Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 18:47   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
The Castrol Magnatec Professional OE oil used by Skoda ASC's is in fact Fully Synthetic Oil and not semi-synthetic and meets 502 00 and 505 01 standards. Also find enclosed recommended engine oils from Skoda -

Castrol Professional Powerflow SLX meets 504 00 and 507 00 standards and is also available at the ASC's on demand but is a 5W30 grade oil.
The Castrol Magnatec Professional OE oil used by Skoda ASC's may be Fully Synthetic but it is not 505.01 and definitely inferior than 507.00 required by the CRDI range of VW engine.

5W40 is surely a better in Indian condition than the later
Old 18th November 2012, 18:54   #392
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
but it is not 505.01
It clearly mentions VW 505 01 grade on the box as you will note in the photograph mate.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 18:58   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
It clearly mentions VW 505 01 grade on the box as you will note in the photograph mate.
Sorry

I just read the last two specs.

Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 17:40   #394
BHPian

Hi

On the current website it mentions that the requirement for all laura diesel engines is 505/01. Wanted to know whether this information is the latest one or what you have put up is more recent

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/ind/serv...ages/FAQs.aspx

Also what is the opinion on the castrol edge titanium. The specifications mentioned are

5W40:API SN, ACEA A3/B4, VW 502 00/505 00, BMW Longlife-01 ,MB - Approval 229.3 Porsche A40
Old 19th November 2012, 19:43   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
On the current website it mentions that the requirement for all laura diesel engines is 505/01.
Seems like they have changed (read downgraded) engine oil requirement. I took the last screen shot a few months back and the current one is posted below. They have obviously shifted to 5W40 (VW 502 00 / 505 00 / 505 01) which I feel is the perfect oil for Indian heat. The Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W40 Fully Synthetic should do just fine now for both diesel and petrol engines -

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-skoda-recommended-engine-oil.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 19th November 2012 at 19:45.
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:12   #396
BHPian

Hi

Finished 1000 km in about three weeks driving of my dsg and is its been an awesome experience. The pick up of the car is simplay amazing and it just propels itself forward. Over the last few days have become driving in the S mode. Initially one had to be careful since the car would pick even faster at a just a touch of the pedal.

When the car is N and you rev it the rpm needle does not go beyond 2.5 K RPM.

Also in Traffic stop and go situations there seems to a slight whining noise. Is that normal

Decided to change the engine oil. Put the castrol edge 5W 40 which complies with the 505/01 specifications required. Keeping the tire pressure in the city at 32. Initially the rise is a bit stiff but after a week driving it becomes better. Since the tank is 55 litres and given my approx 150/175 km a week driving its will be about 3 weeks between each tank up.

Plans Ahead
Thinking of puttting the caska head unit for about 53 k. Has any put the same on the forum . Is the price worth it since the stock unit itself is quite decent. I already havethe blue tooth speaker and am using the ipod through the aux cable.

In case i decide not to upgrade the above will go in GPS seperately. Which one is better. The Garman or Map my trip.

The advantage of a seperate GPS unit is that it can be used in other cars as well as taken abroad also.
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:40   #397
BHPian

Congrats on the new car. Please enjoy and drive safe. I have fitted the casks head unit on my Laura elegance, all the features of the unit are excellent and there is no major problem. Though the flies in the cream are:

1) Touch sensitivity is bad.
2) The sound quality is half as good as the OE.
3) finding a good place to fit the rear can is a challenge, pls do not put a hole in the rear bumper.

Over all , if u would still like to go ahead, I suggest u could fit my system in ur car and check it for a few weeks, I am not using it. If u like it u can use it.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:27   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi

Thinking of puttting the caska head unit for about 53 k. Has any put the same on the forum . Is the price worth it since the stock unit itself is quite decent. I already havethe blue tooth speaker and am using the ipod through the aux cable.

In case i decide not to upgrade the above will go in GPS seperately. Which one is better. The Garman or Map my trip.

The advantage of a seperate GPS unit is that it can be used in other cars as well as taken abroad also.

I have been using the Caska unit for almost a year now. There has been no problem as such but sometimes it does stall and you need to restart it esp while playing off SD cards. The biggest advantage is however the reverse camera and bluetooth. I have fixed the camera above the license plate and its a boon even when its completely dark outside.

check out the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...bhp-tap-4.html

I have not connected TV/front cam/tpms hence cannot comment on those.
The sound quality is pretty decent when tuned properly, I am using an Infinity Kappa BassLink woofer with the stock speakers as well.
The touch interface is not that intuitive and the display is a bit tacky for my taste.
Regarding the navigation, the MMI maps are pretty decent but somehow I prefer my Garmin device for ease of use.
Old 10th December 2012, 10:26   #399
BHPian

Bhpian's,

I left my Laura Diesel CR for second service. The SA advised the following filters will be changed: Engine Oil, Engine oil filter, Fuel filter, Air filter and AC pollen filter.

Want an advise, is AC pollen filter change needed? my car has only done 20,000 KMS and i drive with 100% AC ON in Bangalore traffic.
Old 10th December 2012, 10:38   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
Bhpian's,

I left my Laura Diesel CR for second service. The SA advised the following filters will be changed: Engine Oil, Engine oil filter, Fuel filter, Air filter and AC pollen filter.

Want an advise, is AC pollen filter change needed? my car has only done 20,000 KMS and i drive with 100% AC ON in Bangalore traffic.
The AC Pollen filter and Air Filter should be changed every 15000kms/1 year. If you have not changed it on 1st service (1 year/15k kms), it is advisable to get it done in Indian conditions. Fuel Filter usually lasts 2 years of 30k kms. Oil and Oil Filter also to be changed yearly/every 15k kms according to Skoda.

However, personally, I would like a oil/oil filter change every 10k kms.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 12:23   #401
Senior - BHPian

Agree with DKaile.
Its better to change oil every 8-10k kms in diesel cars. Though, the manual says every 15k kms, I have always changed oil every 7.5-8k kms.

About the Pollen filter, its better to change it, if not done in the 1st servicing.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 17:41   #402
BHPian

Quick update on second service - 2 years/30,000 KMs - Skoda Laura 2.0 CR TDI:

Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Air filter, AC Pollen Filter replaced.
Had a minor dashboard rattle which only I could hear , rectified.
Some minor bumper touch up done.
Car vacuumed and washed.

Total cost Rs. 6880/-.

For a car which gets serviced once every 15,000 KMs or 12 months, I think the service costs are pretty reasonable. Overall good job by Tafe Access. No complaints.

Cheers
rohitm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 18:34   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
Total cost Rs. 6880/-.

Excellent.
BTW, did they charge for VAG scanning? My blood boils when I see that - this damn thing should be free because it's their problem that their cars can not be serviced/diagnosed without the scan!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 11th December 2012 at 18:35.
Old 11th December 2012, 19:35   #404
BHPian

No they did not charge for the scan. I would be equally outraged.

Cheers!
rohitm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 20:23   #405
BHPian

hi I have the Laura dsg which has done about 2200 km. One of the things i notice that in traffic conditions with constant stop and go there seems to a whining noise when the rpm is between 1500 to 2000 km. Once the car speeds up this disappears

Is this a common trait or needs to be checked with the service center. Also I have changed my air filter to K&N. Would there be any connection between the two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks