Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 20:14   #526
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Guys, I have a query regarding the ORVMs - Are they heated or not? It says so in the manual and my mirror adjustment knob also has an icon that looks like a heater element.
But if I pull the knob into that position, it has no effect. Can anyone comment on this?

(I have an L&K)
Theres apparently a setting which the guys from the workshop can change, or maybe you can from VCDS. The setting makes the mirrors heat only when the ambient temperature is under 20 degrees, or something similar.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 20:17   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Theres apparently a setting which the guys from the workshop can change, or maybe you can from VCDS. The setting makes the mirrors heat only when the ambient temperature is under 20 degrees, or something similar.
Is it not possible to use the heating to defog the mirrors? Can be very useful during the rains.
Old 27th June 2013, 20:18   #528
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, I have a query regarding the ORVMs - Are they heated or not? It says so in the manual and my mirror adjustment knob also has an icon that looks like a heater element.
But if I pull the knob into that position, it has no effect. Can anyone comment on this?

(I have an L&K)
It takes sometime to get heated. You'll have to check by blowing air and then check how long it takes to clear the mirrors and then put the knob in heat position and again repeat. This time it should go away quickly, also you cannot check it by touching the mirrors if they are heated or not.
Old 27th June 2013, 20:21   #529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it not possible to use the heating to defog the mirrors? Can be very useful during the rains.
I agree. Will try messing around with the settings when I borrow a VCDS cable from a friend. I'll update my findings over here.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 10:26   #530
BHPian

Quote:
OK. A couple of questions:
(It seems like I'm asking all the unanswerable questions )

1) I want to change the tail lamps (bulbs) on my Laura - brake lights and indicator lights. Can someone guide me as to what specifications I need to get? Will some LED lights like these work without causing trouble?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/1SET-CAR-BIKE...ht_3082wt_1140
Any help in this matter would be appreciated. I tried two different spare parts shops for the tail light bulbs. The ones I got were significantly dimmer than the original ones and they don't look as good. Please guide me, where can I buy bulbs similar to original quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I agree. Will try messing around with the settings when I borrow a VCDS cable from a friend. I'll update my findings over here.
Could you check this out?
Old 5th July 2013, 11:20   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any help in this matter would be appreciated. I tried two different spare parts shops for the tail light bulbs. The ones I got were significantly dimmer than the original ones and they don't look as good. Please guide me, where can I buy bulbs similar to original quality?
Could you check this out?
Contact the vagtune.in guy, Sugesh Chandran. I am sure he can help you out. All led's need to be CANBUS error free for the laura else it will give errors in the instrument cluster. There are other measures to make it error free like using resistors etc but these are cumbersome and you risk damaging the BCM. So, better to get the pricier error free LED's.

PM for contact details in case you are not able to get any response.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 09:29   #532
BHPian

Hi All,

Thank you for all of your valuable inputs to this thread for so long. I have been following this very closely for some time now.

I have a 2006 Laura L&K PD which has run approximately 94000 kms. Recently I noticed the clutch becoming hard and went for a clutch change with an independent garage. Upon inspection, the culprit was found to be the pressure plate. They have changed the clutch set (minus flywheel as they found it to be completely OK) and the clutch is back to normal again.

One day after taking the car back and driving around, I notice excessive vibrations during idling and slightly lesser vibrations during acceleration. I also noticed that the acceleration has reduced compared to earlier. Once I got home, I opened to see that the whole engine is heavily vibrating during idle. I immediately called up the garage who promptly sent people to my place to check it. (It was 10 P.M. already and they were almost 20km away)

They checked all the connections, battery etc. and found all of them to be OK. Then they told me that the car was parked with the bonnet open for almost 3 days, during which there were some heavy showers and suspected it might have effected the ECM Upon further inspection, it was found that one of the pipes from the EGR to air filter (vacuum?) was probably the culprit. If you disconnect it and close the pipe with your finger, the engine settles down to its normal clatter and no vibration. Else, the engine starts vibrating and also misfires. They have adjusted it and asked me to wait till the morning to see if it returns back to normal.

It has not returned back to normal and I am having them take the car back to the garage today. What do you think the possible culprit is?
Old 8th August 2013, 00:04   #533
BHPian

Skoda Laura Stock DRL Replacement + VCDS Mods

Hi All,
Now that my car's done the 2 yrs of warranty, am keen to get a few minor modifications. So was at Autozone Gurgaon, getting my stock "peep-peep" horns replaced with a Roots Windtone.

While there, an interesting thing that I saw available at the accessory store was an LED equivalent of a PY21W bulb. PY21W is the bulb used as DRL in OEM. The interesting bit is that the bulb has a lens in front (as a part of the whole PY21W LED unit). I looked it up in Google and came across eBay selling it too (link for the same LED bulb with amber color output is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canbus-Error...-/280709475309.

Am quite excited with the LED option as a DRL bulb replacement. Would appreciate thoughts and comments on viability of using such an LED replacement for the DRL bulb. The light seems nice and bright for this LED bulb. However, apprehensive about couple of things:

(a) Do these bulbs throw a "blown bulb" warning indicator on the instrument cluster? Also, given how a Canbus works, will a higher wattage LED replacement (as against standard wattage of stock bulb) allow for elimination of bulb warning?

(b) Given that the wattage rating is slightly higher, is there a chance that the DRL lighting case can get over-heated?

(c) Has anyone had any experience with using these LEDs as DRL replacements? If yes, any suggestions on the make/dealer would be great.

Also - is there anyone in the Gurgaon circuit with a Vag/VCDS and willing to help me with a few mods like enabling the cornering lights and coming-home lights?

Appreciate all your thoughts.

Warm Regards,
Sanju
Old 8th August 2013, 21:43   #534
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura Stock DRL Replacement + VCDS Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjuInGgn View Post

So was at Autozone Gurgaon, getting my stock "peep-peep" horns replaced with a Roots Windtone.
Sorry for going OT, but how did they replace the horn, did they cut the wire coming from the car, or did they have the correct connectors that are used to connect to the socket that comes from the car.

As i remember roots windtone does not have the skoda connector, it comes with the two terminals which are to be connected to the cars cable.
Old 9th August 2013, 00:09   #535
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura Stock DRL Replacement + VCDS Mods

You're correct, Jinu_Joseph, Roots Windtone does not come with the Skoda Connectors. They had to cut the wires and use the standard connectors that Roots supplies. This was the reason why I had been waiting for the warranty to get over. The other option is ofcourse to get it done at the authorized service, though I could not convince myself to shell out 6K for something which is almost identical. Hope that helps.

Rgds,
Sanju
Old 11th August 2013, 17:45   #536
BHPian

Hi Laura Owners. I recently bought a used Laura L&K DSG at Chennai with 72 Kms on the odo. I drive to Coimbatore once a week or every ten days. Within a day of buying it on my first trip to Coimbatore the AC conked and Millenium Motors said the problem was the cooling coil and I had it replaced. Now on my next trip I heard a noise and had it taken to millenium motors again. They tell me the radiator is leaking and needs replacement. The quote is 9 K plus Coolant and Labour. I took it to another mechanic who says since the radiator is aluminum I can have it repaired. However, I am not sure of his capabilities. Is there any other mechanic in Coimbatore capable of servicing a laura. Looking forward to any help

Sathya
Old 11th August 2013, 22:21   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
Hi All,

Thank you for all of your valuable inputs to this thread for so long. I have been following this very closely for some time now.

I have a 2006 Laura L&K PD which has run approximately 94000 kms. Recently I noticed the clutch becoming hard and went for a clutch change with an independent garage. Upon inspection, the culprit was found to be the pressure plate. They have changed the clutch set (minus flywheel as they found it to be completely OK) and the clutch is back to normal again.

One day after taking the car back and driving around, I notice excessive vibrations during idling and slightly lesser vibrations during acceleration. I also noticed that the acceleration has reduced compared to earlier. Once I got home, I opened to see that the whole engine is heavily vibrating during idle. I immediately called up the garage who promptly sent people to my place to check it. (It was 10 P.M. already and they were almost 20km away)

They checked all the connections, battery etc. and found all of them to be OK. Then they told me that the car was parked with the bonnet open for almost 3 days, during which there were some heavy showers and suspected it might have effected the ECM Upon further inspection, it was found that one of the pipes from the EGR to air filter (vacuum?) was probably the culprit. If you disconnect it and close the pipe with your finger, the engine settles down to its normal clatter and no vibration. Else, the engine starts vibrating and also misfires. They have adjusted it and asked me to wait till the morning to see if it returns back to normal.

It has not returned back to normal and I am having them take the car back to the garage today. What do you think the possible culprit is?
Get the diagnostic scan done first. It is very helpful when it comes to the engine related problems. If the garage doesn't have the equipment, get it done at the A.S.S or find another garage that has the equipment.
Old 11th August 2013, 22:27   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
Hi Laura Owners. I recently bought a used Laura L&K DSG at Chennai with 72 Kms on the odo. I drive to Coimbatore once a week or every ten days. Within a day of buying it on my first trip to Coimbatore the AC conked and Millenium Motors said the problem was the cooling coil and I had it replaced. Now on my next trip I heard a noise and had it taken to millenium motors again. They tell me the radiator is leaking and needs replacement. The quote is 9 K plus Coolant and Labour. I took it to another mechanic who says since the radiator is aluminum I can have it repaired. However, I am not sure of his capabilities. Is there any other mechanic in Coimbatore capable of servicing a laura. Looking forward to any help

Sathya
9K is an OK price to get it done through A.S.S. If the outside garage is getting you OEM part at the lesser price, then it is OK but I wouldnt get it repaired for two reasons: the savings are not significant and the repair job may not be effective. For all you know the radiator is corroded/ready-to-leak at multiple points and you plug one point and another location might start leaking in few days.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 12:51   #539
BHPian

Dear Androdev - Thanks for the quick response. Millenium Motors is giving me a wait time of 10 days.

Sathya
Old 12th August 2013, 13:45   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
They tell me the radiator is leaking and needs replacement. The quote is 9 K plus Coolant and Labour. I took it to another mechanic who says since the radiator is aluminum I can have it repaired. However, I am not sure of his capabilities. Is there any other mechanic in Coimbatore capable of servicing a laura. Looking forward to any help

Sathya
9k for a new radiator + coolant and labor seems OK as Androdev said. The radiator in my Hyundai Tucson was replaced when it developed leaks at a couple of spots and it costed around Rs.14000 (including coolant and labor). You can look here for the damaged radiator:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2257924

How does your radiator look? If you can post a picture?

BTW, when I was getting my Laura serviced, I casually asked for the spare prices and the SA said the radiator is cheaper but the condenser (the one right behind the radiator) is Rs. 27000!!! Can you check that as well so we will know if they are being honest or not.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 12th August 2013 at 13:48.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks