Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 17:11   #511
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post

The thing about timing belts is that you seldom get any warning that it's going to pop. One moment the car's driving all fine, the next moment you're on the road with a destroyed engine.

Timing belts for Octavia A5s have been known to snap at even 40k kms and it's best not to take any chances with it. I do regret that I didn't change the water pump though. :-/
Thanks but I guess 25000 kms before the recommended time is a little too much. Its a personal choice and I am saying that because my Skoda Laura DSG is 85000 kms run as of now and I will get the timing belt changed within next 1000 kms as the service is also due.
Old 18th June 2013, 15:27   #512
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Other than the km limit for the timing belt change, there is also a time limit. I guess the last official advisory that came from Skoda UK on this said 60k miles or 4 years, whichever is earlier. Since the engine faces more stress in our conditions, it would make sense to maybe replace at a lower km limit than what Skoda UK oficially advised.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 16:50   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Other than the km limit for the timing belt change, there is also a time limit. I guess the last official advisory that came from Skoda UK on this said 60k miles or 4 years, whichever is earlier. Since the engine faces more stress in our conditions, it would make sense to maybe replace at a lower km limit than what Skoda UK oficially advised.
Good point. My car is over 6 years old, so it's just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1604 View Post
Thanks but I guess 25000 kms before the recommended time is a little too much. Its a personal choice and I am saying that because my Skoda Laura DSG is 85000 kms run as of now and I will get the timing belt changed within next 1000 kms as the service is also due.
If your car is over 4 years old I would recommend you to get it done asap.
It's very costly if you do it from A.S.S, but outside you can get it done for as cheap as 1700+labour.
Oh yes, the water pump will be extra.
Old 18th June 2013, 17:45   #514
BANNED

Quote:

If your car is over 4 years old I would recommend you to get it done asap.
It's very costly if you do it from A.S.S, but outside you can get it done for as cheap as 1700+labour.
Oh yes, the water pump will be extra.
1700 + labor? Are you sure its 1700 and not 17000? Because I asked the A.S.S. guys they said it is around Rs. 17000 with rollers.
Old 20th June 2013, 01:51   #515
BHPian

Quote:
1700 + labor? Are you sure its 1700 and not 17000? Because I asked the A.S.S. guys they said it is around Rs. 17000 with rollers.
Yes. I got a new timing belt for 1700 bucks. It is not the branded one which you get from A.S.S. but one which is made in the same factory only without the branding.
But even the branded one is only 5500 rupees.

A.S.S might have quoted 17000 for replacement of timing belt + water pump + pulleys etc. which is still on the higher side.
EagleEye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 09:25   #516
BANNED

Quote:

Yes. I got a new timing belt for 1700 bucks. It is not the branded one which you get from A.S.S. but one which is made in the same factory only without the branding.
But even the branded one is only 5500 rupees.

A.S.S might have quoted 17000 for replacement of timing belt + water pump + pulleys etc. which is still on the higher side.
That's great. Can you share the contact details from where you bought it?
And also I confirmed frm A.S.S. that Rs. 17000 doesn't include water pump, its only the belt + pulleys + labor.
Old 20th June 2013, 12:24   #517
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Had got my Timing belt plus rollers work done for about Rs. 12+ K about 3-4 years back at the ASS.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:15   #518
BHPian

Quote:

I would still recommend that you do not use unbranded spares for critical parts like timming belt.

You have to change the pulley bearing and bolt along with timing belt which is absolutely necessary.

Waterpump is changed only if required and not along with timing belt kit.

P.S. Genuine belt very difficult to get outside Skoda A.S.S.
Old 20th June 2013, 19:42   #519
BHPian

Quote:
That's great. Can you share the contact details from where you bought it?
And also I confirmed frm A.S.S. that Rs. 17000 doesn't include water pump, its only the belt + pulleys + labor.
I got it done from Andrade's garage, which is recommended by Team-BHP moderator navin:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...li-mumbai.html
They sourced the part themselves. I had gotten this done along with a host of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
I would still recommend that you do not use unbranded spares for critical parts like timming belt.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Maybe I have made a mistake. :(
But the manager had assured me that it was the same quality. Seeing that the garage was recommended by the forum and as I had a feeling that the guy knew he was talking about, I agreed.

Quote:
You have to change the pulley bearing and bolt along with timing belt which is absolutely necessary.

Waterpump is changed only if required and not along with timing belt kit.
I didn't get the pulleys changed. Maybe another mistake. I'll get the entire set (including water pump) replaced the next time I change it, which would have to be soon. What do you suggest?

Quote:
P.S. Genuine belt very difficult to get outside Skoda A.S.S.
Almost all types of spare parts are available in Opera House.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:22   #520
BANNED

Hey bhpians,

I gave my Skoda Laura L&K AT for service last week in Chandigarh A.S.S. I have kind of lost trust in them now. They charged me for wheel balancing & alignment & today I drove the car its not proper, the car goes to left. Also today I noticed that the Exhaust Inspection System light is on & it seems the turbo is also not working. I couldn't notice the jump in pickup after 2000 RPM. Kindly let me know if anyone has faced same problem before & what were the possible reasons?
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:30   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Hey bhpians,

I gave my Skoda Laura L&K AT for service last week in Chandigarh A.S.S. I have kind of lost trust in them now. They charged me for wheel balancing & alignment & today I drove the car its not proper, the car goes to left. Also today I noticed that the Exhaust Inspection System light is on & it seems the turbo is also not working. I couldn't notice the jump in pickup after 2000 RPM. Kindly let me know if anyone has faced same problem before & what were the possible reasons?
Please mention what's the mileage on the car and whether the warranty is over.
If it's not under warranty then DO NOT go to the A.S.S for servicing the car. It's a waste of money. It's better to find a good independent workshop in your area and take it there, which is what I'm doing.

If the car is still under warranty, take it back to the A.S.S and get the above problems rectified.

Btw even if the car is under warranty, there's no need to get wheel alignment done by them.
Old 23rd June 2013, 14:33   #522
BANNED

Quote:

Please mention what's the mileage on the car and whether the warranty is over.
If it's not under warranty then DO NOT go to the A.S.S for servicing the car. It's a waste of money. It's better to find a good independent workshop in your area and take it there, which is what I'm doing.

If the car is still under warranty, take it back to the A.S.S and get the above problems rectified.

Btw even if the car is under warranty, there's no need to get wheel alignment done by them.
Hey EagleEye

The car has almost done 85k kms & is not in warranty. Actually my father uses this car & he doesn't drive it too often that is why he couldn't notice the exhaust inspection light turned on. Now that I am home I noticed it & will go to the A.S.S. tomorrow because it has turned on only after the service. Before that it was working fine.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:42   #523
BANNED

Hey bhpians

The update on Exhaust Inspection Light is that, I went to the Skoda A.S.S. today in the morning & the mechanic connected the laptop to the car to diagnose the problem. I was sitting beside him. All he did was check the DTC memory content & then erase it according to the fault code & then refresh. The error went away & the car started running fine without the exhaust inspection light.
One more insight was that when the exhaust inspection light is on then the car runs in emergency mode & that is why the turbo doesn't work.
Thumper1604 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 00:08   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One more insight was that when the exhaust inspection light is on then the car runs in emergency mode & that is why the turbo doesn't work.
That's a good piece of information. This knowledge may help a lot of Skoda owners. Thankfully, many owners will not get too much tensed if the turbo is not working in a similar condition. Thanks for the update!
Old 27th June 2013, 20:09   #525
BHPian

Guys, I have a query regarding the ORVMs - Are they heated or not? It says so in the manual and my mirror adjustment knob also has an icon that looks like a heater element.
But if I pull the knob into that position, it has no effect. Can anyone comment on this?

(I have an L&K)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks