Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 16:02   #796
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
My laura TSI has got stuck in 4th gear, there is a lot of play in the gear stick in the front & back direction, however it's not moving side to side. Clutch seems fine.
Shifter replaced by Skoda for 4,300 plus 2,000 for towing on a flat bed.
Think I got away easily this time.

Last edited by raihan : 4th February 2015 at 16:03.
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 11:33   #797
BHPian

TYRES FOR THE LAURA:

I have done 66k kms on a 2010 laura diesel mt. Need to change my tyres for 2nd time. I changed the stock NCT5s at 25k kms, switched to conti cpc2 and have driven 41k kms on it. Need to make a choice between Michelin primacy 3st/ Continental MC5/Yokohama Earth 1? I tend to use the car a lot on the highways and about 25% of the time on B and C roads.

I found the NCT5s to be very ordinary with uneven wear problems, had a few punctures and was not satisfied with the braking so decided to switch it earlier than required.

I had no problems with the CPC2, good grip in wet and dry and an excellent tyre on a well paved national highway, but get of the highway to a smaller road which has potholes and the ride quality seriously suffers. There was also a whistling tyre noise over certain road surfaces at speeds in excess of 120kmph on the NH.

Now looking for a choice that offers good grip, reasonable comfort & noise levels and peace of mind ownership (basically no weak sidewalls)

Keen to know your opinions on what my choice should be?
Old 20th February 2015, 12:12   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
TYRES FOR THE LAURA:

Keen to know your opinions on what my choice should be?
I am using 3st on my Laura and they are pretty good. There are much quieter than NCT's on highways. Would recommend any day!
Old 20th February 2015, 13:40   #799
BHPian

I am using Yokohama A drive R1 on my 2007 Skoda Laura L&K AT and very satisfied with them.
Old 4th March 2015, 21:10   #800
Team-BHP Support

Guys facing 2 issues with my vRS -

1) The tacho needle lighting has gone off. Flickers sometimes, but mostly off. This happened yesterday, after the car was off for a few hours. Odd. Does the full cluster have to be replaced?

2) The Bolero system, when I select media, shows error for all 6 CDs. If I take out the CDs and put them back, all is well for a day. Then again it shows error.

Are these known problems? Have been extra busy so not been able to do much research, will appreciate any help on these.
Old 4th March 2015, 22:33   #801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

1) The tacho needle lighting has gone off. Flickers sometimes, but mostly off. This happened yesterday, after the car was off for a few hours. Odd. Does the full cluster have to be replaced?
BHPian Santoshbhat is facing the same issue on his Laura's cluster. Quoting from his ownership thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Another small issue is that the white backlight for the tachometer needle has gone kaput just recently. Tacho visibility at night has gone for a toss as a result. The only fix is to replace the cluster which is not worth the expense. Don't know if cluster staging has anything to do with it. All those full 270 degree sweeps on every start up.
AFAIK the needles are backlit by SMD LEDs soldered on the cluster's PCB. The needles have a transparent body which transmits the light like optical fiber. The LED may have to be replaced. In all probability, Skoda might ask you to replace the whole cluster.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 08:29   #802
BHPian

Quote:

In EU there are many shops which carry out cluster repairs and about a year ago Sugesh from Vagtune had told me that he plans to start cluster repairs in future. You will have to check with him if he did start such services already. Like Gannu said, it is mostly just a matter of swapping LEDs. Only thing, it should be done by someone who knows electronics and VAG cars so that nothing is damaged in the process of repairing, an experienced hand should be able to do it.

Quote:
2) The Bolero system, when I select media, shows error for all 6 CDs. If I take out the CDs and put them back, all is well for a day. Then again it shows error.

Are these known problems? Have been extra busy so not been able to do much research, will appreciate any help on these.
Will have to remove top cover and get the CD rack out to check if everything is in order. When hooking up the media box in my Bolero RCD 510, the CD changer was removed and when all work was done CD changer had some issues, not same issue as yours, however CD changer was not working properly. Luckily Teny from Metal effect who did this job, had another Bolero system lying at his garage and he swapped just the CD changer unit for me and there were no issues after that. But since yours is working after removing and putting back the CDs, it could be a smaller issue. Would give a better idea if you get the top opened and the CD rack removed & checked.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 11:20   #803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
In EU there are many shops which carry out cluster repairs and about a year ago Sugesh from Vagtune had told me that he plans to start cluster repairs in future. You will have to check with him if he did start such services already. Like Gannu said, it is mostly just a matter of swapping LEDs. Only thing, it should be done by someone who knows electronics and VAG cars so that nothing is damaged in the process of repairing, an experienced hand should be able to do it.

Will have to remove top cover and get the CD rack out to check if everything is in order. When hooking up the media box in my Bolero RCD 510, the CD changer was removed and when all work was done CD changer had some issues, not same issue as yours, however CD changer was not working properly. Luckily Teny from Metal effect who did this job, had another Bolero system lying at his garage and he swapped just the CD changer unit for me and there were no issues after that. But since yours is working after removing and putting back the CDs, it could be a smaller issue. Would give a better idea if you get the top opened and the CD rack removed & checked.

Thanks, let me figure this out.

Can't have the car off the road for more than a day, so let me see if anyone can do the cluster repair in Bombay itself. The funny thing is that it flickers sometimes, so I have a feeling its just a loose connection.

As for the Bolero, let me try and find someone to open it up.

Will update you guys on the proceedings.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 15:48   #804
BHPian

Of late I am hearing a rather loud noise (whistle like) when the turbo spools in my Superb TSI. Earlier the whistle was present but was barely noticeable.

During my visit to ASC recently, I asked them to check whether this is a real problem. One of their mechanics even TD'd my car and agreed that the turbo sound was higher than usual. On return he checked intake hose pipes and said they seem fine, so there is nothing to worry about. The car drives fine. Its done about 22k kms and I am noticing this sound from the past 3-4k kms. My driving pattern is mostly highways and cruising at ~3-3.5k rpm. Not many instances of hard acceleration or red lining.

Any inputs appreciated.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:53   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
Of late I am hearing a rather loud noise (whistle like) when the turbo spools in my Superb TSI. Earlier the whistle was present but was barely noticeable.

During my visit to ASC recently, I asked them to check whether this is a real problem. One of their mechanics even TD'd my car and agreed that the turbo sound was higher than usual. On return he checked intake hose pipes and said they seem fine, so there is nothing to worry about. The car drives fine. Its done about 22k kms and I am noticing this sound from the past 3-4k kms. My driving pattern is mostly highways and cruising at ~3-3.5k rpm. Not many instances of hard acceleration or red lining.

Any inputs appreciated.
Hi, are you sure its the Turbo ??. I had a similar problem some time back and would get this annoying whistle sound when I drove between 110 - 120 kmph on the Expressway. Found out that it was the AC recirc flap remaining slightly open causing the sound. Very similar to a Turbo whistle.

Last edited by Seacat : 6th April 2015 at 10:53. Reason: spelling mistake
Seacat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 11:01   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hi, are you sure its the Turbo ??. I had a similar problem some time back and would get this annoying whistle sound when I drove between 110 - 120 kmph on the Expressway. Found out that it was the AC recirc flap remaining slightly open causing the sound. Very similar to a Turbo whistle.
Thanks for your input, Seacat. Is there any easy test I could do myself to see if this is the cause of my problem too? My recirculation mode is always set to automatic if that helps.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:29   #807
BHPian

Hi Pratika, to be candid I am not sure how you can test it. The only way I made out was driving at diff speeds and checking at which speed the sound was ON and when it was OFF. Wish I could be of any help but don't want to give you some poor advise.

You could ask the ASC to check the
1. recirc flap if shutting properly
2. also ask him to check the cooling flap for the glove compt. I believe that can also cause this sound and they normally close this flap permanently if it creates this problem. You can access this from the dashboard side and close it with a screwdriver. At last that's what they did to my car and it instantly helped solve the problem.
Seacat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 17:17   #808
BHPian

Am here again with yet another problem, when I started the my TSI('11 model with 23,500kms, serviced last Aug) this afternoon at home the coolant warning light stays on in red(with audible alarm 3 beeps)

As per the manual "The coolant
level when the engine is cold must lie between the b (MIN) and a (MAX)
markings"

I checked coolant & it's above max level(almost 60% of the reservoir).
Any idea on whats conked off? how much would it cost?
thx

Last edited by raihan : 11th April 2015 at 17:19.
Old 11th April 2015, 19:16   #809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Am here again with yet another problem, when I started the my TSI('11 model with 23,500kms, serviced last Aug) this afternoon at home the coolant warning light stays on in red(with audible alarm 3 beeps)

As per the manual "The coolant
level when the engine is cold must lie between the b (MIN) and a (MAX)
markings"

I checked coolant & it's above max level(almost 60% of the reservoir).
Any idea on whats conked off? how much would it cost?
thx
Try reducing the coolant in the tank a little so that it is below the max mark. Overfilling of coolant could be the problem.
Old 11th April 2015, 19:25   #810
Team-BHP Support

The coolant warning light also turns on if the GND lead of the sensor is disconnected or the lead is cut somewhere. The easiest way to check this is to remove the sensor from the coolant expansion tank, take a bare wire and connect the lead to the car's body completing the circuit. If the warning goes off, it indicates a disconnection in the GND lead.

The fuel gauge sensor, ambient air temperature sensor, windshield washer fluid tank sensor and the coolant level sensor have a common GND sender. If the GND lead is disconnected, the fuel gauge wont work, temperature erratically indicates negative temperature with a snow flake symbol, windshield washer low level warning would light up and the low coolant level warning will light up, respectively.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th April 2015 at 19:39.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks