Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 11:51   #2056
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Thanks smartcat, I would agree that the problem is not the windscreen.
I am also leaning towards the door beadings or as Sandeep mentioned, the door patti.

Taking the car to my mechanic tomorrow. Will get to know the truth.

Spot on Sandeep! I would concur with what you said. I haven't noticed any water streams from the door but then I haven't been looking too closely at my car in the past few days/months.

Thanks guys...
Thanks. The thing is if one uses the car regularly, during the running the water drains out without you noticing. I do not even bother opening the rear door to let out the water. Over a couple of hours it drains out and I see a puddle on the ground. The day it does not drain out, I need to worry and clean out the door drain holes.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:13   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I see this on my still relatively new car every time I wash it. In fact immediately after the rinse I leave the doors wide open for around 30 mins to let all the water drain out and then I thoroughly clean the door undersides. (If I don't do this water slowly drips and because we use bore water it leaves behind ugly deposits when it dries - not good at all on a black car).
I see this in my car too, but I guess this will be seen in most cars. The door patti/felt is just about capable of blocking the water from damaging the window sliders and power windows mechanism.

Quote:
That said some water still remains. When I operate the windows after the wash, they roll up with a sheet of water on them. The residual water disappears after a couple of roll-ups.
Ditto for me too. I usually do a couple of roll ups/downs and wipe away the water.

Quote:
So I think Hiren's problem is the rubber beadings around the doors or clogged drain holes. I've noticed that the beadings come off *very* easily. I need to be super-careful when I'm drying the door undersides and inside surfaces after a wash. If the drying cloth "catches" the beading it comes off!
I've noticed this too and was suspecting the door beadings as the culprit but that was not the case. The problem is elsewhere.

Quote:
Wow! You've got to give it to Honda. Are these pattis imported from Japan or what? And I've also heard that the rubber beadings tend not to be in stock (all the more reason to think that even the rubber stuff is imported). This just means I've got to be extra careful during the drying stage.
One more case of face palm for Honda. If these are imported then they are not suited to Indian conditions at all. And whats stopping them from sourcing them locally? I'm sure our component industry is quite capable of matching Honda's quality standards which I am beginning to feel are too too high anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
From my old city days, honda rubber parts have always been quite expensive and what is worse, they do not last as much under Indian conditions.
Exactly, I got my 16 years Esteem painted a couple of years back and thats when I had to change the rubber beadings on the door.

Took the car to my mechanic at 9:00 AM this morning. He was not around but I was so impatient to get to the root of the problem that I removed the plastic cladding near the front passenger door sil. And I saw water, not much but it was there. The sound deading material was quite soaked with water as well. Took it out and rinsed it thoroughly.
I checked the door beadings for tell tale signs of water seepage, but it was totally dry.

Then my mechanic came along and we did some tests. After rolling up all windows and locking the doors, water was poured on the roof near the B pillar. No water came in, then near the C pillar - again nothing came in the car. Tried the same near the A pillar and windscreen; lo and behold a steady stream water albeit very fine was rolling in near the left corned of the firewall. We poured some more water and confirmed that water was indeed coming in.

Now had to determine the source. So opened the bonnet but could not see anything suspicious. Then after some back bending realised that sheet metal beneath the wiper shroud just behind the engine has rusted and water was going in through it. My heart sank and this is one hard to reach place. The entire dashboard needs to be opened and then the rust needs to be cured.

I've taken just a few pics pic but not not much can be seen from it
First image: This is after removing the plastic shroud near the door sill.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imag0265.jpg
Second image: The sound damping material
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imag0267.jpg
Third image: Rust formation can be seen bang in the center.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imag0268.jpg

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 10th July 2011 at 12:28.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:28   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've noticed this too and was suspecting the door beadings as the culprit but that was not the case. The problem is elsewhere.

One more case of face palm for Honda. If these are imported then they are not suited to Indian conditions at all. And whats stopping them from sourcing them locally? I'm sure our component industry is quite capable of matching Honda's quality standards which I am beginning to feel are too too high anyways.

Exactly, I got my 16 years Esteem painted a couple of years back and thats when I had to change the rubber beadings on the door.

Took the car to my mechanic at 9:00 AM this morning. He was not around but I was so impatient to get to the root of the problem that I removed the plastic cladding near the front passenger door sil. And I saw water, not much but it was there. The sound deading material was quite soaked with water as well. Took it out and rinsed it thoroughly.
I checked the door beadings for tell tale signs of water seepage, but it was totally dry.

Then my mechanic came along and we did some tests. After rolling up all windows and locking the doors, water was poured on the roof near the B pillar. No water came in, then near the C pillar - again nothing came in the car. Tried the same near the A pillar and windscreen; lo and behold a steady stream water albeit very fine was rolling in near the left corned of the firewall. We poured some more water and confirmed that water was indeed coming in.

Now had to determine the source. So opened the bonnet but could not see anything suspicious. Then after some back bending realised that sheet metal beneath the wiper shroud just behind the engine has rusted and water was going in through it. My heart sank and this is one hard to reach place. The entire dashboard needs to be opened and then the rust needs to be cured.

I've taken just a few pics pic but not not much can be seen from it.
  1. First image: This is after removing the plastic shroud near the door sill.
  2. Second image: The sound damping material
  3. Third image: Rust formation can be seen bang in the center.
Ooops this is very bad. I am also near a bad zone and if this has started rusting, I too may soon have this problem. Generally I have a roof over the car, so not too major a problem, but for others who are parked in open, it can be major problem. The wet carpet smell takes ages to air out too.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:32   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ooops this is very bad. I am also near a bad zone and if this has started rusting, I too may soon have this problem. Generally I have a roof over the car, so not too major a problem, but for others who are parked in open, it can be major problem. The wet carpet smell takes ages to air out too.
Yeah it looks bad. You're right I was just wondering how I going to dry out the carpet and the foul smell.

Anyways the seats will be removed, so I am thinking of getting all the seats out of the car, remove the carpet vaccum it and blow dry

My other concern is removal of the dashboard, I will be taking a day off from work when this is being done. Its not that I don't trust my mechanic, I am just worried about the airbags and the sensors in the dashboard.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:44   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it looks bad. You're right I was just wondering how I going to dry out the carpet and the foul smell.

Anyways the seats will be removed, so I am thinking of getting all the seats out of the car, remove the carpet vaccum it and blow dry

My other concern is removal of the dashboard, I will be taking a day off from work when this is being done. Its not that I don't trust my mechanic, I am just worried about the airbags and the sensors in the dashboard.
Tough call. I would let the Honda guys do it. Especially because of the dashboard.

Drying out is ok, a few days of sun should take care of it. You may be better off using a hot air dryer (if your wife does not complain).
Old 10th July 2011, 13:36   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_joseph78 View Post
Just bought a Honda Civic S-AT 2006 Oct 38000 KM. Red Color.

There are scratches around, interior needs thorough cleaning, mat have go for new seat covers and trims. Tryes needs replacement in another 2K. Battery is one year old.

I have given the car for 40K service, external polishing and interior shampoo wash. Estimated cost is 15K. Will post the details once I pay for the service.

Plans for coming months:

- New seat covers and trim.
- New tyres
- Front speaker upgrade

~Manoj
HOw much u have paid for the same? also how about insurance was there any claim on that?
Old 10th July 2011, 17:40   #2062
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cannot leak from both windscreens suddenly at once. I suggest you check your door drain holes. The window glass door patti/beading/felt in my car has been shot for some time. As a result, when my chap washes the car and I open the door, I get a steady stream of water through the drain holes falling to the floor.
Everyday brings in some new learning. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

Now had to determine the source. So opened the bonnet but could not see anything suspicious. Then after some back bending realised that sheet metal beneath the wiper shroud just behind the engine has rusted and water was going in through it.
As we were speaking yesterday, I was thinking that there is no way for water to seep inside from the "collector" beneath the wipers. Never thought that part of bottom sheet will give away due to rust.

Rust? In a 4+ year old modern vehicle? Thats atrocious. I know it is Bombay, salt and humidity and all, but still. Question is, how this is going to be repaired. Honda, knowing them, might just tell you that the entire sheet/panel has to replaced. Maybe an aftermarket body shop will have better options.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:00   #2063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see this on my still relatively new car every time I wash it. In fact immediately after the rinse I leave the doors wide open for around 30 mins to let all the water drain out and then I thoroughly clean the door undersides. (If I don't do this water slowly drips and because we use bore water it leaves behind ugly deposits when it dries - not good at all on a black car).

That said some water still remains. When I operate the windows after the wash, they roll up with a sheet of water on them. The residual water disappears after a couple of roll-ups.

This is an issue for me as well. The door sills are very wide/thick and tends to retain water and dirt even though nothing comes inside the car. This makes cleaning the car a pain.Unlike other cars, there is no rubber beadings near the outer edge of the door. So everything goes in between and gets deposited on the sills. The window panes also seems to retain water after a wash.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:17   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
HOw much u have paid for the same? also how about insurance was there any claim on that?
Paid 5.75 lakh + 1 % commission for the car.
The service records didn't show any accident repair other that a rear bumber work. The car had only third party insurance.

Did 40K Servicing ~ Rs. 10000 (includes painting of the silver colored part around the power window switches - 4 Pc)
External Polishing ~ Rs.4000
Interior Shampoo cleaning ~ Rs.1400
Front Brake Pad ~ Rs. 5200
Wiper blades ~ Rs.900
(Breakdown of figures are approx)

Total Paid - RS.21523.

The polishing is very good, almost all scratches other than 2-3 very deep ones are not visible anymore.

Interior Shampoo cleaning was a complete waste of money, it seems the fabric seats are very difficult to clean.

Pending Items:
Tyre change, Seat and trim covers, comprehensive insurance.

~Manoj
Old 11th July 2011, 12:04   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post

As we were speaking yesterday, I was thinking that there is no way for water to seep inside from the "collector" beneath the wipers. Never thought that part of bottom sheet will give away due to rust.

Rust? In a 4+ year old modern vehicle? Thats atrocious. I know it is Bombay, salt and humidity and all, but still. Question is, how this is going to be repaired. Honda, knowing them, might just tell you that the entire sheet/panel has to replaced. Maybe an aftermarket body shop will have better options.
As you said, each day brings a new learning.
Yes, it is atrocious and you know what - I had got a rust treatment done last August. So despite all this I have this problem.

I don't know how Honda is going to repair it as I'm not taking my car to them. Getting it done from my local mechanic. He is saying we can cure the rust but if the damage is too much then I'd rather replace the whole strip (dunno what's it called).

The D day is tomorrow, have taken a day off and lots of pictures from 8thCivic website for this.

Wish me (and my car) luck.

Regards
Old 11th July 2011, 12:07   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Anti-rust treatment does not address these areas.

Anyway all the best and let us know how it goes. If your mechanic is able to do a good job, I daresay many of us may have future need of him.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:54   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Well, I do see a coat of anti rust on it, perhaps I am wrong.
I hope this goes well. Will try to click as many pics as possible.

Edit:
Stumbled across this gem while trying to find what the rusted component is called.
Honda Automotive Parts

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 11th July 2011 at 13:10.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 13:48   #2068
BHPian

I had the front windscreen of my Civic replaced after which I noticed a weird issue. The view from the bottom left side, over a strip of around 1.5 - 2 cm, is a bit hazy. Very difficult to notice though, you have to focus on some specific lines and move your head a bit to notice it first. Apex Honda were promt in replacing it in the next service. However, the new one had the same issue too. That's when I checked in a few other Civics that had arrived for service and they too had the same issue.

Has anyone else also noticed the same issue?
Old 11th July 2011, 14:19   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stumbled across this gem while trying to find what the rusted component is called.
Honda Automotive Parts
Hey, that's a great resource! Thanks for the link.

Over there, the chrome exhaust finisher is 90 USD for a *single* piece. Over here, it's roughly the same for a pair.

Something to feel good about being a Honda India customer, I guess.

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th July 2011, 14:37   #2070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, that's a great resource! Thanks for the link.

Over there, the chrome exhaust finisher is 90 USD for a *single* piece. Over here, it's roughly the same for a pair.

Something to feel good about being a Honda India customer, I guess.

Regards,
spadix
I find that odd, I always thought that it was a one piece unit.
Would the part number mentioned in this website match our Civic part numbers with HASS?

If you look at Front brake parts, the pricing is much cheaper than what Honda India has priced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks