Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 01:46   #106

fuel economy update - Palio MJD

The odometer is at the 15000 mark and my Palio SDX - MJD has been showing a steady increase in Fuel economy.

In Gurgaon / Delhi city driving, it returned 21 kmpl. Yes, thats without AC.

This was measured tankful to tankful , over 700 km.

Not too bad eh ?
Old 24th November 2008, 11:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

For faster braking, I am shifting into neutral and only then fully braking (think stupid pedestrian who crosses ONLY at a lane repair section) on the expressway. In gear, there is lack of engine braking and below a certain speed (say 60 for 5th), the car's tremendous low end torque resists braking well and truly.

Getting good mileage, but wondering if there are better solutions?
Old 25th November 2008, 10:25   #108
BHPian

MJD runnig-in >>> very 1st 430kms >>> 22.63kms/l

Hello All,

During the running in my PALIO SDX has returned me an FE of 22.63kms/l. ( Tank full to tank full [ auto cut ] )

I kept the revs strictly below 2000 for the first 300kms and the next 130kms i upped the revs upto 2200.

3 cheers for Palio MJD cheers: cheers: cheers:
Old 25th November 2008, 11:10   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
For faster braking, I am shifting into neutral and only then fully braking (think stupid pedestrian who crosses ONLY at a lane repair section) on the expressway. In gear, there is lack of engine braking and below a certain speed (say 60 for 5th), the car's tremendous low end torque resists braking well and truly.
The braking effect of gear is only up to the point where the ratio is too low for the rpm, so thats natural.

Quote:
One thing to follow is a gradual acceleration every time you slow down or start from rest this is a major gas guzzler zone of operation.

I consistently get about 20kmpl in city without a/c
Old 28th November 2008, 16:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

The System D effect on MJD

I was consistently getting 14.5 - 16 kmpl in the city (because I face really bad traffic-- at times I drive 6 kms on exclusively 1st and 2nd gear).

After my oil change at 11000 kms (recommended service after 7500 kms is 15000 kms), the mileage figures have improved considerably. It increased to 18 kmpl after the 11000 km oil change

Today it gave 19.4 kmpl after using my first tankful of System D. It was a cycle with 35% good roads (Gurgaon expressways and NH-8) and 75% of the regular terrible traffic). In earlier times, I would have achieved at best 16 kmpl in such a cycle.

(P.S. the only change is that I have stopped using the AC, but I doubt if the AC can affect mileage to the tune of 3 kmpl... so I assume its the System D and the "run-in" part.)

Last edited by architect : 28th November 2008 at 16:43.
Old 28th November 2008, 17:11   #111
BHPian

Most of you here seem to have a fair amount of highmay travel,so what exactly is the F.E of the MJD in start-stop city conditions with 100%AC?Autocar gives it at 12 is it so low?
Old 28th November 2008, 17:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Most of you here seem to have a fair amount of highmay travel,so what exactly is the F.E of the MJD in start-stop city conditions with 100%AC?Autocar gives it at 12 is it so low?
Well, I have seen a fair bit of those days. It could be as bad as twelve in the worst conditions. I would say 13-14 kmpl is more like it. My worst city runs gave me 14.xx kmpl (which is about 60% bumper to bumper).
Old 28th November 2008, 22:20   #113
BHPian

dont go by the FE given by the auto mags. i have never seen them make accurate estimates ever. as per their estimates, NHC gives not more than 10kmpl in town, Indica V2 13kmpl and so on and on and on...
Old 29th November 2008, 12:40   #114
BHPian

My palio Multijet is returning 20-21 after third service
This is without A/C and in city conditions
Have driven around 17K till now
Old 1st December 2008, 10:47   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
That is because Autocar testdriver never ever drove a manual shift before...

anyways never trust Automags they are not very much above gossip magazines anyway.

i have got 12 kmpl (100% AC all city driving) on my multijet when it was brand new and i dint know how to shift the gears.

Once you can drive a manual properly you get around 14 to 15 minimum 100% city 90% AC (ac switched off when it gets too cold inside the car even when running in minimum); that is what i get these days (after second service)

If you think you drive properly and get less than 14 take the car to the service station and ask those guys to check it out.

I had Mr Babu from Greentracks look at my car and he reported almost 15 (without using 5th with 50% ac) So my car was fine i changed my driving. One unanimous feedback i get with most petrol drivers who drive my car is the MJD requires Gas Pedal to be press almost as hard as clutch plus the gear ratios need some learning.

Moral: If you are used to a petrol MJD will not give the best mileage
Old 1st December 2008, 16:17   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
In my humble opinion -
I read some where on TeamBHP that 3rd gear ratio is 1.8 and 4th is 1 on palio, this means you are buring almost twice as much fuel on 3rd as you are on 4th at the same speed!!!

also note that between 4th gear ratio 1 and 5th's is .8 not much difference

Ok i just realized this RTFM error (Read The <bleep> Manual)
The Palio manual clearly gives the gear ratios (and max speed in each gear)
3rd is 1.4xx
4th is 1.0xx
5th is .77xx

so i eat my words... if you are driving around on 3rd you can get excellent economy. 5th will get you the best but for good FE dont try accelerating in 5th unless you are already at 70-80.

Oh and yes i would like to modify the last line of my previous post i realize it looks a little odd.

Moral: If your are used to a petrol, when you drive an MJD, for better FE be prepared to change your driving style (how much you step on the gas (increase) and when you change your gears <a little later than usual>)
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Moral: If you are used to a petrol MJD will not give the best mileage
Quote:
Moral: If your are used to a petrol, when you drive an MJD, for better FE be prepared to change your driving style (how much you step on the gas (increase) and when you change your gears <a little later than usual>)
Ah! I prefer former.

I was getting 12.XX/13.XX/14.XX in city. These days I am not checking the mileage, coz of the varying traffic conditions. It usually takes 1.5 to 2 Hrs for me to commute to office (arnd 24km) and sometimes i reach in 30-45 mins. And I realized there is no point in checking the city mileage (at least in my case).
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:09   #118
Senior - BHPian

yeah, to avoid counting pennies is the reason one buys a diesel
Old 8th December 2008, 13:12   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
For faster braking, I am shifting into neutral and only then fully braking
Phamilyman, this seems to be a serious compromise on the braking ability of the car. As a matter of principal, never shift over to neutral before braking. Either shift down to lower gears while you are braking or at the least, brake with the grears on and apply the clutch only just before the engine tends to cut-off. You will definitely enjoy a better bite from your brakes and your brake linings are going to give you a longer life span.

Drive safe.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:49   #120
rippergeo

Why are we,The Multijet/DDiS freaks, all obsessing on the mileage here? Imagine what the petrol drivers must be thinking reading the posts in this thread. For eg- I'm getting only 17kmpl in the city with 100% AC how can I get more.....Lol this thread is hilarious.

At the moment, I'm enjoying the price cut and tearing up my commute route.
Turbo whine, 2k whoosh, torque steer, the works. Enjoy the drive guys, thats whats this engine is for.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks