Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 19:55   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I have done 1500 odd kms on my Swift VDi and the best Milage I have managed is 12.5 and worst of 9 being the first one (Tank full to Tank full). I still have to calculate the milage after first service.

My daily drive includes one of the worst patches in the city and sometimes take me 45 mins to travel 7 kms. But I was still expecting better milage hope it improves on the next fill.
In the recent past I have shifted my office to a place very close to my residence and is hardly 4 kms one-way. In the morning traffic is heavy and you have to drive mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear. In the evening since I come out a little late, the traffic is smooth and I can shift to 4th. Occassionally I go in for long drives on week ends.
With this driving pattern I have been consistently getting 15 - 16 kmpl on my 2 months old VDi having 1900 kms on the odo at Kolkata.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:38   #137
BHPian

The following figures are using tank full to tank full method.

My PALIO MJD SDX is giving me an FE of 21.5 kmpl, since the very first tank full done [ 60% Highway, 40% City ].

My car has now done 4800 kms and I have always used premium Diesel and my car constantly returns me an FE of 21.5 kmpl.

I always drive between 2000rpm-3000rpm only the in 5th gear, in gears from 1st to 4th I always try to keep the car under 2000rpm, so that is always change gears under 2000rpm.

Cheers.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:50   #138
agm
BHPian

8 months old Swift DDis done with 10k

80% City ,20% Highway

Overall mileage with 100% A/c - 17km/ltr
Old 19th January 2009, 14:57   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
We are missing an important factor here. In Swift D both 4th and 5th gears are overdrive , where as Palio has 4th gear ratio 1.0 and only 5th overdrive. this gives advantage to swift in FE over Palio.

-Sanju
Personally my MJD gives me around 15kmpl 50%ac and driving mostly on 3 rd and 4th with 2 adult passengers normal diesel .

Things are not so simple...unfortunately. If you are a single driver speeding on a highway in a swift what you say might be true but otherwise .... read on for my reasoning.

There is a reason why swift has over drive in 4th and 5th while Palio does only on the 5th.

Given that:
Swift is basically a two passenger car but a Palio is 5 passenger car. (Just look at swift rear seat and their tv advert before arguing this point please)

Swift has bigger wheels than the palio , hence it takes more effort to turn a swift wheel than palios.

Thus:
Swift designers visualize moving their car faster with lesser loads (transalation Sporty ride) while palio is designed to move heavier loads and more everyday speeds.

Now if you give an engine more load than it can handle it begins to lug, meaning its fuel efficiency drops.

Swifts lower gears also have a higher ratios than the Palio, if i am not mistaken - please correct me on this if i am wrong

The idea is to give swift a really big push in the lower gears and the overdrive + momentum keeps the engine from lugging.

But in stop and go traffic swift consumes more fuel because of its higher gearing ratios on 1 to 3rd gears. and you cant keep your overdrive gears for too long in city drives.
Also if you put 4 people and/or luggage in a swift your driving style would need to change to give decent FE the overdrive cannot be used to accelerate below certain speed without compromising FE.

Hence you will see Palios and Vistas report better FE than Swifts.

@GemiThomas Gear ratio is the 'rotations of wheel' divided by 'rotation of the engine' So when some one says MJD has a gear ratio of 1 on the 4th gear and your engine is at 2000rpm this means that your wheel are also turning at 2000rpm. Over drive means you have **more than 1** revolution of the wheels for **one** rotation of the engine.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:00   #140
tez
BHPian

2 tank fulls for Swift Vdi.
19.5 - 80% city 20% highway
23.1 - 80%highway 20% city
Old 19th January 2009, 15:35   #141

Quadrajet great figures

Hi all,

These are the figure I got on vista quadrajet on two tankfulls.

First at 500 odd KM

424 km in 25.2 Litre of Diesel = 16.82 KM/Litre.

At 1000 odd KM Just after First Service.

563 km in 27.8 litre of Diesel = 20.25 Km/Litre.

Please note all figures are in Delhi city driving conditions without AC (It is chilly in Delhi) I take MG road from Gurgaon to Saket. i start early in the morning and evening to avoid rush ( start at 8:20 in the morning and at 5:00 in the evening). Never crossed 70Km/hr and 2500 rpm.

Belt up and Drive Safe

Johncheers:
Old 19th January 2009, 17:18   #142
rippergeo

Swift Vdi with Pete's box and CAI and 185/70/R14 tyres

17kmpl after a tankfull to tankfull method. Entire distance done inside the city. AC on 100%. Upshifting at 1400rpm(yes 1400rpm) Cruising at idle. The tank took forever to empty.

70 kilometers of this distance was done on a sunday morning pleasure trip around cochin with 4000rpm upshifts and bursts of speed to 140-160. I just had to stretch my car's legs after 2 weeks of mileage driving.
Please note roads were empty 5.30 AM to 6.30 AM on sunday. So no bashing for rash driving please.

My regular mileage in city with 100% AC is 16kmpl, so all that saintly stuff about saving the environment doesnt seem to be worth it. i'm going back to 3000rpm upshifts.

Last edited by rippergeo : 19th January 2009 at 17:25.

Old 19th January 2009, 18:33   #143
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
@GemiThomas Gear ratio is the 'rotations of wheel' divided by 'rotation of the engine' So when some one says MJD has a gear ratio of 1 on the 4th gear and your engine is at 2000rpm this means that your wheel are also turning at 2000rpm. Over drive means you have **more than 1** revolution of the wheels for **one** rotation of the engine.
Got it wrong mate. Overdrive is only for the gear box. It is the ratio of "rotations at input" (after primary reduction) to "rotations at output"
Old 20th January 2009, 08:55   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post

Given that:
Swift is basically a two passenger car but a Palio is 5 passenger car. (Just look at swift rear seat and their tv advert before arguing this point please)

Hence you will see Palios and Vistas report better FE than Swifts.

Swift as 2 passenger is a new theme coming up now a days on forum.

I checked again the thread for all reported figures and I do not see Palios and Vistas report better FE.

-Sanju
Old 20th January 2009, 16:24   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Got it wrong mate. Overdrive is only for the gear box. It is the ratio of "rotations at input" (after primary reduction) to "rotations at output"
Point noted and accepted; i was not explaining over drive to a petrol head I was explaining it as i need to understand it while driving. I hope i made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
Swift as 2 passenger is a new theme coming up now a days on forum.

I checked again the thread for all reported figures and I do not see Palios and Vistas report better FE.
-Sanju
2 seater cars is not a criticism i believe MUL did their market research the lesser leg room is more a design thing than a cost cutting measure, if you notice the front seat are very spacious.

Sanjubaba, do you see Swifts consistently beating vistas and palios even with two overdrive gears v/s just one over drive gear?

My point was 2 over drive gears is not an advantage, it is just different. If you dont use, you really need to know your machine to get the best milage.

Last edited by AadiAtPlay : 20th January 2009 at 16:29.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:20   #146
BHPian

This is one more for DDIS
Car in question is Dzire ZDi
Attached Files
File Type: xls Mileage.xls (17.5 KB, 745 views)
Old 28th January 2009, 09:32   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
This is one more for DDIS
Car in question is Dzire ZDi
For those who dont want to open the excel sheet. Thats an average F.E of 17.3km/l with the F.E going up with the driver driving the vehicle

Now Who was the one who never liked to give their car to the Driver
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (208.8 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by gemithomas : 28th January 2009 at 09:41.
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:33   #148
Senior - BHPian

For the last 7000 kms or so, I have been getting the following FE on my Palio Multijet

City
Best: 19.3 kmpl
Worst: 14.7 kmpl
Average: 17.6 kmpl

Highway:
Best: 20 kmpl
Worst: 18 kmpl

Highway FE could have been better, primarily because of hills and because of being over 2000 RPM most of the time.
Old 15th August 2011, 22:15   #149
BHPian

Re: MJD vs DDIS vs QuadraJet - On the Road F.E Test.

Hi Guys,

Calculated my first FE on tank full to tank full basis.

I'm getting 16.6KM/Litre for a DDIS engine.
I'm upshifting at around 1800RPM, sometimes i'm upshifting at 2200RPM.

I'm bumper to bumper traffic. my cars moves only with the clutch, i do not use the accelerator pedal. Is this okay? considering this engine has a lot of Troque.

I'm using BP normal diesel, should i switch to IOC normal diesel?
Old 16th August 2011, 07:48   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: MJD vs DDIS vs QuadraJet - On the Road F.E Test.

There is one thing i just noticed. Maruti recommends a tyre pressure of 36psi for normal laden Ritz DDiS. I guess this is one of the major reasons for the DDiS engine giving higher F,E figures compared to others. I dont think any other manufacturer recommends such high pressures as normal.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks