Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2016, 23:42   #946
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Hi All

I have 2.0 TDI Laura Oct 2012 Ambition. I feel my headlights have become less powerful. Is there any way to clean assembly /replace bulbs
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:04   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi All

I have 2.0 TDI Laura Oct 2012 Ambition. I feel my headlights have become less powerful. Is there any way to clean assembly /replace bulbs
Hello,

I assume you have the Laura with a setup of projector+halogen for low beam and a separate halogen for high beam. Normally the headlight is tightly sealed and unless the dust caps have been removed/damaged/wrongly refitted, there wouldn't be any dust entry to into the headlight housing. To determine the need of cleaning projectors, compare it with any Laura of similiar age. Being a simpler halogen projector, it is possible to clean its inside with some DIY removal of bulb/couplers. Using a stick with a lens cleaning cloth at its end and some glass cleaning liquids, you can wipe the inside of the projector lenses clean. Again I doubt it would be needed.

If your headlight assembly looks slightly yellowish from outside, it would be build up of small oxidation layers. Again it can be removed by simple toothpaste DIY methods or take it to a 3M car care for headlight restoration (for severe cases of oxidation only , which is highly unlikely as I have a Jan-2012 Laura whose headlights are pretty fine from the outside).

You can try upgrading the bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker or Philips X-treme vision for better illumination (costlier bulbs than standard replacements though). The bulb specs for Laura are:
Low beam: H7 (Osram Night Breaker H7)
High beam: H1 (Osram Night Breaker H1)

-- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:02   #948
BHPian

Thanks Avinash

Also was looking for options to remap the laura . Sent in a query to code 6 but have not received a response. They are also based in Bangalore so they can do it only when they come here

Can any one share details of where i can get my car remapped in Mumbai
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:54   #949
BHPian

Check with tune o tonics..they are pretty good
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 18:26   #950
BHPian

Have figured out how to activate both foglamps on the Laura. It's a trick in vcds
Old 6th August 2016, 18:36   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Posting on behalf of a friend.

Model: Skoda Laura L&K 2008 DSG

Problem:
When Car Starts, there is an audible beeping noise and ABS Warning light comes on. From the Manual, we figured out the ABS has some problem. Certain times the gearbox will not shift up even wen the car redlines(eg: driving in 2nd gear or 3rd gear, and it wont shift up to 3rd or 4th respectively). GB gladily shifts down when needed. Changing the GB to Manual and shifting up and down works and after doing that, the problem goes away for some time. Only to have it occur again randomly at some time. Took it to the Skoda Service Centre. They said the fault is with ABS Sensors and replaced 3 sensors. Car Ran fine for 3 days and then started giving a new problem.

The beeping noise and warning icon appears in the instrument cluster as before, and the car refuses to shift up as well at times, but new problem is when all is well and I am driving happily at some speed, the speedo drops to 0kph and immediately, the car downshifts to 1st gear(Scary Feeling, happened while trying to overtake a Bus). Took it back to the service people and they say the problem is with the ABS controller now. Mechanic seems to be dodging my question, what part is showing error. He said I need to purchase an ABS Controller.

Solution Mechanic Gave:
Pay 80K for fixing new ABS Controller including Labour costs. Once installed the problem goes away.

Redirect:
I asked him, what is the part number of the part that has failed, He gave me this info 'Part Number - 1K0 614 517 BD'. Doing a google search shows that this is an ABS pump and ECU module combined (http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/...amc4517bd.html)

I asked him, if the problem is not solved with ABS Controller, what can we do next? He replied I have to change the ECU. (Not some thing I think is cheap).

Question:
Can this module cause the Gearbox to act funny? I can understand the ABS Warnings and Beeping noises.

On a moderately well maintained Skoda Automatic with DSG 2008 model, how high are chances of ABS components failing or ECU failing?
Check All wheel speed sensors and the wiring coupler on the gearbox.
If you can post a VCDS scan result of all systems i can tell if the ABS controller needs replacing.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:20   #952
BHPian

Hello,
I have had similar issue although there was no loss of power. Since 2015 I have changed 3 out of the 4 wheel ABS sensors and it worked Ok . Problem occurred mainly in the monsoons. I believe this may be due to dirt/muck clogging the sensor but cant be sure if this is the exact reason. My car is 6 yrs old now.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:46   #953
BHPian

Skoda Laura-Car buffets at high speed

Hello !
I have this peculiar problem noticed as follows;
Whilst driving at speeds of 100 Km to 120 km the car feels like its swaying from side to side slightly and unnerving feeling of control loss. I have noticed this whilst driving on the Sealink in Mumbai.
In short she does not feel planted at high speeds as before.
For guidance, 71,000 kms travelled- Tyres are new (changed at 65000 kms) , suspension bushes changed, Front shocks replaced, Brake pads renewed and discs skimmed slightly.
Any advice is welcome

For the Mods.... I have searched earlier threads and found one on steering wobble in 2014 .... but not sure if it would apply to the above , hence this post :-)
Kind regards,
Old 8th September 2016, 18:50   #954
BHPian

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473340673.965972.jpg

need help ! trying to upgrade fog lamps with Attachéd picture. Has anyone updated this and any issues in installing them. I understand VAG may have some issues.

Last edited by sameerpb : 8th September 2016 at 18:51.
Old 8th September 2016, 21:35   #955
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura-Car buffets at high speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Whilst driving at speeds of 100 Km to 120 km the car feels like its swaying from side to side slightly and unnerving feeling of control loss. I have noticed this whilst driving on the Sealink in Mumbai.
This is mainly due to the strong winds on the Sealink! More so during the monsoon. I have experienced this while driving my Dzire,Swift & Amaze which have a much lighter build.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 10:43   #956
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura-Car buffets at high speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
This is mainly due to the strong winds on the Sealink! More so during the monsoon. I have experienced this while driving my Dzire,Swift & Amaze which have a much lighter build.
Hi PPS, thanks and noted. I have been driving on the sealink almost daily and agree that high wind speed do cause buffeting and have experienced it before , however of late I have noted that it is very pronounced and therefore the concern.
Nevertheless I have as of yesterday, got the rear wheel bearings changed as they were making a noise. Hope that was the reason. Will check and get back with an update. INR 3600 for each bearing at my local mechanic. More or less stopped giving the car to ASS as they rip you off.
Old 19th September 2016, 17:57   #957
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura - Technical Specifications & Feature List

Urgent help needed!

While coming back from my commute I went through an unfortunate pothole on the highway. Though the impact didn't feel all that much in the cabin after a couple of kilometers the steering wheel started shifting to left in pulses. I pulled over to check tyre pressure but everything seemed fine. Cranked the engine and took off. Same thing kept happening plus now there was a thud thud sound in equal intervals. Guess the worst thing that could happen - HAPPENED!
Fortunately I was on Sion Panvel highway and in Nerul. Called up S K Karzone and they readily asked me to drop by.Below is the dissected front axle. Yes it has been shot down. With 17 inchers and lowered springs and after 20k something KM's this is what I was worried about. And I accept I had it coming. Karzone quoted 16grand for repairing BOTH front axles. Can anyone assess the damages from the image? Is 16k reasonable for repairs(not replacement)? And is it a common procedure to repair both axles? How long would the repairs would last or is it just a jugaad? I'm on my way to enlightenment and I'm all ears.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_3401.jpg  

Old 20th September 2016, 15:41   #958
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura - Technical Specifications & Feature List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMane View Post
Urgent help needed!

While coming back from my commute I went through an unfortunate pothole on the highway. Though the impact didn't feel all that much in the cabin after a couple of kilometers the steering wheel started shifting to left in pulses. I pulled over to check tyre pressure but everything seemed fine. Cranked the engine and took off. Same thing kept happening plus now there was a thud thud sound in equal intervals. Guess the worst thing that could happen - HAPPENED!
Fortunately I was on Sion Panvel highway and in Nerul. Called up S K Karzone and they readily asked me to drop by.Below is the dissected front axle. Yes it has been shot down. With 17 inchers and lowered springs and after 20k something KM's this is what I was worried about. And I accept I had it coming. Karzone quoted 16grand for repairing BOTH front axles. Can anyone assess the damages from the image? Is 16k reasonable for repairs(not replacement)? And is it a common procedure to repair both axles? How long would the repairs would last or is it just a jugaad? I'm on my way to enlightenment and I'm all ears.
From the photo, it looks like the damage is only to the CV Joint.
I had replaced the CV joint of my Laura and it was very easy procedure.
Bought the item from Amazon for around 2.5K.
You may find the details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3941421
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 15:16   #959
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

I have a Laura 2011 - Elegance 2.0 DSG run for 73K and sincerely maintained. Similar to an instance stated in the thread; 15 days back; I got ABS and ESP light on intermittently and now stable. I plugged VCDS cable and found that that there was an error related to Rear right ABS sensor. However in the last few days during the first morning run the gearbox starts off in D1, revs hard goes to D2 and then thats it. Tried manual mode too but still doesn't go higher than second gear.
I then stopped the car, and started again and it was normal again. There is no issue throughout the day but the next day the problem comes up and goes away after restart.
I noticed in the VCDS that there was an ABS related comment under the Gearbox too so i am hoping its just because of the Sensor or else

I will post the log once i get a chance however any insight into this would be helpful.
Old 21st September 2016, 15:23   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
I have a Laura 2011 - Elegance 2.0 DSG run for 73K and sincerely maintained. Similar to an instance stated in the thread; 15 days back; I got ABS and ESP light on intermittently and now stable. I plugged VCDS cable and found that that there was an error related to Rear right ABS sensor. However in the last few days during the first morning run the gearbox starts off in D1, revs hard goes to D2 and then thats it. Tried manual mode too but still doesn't go higher than second gear.
I then stopped the car, and started again and it was normal again. There is no issue throughout the day but the next day the problem comes up and goes away after restart.
I noticed in the VCDS that there was an ABS related comment under the Gearbox too so i am hoping its just because of the Sensor or else

I will post the log once i get a chance however any insight into this would be helpful.
Is your battery healthy. If it is more than 3 years old, get the battery changed as a weak battery tends to throw up many errors like ABS sensor, Steering angle errors etc.To eliminate this possibility, it is best to get your battery changed - this is the simplest and cheapest solution which may work! You can get the Exide Din65LH battery which is available for an exchange price of 4600 (In Gurgaon, but may be around 5K in Mumbai due to taxes). These warning signs are the first tell tale for a bad battery.
Once the battery is changed, clear all the DTC (Diagnostic codes) with your VCDS and then see if they come back. If the ABS light still comes back, it may require a sensor change.
The GearBox can also behave erratically if it doesn't get the right voltages and sensor signals.
Keep your fingers crossed and hope that it is a battery problem!
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks