Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 10:51   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
To be accurate, the position of the water pump can be termed more as in the middle of the car, but it takes drive from the gearbox side of the engine (via the other end of the balancer shaft through a pulley&belt). It sits beneath the intake manifold. Access to replace the pump is easier when the same engine is mounted longitudinally (as in the case Audi A4).

Current Octavia has third generation of the EA888 TSI motors. I am not sure, but from the pictures it seems that the water pump placement / construction / drive are similar to that of the 1.8TSI in Laura.
A4 1.8TSi has longitudinal engine! Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post

I saw your post on the water pump replacement on your Tucson. Almost half the cost is from the timing belt change. Note that in diesel cars, the timing belt also has to be replaced when changing water pump. This is not the case in petrol cars. So a quote of 25K just for the water pump change is concerning.
Whether the water pump is driven by timing belt or something else (like in case of 1.8 TSi) has nothing to do with combustion system and fuel type, IMO.

BTW, in case of the Tuc, I got no warnings on the instrument cluster, even when the parking guy showed me the leak, temperature gauge hadn't moved at all from the standard position, so I was lucky, I replaced the pump before the engine overheated even once.

And for any such critical jobs, I will never give my Laura to any FNG. In the 6.5 years and 45000km that I clocked on the Laura, she has strictly been serviced at the dealer. Only wheel balancing and tyre rotations have been done outside, but that's me, I don't know of any FNG who really know the 1.8 TSi engine so I don't risk it even though the dealer rates are high (but then it is the case with Hyundai as well as I have seen in the 8 years of my Tuc's ownership). Maintaining cars is expensive, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post

The quoted cost of the water pump is not exorbitant. Like mentioned in my previous post, the water pumps in the 1.8TSI are advanced units compared to the ones in 1.6/2.0TDI engines, located differently and significantly more expensive also. The assembly contains the thermostat unit and the coolant temperature sensor. Also when working properly, they are for the life of the engine (ironically) unlike the units on the diesels where they are replaced with the timing belt. Quote of 19k for the water pump seems to be fair, considering costs here in Europe. The pump with a history of failures, has atleast 3 part revisions post 2011. For reference, the current part number revision for the coolant pump should be either of 06H121026DC or 06H121026CP.

Labour involved in replacing the pump in 1.8TSI will be more than that in the case of 2.0TDIs. Because of the pump's location, replacement requires removal of intake manifold and other bits in front of the car. But 5k as labour definitely seems far stretched. So is 3k for coolant drain and refill. Insist on the ASC to use only standard labour codes.

If anyone is interested, attaching the self-study programme document for the EA888 1.8TSI engine's basic architecture. Good read. Regarding the coolant pump in discussion, from page 30 of the document. Attachment 1573927
Excellent info Avinash, thank you! Will surely read it.
BTW, any idea where the engine oil really goes in the 1.8 TSi (Laura)? It's not alarming, but in last 6 years, I have never clocked even a single service interval without having to top up. And I don't even clock 15000km between services. It's anywhere between 8000 to 10000. And the tail pipes have a black carbon deposits! Same is the case with Polo TSi. What's the story, any idea? Thanks again
Old 7th November 2016, 18:32   #1007
BHPian

Re: Bi-xenons for Laura TSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi guys,

Need advice - I have Feb 2010 Laura TSi. I want to upgrade to bi-xenons if that's possible. The car came with projectors for low beam and reflectors for high beam. Is it possible to install bi-xenons in the low-beam projector housing and will it be effective? Is there any official upgrade available from Skoda/dealers?

Thanks!
Hi Anand, I also had same issue with low beam projector lights, while my visit to sainath auto ultimate in khar suggested me to upgrade lights to HID's and this can have good impact. He told me that this will cost me 6K. I have not taken specifications of bulbs but I am incline towards the upgrade.

I plan to visit him next weekend let's if it work out well.
sameerpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 19:23   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
A4 1.8TSi has longitudinal engine! Interesting!
Yup, all Audis from A4 and upwards, whether FWD or Quattro have longitudinal engines. Among them 1.4/1.8/2.0TSI essentially are the same engines that do duty in the affordable VW/Skoda cousins.

Quote:
Excellent info Avinash, thank you! Will surely read it.
BTW, any idea where the engine oil really goes in the 1.8 TSi (Laura)? It's not alarming, but in last 6 years, I have never clocked even a single service interval without having to top up. And I don't even clock 15000km between services. It's anywhere between 8000 to 10000. And the tail pipes have a black carbon deposits! Same is the case with Polo TSi. What's the story, any idea? Thanks again
I honestly don't know the reason for the higher oil consumption in 1.8TSI (it is the case with the engine globally). Some suggest that it is due to inefficiency of the the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) assembly (also refered to as the oil separator / breather etc), which sits at the top of the engine. If the oil separator (part of PCV) is not doing a proper job, you have more of the oil vapours going into the combustion chamber than normal, possibly increasing oil consumption. This PCV is also a common faulty component in the EA888 1.8/2.0TSI engines (along with the likes of coolant pump, timing chain tensioner etc), and has seen three part revisions. You can read about the PCV in our cars from page 24 of the previous document.

In our Laura, the PCV was replaced couple of months back due to 'system lean' faults being recorded in ECU. Post the replacement I feel that the car idles smoother, and will also be checking if it is bringing down the oil consumption. Other reasons for oil consumption could be our fuel quality (thereby different constituents in crankcase vapours), but that is just a wild guess. The tailpipe carbon deposits needn't be burnt oil. Direction injection petrols (likes of FSI / TSI) do produce soot which is otherwise normally associated with diesel engines. Combine that with our fuel quality, the deposits thus could similar to what we normally have in diesel tailpipe. This soot/Particulate Matter is not an issue with regular port fuel injection petrols though.

On a separate note, I have observed that the 1.2TSI (in our Vento) as well as the 3.6FSI (Superb) don't have similar oil consumption patterns like our Laura. The Superb seems to be having the least consumption rate, slightly higher for the Vento, and highest in the Laura. I keep spare bottles in the boot of all the cars though, luckily all use the exact same grade.
avinash_clt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 13:34   #1009
BHPian

I was waiting for the ABS sensor kit to arrive and as posted in the log earlier, it indeed was the fault in rear right speed sensor. Got all 4 of them replaced for 8K (Parts + labour) with 2 year warranty under 70% discount scheme still applicable. Actually it was much cheaper than outside, many of whom quoted ~4K per sensor + labour.
All the DSG related issues too are now sorted!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AUTOBAHN_MUM08_001_2016-2017_006171.pdf (221.9 KB, 311 views)
Zubin21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 13:46   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
I was waiting for the ABS sensor kit to arrive and as posted in the log earlier, it indeed was the fault in rear right speed sensor. Got all 4 of them replaced for 8K (Parts + labour) with 2 year warranty under 70% discount scheme still applicable. Actually it was much cheaper than outside, many of whom quoted ~4K per sensor + labour.
All the DSG related issues too are now sorted!!
My Laura has the ABS Sensor error and has to be replaced, where did you purchase same? I'm sorry if you have mentioned it elsewhere.

Btw just changed by Laura 2008 Clutch Assemby and Front Wheel Bearing along with Timing Belt, costed me around 80K for all the above.

Need to change my roof lining and ABS Sensor, and I think my car will be back as new
Old 24th November 2016, 13:48   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
My Laura has the ABS Sensor error and has to be replaced, where did you purchase same? I'm sorry if you have mentioned it elsewhere.

Btw just changed by Laura 2008 Clutch Assemby and Front Wheel Bearing along with Timing Belt, costed me around 80K for all the above.

Need to change my roof lining and ABS Sensor, and I think my car will be back as new
I gave it to Autobahn Skoda - Mumbai as mentioned in the Bill.
Old 16th December 2016, 19:46   #1012
BHPian

My TSI is showing the 'Control system for exhaust' warning light in amber, the icon looks like the 'fuel fump' on other cars but as per the manual it is related to exhaust.
I drove in rains few days ago to airport (it wasn't that bad & no water logging on the roads)
Any inputs on what could be the issue?

Also I had filled 500Rs Petrol from an untrusted highway bunk last time, could this be causing the problem?
Thx

Last edited by raihan : 16th December 2016 at 19:51.
Old 19th December 2016, 20:26   #1013
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Update on issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
My TSI is showing the 'Control system for exhaust' warning light in amber, the icon looks like the 'fuel fump' on other cars but as per the manual it is related to exhaust.
Thx
Damn rats at it again! they had chewed up all 5 wires coming out of the sensor
Took it to a friendly neighborhood electrician who redid it with new ones. Warning gone now. All good.
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 10:42   #1014
BHPian

Vibration after 80k solve

I had started experiencing slightly more engine noise and vibration in my Skoda Laura 1.9 TDI after 80000 in ODO. Had contacted few times at service center but each time they replied saying it's normal and diesel engine has this vibration. Smoothness of the Engine were gone specially at low speed and at higher speed.

But recently at 88500 KMS ODO reading, I have replaced timing belt kit along with alternator belt kit, after that the engine noise and vibration vanished, now car felt like new.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 14:05   #1015
BHPian

I have upgraded low beam lights to HID, I see lot of difference in visibility. The product I chose was RSR H7 4300W with canbus. Hence there was no error code generated.

Below are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_7464.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_7465.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_7467.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_7469.jpg  

sameerpb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 14:12   #1016
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura-Car buffets at high speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hello !
I have this peculiar problem noticed as follows;
Whilst driving at speeds of 100 Km to 120 km the car feels like its swaying from side to side slightly and unnerving feeling of control loss. I have noticed this whilst driving on the Sealink in Mumbai.
In short she does not feel planted at high speeds as before.
For guidance, 71,000 kms travelled- Tyres are new (changed at 65000 kms) , suspension bushes changed, Front shocks replaced, Brake pads renewed and discs skimmed slightly.
Any advice is welcome

For the Mods.... I have searched earlier threads and found one on steering wobble in 2014 .... but not sure if it would apply to the above , hence this post :-)
Kind regards,
Hi, in continuation with the above, of late the moment I cross 55 to 60 kmph the car shudders and yaws and I can feel the vibration on the steering wheel too. Local mechanic says it may be fork bushes . He first told me its the tyres due to uneven wear but the treads show no sign of wear and tyres are brand new. He has told me not to drive over 60 kmph for the moment. Is there anyone who can provide any clues? Worried that ASS will charge the earth.
regards,
Seacat
Old 29th December 2016, 14:46   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
I have upgraded low beam lights to HID, I see lot of difference in visibility. The product I chose was RSR H7 4300W with canbus. Hence there was no error code generated.
Looks great with the HID, could you tell us from where did you source the kit & how much it costed if you don't mind? What brand of lights(Philips?) are you using?
Looks like your parking lights are 8000K as it looks bluish did you get an error canceler for that as well?
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 14:49   #1018
BHPian

I am sure wheel balancing may have been done recently. If not that's probably the thing to start with. Under certain conditions tires may require balancing in about 5000 km. Besides it's the easiest thing to do.
Old 29th December 2016, 14:53   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
I am sure wheel balancing may have been done recently. If not that's probably the thing to start with. Under certain conditions tires may require balancing in about 5000 km. Besides it's the easiest thing to do.
Thanks Rajcs, Wheel balancing was done immediately when tyres replaced with new. Noted your suggestion and will get it done to rule out , but honestly I don't think that's the issue. I am more worried that it will turn out to be the front fork bushing. Mild thud sound coming from front left side too.
Old 30th December 2016, 09:54   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Looks great with the HID, could you tell us from where did you source the kit & how much it costed if you don't mind? What brand of lights(Philips?) are you using?
Looks like your parking lights are 8000K as it looks bluish did you get an error canceler for that as well?
I sourced a kit from Sainath Auto Ultimate Khar, The kit came with HID bulbs and a canbus kit from RSR which did not through up any error you can refer last picture of canbus, while setting up the parking LED's they were also routed through canbus hence there was no error. The job just plug and play no wire cutting or any alteration required in wiring set up.

Total job costed me RS 8300, it was worth spending as I could see lot of improvement in lighting.

Last edited by sameerpb : 30th December 2016 at 09:56.
sameerpb is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks