Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 19:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

how is that possible vikram? if i have to change the code, i have to reveal it to the person who is doing this job, right?
Old 12th December 2008, 19:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

No, there will be a mechanism in which you will have to enter the code without telling it to them. Just like when you change your atm card pin number.
Old 12th December 2008, 19:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

oh, okay. thanks a lot vikram.
i have 1 doubt: when the scorpio is locked with the remote, it is "armed" as the scorpio DVD says. in other words, the immobilizer is activated. now, according to the DVD, if we try to open the car with the key or by any other means (scorpio even has a shock sensing feature and the amount of shock resistance can be adjusted... mahindra, does this work atleast?), it will trigger the siren. this siren can be turned off only by entering the code by buttons inside the car which the theives claim to know. it will take the theives atleast 30 seconds to do this... till this time, the siren is active, doesnt the siren alert the neighbourhood?
Old 12th December 2008, 19:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Thieves are pretty clever. They will first disable the siren hooter and then do what they do best.
Old 12th December 2008, 19:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

i think its high time M&M should appoint one of these theives in their R&D section.
Old 12th December 2008, 19:39   #66
Senior - BHPian

how about something like this
Demonstration of how to locate vehicle using Beacon | beacon

15k. a stealth install should buy you a day or so to track it before they find out about it
Old 13th December 2008, 15:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
SirAlec, I would be grateful if you could throw some more light on this. Where/what is this RF-ID chip? What exactly does it 'protect'?
Surely it is very different from the (RF-ID based?) iCATs system that Maruti is fitting in every car it produces.?
iCAT may be the brand .

RFID- radio frequency identification.

For more details
Radio-frequency identification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or google it
Old 13th December 2008, 15:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
iCAT may be the brand .

RFID- radio frequency identification.

For more details
Radio-frequency identification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or google it
LOL, is that all?!
After a very authoritative sounding post, is this all the information you can provide?
Quote:
actually it uses a RFID chip, which was hacked before it became mainstream.

I can only thank mahindra for putting this wonderful technology in their scorpio.
First it was wheels falling off without any apparant reason and now this.
I was interested in knowing where the RF-ID chip has been used in the Scorpio.
You have explained what RF-ID stands for!
Old 14th December 2008, 00:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL, is that all?!
After a very authoritative sounding post, is this all the information you can provide?

I was interested in knowing where the RF-ID chip has been used in the Scorpio.
You have explained what RF-ID stands for!
Whats so funny. Google it dude! are you that lazy.
Am I the professor here or what.!!

Ofcourse the RFID are embeded in the keys (don't ask where). it has 48-64 bit encryption key. It matches that with ECU when inserted in the keyhole.
Old 14th December 2008, 10:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse the RFID are embeded in the keys (don't ask where). it has 48-64 bit encryption key. It matches that with ECU when inserted in the keyhole.
Is this what is fitted in the new Scorpios?
And it has been hacked?

Can some mHawk owners please confirm?
Old 14th December 2008, 10:48   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
are the technicians trained enough to do this job?
after i personalize my code, is my vehicle more safe as there have been posts in this thread that mahindra techinicians are helping out the theives!
I don't own a Scorpio or any Mahindra vehicle whatsoever,but reading the thread Title and going through the posts,even I feel that maybe in some way,the Mahindra technicians are involved in this code-cracking business.Maruti sells more vehicles than Mahindra and Maruti cars do get stolen,but not like this.There are maybe sporadic instances of stolen Maruti cars all over India,but now they come with a added feature which is a kind of engine immobilizer,namely the i-CATS. But after this feature was added,how many Maruti Udyog (now known as Maruti Suzuki) vehicles have been reportedly stolen,and that too in a serial fashion?!

I know that i-CATS is just another feature and it may be cracked too in future,if not already done.But then thieves would always come out with ways to continue with their profession and car companies just need to be one-step ahead of them.

My 2 cents.
Old 14th December 2008, 10:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

NO, there is not iCat system or RFID tech in the mHAWK. in other words, there is no chip or RFID embedded in the scorpio's key. it can be found in marutis as many said or the toyota innova/corolla, i have seen!
Old 14th December 2008, 11:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NO, there is not iCat system or RFID tech in the mHAWK. in other words, there is no chip or RFID embedded in the scorpio's key. it can be found in marutis as many said or the toyota innova/corolla, i have seen!
So what do we make of this rather authoritative statement that riles M&M?
Quote:

I can only thank mahindra for putting this wonderful technology in their scorpio.

You guys do need to rectify your quality control for the 9 odd lacs that you ask for these junk.
Seems more like irresponsible off-the-cuff statements. Do these serve a purpose?

It is worth wondering why various manufacturers did not follow the Maruti way, of providing the iCATs in every vehicle they make, regardless of price! This system is being offered by other makers on a selective basis, ie on the expensive models only.
Where is the logic to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
I know that i-CATS is just another feature and it may be cracked too in future,if not already done.
This might happen sooner than we expect!
The Upper India Motorist (AAUI) reports a spurt in ECUs being stolen from cars! Once the thieves have a good supply of various ECUs, they'll get around the iCATs by simply plonking in a new ECU and driving off!

Last edited by anupmathur : 14th December 2008 at 11:41.
Old 14th December 2008, 12:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You guys do need to rectify your quality control for the 9 odd lacs that you ask for these junk.
siralec, no offence meant to you but this post made by you totally indicates your hatred toward M&M, i am not questioning your thoughts in any way, thats your personal choice.
but what you said about the RFID was totally incorrect as scorpio DOES NOT employ this tech. so i basically feel you know little about the vehicle to comment on it. i hope i am wrong!
moreover, wheels falling off... quality control... words like junk... where is this heading to mate? how is all this related to the current issue, which i think is the security system? if you are so sure that its a piece of junk, i am sure you must have had some real bad experiences which i would love to hear in another thread.

Quote:
So what do we make of this rather authoritative statement that riles M&M?

Seems more like irresponsible off-the-cuff statements. Do these serve a purpose?

It is worth wondering why various manufacturers did not follow the Maruti way, of providing the iCATs in every vehicle they make, regardless of price! This system is being offered by other makers on a selective basis, ie on the expensive models only.
Where is the logic to this?
no purpose sir!

maybe its offered only on expensive models because that may justify the high price of the iCAT system . but then maruti offering this in the lower end models raises a question mark...
kudos to maruti...
Old 14th December 2008, 12:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
maybe its offered only on expensive models because that may justify the high price of the iCAT system . but then maruti offering this in the lower end models raises a question mark...
kudos to maruti...
Maruti did something which was expected to put the pressure on all car makers to emulate. Sadly, that did not happen.
Maruti made iCATs standard across the board. I am told that the price increase was kept proportionate to the cost of the car. Very clever, though debatable.
A buyer of an M800, or an Alto is actually getting the iCATs at a subsidised rate!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks