Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:36   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply Akshay, can you shed some light on the recent brake pad change on your car. Should i go aftermarket or stay stock?
If I can come in, I'd say stay stock. Incidentally my TSI is getting serviced (4th service) at Vinayak cars today. Will be picking it up in the evening.

Getting rear pads changed this time. Estimate given : 5.8K. Front pads were changed at 38K kms. Car is now at 49K kms. The estimate given for regular service apart from change of pads is 11K.
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:04   #632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply Akshay, can you shed some light on the recent brake pad change on your car. Should i go aftermarket or stay stock?
Honestly even after the remap, with the 225s the brakes seem totally enough unless I am really pushing it. Go with stock, its not that expensive and serves the purpose well.
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:27   #633
BANNED

Quote:
My Laura TSI 2011 34k Kms is due for its 3rd service. ..... The service coordinator i spoke to mentioned that it would cost about 15k for the basic service and anything else would be addtional (on inspection), but online the Skoda official website says the basic service should cost 8.5k maximum. The service coordinator claims the cost of basic consumables which has increased. Does Anyone have an idea of what the actual costs are?

I would also like the change the Brake pads F&R, should i go with the official ones (costs about 11k all incl) or look at aftermarket alternatives. Can someone shed light on options/costs for the same.
The cost should be exactly what is indicated on the website. There are no changes to the costs of any of the items.

Stick to the stock brakes - they are rated well above the 1.8 TSI's capacity.

On another note, saw a Pete's tuned stickered VRS with drive shaft noise, worn clutch plate and turbo whistle!
Old 31st January 2014, 08:51   #634
BHPian

Hi Fello BHPians, I need some help with my Laura TDI (2012)

1> Is it OK to get my wheel alignment done from outside or do I need to stick to Skoda A.S.S. The company charges ~Rs1500/- for allignment and balancing, where as I get my other cars aligned for around Rs250 from the local tyre allignment shop

2> I have heard that the Skoda Laura requires Alignment for all 4 wheels? is this correct? Does it have the same trackrod thingy at the rear as well?
Old 31st January 2014, 16:06   #635
BHPian

Skoda Laura Technical guides/Problems/solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Hi Fello BHPians, I need some help with my Laura TDI (2012)

1> Is it OK to get my wheel alignment done from outside or do I need to stick to Skoda A.S.S. The company charges ~Rs1500/- for allignment and balancing, where as I get my other cars aligned for around Rs250 from the local tyre allignment shop

2> I have heard that the Skoda Laura requires Alignment for all 4 wheels? is this correct? Does it have the same trackrod thingy at the rear as well?
I get my car (TSI) aligned outside. No issue so far.

And yes, all four wheels need to be aligned.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:17   #636
BHPian

Hello all. I had left my Skoda Laura 1.9 TDI Elegance, thats done around 60 k kms, unused for a year.

I have removed all the four wheels and jacked the car on wodden blocks. I connected the battrey. Started the car, all well. Except for the power steering light glowing in the dash. The wheels are yet to be mounted. Is it ok. What do I do.

Dear Santosh bhat, please visit. Pjspeedshop. Google it. The guys name is Ponraj. He has a set of Ceramic pads. Itvcosts about 14 k for all 4 corners. Excellent performance and far superior to the stock. I have replaced them on my car. Its great.

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th February 2014 at 17:00. Reason: Merging Back to Back posts
Old 10th February 2014, 15:58   #637
BHPian

Hey all,

Just took delivery of a used 2011/2012 TSI Ambition with 10k kms on the odo.

Though not a technical problem, but was reading that the chrome exhaust tips are a) roughly about 6k from Skoda and (b) not as easy to put on as one might think since the exhaust is bent downwards?

Just wanted to check if anyone is aware of any alternatives in Delhi since 6k for exhaust tips seems a bit much and if getting it installed from anywhere else but A.S.S. might prove to be a problem.

Also, has anyone had any problems with the Skoda Shield if you have upgraded the HU or the speakers in the car? Thinking of getting 2 sets of components for the front and back, 6.5inch speakers if I'm correct.

Thanks for your help!
Anant
Old 10th February 2014, 17:05   #638
BHPian

Hi, congrats anant. I have got those double chrome exhausts put on my car and paid 6500 rs. But they are excellent quality and even after 3 years look brand new. Yes and fixing them is best done by skoda. You have to gas cut the pipes and then gas weld the new tips ..so that the exahust gas does not leak out from the joining. Once welded back, ask them to coat the welded portion with some paint, preferably a rust, moisture and heat resistant paint. If they do not have one, you can sourse it from outside. It will not cost you much.
Old 10th February 2014, 17:16   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
Hi, congrats anant. I have got those double chrome exhausts put on my car and paid 6500 rs. But they are excellent quality and even after 3 years look brand new. Yes and fixing them is best done by skoda. You have to gas cut the pipes and then gas weld the new tips ..so that the exahust gas does not leak out from the joining. Once welded back, ask them to coat the welded portion with some paint, preferably a rust, moisture and heat resistant paint. If they do not have one, you can sourse it from outside. It will not cost you much.
Thanks, will check with the service guys when I go by the center this coming weekend.

Also, via the VCDS cable, I am aware of the following being activated: DRL/ Cornering Lights, Follow Me Home lights, Needle Sweep and Auto-Lock (which I think is already activated on my car). Are all of the above applicable for the TSI Ambiente or are there any other features I'm missing?

Thanks again.
Old 10th February 2014, 17:26   #640
BHPian

All what ever you have mentioned can also be activated upon your request by the dealer himself. Please ask them to activate the drl. Regarding the cornering lights and follow me home. I dont know.
drrajanvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 17:50   #641
BHPian

I had the same query and went to the dealer. They said that only drl can be activated by them and the remaining are features which are not bult in my Laura Elegance but are standard in L&k so just got the drl activated by them
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Thanks, will check with the service guys when I go by the center this coming weekend.

Also, via the VCDS cable, I am aware of the following being activated: DRL/ Cornering Lights, Follow Me Home lights, Needle Sweep and Auto-Lock (which I think is already activated on my car). Are all of the above applicable for the TSI Ambiente or are there any other features I'm missing?

Thanks again.
Old 15th February 2014, 16:26   #642
BHPian

So just another update - popped by Jai Auto today; they had no idea about the needle sweep but said they would do the DRLs. With respect to my plans for a ICE upgrade, was told that any outside installation would void warranty. Was also quoted close to 3k for the original Skoda horn - which is quite ridiculous.

Anyhow the real issue - my visit to them was driven by the temp light flashing and blinking on the dash combined with heavy smoke from the engine.

After a good 4 hours of checking for a coolant leak, they determined that it was 99% a water pump failure. In order to check that, they needed to open the manifold. If it is the water pump, it'll take 3-4 days for the part to come in and another day to fix it. When I asked why this would happen, was told that "it just happens."

All in all, I wont be able to drive my new pre-owned Laura (TSI) which I've had for just about a week. Everything will be covered by Skoda Shield but it's still very off putting as the car is 1 year and 2 months old with just 10,600kms on the odo. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 15th February 2014, 18:06   #643
Team-BHP Support

[quote=anantnehru;3370393]

Anyhow the real issue - my visit to them was driven by the temp light flashing and blinking on the dash combined with heavy smoke from the engine.

After a good 4 hours of checking for a coolant leak, they determined that it was 99% a water pump failure. In order to check that, they needed to open the manifold. If it is the water pump, it'll take 3-4 days for the part to come in and another day to fix it. When I asked why this would happen, was told that "it just happens."

?[/]

it might the temp sensor is defective. I say that since it give wrong signals and causes the engine to run rich hence the smoke. I say this since you do not report any steam coming from engine. But again, it could be a new water pump as I met another member with a TSI who needed a new pump
Old 16th February 2014, 15:23   #644
BHPian

it might the temp sensor is defective. I say that since it give wrong signals and causes the engine to run rich hence the smoke. I say this since you do not report any steam coming from engine. But again, it could be a new water pump as I met another member with a TSI who needed a new pump[/quote]

Sorry when I said smoke/ steam it was from the engine, not the exhaust. So guessing its on the lines of the other members problem. Hopefully Jai doesn't pull any Skoda Surprises on me and gives the car back asap.
Old 17th February 2014, 17:30   #645
BHPian

Just another update - yet another Skoda Surpise. Though this time, in a good way. Spoke to SA sometime ago and he said they received the water pump and they've started installing it. According to him, the car will be ready by tomorrow afternoon. Am pretty impressed with them - given that he initially said it'll take a week. Now, if he really means tomorrow remains to be seen, but he seemed rather confident.

I will have to pay for the coolant that will be refilled (roughly about 2-2.5k), am not too sure if there are any labor charges applicable under warranty. Will provide an update when I get the car.
anantnehru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks