Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:45   #1021
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Thanks Rajcs, Wheel balancing was done immediately when tyres replaced with new. Noted your suggestion and will get it done to rule out , but honestly I don't think that's the issue. I am more worried that it will turn out to be the front fork bushing. Mild thud sound coming from front left side too.
Hi, just to update you got the wheel balancing done. Problem still persists. Saifee Tyres guy asked me to get the front ;left axle checked out as he felt this was being caused by the axle. One more trip to the mechanic !!
Old 9th January 2017, 13:13   #1022
BHPian

SKODA LAURA BURNING SMELL FROM THE HOOD:

My 2010 SKODA Laura Ambiente MT has doen 89000km.

I had gone to a hotel for a meeting and when i received the car back, there was a strong burnt rubber smell. I drove it back home slowly. No warning lights had come on, pick up seemed the same. However the smell was persistent. I had suspected the valet driver driving withe the hand brake on but since the smell was persistent so i ruled it out.

i later understood there was a sort of oil leak on the floor a few days earlier. I have since checked engine oil, coolant and found them to be intact. i thought may be the leaking gear oil or power steering fluid could be the culprit. So i sent it to the neighbourhood bosch garage and after putting it on the hydraulic car lift,checking the underneath as well as taking a TD, the mechanic suspects the clutch. He is quoting 65k for changing the assembly, fly wheel and master cylinder.

This car has not had a clutch change to date. I would like your opinions on the price quoted as well as your opinions on if a part(i.e master and slave cylinder) can be replaced instead of the full system.

Cheers
Old 18th January 2017, 20:22   #1023
BHPian

Finally my Laura 2.0 CR TDI is tuned to 150 BHP. I had gone with Pete's tuning and got the custom ECU remap done. This has improved low end torque and RPM specially at 2nd and 3rd gear. Other observation is fuel efficiency has also increased by couple of points.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th January 2017 at 00:01. Reason: Typo.
Old 18th January 2017, 20:34   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post

I had gone to a hotel for a meeting and when i received the car back, there was a strong burnt rubber smell. I drove it back home slowly. No warning lights had come on, pick up seemed the same. However the smell was persistent. I had suspected the valet driver driving withe the hand brake on but since the smell was persistent so i ruled it out.

i later understood there was a sort of oil leak on the floor a few days earlier. I have since checked engine oil, coolant and found them to be intact. i thought may be the leaking gear oil or power steering fluid could be the culprit. So i sent it to the neighbourhood bosch garage and after putting it on the hydraulic car lift,checking the underneath as well as taking a TD, the mechanic suspects the clutch. He is quoting 65k for changing the assembly, fly wheel and master cylinder.

This car has not had a clutch change to date. I would like your opinions on the price quoted as well as your opinions on if a part(i.e master and slave cylinder) can be replaced instead of the full system.

Cheers
Given the high mileage, the bosch garage is probably recommending that everything be changed for reliability sake. If you are keeping the car for the long haul, it might be worthwhile to get everything replaced for peace of mind. Else, the immediate problem of the fluid leak could probably be solved by replacing just the master / slave cylinders at a lower cost.
Old 18th January 2017, 21:07   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post

Cheers
I would get another opinion. If you are not seeing any change in pick up and no juddering then I dont see how you need to get the entire clutch assembly changed. If nothing is wrong with the flywheel then I would just leave it as is. What comes stock with the car is probably the best quality you are likely to get as far as Skodas are concerned. Also at 65k I think the Bosch guys are stretching it. Skoda A** should be able to do a clutch and flywheel change around the same price range.
Old 23rd January 2017, 01:20   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
My TSI is showing the 'Control system for exhaust' warning light in amber, the icon looks like the 'fuel fump' on other cars but as per the manual it is related to exhaust.
I drove in rains few days ago to airport (it wasn't that bad & no water logging on the roads)
Any inputs on what could be the issue?

Also I had filled 500Rs Petrol from an untrusted highway bunk last time, could this be causing the problem?
Thx
I have the same warning light in my TSI Laura and the OBD diagnostics shows a P02293 code that translates to "Fuel Pressure Regulator 2 Performance". The car has gone into a limp mode where there is no boost upon sudden acceleration. The car seems to choke when there is aggressive throttle input. After initial diagnosis the service Center in Bangalore said I need to replace the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). I asked them for some warranty or assurance from them that this will not give me the error if I go ahead and replace. They are conducting further checks to the car to ensure if indeed this is the problem.

I have read online about this issue and most of the time it could be just a sensor gone wrong (~$10) or the cam follower ($18) worn out. In extreme cases the HPFP needs to be replaced. In my case I have no way to verify what the issue is and have to depend on the "learned" advice of the authorised service Center.

Still waiting for them to come back on this.
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:22   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I have the same warning light in my TSI Laura and the OBD diagnostics shows a P02293 code that translates to "Fuel Pressure Regulator 2 Performance". The car has gone into a limp mode where there is no boost upon sudden acceleration. The car seems to choke when there is aggressive throttle input. After initial diagnosis the service Center in Bangalore said I need to replace the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). I asked them for some warranty or assurance from them that this will not give me the error if I go ahead and replace. They are conducting further checks to the car to ensure if indeed this is the problem.
How many kms has your car traveled?
The problem in my car was due to rats chewing on the sensor wires, was a easy fix for a local auto electrician. But my car is at 28,000 km only.

Do keep us updated on the issue & yes, ask them to fix the HPFP only if the warning goes away & car is back to normal.
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:25   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
How many kms has your car traveled?
The problem in my car was due to rats chewing on the sensor wires, was a easy fix for a local auto electrician. But my car is at 28,000 km only.

Do keep us updated on the issue & yes, ask them to fix the HPFP only if the warning goes away & car is back to normal.
My car has done ,69K kms already (2011 model) and since the Engine check light came on, I have driven 3000 kms in limp mode. Actually I was in Shimla when the error cropped up and I had to drive back to Bangalore after the authorised service centre in Chandigarh advised me I could drive back without any problems.

Today I got a call from the service centre that the HPFP is indeed faulty as the desired pressure is not achieved in their tests. They have to order the part and the wait begins.

Another strange thing is that Vinayak guys are asking me to pay 50% advance for the part before they can order it. I felt this absurd.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:41   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
My car has done ,69K kms already (2011 model) and since the Engine check light came on, I have driven 3000 kms in limp mode. Actually I was in Shimla when the error cropped up and I had to drive back to Bangalore after the authorised service centre in Chandigarh advised me I could drive back without any problems.

Another strange thing is that Vinayak guys are asking me to pay 50% advance for the part before they can order it. I felt this absurd.
That was quite a distance to be driven in limp mode & dangerous as well when you don't have the sudden burst of acceleration on highways.

It's not uncommon for service centers to ask for an advance for rarely sold parts, I remember Hyundai guys asking me to make a down payment for some part related to AC in my erstwhile Getz.

Good that they have narrowed down the problem. I just hope it's not a long wait.
Old 24th January 2017, 15:41   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have the same warning light in my TSI Laura and the OBD diagnostics shows a P02293 code that translates to "Fuel Pressure Regulator 2 Performance". The car has gone into a limp mode where there is no boost upon sudden acceleration. The car seems to choke when there is aggressive throttle input. After initial diagnosis the service Center in Bangalore said I need to replace the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP).
IIRC, your car was suffering from some coolant leakage just a few weeks back and there was a discussion on this thread about probable root cause. What finally happened on that front?

And now this fuel pump! How did they diagnose it to be the fuel pump? What's the price of a new one?
Old 24th January 2017, 23:17   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
IIRC, your car was suffering from some coolant leakage just a few weeks back and there was a discussion on this thread about probable root cause. What finally happened on that front?

And now this fuel pump! How did they diagnose it to be the fuel pump? What's the price of a new one?
Coolant leak persists in a strange fashion. I drove to Shimla and back and the coolant level went down just a few mm down after driving around 5000 kms. Back in Bangalore I topped up and in a week it goes down by an inch in just one week and 50 kms of driving. Totally perplexed!

Anyway I am getting the water pump replaced and the cost is 19k for the pump and additional coolant and labour that will total up to 25k rupees.

About the fuel pump, the service advisor mentioned that they did tests on the car and the desired pressure was not obtained and hence the fuel pump needs replacement. Somehow I have no way to be sure that this is indeed ṭhe case. I have read on the forums that this error could be even due to cam follower faiure that costs way lesser than the fuel pump itself. I am being charged 26K for the pump. No other option I have other than trusting the service Center. I have given a go ahead and they are ordering the part.
Old 25th January 2017, 19:30   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
I have read on the forums that this error could be even due to cam follower faiure that costs way lesser than the fuel pump itself. I am being charged 26K for the pump. No other option I have other than trusting the service Center. I have given a go ahead and they are ordering the part.
The high-pressure fuel pump (HPFP) cam follower failure was common in the generation of turbo FSI engines prior to the one we have in our Laura TSIs, which was the EA113. If I am not mistaken, our cars, which came with second gen EA888 1.8TSI engines (CDAA) don't have a history of cam follower failures.
Old 12th February 2017, 12:03   #1033

Skoda Laura Elegance Airbags and multiple problems

Hi friends, we just bought a used Skoda Laura Elegance 1.9 TDI 2010 model with automatic transmission.

The Car is in good shape and it has 95000 kms on the odometer. Though we have sorted most of the minor problems with the car by replacing the flywheel, setting the left front door glass switch problem and glove box light tube and front fog lamp bulbs replacement, yet two three problems persists as we could not locate the real cause.

Now, we cannot locate the passenger airbag switch in the glove box, even as while putting the car on Scanner, it is found that the Passenger Airbag wire is open. Same is the case with reverse gear Sensor, as the Graphic display is unable to show the distance from an object behind the car nor the buzzer would beep.

Any guidance in the matter would help us to ascertain the problem, before going to the Garage again as the previous garages, we visited were unable to sort the trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_0826.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_0828.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_0831.jpg  

Old 12th February 2017, 17:51   #1034
BANNED

Re: Skoda Laura Elegance Airbags and multiple problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by shergill View Post
Now, we cannot locate the passenger airbag switch in the glove box, even as while putting the car on Scanner, it is found that the Passenger Airbag wire is open. Same is the case with reverse gear Sensor, as the Graphic display is unable to show the distance from an object behind the car nor the buzzer would beep.
Are you very sure the car hasn't had an airbag deployment till date?

There have been cases when people have not replaced airbags after an accident and do not inform the next buyer of it. Also, since the airbag wire is open, it could very well mean that the module is missing.

Coming to the reverse parking sensor, it sounds like a malfunction between the sensor and the display and not the gearbox itself. This can be checked by any reputed garage handling slightly premium cars.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 18:01   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura Elegance Airbags and multiple problems

Sorry I cant help you with the technical issues you're facing but may I know why you decided to buy the 1.9 pump duse motor? It was widely accepted that the pre 2.0 CR Laura always faced a lot of issues. Just curious

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks