Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 10:59   #1036
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Did anyone else receive Skoda's emission related notice? I received the below today from Skoda.

"ŠKODA Auto India has begun the service action of our Laura*model*with the EA189 diesel engines.

The solution which is part of the EA 189 service campaign is now available. As a first step, please book an appointment at a time of your convenience by calling...

We would like to reiterate that the current issue does not affect the safety or drivability of your vehicle. ŠKODA Auto India will conduct this update at no additional cost to the customers.

Thank you for your confidence and loyalty to the ŠKODA brand."
Old 17th March 2017, 11:31   #1037
BHPian

I did not get any email and I checked the self service website also, it says "your car is not affected, please enjoy your Skoda"
Old 17th March 2017, 12:17   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
I did not get any email and I checked the self service website also, it says "your car is not affected, please enjoy your Skoda"
Even my VIN responds the same on the self service website still i got the email
Old 18th March 2017, 10:28   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
I read about it, I think only 2.0 TDI engines (EA189) are affected, mine is the old 1.9 PD engine so maybe that's why not in the list.
Old 20th March 2017, 18:55   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
@ Zubin21, Do you have a link for checking a VIN, if yes please pass it on.
Old 7th May 2017, 07:05   #1041
BHPian

Hi,

Couldn't find a Superb specific thread, so posting here. The fuel gauge on my 2012 Skoda Superb indicates an emply tank inspite of the tank having sufficient fuel. At times, it functions normally and the needle falls to empty all of a sudden. Restarting the engine sometimes does the job, but the fuel gauge doesn't stay for long. I haven't taken it yet to the service centre, spoke to my skoda technician over the phone, he indicated that a replacement would cost around ₹20,000. Any inputs would be of great help.

Thanks,

Last edited by csr9 : 7th May 2017 at 07:12.
Old 7th May 2017, 10:46   #1042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hi,

Couldn't find a Superb specific thread, so posting here. The fuel gauge on my 2012 Skoda Superb indicates an emply tank inspite of the tank having sufficient fuel. At times, it functions normally and the needle falls to empty all of a sudden. Restarting the engine sometimes does the job, but the fuel gauge doesn't stay for long. I haven't taken it yet to the service centre, spoke to my skoda technician over the phone, he indicated that a replacement would cost around ₹20,000. Any inputs would be of great help.

Thanks,
This sounds like a faulty ground sender connection to me. Especially when you say, it functions fine when you restart the engine. Don't replace the fuel pump right away. Get the system diagnosed from a good FNG; authorised service centres would suggest a replacement right away!

One sure shot way to check this is to remove the fuel pump unit from the tank, find that brown coloured wire from the group which is the ground connection. Remove that pin from the connector and insert a wire with the same pin into the connector, with the other end to the body of the car. Turn on the car and check if the fuel gauge is working. If it does, the stock ground cable is faulty somewhere in the line.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 11:12   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This sounds like a faulty ground sender connection to me. Especially when you say, it functions fine when you restart the engine. Don't replace the fuel pump right away..
Thanks a lot. Will check the ground connection and update. Just a quick question, would a faulty unit completely stop working or show the fuel level intermittently as in my case? Is the fuel level sensor an integral part of the fuel pump?

Last edited by csr9 : 7th May 2017 at 11:16.
Old 7th May 2017, 12:02   #1044
BHPian

A vcds scan will trigger a faulty part detection including sensor . Do a vcds scan and report
Old 9th May 2017, 13:34   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
A vcds scan will trigger a faulty part detection including sensor . Do a vcds scan and report
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This sounds like a faulty ground sender connection to me. Especially when you say, it functions fine when you restart the engine. .....

This happened moments after I started the vehicle. At times, the indicator doesn't work when the ignition is turned on. Most of the times, the indicator works after the ignition is turned on and falls to empty a few moments later.

Did a VCDS scan. Here is the report below.

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels: 5K0-920-xxx-17.clb
Part No SW: 3T2 920 841 K HW: 3T2 920 841 K
Component: KOMBI H05 0607
Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 110F01
Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00999
ASAM Dataset: EV_Kombi_UDS_VDD_RM09 A04114
ROD: EV_Kombi_UDS_VDD_RM09_SK46.rod
VCID: 3C70F8BBB76F46A2A0-8068

2 Faults Found:
9460251 - Covering for fuel level indicator sensor 2
B105A 1B [008] - Resistance Too High
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 3
Reset counter: 82
Mileage: 57344 km
Date: 2017.05.02
Time: 19:39:15

9460250 - Covering for fuel level indicator sensor 2
B105A 1A [009] - Resistance Too Low
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 117
Reset counter: 49
Mileage: 57713 km
Date: 2017.05.06
Time: 08:18:30

Please share your thoughts on the issue.
Old 17th May 2017, 20:08   #1046
BHPian

I have shortlisted two cars, Laura and Superb, both of 2010 vintage, 45K done and 1.8 tsi manual. Please suggest which one is better choice, in terms of performance and reliability.
Old 17th May 2017, 22:04   #1047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
I have shortlisted two cars, Laura and Superb, both of 2010 vintage, 45K done and 1.8 tsi manual. Please suggest which one is better choice, in terms of performance and reliability.
1.8 TSi is a driver's delight. And manual transmission ones have been super reliable. Mine is Feb 2010 vintage Laura 1.8 TSi MT, no part failures/breakdowns whatsoever in 7 years. Superb will be much more luxurious and specious than Laura. Pick whichever you like
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 09:22   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
1.8 TSi is a driver's delight. And manual transmission ones have been super reliable. Mine is Feb 2010 vintage Laura 1.8 TSi MT, no part failures/breakdowns whatsoever in 7 years. Superb will be much more luxurious and specious than Laura. Pick whichever you like
Thank you. What is the RON of the fuel you have been using?

From skimming randomly through this thread, following are the main issues reported from a ~50K run 2010 to 2012 vintage Skoda Laura/Superb 1.8 TSi MT. Fuel pump, Water pump, Flywheel (??) and possibly Clutch work. If all the above go bad in the car that I buy, the spend could be around 1.2L.

Is this correct? Did I miss any major issues?
I am trying to budget for failures that could happen in the next 2-3 years.
Old 18th May 2017, 13:13   #1049
BHPian

General problems with 1.8 TSI (EA888 Gen 2) - Things to look out for

Quote:
Thank you. What is the RON of the fuel you have been using?
1.8TSI runs fine on RON91. Earlier BS3 fuel (although RON91), which had higher sulphur content was not particularly liked by the engine, but now with the whole country gone BS4, there shouldn't be any worries. Of course, anything above RON95, i.e only Speed 97 and HPCL Power 99 for us, will improve efficiency, performance and engine refinement marginally. But for regular use RON91 is sufficient.

Quote:
From skimming randomly through this thread, following are the main issues reported from a ~50K run 2010 to 2012 vintage Skoda Laura/Superb 1.8 TSi MT. Fuel pump, Water pump, Flywheel (??) and possibly Clutch work. If all the above go bad in the car that I buy, the spend could be around 1.2L.

Is this correct? Did I miss any major issues?
Clutch/flywheel of the 1.8TSI inherently don't have any problems and would be completely dependent only on the driving habits / conditions of the previous owner. Fuel pumps, whether the low or high pressure one aren't a particular point of failure either. You are right about water pumps. Known issues with the EA888 gen2 1.8TSI engines are the water pump, timing chain tensioner, PCV system, purge valve. Of this critical failure component is only the timing chain tensioner. Others dont wreck havoc even if they fail.

Water pump replacement in a 1.8TSI is not an easy process at all (unlike the 2.0TDI) and the details of it I have shared earlier. So you can have them inspected and if working properly, don't bother replacing or upgrading it to the latest revision. There are enough sensors in the cooling system that will indicate and save you if you have leaks. Same goes with PCV and purge valve setups. PCV issues can cause anything from small intermittent errors recorded to increased engine oil consumption, and at the very extreme bad scenario crank rear-end seal to leak. So have the PCV system checked. Purge valves produce louder ticking sound when they are failing and at the worst can cause only some errors in the system, nothing major.

Timing chain tensioners are however quite critical. It is a known issue with 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI of the EA888 series and more so with their earlier iterations (in your case 2010, I would be careful). It is a relatively cheap part, but failure will wreck the engine. VW had multiple revisions of this timing chain tensioner (at least 4) and chain, the last being somewhere around in 2014. I had my car show signs of tensioner failing, caught it early and had them replaced. If you are getting the car, it is worthwhile to upgrade to the latest revisions of the parts (timing chain tensioner and timing chain) for peace of mind. My repairs were supported under goodwill from Skoda, though the car was post extended warranty period .

Another thing to remember about the 1.8TSI is its relatively high oil consumption. There isn't any 'cure' for it. You have to judiciously monitor engine oil levels (it does have an oil level sensor, but will come up only when oil levels drop by around 750ml from the maximum), and top up as required. If the car is in coastal climate and with less usage, ABS wheel speed sensors are also prone to failure from corrosion. They aren't particularly expensive as Skoda was running 70% discount when bought as a set of four. Seems like a lot, but the engine and the car is quite a combo. I have driven our 1.8TSI over 7000KM cross-country drives and it was a blast . I must add that the Laura has lesser electronics and control modules compared to the Superb, so you could say that the electricals /electronics on the Laura are more robust.

Between Laura and Superb, it is your choice. Laura is the better drivers' car. Superb is also quite good and better than its peers from the segment of the time, but the long wheelbase plays spoilsport. Otherwise it is a much more practical, comfortable, premium and overall better rounded car.

Last edited by avinash_clt : 18th May 2017 at 13:18. Reason: Edited title
avinash_clt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 11:10   #1050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see Avinash has answered all your queries and at great length. He is way more knowledgeable than me. The tensioner failures - I have read on briskoda and I am keeping a watch. Fortunately, my car has not faced any issue and everytime I asked the service guys they tell me they have never worked on a 1.8 TSi with failed tensioner! But we all know how horrible Skoda service is so their words don't mean much. I have taken the Laura on many 5000+ trips cross country. Every time the drive has been magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Of this critical failure component is only the timing chain tensioner.

Timing chain tensioners are however quite critical. It is a known issue with 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI of the EA888 series and more so with their earlier iterations (in your case 2010, I would be careful). It is a relatively cheap part, but failure will wreck the engine. VW had multiple revisions of this timing chain tensioner (at least 4) and chain, the last being somewhere around in 2014. I had my car show signs of tensioner failing, caught it early and had them replaced. If you are getting the car, it is worthwhile to upgrade to the latest revisions of the parts (timing chain tensioner and timing chain) for peace of mind. My repairs were supported under goodwill from Skoda, though the car was post extended warranty period .
WHat are the signs that indicate belt tensioner is going to fail? Mine has done 50000km and 7.5 years old. I will like to keep a close watch on any symptoms you will suggest. The service center is useless. Their attitude is "if it hasn't failed, why are you asking" types!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks