Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 14:24   #121
BHPian

I guess the previous owner of your vehicle had the fogs removed.
Old 27th November 2010, 14:03   #122

I too own a Siera Turbo. One good advice is dont let an A/c guys in Pune do any work on it they all are vey costly and eventually you are not satisfied with the cooling. I am still running the original and have not changed anything except the gas. If you have to do the A/c then go to Unicool in Mumbai (Ghatkopar) they are really reasonable and they do a good job of servicing the parts. The plus point is they dont use local gas they use a small can of Du-pont, and believe me that makes all the diffirence in the cooling. So for a A/c job I highly recommend Unicool. My Sierra cools in 10 minutes flat that too with faded films. Only increase the speed of the blower by making it direct and if necesary fit a blower or fan in the middle, that will circulate the air better. Do not tinker with turbo has no servicable parts. Only have the intercooler cleaned.
Old 27th November 2010, 14:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensam View Post
Only have the intercooler cleaned.
Sierra turbo was (is) having intercooler?? Can you please post a pic of the same in engine bay?
Old 28th November 2010, 10:09   #124
BHPian

i agree the pune guys seem to be making owning and maintaining the sierra for bullit unnecessarily complicated , i have asked bullit to come to mumbai and get the ac and wiring sorted out without undue fuss,but somehow that is not materialising.And yes the sierra turbo does come with a intercooler which is next to the radiator .
Old 28th November 2010, 12:34   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bullitt : Is it possible to use some kind of adhesive to stick the wire lead to the glass?
Try Soldering. It may work. But if can post a pic, we may be able to guide you better.

Quote:
Bullitt : Does anyone know if the rear glass of the Tata TL (with the defogger) fits the Sierra Turbo?
Dont think the rear glass will fit.

Quote:
Bullitt : Also, do the front plastic fenders of the 207 DI fit the Sierra Turbo?
Fender - as in wheel arches ? Or front bumper ?
Old 29th November 2010, 12:01   #126
BHPian

Wow! This thread seems to have suddenly come out of it's comatose state...

@ Kensam:

It's great to see a fellow T-BHPian Sierra Turbo owner on this forum. I was beginning to think that I am the only guy in the entire Pune/PCMC area who owns a Sierra Turbo (Kaustubh_Vaze owns an NA Sierra though, of which I have seen quite a few examples running around).

How long have you owned your Sierra Turbo? What colour is it? Please post pics of your car if possible.Where in Pune are you located? I stay in Wakad, PCMC, close to Dange Chowk and Aditya Birla Memorial Hospital. I would love to take a look at your ride sometime, and also exchange valuable tips/tricks/info with you.

I will heed your advice about the A/C and get it done from Mumbai itself. I was planning to get it done from a local guy near my place, but your words have changed my mind.

As for the Turbo, it is still untouched. I talked to a couple of other mechanics, and they told me the exact same thing as you. The intercooler was cleaned during the initial service after I bought the vehicle. Apparently there was an oil leak where a hose connects to the intercooler at the bottom, leading to a lot of gunk accumulating on the fins. The hose was changed and the intercooler was removed and cleaned with diesel to remove the gunk. Now it's working just fine.

@ Alok:

Here is a not-so-illustrative picture (from one of my previous posts) that shows the position of the Intercooler, though the intercooler itself is not visible.

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-intercooler.jpg

@ sierrakamat:

Glad to see you back online Sir! Please accept my apologies for the undue delay, but it has taken 2 weeks to sort out the broken PS shaft (Rane make) of the car. The guy at Siddharth Motors found it very hard to source the shaft in Pune (he paid a visit to Kurla for it last weekend, where a person gave him a lead to a guy in Pune who had it in stock). Apparently, sourcing an entire PS gearbox is easy, but it costs 32K! He managed to procure the shaft for 5.2K. It has been fitted on the car now, and I will be collecting the car today. I have really missed my beast for the past 2 weeks.

To be honest with you, I was in Mumbai on the weekend of the 20th to attend a family function, but since the bull was still in the workshop (I had the WagonR), there was no point. I was, in fact, carrying the transfer papers with me, but a tight schedule and accompanying family didn't make things any easier, so I didn't give you a buzz.

I will let you know when I am planning my next trip to Mumbai, and hopefully (fingers crossed) I will not run into any more roadblocks henceforth.

@ condor:

I will try and post a good pic of the rear glass (from the inside). I has asked the ASC guy about soldering, but he said the glass willl crack due to the heat.

I'm sorry for the incorrect usage of words, it is indeed the plastic "wheel arches" I was referring to. I have a feeling that the front and rear ones are mirror images (in the sense that the front right one and the left rear one are the same part), but I am not sure. Therefore, I was wondering whether I can buy 2 pairs of 207 DI wheel arches and use them for the front as well as the rear of my Sierra Turbo.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for all the kind responses guys.

- Bullitt.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:52   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Here is a not-so-illustrative picture (from one of my previous posts) that shows the position of the Intercooler, though the intercooler itself is not visible.
Engine layout has not changed much through the years, except for locations of some of the fluid tanks etc.

Quote:
Bullitt : I has asked the ASC guy about soldering, but he said the glass willl crack due to the heat.
A quick solder with a soldering iron that we use in electronics should not cause a problem. The more likely problem I foresee is that the windshield is vertical, and it may be tricky to solder the wire in that vertical position. But an good electronics repair technician may be able to do this.

Quote:
Bullitt : I'm sorry for the incorrect usage of words, it is indeed the plastic "wheel arches" I was referring to.
Suggest you get it fabricated in fiberglass by a body shop guy. There were two types of arches there - the earlier one was more covert, like you see on some Honda CR-Vs. The newer ones really bulged out, like you see on the 207-DI's. But no harm in trying out the arches from the 207 DI before you think of other options.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:31   #128
BHPian

Just my opinion - The Sierra -
1. Looks excellent without any wheel arches
2. OK with the "covert" and "simple" black ones which I have on mine
3. Not so OK with the bulging ones.

Just my opinion. Try and remove the existing ones and see how she looks.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 29th November 2010, 16:37   #129
BHPian

@ condor:

I will ask around and see whether soldering can be done, though I doubt it, because the piece that is missing comes in direct contact with the glass.

The "covert" wheel-arches belonged to the NA Sierras, while the "overt" ones belonged to the Turbo variant. I believe the ones on the 207 DI bulge out even more, in the sense they are even bigger than the ones on the Turbo.

@ Kaustubh:

I have seen the 3 pictures that sierrakamat has posted of a few cars without the wheel-arches, here they are:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2104023-post55.html

I always get the feeling that something is amiss. To me, the car begins to resemble the erstwhile "Tatamobile" (not that it was a bad car, I loved that pickup too).

I agree with you that the "covert" wheel-arches look best on the Sierra with that subtle tone of understated muscle, but hey, the "overt" wheel-arches is the single most distinguishing feature that differentiates the Turbo Sierra from the NA variant (the rear bumper is the other). Besides, it does give the car a "don't-mess-with-me-and-keep-safe-distance-while-you-pass-by" look to the car. I don't want my Sierra to face an identity crisis , and hence the plan to use the 207 DI wheel-arches.

Guys, do keep the creative juices flowing, and keep posting.

- Bullitt.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:39   #130
BHPian

Hey guys,
While refurbishing the interiors, I found that the driver side, internal door opening mechanism is broken and needs to be replaced. I am not able to source it for the Sierra. Any help/pointers will be appreciated.
Will the Tata 207 door opening mechanism be a direct fit for this?

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:07   #131
BHPian

@ kaustubh:

Are you referring to the rectangular latch/lever that is operated for the door to open?

I don't think that part will be hard to source, as there are plenty of old Sumos still running on our roads (don't get any wrong ideas and steal a latch from one of those, thats not what I meant ). As already mentioned, you can check if the 207 DI uses the same latch, since the external latch of the 207 DI is definitely the same one that was used on the Sierra.

Even the Tata Starbus (mini-bus) range and the similar-looking LCV range uses the same external door handle, so I am guessing that they too use the same latch on the inside.

Since all these vehicles are sold by TML's CV outlets, you might want to enquire there. Do not go to Pandit Auto's personal car showroom, they will probably not be able to help you.

If nothing works, let me know. I will PM you the cell number of my local ASC guy, he will try and procure it for you. You will have to pick it up from Chinchwad though.

- Bullitt.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:50   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
@ kaustubh:

Are you referring to the rectangular latch/lever that is operated for the door to open?

If nothing works, let me know. I will PM you the cell number of my local ASC guy, he will try and procure it for you. You will have to pick it up from Chinchwad though.

- Bullitt.
Yeah, the rectangular lever on the INSIDE not on the outside!! Everytime I have to open the door, I have to slide down the windows and open it from the outside!! what a pain!
And if it is available, I can come down to Chinchwad to pick it up or get it fixed. BTW, I also got a new battery installed since the older one conked off.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 6th December 2010, 14:51   #133
BHPian

Hi Kaustubh,
There is one quick-fix, the rear door has a similar latch on the inside, which is practically useless, since that door is almost always opened from the outside (unless you actually use the boot for seating people). Besides, if the rear door has been locked using the key, it cannot be opened from the inside at all, since there is no "unlock" mechanism on the inside (the pop-up lock), and the latch is de-activated. Suffice to say that you can remove that latch and use it on your driver door. For vanity's sake, you can temporarily replace it with the broken latch on your driver door (rather than leaving a gaping hole in the upholstery).

This solution can immediately and temporarily solve your problem. Then you can take your time replacing the broken latch on the rear door, if you wish to do so. Even if you don't, it shouldn't really make a big difference.

Then, in case you are particular about replacing that broken latch on the rear door, I would suggest paying a visit to a Tata Motors commercial vehicle service center. Here are a few I found on their website:

GEORGE OAKES LTD-2081240 ( Only Parts Dealer )
Address : CHANDRASAKHA WAREHOUSE , S.NO.-1, AMBEGAON BK. KATRAJ, PUNE - 411046

BAFNA AUTO ENGINEERING PVT. LTD. ( Full range of CV )
Address : S.NO.34, HISSA NO. 16 KATRAJ DEHU ROAD BYPASS, AMBEGAON (BJK.), KATRAJ, PUNE - 411043

PANDIT AUTOMOTIVE LTD. ( Full range of CV )
Address : TILAK ROAD., PUNE - 411002

If you find it, which I think you probably will, then it will save you a long trip to Chinchwad. Besides, replacing that latch takes hardly 30 minutes, for which you will unnecessarily spend 2 hours commuting to and fro, not to mention the fuel wasted.

If you are not able to procure the part at any of these places, then call up the number that I am sending you via PM. You can give him my reference.

As for batteries, the one I got with the car had a weak cell; it took to the heavens last week when the car was at the ASC for PS work, so replaced it with a new "Tata Green" battery at the ASC itself for 4100 bucks (was too lazy to go around enquiring about brands/prices).

I am currently struggling with the broken latches on my seats. The side latches on both the front seats are broken, and I am unable to slide + fold the seats forward for using the rear seat. I can slide them using the handle under the seat, but that is not enough to allow entry, the seat has to drop forward also to allow access to the rear seat.

I need to get them fixed from someone who has good knowledge about these combi-lock seats (my ASC guy does not, he is willing to go by trial and error, which I don't want). I am planning to visit Balaji Motors ASC in Aundh in a day or two. In case you know anyone who knows how to fix these seats, let me know.

- Bullitt.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:46   #134
BHPian

@Bullitt,
Thanks for that info. I have to do the digging myself. I will find it and fix it.
Why dont you go for new seats? The pilot seat can be from the Innova second row (same mechanism to get into the 3rd row in the Innova) and the driver's seat can be from a Sumo or Safari. Just a suggestion. I need to get mine changed in the near future since the back-rest locking is not working as per expectation.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 9th December 2010, 12:08   #135
BHPian

Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

@ Kaustubh,
I was thinking on the same lines too. But I have some queries.

- Are the Innova seats a direct fit into the Sierra? Is the rail width, pattern of teeth and travel the same? Or do I need to change the rails also?

- Will I have to do any modifications to the car to fit them?

- Where can I find them, and how much will it cost new/used (approximately)?

Do let me know if you are planning to change the seat(s) in your car, we can probably get it done together at a better price.

If the Innova seats suits well, then I would like to fit both the driver and co-driver seats from the Innova itself, since they will match in looks, and allow exit/entry from the driver's side as well.

That brings me to another question. Does the Sierra driver's seat allow entry/exit for passengers, similar to the co-driver's seat? The side latch of my Sierra's driver seat was always broken, so I have no idea about this.

By the way, did you manage to fix that door latch?

- Bullitt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks