Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 15:45   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I did get the EGR, throttle body and intake manifold cleaned on Saturday. The EGR was full of soot. I took pictures which I will post later. However the cleaning of parts did not change anything.

'Intake manifold flap motor'
'Multiclutch adaptation limit reached' (Any idea what this is - apparently A** guys don't know a thing about it)
Hi Cesc,

After getting the throttle body and intake manifold cleaned, did you go for the Throttle body alignment? This is a reset to basic settings for the Throttle manifold flap which is mandatory after the throttle body removal and cleaning. Basically it resets and learns the correct position for the Throttle valve so that you get the correct response to accelerator input.

You can find some more info on this on the Ross-Tech VCDS procedure:
Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Throttle Body Alignment

There is also a video which explains the VCDS procedure.

The Skoda VAS 1552 system also does the same process, but maybe in a different procedure.

Hopefully this may solve the problem for you if it was not done earlier.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 1st May 2012 at 15:54.
Old 1st May 2012, 15:55   #317
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ACM Thanks for your response. There is a slight turbo whistle but my understanding is that it does not suggest anything is majorly wrong with the turbo.
A slight turbo whistle can suggest that a turbo pipe is leaking and hence there can be a drop in power. This will normally also cause some amout of drop in oil level - so do check for that. and have the turbo pipes checked. There are two below and 1 or 2 above. Sometimes the clip which holds two pipes with each other or with the end comes loose / fall off and this too can cause loss of air and hence the whistle. You will have to get the car raised on a ram and remove the bottom cover to check if the Bottom Turbo pipes are fine.

Each turbo pipe costs about Rs. 3000 in the Authorized centre.

That is if EGR is not at fault.

If EGR solved your black smoke problem then it could be one of the culpits and there could be another fault as well.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:44   #318
BHPian

Experts need an advice. Our Laura TDI CR which is 5 months old and having done 18K, observed that white fumes are coming out from the oil dip stick area with engine running in normal operating temp. Any idea as to what could be the reason. I dont want to go to a skoda dealer as long as it is normal as i dont trust these guys.

Saw a similar thread but the age of the car was different.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-dipstick.html
Old 4th May 2012, 17:29   #319
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Experts need an advice. Our Laura TDI CR which is 5 months old and having done 18K, observed that white fumes are coming out from the oil dip stick area with engine running in normal operating temp. Any idea as to what could be the reason. I dont want to go to a skoda dealer as long as it is normal as i dont trust these guys.

Saw a similar thread but the age of the car was different.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-dipstick.html
Have you checked the oil levels? Since when have you observed this? Is the oil level dipping since the smoke is coming out?
Old 4th May 2012, 17:32   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Have you checked the oil levels? Since when have you observed this? Is the oil level dipping since the smoke is coming out?
I just observed it today when i opened the bonnet to replenish windshield washer fluid. I need to check the oil level. If the oil level is dipping, what could it mean?
Old 4th May 2012, 17:44   #321
BANNED

Quote:
I just observed it today when i opened the bonnet to replenish windshield washer fluid. I need to check the oil level. If the oil level is dipping, what could it mean?
If the oil consumption increases, it means a loss of compression in one or more cylinders resulting in premature wear of piston rings but in your case, since the car has done only 18k kms, piston rings will not wear out so fast. The oil separator could have also clogged up resulting in these fumes.

Did you rip the car when it was running in? Did you overfill the oil by any chance?
Old 4th May 2012, 17:52   #322
BHPian

Quote:
If the oil consumption increases, it means a loss of compression in one or more cylinders resulting in premature wear of piston rings but in your case, since the car has done only 18k kms, piston rings will not wear out so fast. The oil separator could have also clogged up resulting in these fumes.

Did you rip the car when it was running in? Did you overfill the oil by any chance?
Car was never ripped in running in time. Oil was filled only by Vinayak Skoda during delivery and at first service at 15K which was done one month ago. Next few days i will check if oil is dipping. I saw this today morning and the car is now in Ooty and is on its way back. My cousin who is taken it said the smoke is still ON when he checked few minutes back.
Old 4th May 2012, 17:55   #323
BANNED

Quote:
Car was never ripped in running in time. Oil was filled only by Vinayak Skoda during delivery and at first service at 15K which was done one month ago. Next few days i will check if oil is dipping. I saw this today morning and the car is now in Ooty and is on its way back. My cousin who is taken it said the smoke is still ON when he checked few minutes back.
Since the car has been driven to Ooty from Bangalore, some amount of white smoke is normal. Ask your cousin to check the oil level in the morning. Unless you see smoke during your first start in the morning, it is pretty much normal, don't worry.
Old 4th May 2012, 17:58   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Since the car has been driven to Ooty from Bangalore, some amount of white smoke is normal. Ask your cousin to check the oil level in the morning. Unless you see smoke during your first start in the morning, it is pretty much normal, don't worry.
Thank you. I will check the oil level and post again. I first observed this today morning in Bangalore before they started the Ooty trip. So i am little worried.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:21   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Cesc,

After getting the throttle body and intake manifold cleaned, did you go for the Throttle body alignment?
Hi Behemoth,

No I did not get the throtle body aligned. My understanding (after reading on various VW, Audi and Skoda forums) is that it is not essential to get the throttle body aligned after cleaning. Do you think it is essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
A slight turbo whistle can suggest that a turbo pipe is leaking and hence there can be a drop in power. This will normally also cause some amout of drop in oil level - so do check for that. and have the turbo pipes checked. There are two below and 1 or 2 above. Sometimes the clip which holds two pipes with each other or with the end comes loose / fall off and this too can cause loss of air and hence the whistle. You will have to get the car raised on a ram and remove the bottom cover to check if the Bottom Turbo pipes are fine.

Each turbo pipe costs about Rs. 3000 in the Authorized centre.

That is if EGR is not at fault.

If EGR solved your black smoke problem then it could be one of the culpits and there could be another fault as well.
ACM,

The swapping of EGRs did not solve any problem. The black smoke problem has remained and so has the underpowered and low FE problem. I guess the black smoke problem seemed apparently solved at A** because the guys there revved the engine hard at idle a lot of times before the change. I have observed that for the first few high throttle inputs the car smokes a lot but then settles down. For example if I rev the car hard then it will smoke as the revs are climbing but will not smoke once the revs settle. Also for each succesive higher revving it will smoke less and less. A clogged exhaust maybe????

I got the intercooler cleaned and all the pipes examined. Problem remains. The pies were all fine except for a very minor lock problem on one of the pipes. The lock on that pipe had worn out a bit but that was not found to be responsible for my problems.

So only 2 things remain now - the exhaust and the turbo. I am not sure if the turbo has anything to do with my problems. This because my car accelerates fine and easily touches the 3 figure mark. Can someone please advise if turbo issues can result in low FE and lower power in low gears and rpm?

Also what can a clogged exhaust do? As in can it result in the problems that I am experienceing?

The plan now is to source a turbo to experiment with. A new one at A** cost 1.2L and an original one imported will cost 45k. I am trying to source one that I can install in my car and observe and return in case it does not solve my issues. Darn all this is so frustrating
Old 7th May 2012, 15:15   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Behemoth,

No I did not get the throtle body aligned. My understanding (after reading on various VW, Audi and Skoda forums) is that it is not essential to get the throttle body aligned after cleaning. Do you think it is essential?
Hi Cesc,

Yes, it is essential to do the Throttle body alignment to get the right mix of air and fuel. Basically it is a physical return to home for the Throttle valve to learn its correct position. I have a hunch that this may well solve the problem for you, since you have checked everything else. It will recalibrate the throttle position for correct Air Fuel ratio and response.
(PM me if you need help with VCDS - I have a VCDS cable and can help you on the weekend)

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 15:16   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Checked oil level for last two days. Drop is very minimal but oil level is about 1/4th of the dip stick only. Does it require a refill at this level.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:23   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So only 2 things remain now - the exhaust and the turbo. I am not sure if the turbo has anything to do with my problems. This because my car accelerates fine and easily touches the 3 figure mark. Can someone please advise if turbo issues can result in low FE and lower power in low gears and rpm?

Also what can a clogged exhaust do? As in can it result in the problems that I am experienceing?
Could the catcon be clogged? I don't think the car came with DPF so it might be a catcon? What do you think?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 15:36   #329
BANNED

Quote:
Checked oil level for last two days. Drop is very minimal but oil level is about 1/4th of the dip stick only. Does it require a refill at this level.
Nope, things seem to be ok, but keep an eye on the oil level for the next month, on a weekly basis.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:25   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Cesc,

Yes, it is essential to do the Throttle body alignment to get the right mix of air and fuel. Basically it is a physical return to home for the Throttle valve to learn its correct position. I have a hunch that this may well solve the problem for you, since you have checked everything else. It will recalibrate the throttle position for correct Air Fuel ratio and response.
(PM me if you need help with VCDS - I have a VCDS cable and can help you on the weekend)

Regards,
Behemoth
Thanks for your offer Behemoth. I am very much inclined to take it up. If my issues are not solved by the weekend then you can most definitely expect a PM from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Could the catcon be clogged? I don't think the car came with DPF so it might be a catcon? What do you think?
Thanks for your suggestion Akshay. No DPF. That's for sure. Catcon hmmmm. Didn't think of that at all. Would you know where would it be located and how can I check that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks