Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 12:22   #1411
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki5069 View Post
the car has always run on Skoda ASS oils and once I used Shell Helix, absolutely hated it)
I was under the impression that Skoda now has a tie up with Shell and Shell Helix Ultra is used by all service centres across the country.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong

Cheers,
Sid
Old 3rd June 2022, 21:35   #1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpak View Post
I was under the impression that Skoda now has a tie up with Shell and Shell Helix Ultra is used by all service centres across the country.

Cheers,
Sid
I will check with Skoda Service centre about it, while I don't think since last service was on shell and the one before it was at Skoda and the one at Skoda gave me a feel of smoother engine against with shell (it always felt louder).
Old 3rd June 2022, 22:19   #1413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpak View Post

Cheers,
Sid
VW and Skoda both have their contract on engine oil supply from Shell - a fellow BHPian who works with Shell also confirms this and the bottles are also a testament to this.

Name:  815099B2D8A34E999EEE35890F6F157C.jpeg
Views: 903
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  31627A7E81FC436686BA67FC9B82E4B8.jpeg
Views: 897
Size:  33.4 KB

This is a global contract if I’m not mistaken.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 13:36   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to Skoda Laura RS -
1. I am planning to first go for lowering springs - Euro Specs since I dont wish to go for another new set of dampers now
I wouldn't recommend lowering springs for our kind of roads unless you are choosy about where you drive you car. My daily driver is a 2013 Laura 2.0 TDI. I have swapped out the dampers and springs from the European variant of the same car along with anti-roll bars and suspension bushes and that has transformed the car's highway manners completely. She will hold a line through a corner and that stock understeer has completely vanished. The ride quality isn't stiff like aftermarket dampers and the ride height isn't too low either to be scared of Bangalore's roads. I have to take it nice and easy only when fully loaded (with 4 people + riding gear etc), else, the ride is just fabulous.

Quote:
2. I will go for stock replacement free flow (better flow) filter, is there stock box filter replacement option - which shall go in the box, not too keen for a conical one since it will be pulling engine heat
I'm running the Racingline filter in my car, it's a foam based filter that needs to be cleaned and oiled but offers the kind of airflow for the motor. For your case, stock air filter should be good enough for Stage 1 kind of remap.

Quote:
3. I have my service due and the car has always been to SKODA ASS, should I go for Skoda Engine Oil or after market options like - Addinol, Liqui moly, Amsoil, etc.
I'm using Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 since the past 5 years (roughly 5 oil changes). It is compatible with VW 504.00/507.00 spec. Prior to that was running whatever Skoda was supplying with. Quite happy with the engine oil and the protection offered.
Old 6th June 2022, 19:10   #1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
I'm using Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 since the past 5 years (roughly 5 oil changes). It is compatible with VW 504.00/507.00 spec. Prior to that was running whatever Skoda was supplying with. Quite happy with the engine oil and the protection offered.
Hey Vignesh, thank you so much for the revert and it really helped me with certain points -
Just a few quick points/ doubts -
1. Have you felt any difference in performance & sound of the engine under Mobil1 against VW oils (I felt a sudden difference on Shell Helix, could be psychological as well)
2. I have got the exact RS Dampers this time from Skoda ASS India, will the international/ Euro Springs match with the one's provided by Skoda India (since my only problem with Sachs, that I had put last year was the spring rate not matching with the dampers rate)
3. Yes, I am planning to stick to stage 1 only with a stock box intake air filter & an aftermarket downpipe

I haven't been to Bangalore much but in Gurgaon roads are pathetic which is the most part of my commute, I rarely have 4-5 folks in my car, usually it's a self driven only car.

Also, I had bought Ceratec (read good reviews on it), any experience around it ?
Old 7th June 2022, 11:43   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
1. Have you felt any difference in performance & sound of the engine under Mobil1 against VW oils (I felt a sudden difference on Shell Helix, could be psychological as well)
2. I have got the exact RS Dampers this time from Skoda ASS India, will the international/ Euro Springs match with the one's provided by Skoda India (since my only problem with Sachs, that I had put last year was the spring rate not matching with the dampers rate)

Also, I had bought Ceratec (read good reviews on it), any experience around it ?
You are welcome. Happy to help. With regards to your queries
1. I haven't found any difference in sound of the engine, however I do notice the engine smooth and strong even after a few months into the oil change.
2. When you say RS dampers, are you talking about the ones from the Laura vRS?
3. I have tried Ceratec and it does work very well, the noise and vibration levels do reduce quite a bit and I feel its a worthwhile investment.
Old 7th June 2022, 14:17   #1417

Quote:
You are welcome. Happy to help. With regards to your queries
2. When you say RS dampers, are you talking about the ones from the Laura vRS?
Vignesh,

I have a Laura VRS, last year on popular recommendation I had put Sachs dampers (OEM Supplier) while I was never happy with the set up, I always felt something was off which is why the car didn't behave as a single unit.

About 3 months back, I sent the car to Skoda ASS and got the entire suspension changed by them - putting in the Exact Part no for Laura Vrs (which they have claimed to be stiffer from the usual), I find the car much better now.

Now I am curious if the springs (Euro Spec - Lowered ones) will match with the Indian VRS Dampers & were the Euro spec dampers different ?

Also, the rear end of this car is pretty bouncy still, which is why I am keen on lowering springs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th September 2022 at 12:38. Reason: fixing quote tags
Old 7th June 2022, 15:07   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Vignesh,

I have a Laura VRS, last year on popular recommendation I had put Sachs dampers (OEM Supplier) while I was never happy with the set up, I always felt something was off which is why the car didn't behave as a single unit.
Understood. The Laura vRS's stock suspension while claimed to be firmer, it is still soft in terms of body roll etc., I'm running the dampers & springs from the European Octavia Mk2 vRS (a.k.a Laura in India) along with anti roll bars and suspension bushes. Agree, the components need to complement each other, else it'll not feel like one unit. With regards to the actual components, I'm not authority on part numbers or variations. Tune O Tronics helped with decision/sourcing/installation of the parts.
Old 7th June 2022, 16:57   #1419

Quote:
Understood. The Laura vRS's stock suspension while claimed to be firmer, it is still soft in terms of body roll etc., I'm running the dampers & springs from the European Octavia Mk2 vRS (a.k.a Laura in India) along with anti roll bars and suspension bushes. Agree, the components need to complement each other, else it'll not feel like one unit. With regards to the actual components, I'm not authority on part numbers or variations. Tune O Tronics helped with decision/sourcing/installation of the parts.
Vignesh,

Do you have the contact of Tuneotronics folks, I have the stage 1 from them only, I would discuss it with them only if the indian dampers are a direct match to the european specs since neither I have the energy nor money to change the dampers yet again.
Old 26th June 2022, 02:56   #1420

Skoda Laura: Glow plug indicator & limp mode

Hi,

I own a skoda laura 2010 TDI MT. The odo is around 1,80,000 kms.

Recently I have been getting the warning of glow plug indicator and the vehicle turns to limp mode. Left the car for inspection in skoda service center and they gave me an estimate of 4 - 5 lakhs and the parts to be replaced was high pressure pump, all injectors and common rail.

Then I took my vehicle and serviced outside in which I had replaced all injectors and common rail(parts from used cars) . I spent 1.6 lakhs for the whole service. Initially I did not get any problems for around 500 kms. Then again it started to show the same warning of coil symbol and vehicle goes to safe mode. I drove like that for a week now the car doesn't even start. The crank takes around 30 secs to start by the time battery gets weak. Also the engine turns off while running so that I couldn't take back to the place I serviced which is far my place.

However managed to bring the vehicle home and called the local mechanic near my home who usually service Maruti cars. Then he jump started the vehicle and took to his service station. The error showed in the obd scanner was low rail pressure which was the same as the earlier one. Now he said that the fuel pump has to be replaced. I'm waiting for the spare at the moment. Not sure if this will workout.

Anyone has any similar experiences or any insights pls do share
Old 6th July 2022, 01:51   #1421
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura: Glow plug indicator & limp mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvishnu06 View Post
Hi,

I own a skoda laura 2010 TDI MT. The odo is around 1,80,000 kms.

Recently I have been getting the warning of glow plug indicator and the vehicle turns to limp mode. Left the car for inspection in skoda service center and they gave me an estimate of 4 - 5 lakhs and the parts to be replaced was high pressure pump, all injectors and common rail.

Then I took my vehicle and serviced outside in which I had replaced all injectors and common rail(parts from used cars) . I spent 1.6 lakhs for the whole service. Initially I did not get any problems for around 500 kms. Then again it started to show the same warning of coil symbol and vehicle goes to safe mode. I drove like that for a week now the car doesn't even start. The crank takes around 30 secs to start by the time battery gets weak. Also the engine turns off while running so that I couldn't take back to the place I serviced which is far my place.

However managed to bring the vehicle home and called the local mechanic near my home who usually service Maruti cars. Then he jump started the vehicle and took to his service station. The error showed in the obd scanner was low rail pressure which was the same as the earlier one. Now he said that the fuel pump has to be replaced. I'm waiting for the spare at the moment. Not sure if this will workout.

Anyone has any similar experiences or any insights pls do share
Hi, I faced a similar problem with my 2011 Laura 2.0 TDI L&K DSG (CR).

Cut to the chase, it is simply a defective common rail sensor. An FNG which specializes in VAG cars shall be able to fix it in under Rs. 5K.

I was also given an estimate of Rs. 2.5 Lacs from the authorized service centre here in New Delhi (Arya Skoda) which included replacement of entire common rail system i.e. primary high pressure fuel pump (40K), secondary fuel pump (22k), all injectors (4x20k), fuel line & the common rail sensor.

The problem: Whenever I used to accelerate the car on S mode or even on D with a heavy foot, it used to pull upto a certain point and after redlining in a couple of gears it used to jump into limp mode & flashing the prompt on the MID-'Engine fault, visit workshop!' alongwith that blinking glow plug tell tale light on the cluster.

Instantaneous, on-spot stop-gap arrangement: Pull it over, switch it off & start the engine again. All the prompts used to disappear. The problem doesn't surface up unless you floor the pedal. But on the OBD scanner, the fault code-'Common rail fuel pressure too low' used to come up. Even after resetting the fault code, the same problem used to arise whenever I drove spiritedly.

The tale: Stupid people they are (Skoda authorized service centre team)-bogus engineers. Insisted me to change the entire common rail system which included the parts listed earlier in this post. I confronted them by saying that they should rather act as engineers and check the point of malfunction where this pressure drop in happening; whether it is the primary pump, secondary pump, the line, injectors or only the sensor playing kaput but to no avail.

The final solution: Went to my FNG who does VAG cars and the problem was fixed in a jiffy. Common rail sensor was replaced for around Rs. 3500. My car had clocked 1.3 Lac kms when I first encountered this problem. Drove it till 1.76 Lac kms mark before selling it due to the 10 year diesel car rule here in NCR.

Hope this helps.
R/AM
Old 24th September 2022, 16:12   #1422

Hi Abhishek,

I have come a similar problem with my Skoda Laura TDI.
Can you please help me with the contact of your workshop?
Thanks in advance!
Old 24th September 2022, 17:49   #1423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsingha View Post
Hi Abhishek,

Thanks in advance!
Since you are in Gurgaon, I can recommend the Bosch Xpert centre near Unitech Cyber park in Sec-39. I used to get both my Laura (2.0 TDI manual) and my Yeti serviced here. You can contact a guy Satya Prakash there.
They are experts in all VAG cars and even service premium cars like Jaguars, BMWs and many Audis too. I had been using them for the past 5 years till I sold my Laura last year.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 18:33   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsingha View Post
Hi Abhishek,

Thanks in advance!
The workshop's owner is Ranjit and you can get in touch with him on 9717954330. His workshop's name is RSP motors and is located in the lane just opposite to Maruti Factory on Old Delhi Gurgaon road.
abhishek24x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 12:22   #1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Since you are in Gurgaon, I can recommend the Bosch Xpert centre near Unitech Cyber park in Sec-39. I used to get both my Laura (2.0 TDI manual) and my Yeti serviced here. You can contact a guy Satya Prakash there.
They are experts in all VAG cars and even service premium cars like Jaguars, BMWs and many Audis too. I had been using them for the past 5 years till I sold my Laura last year.
Thank you for your response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek24x View Post
The workshop's owner is Ranjit and you can get in touch with him on 9717954330. His workshop's name is RSP motors and is located in the lane just opposite to Maruti Factory on Old Delhi Gurgaon road.
Thank you for sharing the details!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th September 2022 at 12:40. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Also, please use the Thanks button next time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks