct amount of coolant & oil. Switch on the AC & check.

2) Also, a good cleaning of the condenser (first with pressure air & then pressure water) should help.

If the problem still persists, please share a picture of AC HP & LP guage readings so that I can suggest something further.
Bang on Neil! These are the exact options given by the mechanic. I would be taking the car to an AC Mechanic this weekend. Thanks alot!
Old 10th May 2018, 13:32   #1174
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea where we can buy a full body cover for the Laura? As summer vacation has started, cars are getting scratched in the building parking by mischievous children!
Old 11th May 2018, 20:42   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Went totally against my mind and with all my heart booked a Sep 2009 Laura Tsi, first owner (renowned construction company) with Odo at 28k and clean body lines. Sold off my one year old brand new Honda City (15k kms).
It was a situation of 'it's now or it may never happen again'.

The car was thoroughly checked at Skoda ASS and a very trusted (and well known among TBhpians)FNG, and was given a clean chit. No errors or issues identified except maybe a couple of bush replacements at the rear but nothing immediate. Also the service history and interior condition matched the odo reading. The only thing is that the timing belt has not been replaced yet. Will get the condition of that checked after I pick up the car next week. The tyres would also need to be replaced.

Hoping for the best and support through this thread.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 09:00   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Went totally against my mind and with all my heart booked a Sep 2009 Laura Tsi, first owner (renowned construction company) with Odo at 28k and clean body lines. Sold off my one year old brand new Honda City (15k kms).
Wow
You seem to have got yourself a really good car and this will be a proper upgrade to your City. Kudos to you for taking the risk of letting go an almost new Honda and getting home a 9 years old German. The ownership experience will certainly be rewarding. Do share pictures of your car and the deal.

Good luck
Old 12th May 2018, 18:31   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

The car was thoroughly checked at Skoda ASS and a very trusted (and well known among TBhpians)FNG, and was given a clean chit.

Hoping for the best and support through this thread.
Congrats on the purchase, once the turbo spools on the open you'll forget about your Honda City pretty quickly.
Can you let us know about the aforementioned FND as am not exactly happy with the support at Vinayak for my TSI.
Old 13th May 2018, 00:15   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Any idea where we can buy a full body cover for the Laura? As summer vacation has started, cars are getting scratched in the building parking by mischievous children!
Read this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4276356

I have the same for my VRS and its the best you can get in India. Customized fit but a bit costly though.
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 07:31   #1179
BHPian

My 2010 Laura TSI's long/hard cranking seems to be related to weak Crank position sensor.
Laura owners, is it something that is known to fail in the 1Z3 FL cars (the car has run 27k KMs)? Also, is it a DIY replacement (I checked a few blogs and videos online, seemed pretty straightforward)?

Last edited by nerd1200 : 13th May 2018 at 07:32.
Old 19th May 2018, 22:47   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
Wow
You seem to have got yourself a really good car and this will be a proper upgrade to your City. Kudos to you for taking the risk of letting go an almost new Honda and getting home a 9 years old German. The ownership experience will certainly be rewarding. Do share pictures of your car and the deal.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Congrats on the purchase, once the turbo spools on the open you'll forget about your Honda City pretty quickly.
Can you let us know about the aforementioned FND as am not exactly happy with the support at Vinayak for my TSI.
Here are a couple of pics of the car. There are a few issues which requires to be sorted however overall it is blast to drive. It will be going on a 2k km trip next week. Let's see what's in store. Fingers crossed

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20180517_180144_01.jpg

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20180517_180241_01_01.jpg
Old 24th May 2018, 12:04   #1181
BHPian

"Thickness of Brake pads" Warning light

I had recently replaced the front brake pads with OE Bosch ones. At the time, the rear pads were inspected and condition was found to be okay. Yesterday, while going over some broken patches, the Brake pad warning lights came on. I turned the car off and started again, it was still there. It did go off by itself after ~30-40 mins only to return today morning. There is no impact to braking efficiency at all.

I'm thinking connector issue or faulty sensor (since the brake pads are new)? Any idea?
Old 11th June 2018, 18:07   #1182
BHPian

So, after 2 years of owning a pre-owned 2010 Laura TSI I’m completely at my wits’ end with one particular recurring problem (out of the many that I’ve struggled with and managed to mostly fix). Last year in July the car developed a loud squealing accompanied by a slight struggle in picking up. This initially would happen when the AC was running and I tried to pick up from a low speed in 2nd or higher gear, but eventually this started happening even while picking up in 1st gear. One day while starting from a red light and gunning the engine a bit, there was loud sound and the AC stopped cooling. Obviously the Compressor pulley was gone. Got the compressor replaces as it was found to be jamming. The squeal was gone too. Then within a week the squealing started again. Took it to the A.S.S. and it was diagnosed as a worn out serpentine belt, which was promptly replaced. The sound went away… and in 5 days was back. And so was I at the A.S.S., who this time informed me that it seems the belt tensioner was also gone and needed replacement. This was done, and yes within a week the problem was back! This time, after a lot of persuasion from me to check other aligned parts like pumps and pulleys, it was finally diagnosed as a jamming Alternator pulley. It took a few days for the part to be sourced and then replaced. Thankfully this fixed the problem for good.
Or so I thought.. Now after exactly 10 months the squealing and initial engine under load struggle is back! I’m at a complete loss to understand what this could be , and what to do?? If I take it back to the A.S.S. the same vicious circle of hit and trial diagnoses may start again, at my cost. So I’d rather pin point the issue myself before I talk to them, but I can’t figure out what it could be.. Has the newly replaced Alternator Pulley failed again within 10 months? Or could it be something else? The belt looks fine. Could it be another pulley jamming? The Idler pulley, or the power steering pulley or even the power steering pump itself?
My 2 years of ownership have been one long story of dealing with numerous issues like this. Needless to say, I picked up a bad pre-owned piece. But, as I said, I’m truly at my wit’s end on this one, so guys any diagnosis, help, advice, suggestion would be truly appreciated.
Old 13th June 2018, 20:58   #1183
Senior - BHPian

I am facing a close to similar issue in my 2009 Tsi. With the AC on after driving for some time, say about 10 mins, there is an audible whine coming from the engine bay which increases quite a bit with acceleration. There is no issues with pickup and the sound goes away as soon as you switch off the AC. What could it be ?? I dont think the belts have ever been changed. Could that be the reason.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 13th June 2018 at 21:04.
Old 13th June 2018, 21:23   #1184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
"Thickness of Brake pads" Warning light

I had recently replaced the front brake pads with OE Bosch ones. At the time, the rear pads were inspected and condition was found to be okay. Yesterday, while going over some broken patches, the Brake pad warning lights came on.
The Laura has wear sensors for the front brakes?

Just curious, which warning light was it? (O) or ((!))?
Old 13th June 2018, 22:33   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Laura has wear sensors for the front brakes?

Just curious, which warning light was it? (O) or ((!))?
Hi Gannu,

Yes Laura has wear sensors in the front brakes. In my case the sensor on the left pad was faulty. Hence got the both the pads replaced. No error now.

This was the warning that came on.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-1528909324447.jpg  

nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks