Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 14:01   #481
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi guys

Need to take the laura for the 7500 km check up. bought the car from autobahn any suggestion on the service centre I should go since this will be my first experience with the skoda service. Logistically can either look at the sewri or the kurla one as plan to go myself and oversee the same
Would recommend Sewri, I have had good experiences with them so far.
Old 16th March 2013, 14:34   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
A couple of weeks back while driving my Laura TSi in the city I heard a weird sound which seemed to be emanating from the wheel. It was a sort of a groaning sound that was heard when the car was cruising at a steady speed of 40 kph. It was pretty loud. It sounded as if the wheel was rubbing against something. Initially I thought the sound was produced by some other vehicle in the vicinity. But later realised it was my car. This is the first time I've heard it. The sound seemed to be speed sensitive. It disappeared if I crossed say... 50 kph. The sound had no correlation with throttle input or engine rpm.

The same thing happened last Sunday. I took the car out for a short 5 km drive. The sound is not produced initially, but rather towards the end of the drive after the brakes and engine have warmed up. This time the sound was not as loud as last time and it was heard at a lower speeds 20 ~ 30 kph. Any pointers as to what may be the cause. Any DIY ideas? I would like to avoid going to the service centre if possible.

I must mention that the car has been stationary in my garage for six days a week for the past one month, as I've been using the AT hatch within the city. With no outstation travel the car has been sitting in the garage for over a month, with just one run every Sunday.
This could be a wheel bearing noise. Not a pressing issue, but you will have to get it checked i guess.

Cheers
Old 17th March 2013, 22:40   #483
BHPian

I'lll be getting a used Laura soon, and the rear right brakelight cover has a small crack. The whole assembly has to be replaced, I suppose.

I checked the cost of spare parts with Shetty Auto parts and came to know that there are three variants:
Chinese - Rs. 1300
Taiwanese - Rs. 1800
Original - Rs. 5500

They did not recommend the Chinese one but said the Taiwanese one would look almost the same with slight quality variation.
What do you think, guys? Anyone have any experience with them?

What would you suggest me to get?
Old 19th March 2013, 14:09   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi guys

Need to take the laura for the 7500 km check up. bought the car from autobahn any suggestion on the service centre I should go since this will be my first experience with the skoda service. Logistically can either look at the sewri or the kurla one as plan to go myself and oversee the same
Amidoc - isn't the Laura service only at 15k? Is the 7.5k checkup a part of the recommended service or something that you're doing?

I have a Laura which seems to have an AC with a mind of it's own. On days that are not very hot and during nights, the windscreen tends to get fogged up because of the AC even if it is not in defogging mode. Also when we put on the AC (it's a manual AC) and direct it to the passenger body, there seems to be some logic where in the middle vents (above the gear) do not always suppy air. The ones on the side do though. For the middle, it occassionaly goes to the legs and maybe the wind shield too.

Is this normal behaviour for a Laura?
Old 19th March 2013, 16:17   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Amidoc - isn't the Laura service only at 15k? Is the 7.5k checkup a part of the recommended service or something that you're doing?

I have a Laura which seems to have an AC with a mind of it's own. On days that are not very hot and during nights, the windscreen tends to get fogged up because of the AC even if it is not in defogging mode. Also when we put on the AC (it's a manual AC) and direct it to the passenger body, there seems to be some logic where in the middle vents (above the gear) do not always suppy air. The ones on the side do though. For the middle, it occassionaly goes to the legs and maybe the wind shield too.

Is this normal behaviour for a Laura?
Hi

I think the cars which were purchased in 2012 had this additional check up at 7500 km. Its not a service but a routine check and clean up.

I might also get the oil changed since otherwise will have to wait for the 15 k service.

Regarding the ac the fogging issue is quite common and has been discussed on the forum before. You can point it out when you give the car for service and they have to remove the dashboard and close certain blowers.

The better solution is to ensure that the fan direction setting is between the passenger and the legs. Also do not put the ac on full cool but at about 70 %. i also have the same issue and frequently adopt this method to minimize the fogging.

Regarding the middle vents isssue check where the directional setting is for the air. That might be the problem
Old 21st March 2013, 13:20   #486
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have 3 problems with my car. They are as follows. I would appreciate it if you guys can give me some feedback.

1) The Aux port has disappeared into a sinkhole. I do not know how to get it out. Kindly see the picture below.

2) The air-con is emits some odour when the car is first started. This does stop soon though.

3) The ambient temperature whilst I was driving yesterday showed 44.5 C. I am certain it was not so hot in Bangalore yesterday.

So if you guys can suggest how to get to my aux port and fix the other problems, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

imp!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-20130321_092520-1.jpg  

Old 21st March 2013, 17:08   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi Guys,

I have 3 problems with my car. They are as follows. I would appreciate it if you guys can give me some feedback.

1) The Aux port has disappeared into a sinkhole. I do not know how to get it out. Kindly see the picture below.

2) The air-con is emits some odour when the car is first started. This does stop soon though.

3) The ambient temperature whilst I was driving yesterday showed 44.5 C. I am certain it was not so hot in Bangalore yesterday.

So if you guys can suggest how to get to my aux port and fix the other problems, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

imp!
1) See if you can pluck the base plastic that seats the aux port out. THen fish out aux port and use super glue to put it all back together.

2) Most likely dirty AC pollen filter. Can be replaced at Skoda service at a cost. Or look up this thread. Member anandpadhye has posted how to clean it DIY.

3) Was it showing 44 C briefly or for an extended period of time? Is is t back to normal levels today? Faulty sensor maybe.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 17:25   #488
BHPian

Quote:
1) See if you can pluck the base plastic that seats the aux port out. THen fish out aux port and use super glue to put it all back together.

2) Most likely dirty AC pollen filter. Can be replaced at Skoda service at a cost. Or look up this thread. Member anandpadhye has posted how to clean it DIY.

3) Was it showing 44 C briefly or for an extended period of time? Is is t back to normal levels today? Faulty sensor maybe.

1) I tried doing that but the part was not coming out. I'll see if I can insert something into the well and pop it out from underneath.

2) Okay good to know. I will check to see if I can find a DIY or else I'll get it done at the next service, which is probably not too far away.

3) This is the one that has me slightly perturbed. The temperature was at 44 when I noticed it at towards the end of my drive back from work. This morning it was at 33 ( I forgot to look at it early this morning and only checked it when I was getting into work); I will monitor on my way back today and post an update this evening.

Thank you kindly for your help Santosh!

warm regards

imp!
Old 21st March 2013, 21:45   #489
BHPian

I have a Skoda Laura 1.9 pd, driven around 63k kms. I was driving recently uphill in Yercaud. Some notice started to come from the front right wheel, a kind of noise as if the pads were worn out and the discs were touching some metal part. But then, it was not continuos, so I drove on for another 2 kms till I reached the resort. After a break of about 3 hrs, started to drive and the noise was like as if some thing was stuck up and repeatedly for every rotation creats the noise at that particular position. I was worried, so stopped the car, removed the wheel after putting on the jack and rotated the discs and cheeks thoroughly . All seems fine nothing troubling the discs....so don't know..any suggestions or help pls ping soon...I am
Planning to drive down to Coimbatore then to palaghat..from there back to bangalore.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:27   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Okay today the gague was showing 26 degrees. yesterday it was 30. So even though it is just slightly higher than what it shows on my phone, I am not too worried. It could just be the sensor. I'll watch this for a few days and then report back.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:40   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post

Some notice started to come from the front right wheel, a kind of noise as if the pads were worn out and the discs were touching some metal part. But then, it was not continuos, so I drove on for another 2 kms till I reached the resort. After a break of about 3 hrs, started to drive and the noise was like as if some thing was stuck up and repeatedly for every rotation creats the noise at that particular position.

If you would be able to provide a little more information it may be helpful to troubleshoot. Can you feel the "noise" through the steering wheel? What sort of speeds were you doing when you noticed the knocking? Also check to make sure all guards and heat shields are attached firmly to the car. Lose shields are often the cause of knocking noise.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:49   #492
BHPian

Hi, stopped at S7 Cars Salem, the problem was apparently because of some stones getting into the calliper bay...below the view window, a quick job of cleaning it , solved the problem.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:21   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Okay today the gague was showing 26 degrees. yesterday it was 30. So even though it is just slightly higher than what it shows on my phone, I am not too worried. It could just be the sensor. I'll watch this for a few days and then report back.
Any idea where the sensor is placed? I remember seeing a sensor fixed just in front of the radiator. Is that the one?

It is quite possible the sensor may have picked up a heat wave from the road. A freshly laid tar road can absorb a lot of heat from the sun and radiate it upwards.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:39   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea where the sensor is placed? I remember seeing a sensor fixed just in front of the radiator. Is that the one?

It is quite possible the sensor may have picked up a heat wave from the road. A freshly laid tar road can absorb a lot of heat from the sun and radiate it upwards.
The temp sensor in current gen Laura is placed in front of radiator. Even my guess is same, the sensor might have picked heatwave, possibly from exhaust of the car he might have been following. Ive found the temp display in my Laura to be quite accurate.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 10:54   #495
BHPian

On Saturday I filled air in all 4 tyres to 32 psi. By the way I don't know what the recommended tyre pressure is, please advise.

Anyway today (3 days later), the tyre pressure warning light came on on the instrument cluster, and I immediately stopped for a check up. And true enough, the pressure on all the tyres was down to 28-29!

What is happening? :O

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks