Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 20:15   #346
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Cesc, did you finally get your turbo replaced and which option did you go for?
Haven't got it replaced yet. The mechanic cleaned and installed the same turbo (it hadn't gone kaput - had just sucked in lots of oil) and the car is back to what it was - underpowered and fine acceleration and black smoke etc. I am driving it right now. Got plenty other stuff to do so haven't got my head around the turbo replacement as yet. I am not 100% convinced that it's the turbo (not as much as you ) so I am actually waiting for a good quality turbo to show up (in my mechanic and car dealer circle) so that I can swap it with mine. If the swapped turbo works fine then I will get a new one from outside A**. I have a pain tolerance of 3-4 weeks. If a good one doesn't show up in that much time then I will throw in the money for a new one anyway.
Old 15th May 2012, 21:03   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
That's why an extended warranty plan is essential. It's a good thing that they started the 2+2 warranty so that at least for 4 years we can have peace of mind. After that it will be time to sell the car and move onto something else!
Exactly why I took the 4 year/1 lac km extended warranty on the Superb. So for 4 years I am assured of headache free existence. And if it does not give me any major trouble during those initial 4 years, then a car is worth keeping longer too, like my Corolla/Qualis. Only time can tell whether a Skoda can replicate a Toyota. If however frequent problems occur during the warranty period, its best to sell as soon as it is over. Till now, its driving like a dream, fingers crossed.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:06   #348
BHPian

Hi everyone . I have a 2007 laura PD . During the ecent checkup of the car the mechanic says that "bushes" need replacement , also he says that the radiator fan runs too long and they need to change the complete setup . Can some one enlighten me about these problems . Also strangely I find water seeping to the driver side footwell. What seems to be the problem.
Thanks
red's .
Old 26th June 2012, 17:52   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's
Hi everyone . I have a 2007 laura PD . During the ecent checkup of the car the mechanic says that "bushes" need replacement , also he says that the radiator fan runs too long and they need to change the complete setup . Can some one enlighten me about these problems . Also strangely I find water seeping to the driver side footwell. What seems to be the problem.
Thanks
red's .
Hi reds,
The bushes in the suspension do tend to wear out after around 60-80k kms and may need replacement but it depends on how and where it was driven. If there is insufficient cooling from the fan and it runs much longer than it should, it could be a problem with the fan motor or the radiator choking. Get the radiator flushed and coolant replaced. If this does not solve the problem, have the fan checked.
The water seepage in driver foot well is mostly due to a clogged ac water drain pipe.
Regards
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 21:04   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth
Hi reds,
The bushes in the suspension do tend to wear out after around 60-80k kms and may need replacement but it depends on how and where it was driven. If there is insufficient cooling from the fan and it runs much longer than it should, it could be a problem with the fan motor or the radiator choking. Get the radiator flushed and coolant replaced. If this does not solve the problem, have the fan checked.
The water seepage in driver foot well is mostly due to a clogged ac water drain pipe.
Regards
Behemoth
Thanks a lot . Now how much would these repairs cost on an estimate ? Is there any other problems that i need to checkout for ?
Thanks
reds
Old 28th June 2012, 09:56   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Thanks a lot . Now how much would these repairs cost on an estimate ? Is there any other problems that i need to checkout for ?
Thanks
reds
Hi Red's,

Not really sure about the repair costs - It can vary drastically! Skoda service might quote you 20K for the radiator fan replacement while a local workshop may be able to repair it for less than 2K. I think there is a thread on reliable third party workshops for Skodas and you may want to search for that thread. Only be careful that the parts that are used are genuine Skoda parts (even third party workshops are able to get them from import) and that they have the right equipment in terms of tools and knowledge.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 28th June 2012, 19:08   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
red's .
The Laura has 2 fans behind the radiator. In my case one fan had gone kaput and the other one was running over time to compensate for the other even when the car was switched off after a drive, you can have both of them checked. Guess your car is out of warranty so get a replacement done at FNM you trust. In case you have an L&K model the sun roof has drains that come out next to the door (small rubber inverted L shaped pipes you see when you open the door) check if these are open should help with the dripping issue.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:02   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Now how much would these repairs cost on an estimate ?
If both your fans are gone (as dexter has mentioned there are 2 of them) then they are for 20k (9k+11k) at the dealer. If the dealer tells you both need replacing - get a second opinion from outside.
Old 30th June 2012, 09:28   #354
BHPian

I just fired up the engine today to check up the radiator fan problem . As mentioned by fellow Bhpians i see there are two radiator fans . I see only one of them running . Is it mandatory that both the fans must run ?? . Or has the other fan died out ??.
Old 30th June 2012, 13:30   #355
BHPian

Quote:
I just fired up the engine today to check up the radiator fan problem . As mentioned by fellow Bhpians i see there are two radiator fans . I see only one of them running . Is it mandatory that both the fans must run ?? . Or has the other fan died out ??.
Switch on the car for a while and let it reach upto the normal operating temperature and see if it switches on. If not then its died out.
Old 1st July 2012, 00:25   #356

Re: Laura DSG Drive-shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabeast View Post
Hey guys,
I had some queries reg. my Skoda Laura DSG and started a separate thread. Mods pointed me to this one..

My laura has run 60k kms and has some noise coming from the front (below the engine) on hard acceleration. Also, I hear funny sounds off and on (not predictable). I have had it diagnosed by 4 diff. mechanics and they say it is the drive shaft. Now, I checked at Skoda A.S.S (Gurudev) in Chennai and they say the total cost ~ Rs.125k (105 parts + labor + VAT) and includes 2 year warranty.

I checked with an independent mechanic near my house. He says he can source used 'original' drive shaft and incl. labor fit it for Rs.30k and also give a 1-yr warranty. I am naturally inclined to go with the 2nd option. My question is "Is there anything else in the way of the drive-shaft while removing it" - like the differential/ gearbox etc.? I know the gearbox is right in the middle.. I want to make sure he does not take away parts other than the drive-shaft from my car.. For e.g., Are parts like Mechatronics, etc. removable easily from the car? Also, is the drive-shaft replacement a cause for extra scrutiny? Meaning will something else go bad if the driveshaft is replaced by an independent garage? He says he does about 5-10 replacements a month (across diff. brands, mostly skoda)..

Solicit your views please..!

Thanks
Quick update:

Managed to contact someone in carnation and they got the original part installed in the car and gave me a bill incl. VAT.. Total = Rs.59k (incl. 1k labor). Both L & R drive shafts were replaced.. This was about 2 weeks ago..The old shafts (both) had the differential side boots torn and all the grease was gone..

Car is running fine ever since (no vibrations, etc..).. Funnily though, today, was driving thru some rains and doing abt 20-30 kmph in traffic.. ON the way back home, was doing abt 60-70kmph.. I suddenly get a light on the dashboard saying 'High Speed warning _ _ _ kmph'.. I know I have not been driving fast.. Do you know what the issue could be? Hope when I turn it on tomorrow morning, this sign goes away

Also, for quite some time now, the car has been giving a jolt when it shifts into 2nd gear at low speeds.. For instance, I am in heavy traffic, slowly accelerating and when it shifts into 2nd gear, there is a jolt and feels like someone hit the car from behind.. Same happens during downshift to 2nd gear also in low speed.. Is this a cause for concern?? Once again, it is a DSG AT.. This 2nd gear jolt is taking the driving pleasure away...
Old 1st July 2012, 10:16   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both fans normally need not run all the time and are temperature dependent. At startup when the engine is cold it will not run. When the engine is hot and ac is on high then typically both should run. The the speed also changes according to ambient temperature and coolant temperature.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 11:21   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Laura DSG Drive-shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabeast View Post
Quick update:

ON the way back home, was doing abt 60-70kmph.. I suddenly get a light on the dashboard saying 'High Speed warning _ _ _ kmph'.. I know I have not been driving fast.. Do you know what the issue could be? Hope when I turn it on tomorrow morning, this sign goes away
Check if speed warning alarm has been set in the MID. If it is set for a particular speed, the MID will give a warning if you cross that speed. Deactivate it.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:19   #359
BHPian

Hello folks .
Need to get my laura serviced . Now i am confused as to which dealer i should go for in bangalore . I have heard enough horror stories about both vinayak and tafe . So which one to go for ?. Are there any reliable non company owned service centres .
Please help .

Thanks
Reds .
Old 25th July 2012, 19:02   #360
BHPian

@Behemoth and anybody else following my Laura issues:

I imported a genuine Garrett turbo from Germany. All I was getting here were Chinese turbos for 35-40k. Tried some reputed sellers also but no luck. So I got one from Germany - cost me 50k (inclusive of shipping and customs). Installed it and what? Problem remains as is. Car still smokes and still feels underpowered. I never felt that my turbo was gone but every single mechanic and A** were admanant that the turbo was my problem. So now my car has been sitting in the A** and has had a change of EGR as well as throttle body. Issue remains as is. I will wait a couple more days and if the problem remains unsolved then I am gonna kick the car out. It has wasted way too much of my time already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks