Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 22:50   #1951
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Manual Civics have poor initial acceleration below 1000 RPM. That might have forced many owners/drivers to step on the accelerator while the clutch was still engaged - to prevent stalling in peak bumper to bumper traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
In urban traffic a certain amount of holding the clutch is unavoidable, but riding the clutch can still be kept to a minimum with some planning. You don't need the clutch at 7 kmph and above. At 6 there'll be juddering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I can fully relate to the shudder you mention. It just shakes the entire car and thats quite frustrating.
I find this strange. Cars with manual transmission will shudder at very low speeds. At that point clutch riding is inevitable.

Does the Civic shudder even in the first gear?

As I have mentioned before, I test drove manual Civics before settling on an AT. The test drives were on normal roads which had b2b traffic. Found nothing unusual at low speeds.

Last edited by dot : 17th June 2011 at 22:51.
Old 17th June 2011, 23:12   #1952
Senior - BHPian

I haven't felt any shuddering issue as such. Whatever little might happen is due to incorrect clutch modulation on my part.
Old 18th June 2011, 07:27   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Did you get it ousiede Honda A$$? I had the impression that Honda insists on changing the discs!
My first choice was to change the discs. But they didn't have it in stock. And they did offer to get the discs skimmed at an outside lathe. But they wanted the car with them for 2 days, which I couldn't afford to do. I got it done yesterday at an outside workshop.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:20   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! had no clue that the manual civic was such a chore to drive in peak traffic.
it's cool how many of you have developed your own indigenous ways to tackle the issue though.
*Update on Shell fuel Consumption*
So far the consumption is in line with expectations. It was lagging behind till yesterday, took a little city stretch which had some 4 lane roads mixed with single laned narrow side streets et all. And right know consumption seems to be break even with when i will up from BP. Still quite a bit of fuel left though to complete the test. Will update once i reach that level.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:28   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
I find this strange. Cars with manual transmission will shudder at very low speeds. At that point clutch riding is inevitable.

Does the Civic shudder even in the first gear?

The test drives were on normal roads which had b2b traffic. Found nothing unusual at low speeds.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my earlier post.

The engine (and consequently the car of course) shudders at speeds of <= 6 kmph in 1st *if* you try to control it using only the brake and without engaging the clutch.

Obviously if you use/modulate the clutch at those low speeds there is absolutely no shuddering/stalling.

What I was trying to say was that in an effort to minimise clutch riding I try to maintain a gap and maintain at least 7 kmph but if someone else gets into the gap and I have to brake suddenly, there is shudder if the right foot does its job faster than the left. I prefer it that way. The car is so "light" (for lack of a better word) and low-friction that if the left foot reaches first the car just zooms forward and there is z chance of rear-ending the guy who just occupied the gap. Better brake hard and shudder (occasionally) instead .

At idle on a level road with a fully warmed-up engine the Civic does 7 kmph with all feet off. In 2nd I think it's 12 kmph.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 13:07   #1956
Senior - BHPian

In my car, the shudder is quite evident at very slow speeds say < 5kmph when I try to synchronize the clutch and the throttle. It happens even when I move from standstill unless I accelerate a bit more and simultaneously release the clutch. This shudder is also present while reversing the car out of my home through the driveway at speeds < 5kmph.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 15:05   #1957
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My first choice was to change the discs. But they didn't have it in stock. And they did offer to get the discs skimmed at an outside lathe. But they wanted the car with them for 2 days, which I couldn't afford to do. I got it done yesterday at an outside workshop.
Makes sense. Normally they want to only change the discs at every pad change, a total waste. As long as then are thicker than the specs, skimming is perfectly fine.
Old 18th June 2011, 19:24   #1958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen
In my car, the shudder is quite evident at very slow speeds say < 5kmph when I try to synchronize the clutch and the throttle. It happens even when I move from standstill unless I accelerate a bit more and simultaneously release the clutch. This shudder is also present while reversing the car out of my home through the driveway at speeds < 5kmph.
Oh yes. You really have to gun the throttle to get a smooth start. But I fear that will wear out the clutch. It's like being in between the devil (shudder/stall) and the deep blue sea (clutch wear).

There is this fine balance which I now achieve but not 100% of the time as I said earlier. For instance I cringe whenever I go over railway crossings especially during and immediately after the monsoon. There are vehicles immediately ahead and behind and climbing each rail requires an extremely generous dose of gas while riding the clutch.

I too have not mastered the reverse gear. It is a bit too tall for my taste. It's definitely more than 7 kmph at idle in reverse. So I ride the clutch always while reversing.

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th June 2011, 21:33   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Is there any way one can tell how much a car has travelled besides the odometer reading.The used civic that i am considering buying has done ~36500 kms and is in good shape externally ie the body,paint etc are in quite a good condition along with the tyres but some of the interiors have faded eg the steerng horn button, audio controls and the parking brake have faded exteriors.

Could the car have clocked more than it shows on the odo.I have read it's possible to clock back the civic's odo by certains means.

thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 23:45   #1960
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Could the car have clocked more than it shows on the odo.I have read it's possible to clock back the civic's odo by certains means.
Two ways to check.
1. Service history. You can see the last service record and tally with the current odo reading.

2. What I understand, if Civic's odometer is tampered then the engine check light comes on.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 00:31   #1961
BHPian

@sumeet

Little bit interior fading here and there is fine with civic if the car is Used by chauffeurs as they are generally careless.

I too got my used civic with little blackness and scratches on the power window console and theres some fadding on steering leather and H logo on steering too its absolutely fine.

Just get the car checked at official Honda dealer and also tell them specifically to check for any tampering.
Normally the stock tires last till 42k or so. If driven very cautiously then maximum of 50k.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 16:55   #1962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello,

Is there any way one can tell how much a car has travelled besides the odometer reading.
======

thanks
One of the best ways is to check for the tyre manufacturing date, it should be matching the manufactured month of the car. There should be some marking on the tyres telling date.
Old 19th June 2011, 20:19   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
What I understand, if Civic's odometer is tampered then the engine check light comes on.
If this is true, then nothing like it. And yes, if the engine check light does come on, there are ways to make it go off as well.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:51   #1964
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
If this is true, then nothing like it. And yes, if the engine check light does come on, there are ways to make it go off as well.
This is where I had read about it before.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post1411091
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 10:14   #1965
BHPian

A friend of mine is intending to pickup a 2007 make, 2008 registered V-AT with 28k on the odo for 6.8L (Looks like a steal for Bangalore market). The tyres look good for another 5k atleast and the service history has nothing major on it but there has been a windshield replacement in 2008 according to the owner (done outside A.S.S). Not sure if there was an accident. But other than that no major parts replacement. Apart from the minor dings here and there, the car looks clean and drives well too. One thing I noticed is that when the car starts up, the engine noise is similar to that of a diesel for a second or 2 then quietens. Not sure if this is normal.
The present owner has had the car transferred from his company to his name, now my friend will end up as the 3rd owner.

Question is, is it advisable to go for the car given that the windshield has been replaced (Current one is Garware and doesn't look as nice as the stock). The owner claims a coconut fell on the glass .
Will the value depreciate, considering my friend will be the 3rd owner of the vehicle.

The price seems very attractive though.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks