Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 10:17   #226
BHPian

Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

@ Mpower: The twin rear wipers are stock on the Sierra Turbo. Nice set of alloys there. The color is stock (same as on my ride), and unless it has been repainted in the same shade, this car is well maintained, though not exactly "immaculate". The upper tail lamps are not stock, the Turbo comes with 2 color lights, white and red, no amber. These 3 color lights belong to the NA Sierra/ TL. The right lower tail lamp appears faded.

@ sierrakamat: What do you think about the mud-flaps on this one? Are they functional enough?

- Bullitt.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:08   #227
BHPian

OT: The car is from mangalore and is pretty well maintained! I wonder if its in blore on a visit or sold to someone there!

Last edited by james : 27th January 2011 at 11:12.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:37   #228
BHPian

@ condor:

Guess what I found in the T-BHP Classifieds today, a single cab TATA 207 Tatamobile with a white board! And its in Bangy too!

I know you were interested in acquiring one of these a while back, might be worth a look if you're still interested.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...bile-207.html/

- Bullitt.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:55   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

There goes my dream car..

@Bullitt, you break my heart, man !

I already have 2 vehicles for myself and not in a position to get another or give up even one of these.

Some is going to be real lucky. And it's not me :(
Old 27th January 2011, 12:09   #230
BHPian

@ condor: Aww, c'mon! There's always room for one more... After all, opportunity knocks only once. Whats the harm in taking a peek anyway. That is one rare machine, who knows when the next one will turn up? And it ain't expensive either. Live your dream man, live your dream! Only then that avatar of yours will really make sense!

(Hows that for salesmanship? Lets hope the seller offers me a cut if I manage to persuade you into buying his car. )

- Bullitt.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:27   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, forget the seller. If I had got this, I would have myself given you a gift !

I dont see it happening this time. It is indeed a rare one, single-cab, white-board & 2003 only. May be some of our off-roaders should check it out. Possibly make it a TCIC & 4x4, and use it for hauling their supplies to their OTR's.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:37   #232
BHPian

@ condor: Can it be converted to 4X4, considering that the Sierra is unsuitable for the same? I'm guessing the underpinnings of both the Tatamobile and the Sierra are the same, and hence, converting the 207 to 4X4 will be an equally painful job.

If it indeed can be converted to 4X4 without much pain, I think our friend Kaustubh might consider giving it a shot. It won't make a 4X4 "Sierra", but it's close enough. Kaustubh Sir, what say?

P.S. condor, if I were in your position and your situation, I would have picked this up, driven it around for a few days till my appetite for it was satiated, then sold it off again at approx the same price as the acquisition cost.

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 27th January 2011 at 12:43.
Old 27th January 2011, 14:08   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, it should be possible to convert it to a 4x4. Remember - our Italian friends do have the Tata TL 4x4's. The TCIC 4x4 single cab was being exported.

I could have done what you suggested, but I'm not given to giving up my wheels easily. Picking it up would mean conversion to TCIC, giving it a full make over .. something that would have said pride & passion all over.
Old 27th January 2011, 14:58   #234
BHPian

Ah ha! Looks like you are in the same boat as I am! I'm not the type of guy who lets go of my rides easily either, I prefer driving them to their grave myself.

Our dear friend sierrakamat is still wondering why I'm sinking good hard-earned TDS money on the newly acquired Sierra. Perhaps you could help me explain to him the "pride & passion" part.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:24   #235
BHPian

bullit just for the record i have used 5 sierras in the past and spend loads of my hard earned money on them i dont need explainations about the" pride and passion '' part.
its just that i have done those things many moons ago and feel that at this point of time you might land up in a big hole at the end of the journey.
but if you insist on driving to your grave yourself i will gladly give you the final push myself.
Old 28th January 2011, 11:22   #236
BHPian

@ sierrakamat:

Doctorji, aapne to dil pe le liya! Dil pe mat le yaar... After all, why do you think I entrusted you with my ride?

Life is a journey that ends in a hole... in the ground. We're all gonna get there sometime or the other. And don't worry, I'll let you know if my Sierra ever stalls and needs "pushing" (to the nearest garage).

Do post latest pics of my wheels' progress, if you have taken any.

Did you manage to find that elusive and mysterious Sierra?

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a Tata Sierra, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

— Bullitt.
Old 28th January 2011, 14:58   #237
BHPian

Wah.. Famous last words by Bullit !!

Doctor sahib, pls post the pics whenever you get the time. Will be good to see what my Sierra could look like soon. And the shop is the Yoko shop right next to Wasan Ford. You cant miss it.

This week will be spent on repairing the bike so the Sierra will have to wait.

And yes the Alloys are due on the Sierra but since I had not done my tax planning well in advance, I am spending my last cash reserves on investments. Guess the work will have to wait for now.
Old 28th January 2011, 16:01   #238
BHPian

@ Saptarshi: Sorry to hear that the taxman took away your alloys. Hope you get them soon.

@ Kaustubh:

Here's something I spotted in the TBHP Classifieds today, might work for your dream 4X4 Sierra:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...For-Sale.html/

He's even got a 5-speed GB with Transfer Case for sale, separately.

You can find out if these aggregates can be used in the Sierra.

- Bullitt.
Old 31st January 2011, 19:53   #239
BHPian

What a rush!!!

@Bullitt - The 207 is not for me and the DI Trubo engine + GB combo is going for 1.4 lakhs which is SKY HIGH!!!

Here's an update on the Malvan trip I did last week-
1. Started on the 26th early morning and I was not at all confident taking the Sierra for a 1000 Kms trip. After about 50 Kms into the journey, I let her loose on the highway. Dude, you have to believe me when I say that she can cruise all day @100 KMPH. What torque rush. Whoever says the NA engine is underpowered. I am so happy.
The A/C cools nicely but the braking is pathetic to say the least.
2. Reached Malvan in under 10 hours since I was taking it slowly.
3. Went to Shiroda (Goa) the next day and she takes the twisty roads with elan. The steering is a bit vague but I can live with it. Ride quality is OKK (need to check those springs) and she just pulls and pulls and pulls.
4. On my way back, there was a loose connection in the A/C switch and had to travel without A/C. Mind you, without A/C I did 340 Kms in 23 Ltrs of Diesel which is a nice 14 KMPL. And completed the trip in 7 hours flat (400 Kms.)
The brakes have been shot by now and the pedal just goes in without biting.
The wheel bearings have to be replaced and I shall do so ASAP.
The A/C loose connection will be fixed free of cost.
But what a rush!!!! What a rush!!!
Crossed a few Sierras in Kolhapur and their owners wave and smile back in acknowledgement!!

Regards,
Kaustubh
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-167828_196924216984761_100000015511301_777512_4792945_n.jpg  

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 31st January 2011 at 19:56.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:03   #240
BHPian

@ kaustubh: Good to know the beast has given you a great time. The poor brakes and vague steering on the Sierra are well known issues. Do get the brakes fixed though, looks like the system might have sprung a leak.

Do let us know the details of the bearing replacement job, including the brand and cost of bearings used.

The AC issue looks like a blown fuse, common issue in Sierras. It happened to me once. Check the fuses in the box located under the glovebox. Also, shift the number plate downwards and fix it using only the bottom 2 bolts. There are slats behind it in the bumper that feed air to the condensor fan.

Name:  kaustubh sierra.jpg
Views: 4473
Size:  93.8 KB

This Sunday, I and the mechanic went to CST Road market in Kurla to buy some stuff for my Sierra. Man, you gotta see the place to believe it. Any and every car part under the sun can be found there. The only issue is, it resembles a scrap yard, you need to search for things you want.

Nonetheless, it's heaven for Sierra owners like us. The sheer variety of accessories is simply mind-blowing. Horns, fog lights, crash guards, alloys... you name it, and there are hundreds of varieties to choose from. And oh, forgot to mention that just about all the spares for the Sierra can be bought there.

I had a hard time concentrating on the task at hand, was too busy dreaming how my Sierra would look decked up in all those wonderful accessories.

I bought a pair of black (uncolored) Sumo Victa ORVMs for 900 bucks. However, I couldn't find a pair of decent side-steps, due to lack of time. I will surely be visiting the place again for more parts and accessories.

- Bullitt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks