Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 12:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
anup, what is iCAT? sorry for my ignorance.
ALL Maruti vehicles after April 2007 come fitted with this. iCATs stands for 'intelligent car anti-theft system'.
There is a thread running on this and no iCATs fitted car has yet been reported stolen! Thieves are therefore changing over to car-jacking!!
Check it out here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-proof-6.html

And, Raj, changing the code on the keyless entry system is not going to enhance security in any way. These keyless entry systems (also with so-called engine immobilizer) are quite low tech and easy to defeat.

Usually it is just a relay installed in the starter motor circuit, to prevent application of the self starter!
Old 11th December 2008, 12:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
My wife's Wagon R has a label, CAT protectecd, they said the car would not start if any other key is used. When this calibrated key is inserted, the code goes OK in the ECU and ONLY THEN the engine will fire. Even hot-wiring or any other modes of tampering WILL NOT fire this sequence. I don't know how much of this is true, we ended up paying about 6 K extra for this.

Wonder if the iCat is similar?
Ramky, CAT and iCATs are the same thing.
My WagonR has this system. I got a duplicate aftermarket key made and it turns on the ignition but the 'padlock' icon keeps flashing and the car refuses to start!

Last edited by anupmathur : 11th December 2008 at 12:34.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife's Wagon R has a label, CAT protectecd, they said the car would not start if any other key is used. When this calibrated key is inserted, the code goes OK in the ECU and ONLY THEN the engine will fire. Even hot-wiring or any other modes of tampering WILL NOT fire this sequence. I don't know how much of this is true, we ended up paying about 6 K extra for this.

Wonder if the iCat is similar?

I think mechanical gizmos like the gear / steeirng locks are more visible and effective deterrent than electronic gizmos; anyone with a laptop, some wires and the right code can unlock it in seconds.

--Ramky
=========
Righto, iCAT is RFiD based system embedded in the key.

I agree with you no better deterrent than a physical manual Gear/ Steering lock.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
And, Raj, changing the code on the keyless entry system is not going to enhance security in any way. These keyless entry systems (also with so-called engine immobilizer) are quite low tech and easy to defeat.

Usually it is just a relay installed in the starter motor circuit, to prevent application of the self starter!
does that mean we can do nothing to protect our car?
Old 11th December 2008, 12:56   #20
jat
BHPian

How about having Black CATs?

Having a multiple system like gear shift lock along with others will enhance the safety. But as discussed, the thieves are getting smart. They just get some guys from A_S_S involved or use a fellow who was working with their A_S_S to steal vehicles.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Ramky, CAT and iCATs are the same thing.
My WagonR has this system. I got a duplicate aftermarket key made and it turns on the ignition but the 'padlock' icon keeps flashing and the car refuses to start!
That's a relief. Means duplicate keys won't work.

Why did you make a duplicate kay, did you loose one? If so, someone can steal your car with that one?

Assuming you have lost one key, can you get a duplicate key made from Maruti? What would it cost.

I've read the other iCats thread just now, very detailed, but this question was not clearly answered there.

---
Old 11th December 2008, 13:09   #22
BHPian

What system does Hyundai put in Santro. I had ordered the stage 1 type security system. They have installed a Minda HUF system, link below. Is this the "chip in key - Radio frequency thingy"? or is it like the M-hawk system of having a lock code?

Welcome to Minda Corporation Ltd.:Electronic & Mechanical Security Systems,Immobilizers,Window Regulator Electronic Body Controllers For Automotive Industries

I like and will try Mr. Anupmathur idea of getting a duplicate key made and try to start the car.

Members with Minda HUF system,
Kindly let me know how good is this system?

iam also going to try a hidden engine kill switch.

UM
Attached Thumbnails
8 Scorpio mHawks stolen-immobilizer codes cracked!!!-eprod1.jpg  

Old 11th December 2008, 13:29   #23
BHPian

This is one of the high tech features in the Scorpio VLX. Theres more like rain sensing wipers, tyre pressure indicators, etc.
God save who fell for all that gimmick.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
This is one of the high tech features in the Scorpio VLX. Theres more like rain sensing wipers, tyre pressure indicators, etc.
Those are real enough, not gimmicks.

Its just that thieves have become high-tech and are collaborating with people who know these codes, otherwise there no way anyone can crack these codes so fast and disappear.

==
Old 11th December 2008, 13:47   #25
BHPian

Man this sounds scary........,may be the thieves are from M&M or were working with them.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why did you make a duplicate kay, did you loose one? If so, someone can steal your car with that one?
Ramky, I got the duplicate key made for two purposes:
1) To test the iCATs.
2) To enter the car if you get locked out. I got the duplicate made on a flat blank & it sits comfortably in the coin pocket of my wallet which sits comfortably numb in my backside pocket!

BTW, Maruti will give you a duplicate (IF YOU HAVE THE KEY NUMBER) and charge you rs 1200/- or so. Only made for owners, not for just anyone who approaches with serial number!!

Last edited by anupmathur : 11th December 2008 at 13:54.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Read all the posts here with various suggestions. A couple of queries:

1. Can the ECU be removed by unplugging a few or one wire and refitted with ease? Will doing so erase the values fed into it and if so, how & who can reprogramme?

3. Is there someway by which the ECU can be bypassed and the car started & taken away?

How easy and time consuming are the above jobs?
Old 11th December 2008, 14:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
raj, Yes I have personalized the 4 digit immobilizer code.
surya, can you tell me how you changed the code of the immobilizer? i searched the manual and also the DVD, but in vain. you can PM me about this. or just PM me where this can be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
i would suggest you rather use any of these features and then comment buddy!
thanks a ton for your concern anyways.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th December 2008 at 14:38.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Raj,

I personalized the Immobilizer code from the standard factory code at the service station with the help of a supervisor. It needs some basic programming help from the M&M people.
Please call up your workshop lead and he/she shall be able to help you out.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

also, how do we know whats our current immobilizer code? in case the remote packs up and i have to open the door with the key, the alarm will trigger which i can switch off by entering the code only, as illustrated in the DVD.
so how do we know our preset code? what is the standard factory code?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks