Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 10:45   #886
BHPian

After 3 years I found a new feature in my Laura
While playing a CD if you take the volume dial to 0 the CD pauses. It starts playing as soon as you increase the volume.
v_2rahjo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 13:14   #887
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Got my 60K service done from AutoBahn Kurla. Gearoil, gear filters, suspension link rod, all filters (oil, fuel, pollen), engine oil, suspension re-torquing, battery tray (i have no idea why but he said it was broken), and wipers changed. Total damage was 30K. Although i believe its a little expensive but still felt its not over the top as i had gathered lot of references from here to quote them. Engine is smoother with gear changes now noticeably smoother. So all in all i am satisfied with them.

But still there are dak dak noise from the suspension, so what could be the problem, should i just get all the bushes changed or its time for the struts / dampers for a replacement? I am keeping the car for another 3 years so i want things sorted earlier. Contacted AVS tuning for suspension they quoted 40k for all dampers. Should i go to them or get to the ASS first?
Secondly i need to replace the "swing" CD unit to Bolero, from what i gathered online, there is no direct rcd510 fit as the frame needs to be changed. There are lot of cheap systems on aliexpress but i guess they wont fit directly. Mine is a beige one with mahagony trim so its difficult to get a replacement panel for the same. So do i have any option for this or i need to get only the original one?

Below seems a pretty cheap system but i guess it wont fit...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCD51...rchweb201560_8
Old 4th January 2016, 21:37   #888
BHPian

I am facing rattling noise in my Laura, the noise is coming from right side. The noise is coming in high speeds (above 60 in 4th and 5th gear).

Mechanic suggested me to check the hinges and door alignment. Let me if anyone faced the issue and if there is any resolution
Old 5th January 2016, 12:07   #889
BHPian

This is regarding my 2012 Laura TDI. done about 22 k. So for the last few weeks during hard acceleration in first gear the cabin smells of diesel. It only happens during 1st gear acceleration. Something to worry? Otherwise if I drive normally with good acceleration everything smells normally. The exhaust also smells more of fuel these days. Or maybe I did not notice it previously. The car was last served in Nov'15
Old 5th January 2016, 12:22   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
This is regarding my 2012 Laura TDI. done about 22 k. So for the last few weeks during hard acceleration in first gear the cabin smells of diesel. It only happens during 1st gear acceleration. Something to worry? Otherwise if I drive normally with good acceleration everything smells normally. The exhaust also smells more of fuel these days. Or maybe I did not notice it previously. The car was last served in Nov'15
Hi v_2rahjo,
Do you get the smell inside the cabin even with AC on the internal circulation mode and (naturally) the windows rolled-up?

If this is an exhaust leak, it is a matter to worry because carbon monoxide (CO) inside the cabin. The effects are CO exposure do not fade away immediately as soon as you get to breath fresh air. So, till the problem is diagnosed, keep your windows little open to allow fresh air circulation.

Inspect if there are any exhaust leaks inside the engine bay or under the body.

A DIY for this is to pull the vacuum line for intake and put little amount of lub oil / transmission oil into it. The engine will smoke a lot for few seconds and the leak can be easily ween with thick smoke.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 5th January 2016 at 12:23.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:33   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunt View Post
Skoda Laura TDI DSG March 2012: Coolant leak related issues

Hi, I could really use some advice from you folks! I have diesel Laura as mentioned above. It has done 30K kms and has had all 3 services done on time. This August I had the "coolant low" alert come on. Further investigation at Vinayak skoda KR puram revealed that there was a manufacturing defect in the coolant pump and the pump was replaced. The hot coolant also dripped on the timing belt and that was also replaced. Coolant was topped up as well.
This morning I got the "coolant low" alert again. Checked the coolant tank and it was almost empty. Filled in 1.5 liters of water and called the service advisor. He advised that I run the car till I get the next warning as he believes that it could be normal consumption as well and not a leak. I find that hard to believe. Any guidance or similar issues faced by anyone? Any thought's advice will help.
Hi tarunt,
Was your issue with low coolant warning resolved? What was causing it?

Besides the leakages in the hoses or radiator, the car consumes coolant if the head gasket has gone kaput.
Old 5th January 2016, 14:39   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi v_2rahjo,
Do you get the smell inside the cabin even with AC on the internal circulation mode and (naturally) the windows rolled-up?

If this is an exhaust leak, it is a matter to worry because carbon monoxide (CO) inside the cabin. The effects are CO exposure do not fade away immediately as soon as you get to breath fresh air. So, till the problem is diagnosed, keep your windows little open to allow fresh air circulation.

Inspect if there are any exhaust leaks inside the engine bay or under the body.

A DIY for this is to pull the vacuum line for intake and put little amount of lub oil / transmission oil into it. The engine will smoke a lot for few seconds and the leak can be easily ween with thick smoke.
my apologies, I should have been more specific. The diesel smell comes even when A/C is not in use and Windows rolled up.
I don't think it is an exhaust leak because the exhaust note has not changed and sounds smooth. But I will check as well.
Could this be the turbo burning oil or something else?
My fear is what if the turbo is burning oil/diesel.
But again the smell is only there under hard acceleration i.e - 1st gear taken to 3500-4000 RPM or so
Old 5th January 2016, 15:52   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
my apologies, I should have been more specific. The diesel smell comes even when A/C is not in use and Windows rolled up.
I don't think it is an exhaust leak because the exhaust note has not changed and sounds smooth. But I will check as well.
Could this be the turbo burning oil or something else?
My fear is what if the turbo is burning oil/diesel.
But again the smell is only there under hard acceleration i.e - 1st gear taken to 3500-4000 RPM or so
If you doubt that the turbo may be leaking oil, get the turbo inspected asap. Do you see drop in the dipstick oil level?

Also get the engine bay inspected for fuel seep / leak.
Old 5th January 2016, 18:25   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
If you doubt that the turbo may be leaking oil, get the turbo inspected asap. Do you see drop in the dipstick oil level?

Also get the engine bay inspected for fuel seep / leak.
Well, Turbo was just my doubt considering all the Skoda stories
So I tested it again today for 30 mins. And you know what. No smell in the cabin. I could not believe that the car healed itself. Will keep testing and report if I find the same. I don't want to take it to Skoda and have them open things and not able to put it back together. And that too without finding the culprit. So I will wait and watch

By the way-
Checked engine bay - no oil
My car was parked for 4-5 days and it did not drop oil. So all safe there

Thank you for your help!!
Old 12th January 2016, 15:33   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjuInGgn View Post
Hi All,
Am curious to understand if there is any adverse impact of running with the "Bulb Out Error" for a long period - without doing anything about it. Trying to explore the possibility of replacing the normal PY21W bulbs of the DRL to the LED versions. Using them without the load resistors will cause the bulb out error. Wondering if leaving it as-is will have any adverse impact on the canbus or other control systems. Not keen on the load resistors due to unwanted heat generation - and hence unwanted load on canbus system.

Appreciate your thoughts pls.
you could use this -
Link
Old 14th January 2016, 17:36   #896
BHPian

As posted earlier, my suspension is not in a top shape and there is noise plus its hard. The Autobahn gave me the following estimate for the overhauling changing almost all major suspension components. Now can someone tell me if this is reasonable or if there is someone else in Mumbai (Independent Garage) who could do all this at a more reasonable rate?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-laura-suspension-estimate.jpg  

Old 14th January 2016, 20:33   #897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
As posted earlier, my suspension is not in a top shape and there is noise plus its hard. The Autobahn gave me the following estimate for the overhauling changing almost all major suspension components. Now can someone tell me if this is reasonable or if there is someone else in Mumbai (Independent Garage) who could do all this at a more reasonable rate?

Did you get this quote from autobahn at kurla ?
Also you can surely get the work done from outside at a much cheaper rate, Labour charges are always high at the service centres, The only thing which i would worry is getting the original parts, Try contacting shops at opera house for the parts, They will mostly give you 2 prices for both original and non original parts, And then you can get it installed at an independent garage.
Old 14th January 2016, 21:08   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
I had also got the same issue last month
I did got it fixed with local garage and the bill was 26K for front suspension work and 3.7k for changing lower arm bushes.
Old 15th January 2016, 13:02   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Did you get this quote from autobahn at kurla ?
Also you can surely get the work done from outside at a much cheaper rate, Labour charges are always high at the service centres, The only thing which i would worry is getting the original parts, Try contacting shops at opera house for the parts, They will mostly give you 2 prices for both original and non original parts, And then you can get it installed at an independent garage.
Yes Tanveer, Kurla workshop gave this quote. Parts is one thing but careful and proper workmanship is what I am not sure and I haven't dealt with any independent garages apart from minor issues. I need to run the car for another 3 year fuss free so i need to make sure that its done right. So if there is some trusted garage doing all this and replacing above properly i might get the parts done but needs to be done right.
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:32   #900
BANNED

Hi Laura owners,
I have a 2007, July Laura.
It is a 1.9 PD tdi, L&K variant.
The car has covered 1.1Lakh km.
Problems:
1. Lack of power - the car strains to pick up beyond 80 km.
2. A booming / droning noise accompanies the rough engine noise at speeds over 40 kph

The Skoda A$$ is too quick to indicate turbocharger failure, bearing failure etc etc since that will make them richer by a BIG amount.

The brake pads, rotors (front n rear) are rec for change too.
The car was serviced with Bosch 7k km and 6 months ago. Timing belt changed at 60k km.

What could be the reasons for problems 1 & 2 ?

How do I restore this (otherwise) great vehicle to good mechanical condition. The same 1.9s in Europe are easily running 5,00,000 km before major issues like this crop up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks