Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2012, 21:30   #466
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Seacat
After pressing both buttons when the Ac button starts flashing, press it once again to start the setting. It will take another 20 sec to calibrate the flap. What you can observe (if the engine is at normal operating temperature) is that the air will become full hot and then full cold to test both limits. There will be no other indication.

Regards
Behemoth
Thanks Behemoth , when I did this earlier,there was no change in air temp.I will try this again and revert. But thanks again for the advise
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:50   #467
BHPian

Anyone know of a good garage/mechanic with a VAG-COM who can help evaluate a AT Laura L&K? Someone who can give it a thorough check-up and a cost estimate of any issues that may crop up.

Car's in Mumbai FYI!
Old 5th January 2013, 07:28   #468
BHPian

Hi all,

One of my friend's 2009 Skoda Laura TDI DSG has a louder than normal Turbo whistle. Looks like the turbo spooling is normal but the whistle is quite loud and can be heard inside the car with the windows rolled up. The service advisor in TAFE is suggesting that the turbo is on its way out and should be replaced ( INR 1,20,000 damage)

I have driven the car and found it to be normal, maybe slightly low on acceleration but still very fast. Also there is no smoke under normal acceleration. Looking at these, I feel that the turbo is fine but there could be some other associated issues with the turbo hoses etc.

Please give your inputs in this regard and also suggest a good service advisor who can evaluate the car and give a honest diagnosis. The car is in Bangalore. In case the name and contact details of the advisor can not be mentioned in forum, kindly send the same through a PM to me.

Looking forward for your support and advice,
Old 24th January 2013, 15:10   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Bulb warning lamp

Today the bulb warning lamp (yellow) lit up.
I switch on the headlamps and checked, the left low beam lamp is not working. The owner manual says this is not something the user should try to replace and should be done by Skoda Service Partner

I will try my best to replace the lamp, but before that I want to check if it's really the bulb or fuse. The headlamp fuses are inside the cabin, as per the maual, but does anyone know if there is separate fuse for each low-beam headlamp or a common one for both? If it's common, then I have to say the bulb is gone as right low-beam is OK.

Mine is TSi Ambient.

Thanks,
Anand
Old 25th January 2013, 09:50   #470
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bulb warning lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Today the bulb warning lamp (yellow) lit up.
I switch on the headlamps and checked, the left low beam lamp is not working. The owner manual says this is not something the user should try to replace and should be done by Skoda Service Partner

I will try my best to replace the lamp, but before that I want to check if it's really the bulb or fuse. The headlamp fuses are inside the cabin, as per the maual, but does anyone know if there is separate fuse for each low-beam headlamp or a common one for both? If it's common, then I have to say the bulb is gone as right low-beam is OK.
AFAIK the Laura has a single beam setup, so a single bulb must be having twin filaments for high and low beam. In such an event it cannot be a fuse issue. One filament of the bulb must have fused and it should be a 5 minutes bulb replacement job.
Old 25th January 2013, 09:54   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
AFAIK the Laura has a single beam setup, so a single bulb must be having twin filaments for high and low beam. In such an event it cannot be a fuse issue. One filament of the bulb must have fused and it should be a 5 minutes bulb replacement job.
Nope, Laura has twin barrel headlamps. A separate bulb for low beam in a projector setup and a regular halogen reflector based for high beam. In the lower end trims both high and low are halogen bulbs but in the L&K, the low beam is a HID bulb whereas the high beam is a halogen.

edit: I maybe wrong since the old Octavia vRS had the foglamps in the main headlamp as well.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th January 2013 at 09:58.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:01   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nope, Laura has twin barrel headlamps.
My bad. Then I feel it should not be a major issue checking the bulb. I doubt it to be a fuse issue. The Superb manual clearly gives directions for changing bulbs to extent of how to remove it and replace it yourself, so I presume same should hold good for it sibling Laura.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 12:22   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually my question is whether there is a common fuse for both low-beam bulbs (left and right). Both high-beams are working so I am not concerned about them. I will open the fuse box and check tomorrow and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nope, Laura has twin barrel headlamps. A separate bulb for low beam in a projector setup and a regular halogen reflector based for high beam. In the lower end trims both high and low are halogen bulbs but in the L&K, the low beam is a HID bulb whereas the high beam is a halogen.
Yes, Laura has two separate bulbs - one for high beam in reflector housing and second for low beam in projector housing. In TSi Ambient, the low beam bulb is a halogen inspite of the fact that the housing can support HIDs.

Quote:
My bad. Then I feel it should not be a major issue checking the bulb. I doubt it to be a fuse issue. The Superb manual clearly gives directions for changing bulbs to extent of how to remove it and replace it yourself, so I presume same should hold good for it sibling Laura.
Wow, so you are lucky. Laura manual says these bulbs can not be replaced by the user and should be done by Skoda Service Partner. But I found a good thread and I will try this step by step tomorrow:
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...t-bulb-change/
It will be interesting to see if the instrucions in the Superb manual are same or different.

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th January 2013 at 12:23.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:01   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:
I see the Laura owner manual also mentions the procedure to replace the bulbs. my bad.

BTW, I see the market is filled with hyped products (Diamond vision, Crystal vision, Nightbreakers and bla bla bla) sold for Rs.1000 for a pair or something like that. Most of them look like some crap blue coat on the bulb glass to convert yellow light into white!!!

I am looking for a simple standard (OEM quality) H1/H7 bulb and nobody is interested in selling it to me. And I want only a single bulb and not a pair. I am not in a hurry anyway as I don't use the car everyday and there is a backup available so I am not going to give up. Going to dealer for this? No way.... I hope to find time this Saturday and get this done.

Anyone knows where I can get a simple standard (regular yellow) H7 bulb?

Cheers!
Old 11th February 2013, 15:37   #475
BHPian

I have a 2010 SKODA laura MT 2.0. The body coloured rubber beading that runs on the doors are posing a problem. The beading on the rear door moves slightly into the front door when the rear door is opened. It has been the case since i bought the car.

Now the beading on the rear door appears to have slightly come of the door and as it is getting pushed into the front door, the beading on the rear door is getting bent. When i checked with gurudev motors, they want INR 5000/- to replace the door beading as they say the beading cannot be pasted back on to the door. The door beading is in good shape with a recently bent edge

Is there a way to fix the beading on the door without getting it replaced?
Old 11th February 2013, 18:28   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Update:

I am looking for a simple standard (OEM quality) H1/H7 bulb and nobody is interested in selling it to me. And I want only a single bulb and not a pair. I am not in a hurry anyway as I don't use the car everyday and there is a backup available so I am not going to give up. Going to dealer for this? No way.... I hope to find time this Saturday and get this done.

Cheers!
Philips Extreme Vision are available in Singles and not in Pairs. Earlier they used to come in pair packing, but based on feedback Philips started selling in Single pieces in case One bulb fails.. This is what the shop owner told me.

Cost was Rs.550 per piece.

Normal H4/H7 Philips were also available at around Rs.150 a piece(guess estimate).

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 11th February 2013 at 18:30.
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 13:38   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Philips Extreme Vision are available in Singles and not in Pairs. Earlier they used to come in pair packing, but based on feedback Philips started selling in Single pieces in case One bulb fails.. This is what the shop owner told me.

Cost was Rs.550 per piece.

Normal H4/H7 Philips were also available at around Rs.150 a piece(guess estimate).

Cheers
MKP
Finally, I went to a local garrage and asked for a simple OEM spec H7 replacement bulb. They were selling Bosch make for Rs.180/piece. I bought 2, replaced the faulty one and kept the other as spare. They were very enthusiastic to know which car it is so that they can tell me the fitment charges. I told them that I just want to buy the bulb and "walk away". They were a little disappointed....

My cousin and I then attempted the procedure to change the low-beam bulb. We found it a little tricky for 2 reasons I think:
1. We had never replaced any headlight bulb before.
2. The instructions in the owner manual did not match 100% to what we had to do. Skoda could have done a better job with the steps they have mentioned (and because I thought the procedure is mentioned in the manual, I did not take a copy of the briskoda thread that has real pictures of how the user did before we hit the road). And now that I am back from the trip, I checked that thread I see that our headlamp unit is slightly different...

I will post details and will highlight the steps that we had to deviate from. They may sound very minor (and any problem, however complex, looks simple once solved ), but we had our nervous moments - specially because we confidentally said no to the fitting charges when the garrage guy offered us and walked away with some DIY pride that we hadn't earned at that time... he he he.

In the end, we managed to replace the bulb and all is well. The low-beam alignment is also undisturbed so the small job is well done.

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 18th February 2013 at 13:42.
Old 12th March 2013, 18:23   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of weeks back while driving my Laura TSi in the city I heard a weird sound which seemed to be emanating from the wheel. It was a sort of a groaning sound that was heard when the car was cruising at a steady speed of 40 kph. It was pretty loud. It sounded as if the wheel was rubbing against something. Initially I thought the sound was produced by some other vehicle in the vicinity. But later realised it was my car. This is the first time I've heard it. The sound seemed to be speed sensitive. It disappeared if I crossed say... 50 kph. The sound had no correlation with throttle input or engine rpm.

The same thing happened last Sunday. I took the car out for a short 5 km drive. The sound is not produced initially, but rather towards the end of the drive after the brakes and engine have warmed up. This time the sound was not as loud as last time and it was heard at a lower speeds 20 ~ 30 kph. Any pointers as to what may be the cause. Any DIY ideas? I would like to avoid going to the service centre if possible.

I must mention that the car has been stationary in my garage for six days a week for the past one month, as I've been using the AT hatch within the city. With no outstation travel the car has been sitting in the garage for over a month, with just one run every Sunday.
Old 12th March 2013, 18:49   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I heard a weird sound which seemed to be emanating from the wheel. It was a sort of a groaning sound that was heard when the car was cruising at a steady speed of 40 kph.
Get your brake discs checked and cleaned. Maybe something or small pebble is stuck or the discs are sticking.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 12:17   #480
BHPian

Hi guys

Need to take the laura for the 7500 km check up. bought the car from autobahn any suggestion on the service centre I should go since this will be my first experience with the skoda service. Logistically can either look at the sewri or the kurla one as plan to go myself and oversee the same

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks