Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 11:09   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
On Saturday I filled air in all 4 tyres to 32 psi. By the way I don't know what the recommended tyre pressure is, please advise.

Anyway today (3 days later), the tyre pressure warning light came on on the instrument cluster, and I immediately stopped for a check up. And true enough, the pressure on all the tyres was down to 28-29!

What is happening? :O
I guess your car is running on 16 inchers. I believe the recommended pressure should be either 33 or 34 psi for the TDI. At these pressures the ride will be a bit harsh in Indian conditions. 32 psi should be OK or if you want a more comfy ride, you can even go for 30 psi. Just make sure you are checking pressures when the tyre is cold and if you are planning to go out on the highway, you may consider upping the pressures to 33 ~ 34 psi.

I didn't know that the tpms is that sensitive! Do cross check the pressure readings with another gauge to make sure your pressure gauge is giving out correct readings. In my experience I have found that gauges at most fuel pumps are not calibrated. Sometimes the tyre valves leak air slowly. Get it checked at a tyre clinic and replace if necessary.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 13:12   #497
BHPian

Thanks for that Santosh bhai. It could be a tyre problem; I think I'll get them checked at Saifee tyres. Though the previous owner of the car assures me that they are only 15000 kms old (I just got the car you see).

Another couple of questions I wanted to ask here:

1) When I took the car to the A.S.S. for check-up they said that timing belt/water pump is due for replacement along with a host of other things. Should I get this done asap? I didn't trust the A.S.S people so I told them not to carry out the work.

2) There are some minor creaks coming from various directions from inside the cabin when I drive over rough patches, where can I take the car to get these identified and resolved?

3) There is a very low squealing sound coming from the front left part of the car (I think it is from outside) only when I'm braking at low speeds. It's so low that I can hear it only if the music system is completely switched off. I think it's just the brake pads that need cleaning, but if you guys feel there might be some other issue please let me know.

4) The CD changer seems to have some CDs inside but I am not able to eject them. It says 'CD' error when I try. I am also not able to insert any more CDs. Where in Mumbai can I get it checked and fixed (affordably)?

5) In the driver's seat lumbar support adjustment button, the motor seems to be really weak. The part inside the seat moves very slowly and sometimes doesn't work. The A.S.S. quoted me 40k for replacement of the whole unit. I don't think replacement of the unit is necessary as all other adjustment buttons are working perfectly. Is there some place in Mumbai I can get it professionally repaired?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EagleEye : 26th March 2013 at 13:15.
Old 26th March 2013, 16:01   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Excellent.
BTW, did they charge for VAG scanning? My blood boils when I see that - this damn thing should be free because it's their problem that their cars can not be serviced/diagnosed without the scan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
No they did not charge for the scan. I would be equally outraged.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
I told you so! The A.S.S. erases all DTC's Before doing the Scan on their VAS. Also VAS Scan is always free since its a diagnostic procedure. if you ever get charged for a VAS scan Please report it to Skoda!
Was just going through the thread and Skoda JMD in Kandivali (Mumbai) have charged me Rs. 750 + TAX for VAG scanning when I took it in for a check up on Saturday!

Going to report to Skoda. Can you guide me as to whom I should contact?
Old 26th March 2013, 16:53   #499
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Answers inline below in ALL CAPS
Quote:

1) When I took the car to the A.S.S. for check-up they said that timing belt/water pump is due for replacement along with a host of other things. Should I get this done asap? I didn't trust the A.S.S people so I told them not to carry out the work. -

Ans: This can be risky. URGENTLY Get it done at the ASS - JMD Bhandup is good.

2) There are some minor creaks coming from various directions from inside the cabin when I drive over rough patches, where can I take the car to get these identified and resolved?

Ans: The ASS will do it for free mostly when you do the above work. In anycase will not charge a lot and will do it cleaner than a road side guy.

3) There is a very low squealing sound coming from the front left part of the car (I think it is from outside) only when I'm braking at low speeds. It's so low that I can hear it only if the music system is completely switched off. I think it's just the brake pads that need cleaning, but if you guys feel there might be some other issue please let me know.

Seems to be nothing - Point it out to ASS - probably as you mentioned needs some disk cleaning spray.

4) The CD changer seems to have some CDs inside but I am not able to eject them. It says 'CD' error when I try. I am also not able to insert any more CDs. Where in Mumbai can I get it checked and fixed (affordably)?

Go To SION KOLIWADA - The Line up of Audio Road Side Shops out there can do this. (Am NOT refering to the Accessories shops but perpendicular to them right at the junction.)

I HAD THIS PROBLEM WHEN UNDER warranty - It was replaced. The CD unit has a method which needs to be followed to insert CD's and to eject them and If one just pushes in a CD without following the correct procedure then the problem you mention could happen. (This is a worry when leaving the car with Drivers who may not understand)

5) In the driver's seat lumbar support adjustment button, the motor seems to be really weak. The part inside the seat moves very slowly and sometimes doesn't work. The A.S.S. quoted me 40k for replacement of the whole unit. I don't think replacement of the unit is necessary as all other adjustment buttons are working perfectly. Is there some place in Mumbai I can get it professionally repaired?

I agree replacement does not seem necessary you will need to go to a good electricals guys outside. The one I go too may be too messy for you. Try a Private Garage close to where you stay.

Thanks in advance.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 12:02   #500
BHPian

So an update on the temperature sensor. I think it may be faulty. Its been consistently showing +- 5-10 degrees from my phone which is set on accuweather alerts.

More importantly !!!

I had a chance to do some short high speed runs yesterday. at around 126-128 kph, there is a whinning sound that emenates from somewhere near the drivers door. The door was recently repaired because some idiot motorcyclist rammed into it while it was parked. I love riding bikes as much as the next guy, but I hate the way these bikers ride in Bangalore. Cutting people off from the left and the right, coming right in front of you and slowing down so as to test ones brakes. No care for their own necks
I am really worried about this. So much so that I am seriously considering taking a half day and driving to Tafe to see what they have to say about it. My blood is beginning to boil (but that is more OCD about my car being in pristine, off the assembly line condition than anything else, I hate even the regular gravel chips on the car that flake the paint, at the very least people here can understand my compulsion)

Last edited by imp! : 27th March 2013 at 12:11.
Old 27th March 2013, 12:14   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post

I had a chance to do some short high speed runs yesterday. at around 126-128 kph, there is a whinning sound that emenates from somewhere near the drivers door.
There is a known issue with air escaping in the weather beading/clip of driver side door and happens on most Laura's. Its usually a 5 mins job to fix. I got it fixed on my car at Tafe a year back or so.
Old 27th March 2013, 12:39   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
There is a known issue with air escaping in the weather beading/clip of driver side door and happens on most Laura's. Its usually a 5 mins job to fix. I got it fixed on my car at Tafe a year back or so.

Thanks Rohit, I did not realize this was a known issue. Can you share what the fix was? I am still disconcerted enough to want to go and get this fixed. We are going to kodaikanal tomorrow and whilst my superiors (mum, dad and aunt) at home want to comfort of the Innova, I am hoping against hope that the Laura will win out.

Ofcourse my love for my car can cause angina pains and that is not good!

muchos gracias

imp!
Old 27th March 2013, 15:42   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Answers inline below in ALL CAPS
Thanks ACM. I went to Koliwada to a shop called 'Alankar'. They said they needed time to fix an OE music system, and asked me to leave it there for a couple of days. Since I needed the car for these holidays I didn't do that, but I'll get it repaired asap. Till then I have my AUX cable.

With regard to the timing belt, as per skodaparts.com, the price is only some 80 pounds excluding shipping and customs (around INR 6500). The water pump costs some 110 pounds. Including shipping and customs both can't cross 20000 rupees I'm thinking.

The quote I got from the A.S.S. was 35000 bucks. If you have gotten this work done from the A.S.S., could you please share the details and split up of the cost? Wouldn't it be cheaper to go to an outside garage and get this done? They might also have the parts ready and available.

Oh and btw... I just realized - It was you who I had spoken to once on the phone, to ask about your car for sale.

EDIT: Links:
http://www.skodaparts.com/product/oc...004-2013-27112
http://www.skodaparts.com/product/oc...004-2013-50406

Last edited by EagleEye : 27th March 2013 at 15:44.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:43   #504
BHPian

I just completed a full-tank run on my used Laura DSG, and it's returning an average of 11 kmpl (Matches with the average calculated by the on-board computer).
This is purely city running, with a lot of stop-start involved especially on the western express highway. Is this figure normal?

My Verna AT (4-speed) back home gives around 10 kmpl on average.
Old 8th April 2013, 23:23   #505
BHPian

I have sent in my car for some dent repair work and general service to an outside workshop.

For the service, the following are the parts being changed and the cost of them:
Oil: Mobil 1 (7 Ltrs) - Rs. 5600
Oil Filter - Rs. 590
Air Filter - Rs. 562
Diesel Filter - Rs. 956
Timing belt - Rs. 1743
Labor - Rs. 3500

When I saw the prices of the parts (especially timing belt) I felt they were in fact too low. I asked the manager about them but he assured that they would be original parts. The timing belt would not be the VW branded one but one of exact same quality that is made in Germany.

It is necessary to replace the pulleys also at the time of replacing the timing belt? What are the implications if I don't replace the pulleys? Also I have read that the timing belt and water pump are replaced together; if I don't replace the water pump now will there be any adverse effects?

Also for a used car bought at 65000 and now at 66200 is there any other part that I should get checked and replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
So an update on the temperature sensor. I think it may be faulty. Its been consistently showing +- 5-10 degrees from my phone which is set on accuweather alerts.
I think my temperature sensor also shows around 3-5 degrees higher than the actual. Are you still facing this or did you manage to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance, everyone.
Old 9th April 2013, 08:49   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would you be needing 7 litres of engine oil?
Old 9th April 2013, 09:08   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Umm.. Lemme check again. I might have not heard him correctly.
Old 17th June 2013, 03:29   #508
BHPian

OK. A couple of questions:
(It seems like I'm asking all the unanswerable questions )

1) I want to change the tail lamps (bulbs) on my Laura - brake lights and indicator lights. Can someone guide me as to what specifications I need to get? Will some LED lights like these work without causing trouble?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/1SET-CAR-BIKE...ht_3082wt_1140

2) I need to change my horns. I was looking at Hella Twintones. Is there any difference in the sounds between the black and red varieties? There seems to be a small price difference between the two.

Black: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Hella-Twin-To...#ht_5806wt_907
Red: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Hella-Red-Sko...#ht_2541wt_907
Old 17th June 2013, 08:09   #509
BANNED

Quote:
I have sent in my car for some dent repair work and general service to an outside workshop.

For the service, the following are the parts being changed and the cost of them:
Oil Filter - Rs. 590
Air Filter - Rs. 562
Diesel Filter - Rs. 956
Timing belt - Rs. 1743
Labor - Rs. 3500

When I saw the prices of the parts (especially timing belt) I felt they were in fact too low. I asked the manager about them but he assured that they would be original parts. The timing belt would not be the VW branded one but one of exact same quality that is made in Germany.

It is necessary to replace the pulleys also at the time of replacing the timing belt? What are the implications if I don't replace the pulleys? Also I have read that the timing belt and water pump are replaced together; if I don't replace the water pump now will there be any adverse effects?

Also for a used car bought at 65000 and now at 66200 is there any other part that I should get checked and replaced?

I think my temperature sensor also shows around 3-5 degrees higher than the actual. Are you still facing this or did you manage to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance, everyone.
The timing belt of Skoda Laura DSG needs replacement after 90000 kms. I think it was too early to get it replaced until you were facing trouble with it. Also the price of timing belt replacement is around Rs. 19000 including labor.
Old 17th June 2013, 16:53   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I didn't. They'd made a mistake, engine sump capacity is 5 Ltrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1604 View Post
The timing belt of Skoda Laura DSG needs replacement after 90000 kms. I think it was too early to get it replaced until you were facing trouble with it. Also the price of timing belt replacement is around Rs. 19000 including labor.
The thing about timing belts is that you seldom get any warning that it's going to pop. One moment the car's driving all fine, the next moment you're on the road with a destroyed engine.

Timing belts for Octavia A5s have been known to snap at even 40k kms and it's best not to take any chances with it. I do regret that I didn't change the water pump though. :-/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks