Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 15:17   #121
Senior - BHPian

System D - No or Go?

I used System D for two tankfuls, and my F E improved by 1-2 kpl.

However, I checked with the Fiat ASC where they DO NOT recommend anything but Regular Diesel. Apparently, it harms the injectors and FIP. So system D is out as of now, and the bottle has been donated to a deserving Swift D owner from this forum.

However, curious to know that if it's okay for Swift Diesels, why not for Palio MJD? And I have heard that Tata DOES NOT recommend System D for it DICOR range. Anybody?

And as Ripper said, why are we bothered about 17 or 19. Just enjoy that turbo!
Old 8th December 2008, 15:23   #122
BHPian

DDiS now run 35K+
City: 15.5 - 16 kmpl
Highway: 18 - 19 kmpl (100% ac, gearshifts at 2000-2500 rpm range, don't usually go beyond 100 kmph)
Old 8th December 2008, 16:19   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Why are we,The Multijet/DDiS freaks, all obsessing on the mileage here? Imagine what the petrol drivers must be thinking reading the posts in this thread. For eg- I'm getting only 17kmpl in the city with 100% AC how can I get more.....Lol this thread is hilarious
but admit it...all of us have gone for this diesel engine mainly for the mileage... torque is a bonus!
Old 8th December 2008, 16:24   #124
Senior - BHPian

please, you could've well bought the Indica DLE in that case. I bought it for the whole package!
Old 8th December 2008, 17:27   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
but admit it...all of us have gone for this diesel engine mainly for the mileage... torque is a bonus!

No way I bought my DDiS for the Torque and Torque only !! My commutation is less than 1000km a month but I was just bowled over by the performance of this car.

My stats :-

IOC Normal Diesel

15-16.5 in city ( 100%-0% A.C.)
23 in Highways ( Speed between 80-100 , A.C on 70-80%)

However in my case I found that using Premium diesel increases my mileage by 1-1.5 kmpl and lower engine noise, but apart from that one time I have always used Normal Diesel.

My friends DDiS gives 19kmpl but again he has stock tyres and a sedate driving style. Me, I like to rip whenever i get the opportunity. To hell with speed limits .....
Old 8th December 2008, 19:14   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.kk View Post
No Matter which one wins, Its Fiats win for its refined engine. The FE can vary from car to car due to its Aero Dynamics, Load, Tyre pressure, weather conditions, Type of Fuel, the way one drive and also in the way they check FE.

Having possibility of somany delta, I dont think comparison is fair.
We are missing an important factor here. In Swift D both 4th and 5th gears are overdrive , where as Palio has 4th gear ratio 1.0 and only 5th overdrive. this gives advantage to swift in FE over Palio.

-Sanju
Old 9th December 2008, 18:14   #127
BHPian

I upgraded from a Maruti 800 to Palio MJD and it was a welcome change indeed,similar fuel economy on diesel however torque,solid build quality and power are bonus
Old 9th December 2008, 20:10   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
We are missing an important factor here. In Swift D both 4th and 5th gears are overdrive , where as Palio has 4th gear ratio 1.0 and only 5th overdrive. this gives advantage to swift in FE over Palio.

-Sanju
Petrol Palio's have overdrive on 4th and 5th gears. Not sure why it was not made available in MJDs though.

Might be FIAT don't want its horses to have 25+ kmpl
Old 10th December 2008, 09:26   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post

-Sanju
I know its out of topic but just a one line on what is overdrive? I never erally undesrtood that. HAve heard that the S10/GTX had 4th adnd 5th overdrive while others had only 5th as overdrive. How is that determined.
Old 10th December 2008, 09:51   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I know its out of topic but just a one line on what is overdrive? I never erally undesrtood that. HAve heard that the S10/GTX had 4th adnd 5th overdrive while others had only 5th as overdrive. How is that determined.
S10 came with 5th as over drive and GTX/1.6 Sport came with 4th and 5th as overdrive.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:19   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
overdrive refers to a gear in the transmission that has a ratio of less than 1:1, for example, .83:1. the drive gear is bigger than the driven gear, making it spin faster than the drive gear, increasing your fuel efficiency.

-Sanju
Old 11th December 2008, 11:20   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUM View Post
Phamilyman, this seems to be a serious compromise on the braking ability of the car. As a matter of principal, never shift over to neutral before braking. Either shift down to lower gears while you are braking or at the least, brake with the grears on and apply the clutch only just before the engine tends to cut-off. You will definitely enjoy a better bite from your brakes and your brake linings are going to give you a longer life span.

Drive safe.
Your theory is correct, however in the case of the Swift DDIS, it depends on the Engine RPM while braking. Incase, you downshift and hit the 2000 plus rpm, that activates the turbocharger which gives you a further boost and actually involves the brakes to work harder. I think this has been discussed somewhere in the forum.
Old 15th January 2009, 17:54   #133
BHPian

Braking is like tradeoff between stability and workdone by brakes to stop the car.

If we brake the running which is in gear and without pressing a clutch then you get some confidence while braking. And braking is also effective in this case. Because engine power and brakes work hand in hand to stop the car.

But when you apply a brake by pressing a clutch or making car neutral then brake only has to bear all the pressure of stopping car. In this case you will not feel confident while braking.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 15th January 2009 at 17:56.
Old 15th January 2009, 18:13   #134
BHPian

I have done 1500 odd kms on my Swift VDi and the best Milage I have managed is 12.5 and worst of 9 being the first one (Tank full to Tank full). I still have to calculate the milage after first service.

My daily drive includes one of the worst patches in the city and sometimes take me 45 mins to travel 7 kms. But I was still expecting better milage hope it improves on the next fill.
Old 15th January 2009, 19:48   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Your theory is correct, however in the case of the Swift DDIS, it depends on the Engine RPM while braking. Incase, you downshift and hit the 2000 plus rpm, that activates the turbocharger which gives you a further boost and actually involves the brakes to work harder. I think this has been discussed somewhere in the forum.
I am not sure whether I am speaking rubbish but what I feel is when you shift down and and brake simultaniously, the rpm goes up momentarily but since you are not accelerating the engine starts slowing down and with the clutch still in an engaged position, slows down the wheels. The brakes work on top of it to give you that extra bite and feel of confidence. I have been using this method since my motorbike days which happens to span over 10 years now and have got habituated to it. In fact I don't feel good while driving in US because of the automated transmission. You tend to over use your brakes. In case of a manual transmission, say on a wide turn, you may not need to brake atall. You can perhaps shift down to 4th or 3rd gear and take the turn and the car is ready to zoom off after it comes out of the turn since the rpm is right to accomodate the higher gear. Try it out and I can assure you that you will start enjoying your driving style. But please dont try to overdo it in the begining..

Drive safe always,
SOUM
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks