Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2018, 16:28   #1231
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would suspect the following

1: Faulty oil pressure sensor or loose / corroded connections which may to pick up signals when cold.
2: Weak oil pump
3: Oil viscosity might be too thick for winter causing oil to take a while to flow.
Ya I will check the sensor. There is no other indication. How can one diagnose a weak oil pump? This is my first winter with the car and temperatures go around 5-6 here. I noticed some minor misfires a couple of times when starting the car after a cold night but it sorts itself in around 15-20 seconds.
Also the oil light turns up randomly. Not like on first start of the day.
tanmay324 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 20:54   #1232
BHPian

Hi all.
The outside temperature sensor seems to have fallen off its bracket into the compartment behind the left fog lamp. Does anyone have a picture where the sensor should be put back into, to get the correct ambient temperature readings? As I am unable to locate the correct area / bracket space where i can re-fix it back into.
Old 8th February 2019, 15:06   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need help.

i have come across a Laura TSI 2010 model, done about only 16K Kms and owner asking 4.5L. Keeping the genuineness of the kilometers aside, I want to understand what are the pitfalls of such a low mileage car.

I myself have a few that I have compiled:
  1. Car may still be on original tyres. Hence immediate replacement.
  2. All rubber hosings require changing as car is old.
Need help in deciding whether to even explore that car or simply walk away.
Old 8th February 2019, 16:16   #1234
BHPian

Depends on the requirement, if you want to use it as stock car then you can go ahead but only after getting the car checked from authorized skoda service center. They charge around 3K for the same and check all critical components like fuel pump, compressor, compression, water pump & ignition coils etc for your peace of mind.

However if you want to mod the car avoid this and get a already tuned car as lots of components in car fail when you start modding it. Hence in modded car all those would have been taken care of.

Just quoting price of various components which may fail in Laura TSI :-
1. Fuel Pump :- 60K.
2. Ignition Coil + spark plugs:- 18K.
3. Compressor:- 25K.
4. Water pump:- 15K.
5. Clutch set:- 35K.
6. Suspension work(if needed)~ 30K.
7. Brake Pads + Disc replacement:- 25K.
surbhit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 16:43   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbhit View Post
Depends on the requirement, if you want to use it as stock car then you can go ahead but only after getting the car checked from authorized skoda service center. They charge around 3K for the same and check all critical components like fuel pump, compressor, compression, water pump & ignition coils etc for your peace of mind.

The car will be used daily for local drive with light mod like tweaking the mapping and nothing more. I recently sold the Octy Vrs Mk1 and looking for a fast and reliable sedan and can't think of anything but the Laura TSI. Not looking at the newer gen Octy as they are autos and I already have one (GT Tsi).

Having lived with a Skoda and having had it serviced always at the ASC, I'm aware of the costs. I have been looking for 2012/2013 models but this came up unexpectedly.

Thanks for the pointers on typical costs. I have already budgeted for suspension and brake overhaul, may be even the clutch.

What are items that are known to fail in the TSI at around 50-60K mark? Pointers on that will be very helpful.
Old 8th February 2019, 17:10   #1236
BHPian

Components that are known to fail @50-60K kms mark are:- Water pump(high chances), compressor change(company ones fail every 2-3 years), clutch set (depends on owner habbits) & ignition coil+plugs(moderate chance).

Forgot to mention the timing kit change which is a must if the car is pre 2012 model, the cost for this is 30-40K in service center. This is mandatory as timing chain tensioner is prone to failure in pre 2012 models, heck I've seen even people with 2012 models get it done. The failure can happen any time, has no symptoms and you will end up with dead engine, every time I visit skoda service there is some superb/laura with this issue and 8lac plus bill.

The latest gen Octavia engine is the most reliable iteration of TSI yet but there you have to live with the risk of DSG failure.
surbhit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 02:25   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Just quoting price of various components which may fail in Laura TSI :-
1. Fuel Pump :- 60K.
2. Ignition Coil + spark plugs:- 18K.
3. Compressor:- 25K.
4. Water pump:- 15K.
5. Clutch set:- 35K.
6. Suspension work(if needed)~ 30K.
7. Brake Pads + Disc replacement:- 25K.
Hi. Are these prices quoted by the service center or sourcing parts from outside? Also, No. 2 combination of ignition coil and spark plug - is it the price for the stock ones, or the R8 ignition coils?

If you are sourcing from outside, please share your contact person details via PM.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:30   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The latest gen Octavia engine is the most reliable iteration of TSI yet but there you have to live with the risk of DSG failure.

This is the only thing I have been contemplating.

10L for a Octy 6 Speed DSG with the dread of DSG failure.

or
5L for Laura TSI + 1-2L to get it shaped up + fun of a manual.

Quote:

Forgot to mention the timing kit change which is a must if the car is pre 2012 model, the cost for this is 30-40K in service center. This is mandatory as timing chain tensioner is prone to failure in pre 2012 models, heck I've seen even people with 2012 models get it done. The failure can happen any time, has no symptoms and you will end up with dead engine,

In the old Oct 1.8T, the Timing belt change was mandated at 6 Years or 40K Kms whichever earlier. And this change included changing the water pump and the tensioners / pulleys.

What is the mandated term here in the TSI engine?

Also I understand that the Polo GT TSI has a master box which controls the engine( ignition coil + some other functions) which needs changing every 60K Kms and costs about 35-40K. Is there a similar master box in this TSI engine as well or are the ignition coils standard per cylinder thingy?
Old 11th February 2019, 16:25   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Hi. Are these prices quoted by the service center or sourcing parts from outside? Also, No. 2 combination of ignition coil and spark plug - is it the price for the stock ones, or the R8 ignition coils?

If you are sourcing from outside, please share your contact person details via PM.

Thanks in advance.
The price of ignition coil + plugs is from Skoda service center. I had purchased genuine R8 coils + spark plugs from amazon.com earlier and below are links for the same:-

R8 Coils:-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QXZ5UI

NGK Spark plugs:-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M5EUKA4

Will PM you the contact number of the person who arranges parts for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This is the only thing I have been contemplating.

10L for a Octy 6 Speed DSG with the dread of DSG failure.

or
5L for Laura TSI + 1-2L to get it shaped up + fun of a manual.

In the old Oct 1.8T, the Timing belt change was mandated at 6 Years or 40K Kms whichever earlier. And this change included changing the water pump and the tensioners / pulleys.

What is the mandated term here in the TSI engine?

Also I understand that the Polo GT TSI has a master box which controls the engine( ignition coil + some other functions) which needs changing every 60K Kms and costs about 35-40K. Is there a similar master box in this TSI engine as well or are the ignition coils standard per cylinder thingy?

Well it's upto you but do note that stock current Octavia 1.8 TSI already makes as much power as stage 1 remapped Laura TSI and doesn't have any engine related niggles. Even the carbon build up issue is no more in latest generation TSI engine.

I think the DSG gearbox will not fail without any symptoms and you can check those out before going for latest Octavia. If you go for Octavia make sure it is stock and has few years of warranty left.

Ideally the timing chain never needs replacement but the issue comes due to faulty tensioner. You can read more about this issue in below URL:-
https://humblemechanic.com/how-the-2...r-fails-video/

There is no master box in Laura TSI, separate ignition coil for each cylinder.
surbhit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 19:55   #1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I have the Osram HID kit (4300K) on my Laura TSI and it was plug-n-play installation. No direct connection to battery or cutting of wires involved. The kit is Canbus compatible and no errors as a result.

Got it at a regular installer for 9K and installation was done in an hour. Been a year since then and now there is some loose connection due to which one bulb does not come on intermittently. Have to get it inspected.
Hi Maibaa, were you able to get this rectified? I just got the OSRAM kit installed in my 2011 Laura TSI and was wondering if it was a simple fix or caused other issues. Is the coding necessary? I have a lightbulb warning on my dash but I had that before the install due a fused DRL - unfortunately the shop did not have a replacement in stock. Service is due in 3 weeks, so I planned to have it replaced then.
Old 13th February 2019, 00:56   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvatron View Post
Hi Maibaa, were you able to get this rectified? I just got the OSRAM kit installed in my 2011 Laura TSI and was wondering if it was a simple fix or caused other issues. Is the coding necessary? I have a lightbulb warning on my dash but I had that before the install due a fused DRL - unfortunately the shop did not have a replacement in stock. Service is due in 3 weeks, so I planned to have it replaced then.
Hello Sarvatron, yes I got it fixed. The issue was a melted stock holder that worked only when it rained or when I washed the car. As soon as the water dried up the connection was lost. This holder has a plug in connection to the HID kit and I guess it melted due to heat. The electric technician (local guy at the car accessory store) bypassed this and the HID is now working fine.

As I mentioned before no coding is required as the kit is CANBUS compatible (takes care of CANBUS related errors). It is a direct plug-n-play connection with no cutting or slicing of wires.
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 01:58   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need help.

i have come across a Laura TSI 2010 model, done about only 16K Kms and owner asking 4.5L. Keeping the genuineness of the kilometers aside, I want to understand what are the pitfalls of such a low mileage car.

I myself have a few that I have compiled:
  1. Car may still be on original tyres. Hence immediate replacement.
  2. All rubber hosings require changing as car is old.
Need help in deciding whether to even explore that car or simply walk away.
IMO you should buy this car without a second thought provided the mileage is genuine.

Replace the tyres but I dont think all rubber hoses will need changing.

Quote:
I recently sold the Octy Vrs Mk1 and looking for a fast and reliable sedan and can't think of anything but the Laura TSI. What are items that are known to fail in the TSI at around 50-60K mark? Pointers on that will be very helpful.
I went from Mk1 VRS to Laura TSI myself as I wanted to buy something similar. Havent been disappointed. I bought a 2010 TSI when it had done fewer than 25k kms in 2013 and have had it since. Driven for over 50k kms without issues. Still on original clutch and suspension. Has only needed coil plugs, AC compressor and water pump in the last 5 years. All of these are standard known issues on the TSI.

Get the car - spend another 30-50k on it to get it in top shape and you will have a great daily driver under 5L. I bought mine for 4L in 2013 so I think you have room to negotiate further but if you like the way Skoda turbo petrols drive then dont nickel and dime.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 10:20   #1243
Senior - BHPian

The TSI Stable grows!

And its in!

I got home a Laura TSI home last night to keep company of your younger & smaller sibling, GT TSI. The specs are as follows:
  • May 2012 manufactured Sep 2012 registered,
  • Ambiente Trim, White Colour
  • 39700 done
  • Single Owner
  • Clean service history
The car was driven by an elderly lady and part of a household where this was the 2nd/3rd car hence maintained well and sparingly.

Got the car checked at Autobahn Skoda and I was given the go ahead. Clutch, Suspension seemed good. No noise anywhere. However there is some work that needs to be done to to the car to bring it back to it pristine state.
  • Roof lining has started sagging at one point. Any pointers on where can I get this done in Mumbai. Skoda roof costs 48k
  • Front and rear bumper has some scratches and hence both need repainting.
  • This variant has fabric seat covers. While they are generally clean, I want to get them shampoo-ed. May be interior detailing too. Am thinking 3M but any other recommendations are welcome too.
Apart from the above, I noticed some small niggles and want to know how to get them sorted.
  1. The light on the fuel gauge and temp gauge needle seem to have faded and flickering. Anyway to get them fixed without changing the whole instrument cluster.
  2. The central locking doesn't seem to get auto activated at 15KMPH to lock all doors. I have to lock the doors thru the toggle switch. Any idea how to sort this.
Intend to get the roof sorted first and then give it to service at Autobahn. However any pointers on good independent garage, who knows well about the TSI, will be much appreciated.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 19th February 2019 at 10:23.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 10:36   #1244
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TSI Stable grows!

Quote:
  1. The light on the fuel gauge and temp gauge needle seem to have faded and flickering. Anyway to get them fixed without changing the whole instrument cluster.
  2. The central locking doesn't seem to get auto activated at 15KMPH to lock all doors. I have to lock the doors thru the toggle switch. Any idea how to sort this
Excellent! Congratulations. It's a wonderful car. I had it for 9 years, exchanged it just a month or so ago.

Regarding the flickering lights - check the fuses in fuse box next to battery, in my case, one 30A fuse was melting and causing intermittent loose contact. Skoda service center fixed it. Here is the experience:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4480710 (Pune: Viraaj Skoda shuts down)

Regarding central locking, service center can enable this via software.

Regarding roof lining - a shop that does seats should be able to do it. In my case, fabric door liner started coming off, not the roof liner, got it done for ~4k at a nearby shop. He said roof liner also he can do and would cost similar.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th February 2019 at 10:37.
Old 19th February 2019, 11:03   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Can someone help me on how to activate the secondary bulb in the fog lamps. Are they cornering lamps or day time running lamps? What is their actual purpose?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks