Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2018, 10:39   #1186
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
So, after 2 years of owning a pre-owned 2010 Laura TSI I’m completely at my wits’ end with one particular recurring problem (out of the many that I’ve struggled with and managed to mostly fix). Last year in July the car developed a loud squealing accompanied by a slight struggle in picking up. This initially would happen when the AC was running and I tried to pick up from a low speed in 2nd or higher gear, but eventually this started happening even while picking up in 1st gear. One day while starting from a red light and gunning the engine a bit, there was loud sound and the AC stopped cooling. Obviously the Compressor pulley was gone. Got the compressor replaces as it was found to be jamming. The squeal was gone too. Then within a week the squealing started again. Took it to the A.S.S. and it was diagnosed as a worn out serpentine belt, which was promptly replaced. The sound went away… and in 5 days was back. And so was I at the A.S.S., who this time informed me that it seems the belt tensioner was also gone and needed replacement. This was done, and yes within a week the problem was back! This time, after a lot of persuasion from me to check other aligned parts like pumps and pulleys, it was finally diagnosed as a jamming Alternator pulley. It took a few days for the part to be sourced and then replaced. Thankfully this fixed the problem for good.
Or so I thought.. Now after exactly 10 months the squealing and initial engine under load struggle is back! I’m at a complete loss to understand what this could be , and what to do?? If I take it back to the A.S.S. the same vicious circle of hit and trial diagnoses may start again, at my cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am facing a close to similar issue in my 2009 Tsi. With the AC on after driving for some time, say about 10 mins, there is an audible whine coming from the engine bay which increases quite a bit with acceleration. There is no issues with pickup and the sound goes away as soon as you switch off the AC. What could it be ?? I dont think the belts have ever been changed. Could that be the reason.

Guys, why don't you just replace all the belts and pulleys? Both cars are old enough to warrant this. If you replace one part at a time, then obviously you will have to visit the service center multiple times. What's the point?
Old 14th June 2018, 13:36   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Guys, why don't you just replace all the belts and pulleys? Both cars are old enough to warrant this. If you replace one part at a time, then obviously you will have to visit the service center multiple times. What's the point?
Yes I have ordered for the drive belt and the drive belt tensioner idler from SparesnCare.
Old 1st July 2018, 18:14   #1188
Senior - BHPian

My wife gifted me a Osram HID kit after witnessing first hand the dismal low beams in the Laura herself.
Since I didn't want to risk the complex electricals ouselves, Bhpian Adneo and myself went to an accessories showroom to get it fixed. They opened the headlights and said it a not possible since the clamp is different.
We went back home, a little disappointed however didnt lose hope. Adneo was pretty confident as well that we can do it ourselves. We opened the headlight assemblies and took it home. And after a little brainstorming fixed the bulbs without slicing a single wire. Fixed the headlights and the ballasts. A bulb out error pops up and no light.
I had to go out in the evening and managed with just the fogs and high beam.
Did some R&D on the internet in the morning, and thought of trying by swapping the polarities of the bulbs before going the VCDS way. Voila they light up and the error is gone. Now I am a happy man
HIDs are a definite way to go to get over the lousy low beams of the Laura
Old 7th July 2018, 19:24   #1189
Distinguished - BHPian

What is this oil leakage please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
To be honest, most of the cases of timing chain tensioner failures happens without any warning, as you would have read in the briskoda thread discussing the same. In India, the failure rates are not known or minimal simply cause of the lesser number of TSIs sold here.
Avinash and other fellow TSI owners, I would appreciate if you can help me diagnose this:

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20180324_090746254_hdr.jpg

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20180324_090904109.jpg

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20180324_090819773_hdr.jpg

Seems like oil leak. It's been there for a while (more than a year or 2) and is not increasing. As you probably already know, this car is from the very first batch of 1.8 TSI Lauras (CKD: August 2009, Purchased: Feb 2010). She has now done 57000km and as such is running fine with no loss of acceleration or top end, and no signs of trouble. Oil consumption is also almost same as it has always been, I don't think it has increased. However, it will be good to know what is this leak and what needs to be done.

Thanks in advance!
Old 7th July 2018, 21:54   #1190
BHPian

Re: What is this oil leakage please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Seems like oil leak. It's been there for a while (more than a year or 2) and is not increasing.
Probably a leaking Intake manifold gasket. BHPian Altocumulus and I had similar issues in our Laura TSIs. The gasket was tightened during regular service at Vinayak Skoda (B'lore) at no additional cost and the issue hasn't returned ever since.

Would recommend getting it checked.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 11:36   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What is this oil leakage please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Probably a leaking Intake manifold gasket. BHPian Altocumulus and I had similar issues in our Laura TSIs. The gasket was tightened during regular service at Vinayak Skoda (B'lore) at no additional cost and the issue hasn't returned ever since.

Would recommend getting it checked.
Ok, will get this done. Thanks a lot.
Old 8th July 2018, 19:23   #1192
BHPian

Hi Santosh, Raihan,
Apologies for summoning you here for advice on two very old posts. I have the exact same issues in my Laura. Do you recall what fixed these issues? (I tried searching this thread, but could not find any solution posts for these).

For Issue#1, the probable areas to look at are the Fuel cap, Charcoal canister, N80 and N115 sensors. I'll run a VCDS test on the sensors to see if they return any faults. Here's a related thread from Briskoda.

Issue#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
[i]1 Fault Found:
001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys
P0441 - 000 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent

There is no check engine light on the dash as of now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
The technician @ vinayak said it's not an issue & cleared the fault during the 20K service.
Issue#2

Quote:
Off late I am getting a low whining sound that is in sync with engine rpm at low 1st gear and 2nd gear speeds in my 4 year old and 70,000 km run Laura TSI. The sound is present ONLY when AC is on. At higher speeds (3rd gear and above) the sound disappears. Its only in crawling traffic that the sound makes its presence felt. One more observation is that the sound is not heard immediately on switching on the AC. It comes up only after a while and sometimes the sound is just not there.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 8th July 2018 at 19:29. Reason: Quoted Raihan as well
Old 10th July 2018, 09:48   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Hi Santosh, Raihan,
Apologies for summoning you here for advice on two very old posts. I have the exact same issues in my Laura. Do you recall what fixed these issues? (I tried searching this thread, but could not find any solution posts for these).
As Raihan mentioned, issue 1 never caused any problems and the error code was cleared during service. As far as I know his car has been performing flawlessly ever since!

As far as the whining noise in my car was concerned, it was traced to the serpentine belt. They removed the belt, inspected it, lubricated it and refitted it. They said the belt is absolutely fine and there was no need to replace. The noise did subside after that.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 18:59   #1194
BHPian

Thanks Santosh for the response!

Quote:
As Raihan mentioned, issue 1 never caused any problems and the error code was cleared during service. As far as I know his car has been performing flawlessly ever since!
In my case, the error is coming back after clearing DTCs. Paid a visit to Vinayak today. After scanning though ODIS, they said that I need to change the Charcoal canister and the EVAP Purge valve (N80) to get rid of this error. Will compare the OEM costs and decide if I should have them replace it.

Quote:
As far as the whining noise in my car was concerned, it was traced to the serpentine belt. They removed the belt, inspected it, lubricated it and refitted it. They said the belt is absolutely fine and there was no need to replace. The noise did subside after that.
I'll probably have it done while I get the above components replaced.
Old 4th August 2018, 12:52   #1195
BHPian

New owner of a 2009 Laura TSI here.
The car is in limp mode with cut offs if throttle is pressed hard and doesn't go beyond 4k rpm.
Scan revealed fault as fuel pressure regulator and sometimes also showed MAP sensor.
@raihan had similar issue here i guess.
Any insights?
Old 4th August 2018, 21:22   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay324 View Post
New owner of a 2009 Laura TSI here.
The car is in limp mode with cut offs if throttle is pressed hard and doesn't go beyond 4k rpm.
Scan revealed fault as fuel pressure regulator and sometimes also showed MAP sensor.
@raihan had similar issue here i guess.
Any insights?
Welcome to the club, I didn't have this problem. I had a problem where the car was stuck in 3rd gear & few springs/locks in the shifter had to be replaced.(never had this in any car we owned)
I did limp home some 150kms in 3rd gear just don't ask we how I managed
Did you show it to the ASC? what did they say? Or you scanned it yourself?
Old 4th August 2018, 21:31   #1197
BHPian

Okay. I guess I misread the thread.
No I haven't shown it to ASC. It's at my trusted workshop.
Today's progress: fixed some wiring that was damaged by rats. Had just got the delivery so didn't know about it. Now no error.
But clutch is totally gone. Slipping. I had suspected that it would be short lived but didn't expect it to go this early and suddenly.
Will get a quote on clutch on Monday.
Based on experiences of other cars not keen on going to ASC.
Old 6th August 2018, 12:36   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Okay. I guess I misread the thread.
No I haven't shown it to ASC. It's at my trusted workshop.
Today's progress: fixed some wiring that was damaged by rats. Had just got the delivery so didn't know about it. Now no error.
But clutch is totally gone. Slipping. I had suspected that it would be short lived but didn't expect it to go this early and suddenly.
Will get a quote on clutch on Monday.
Based on experiences of other cars not keen on going to ASC.
How come you bought a car with so many issues? just curious, no offense
Old 7th August 2018, 00:14   #1199
BHPian

None taken. There were no issues when I checked the car. Rats thing happened in the time between deal and delivery. And i had deducted the price of clutch plate from the price, I just was thinking it would last a bit more.
2.2L for a genuine 55k run car.
Old 7th August 2018, 08:47   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
None taken. There were no issues when I checked the car. Rats thing happened in the time between deal and delivery. And i had deducted the price of clutch plate from the price, I just was thinking it would last a bit more.
2.2L for a genuine 55k run car.
Since you've got it for so less already I say take her to the ASC & give her the treatment she deserves! (carry out all necessary & preventive maintenance) She will definitely put a smile on your face.
raihan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks