Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 19:30   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Conversion of my Sumo to a 4x4 has not escaped my mind, though it is a very slim chance. At this time, it's too fresh to play around with.
Even if there is a possibility for this, I think that executing this plan on a well-maintained car which has not yet started showing its age (my guess for only a few years old car) would mean spoiling or ruining it. Yes, if you have a garbage Sumo, straightly picked from scrap, then... Ok SIR.
Old 9th November 2010, 20:49   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

@mercedised - exactly why I said it is only a slim chance. And definitely not for now. But hopefully, by the time I am ready to do something like that, I hope to find a 4x4 SUV that I will like as much as I like the Sumo - and that way, I wont have to touch the Sumo
Old 10th November 2010, 11:42   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could you tell me, what is the advantage of having one non-AC blower. And where did the superking blower available? Any official website?
@Mercedised - No advantage of having a non-AC blower. Its just that, additional plumbing was made to keep it working along with the newer blower. I guess it will circulate air better than the superking one if both are used in tandem.
As for availability, they should be available with A/C mechanics in your locality. The asking price is from around 5K to 8K for a refurbished one.
No idea how much a newer one costs.

@Condor - Thanks about the info on Tata Recon engines. The site is good but does not give detailed information. I plan to visit one of the service points in my area just to get an undertanding of what can be done.

Regards,
Kaustubh

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 10th November 2010 at 11:44.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:13   #109
BHPian

I'm Back!!!

Hey guys,
(Belated) Diwali Wishes to all of you! Nice to see so many Sierra enthusiasts online at once.

The work on the mechanicals of my Sierra is done, after 18K and a lot of rounds of the garage. The car behaves a lot better now, thanks to the new rubber and the overhauled suspension. Also, the engine feels smoother and refined, specially after I filled up with Xtramile yesterday.

I am now contemplating my next step. One of the things that I would like to do is service the FIP and injectors (as per condor's suggestion). I tried getting it done from the previous place I had been to (Siddharth Motors), but he didn't do it, saying that the FIP was just fine. My guess is that he lacked the expertise to do the job, and so he chose to avoid it altogether. Should I get this job done from an ASC only? Or can it be done outside?

Balaji Motors (another Tata ASC) said the FIP needs to be serviced and "calibrated" (what's this?), for which he quoted 10-12K approx. What other options do I have?

I saw a place yesterday, a few kms away from my house, which sported a "Bosch Service" sign. Any ideas about this? How much do they charge?

Also, the guy at Siddharth Motors said the Turbo does not need to be serviced anytime. It only needs a good clean air filter to function properly at all times. Is this true? Or is there anything I need to take care of in that area?

The power steering of the car is quite vague, and needs getting used to. One thing I noticed is that if I turn the steering wheel in stationary position with the engine running, then the power steering emits a loud grating noise at the extremities. I have noticed this in the morning, when I pull out of the parking lot with a full hard right. I have not caught this noise anytime later while the car is running, even at U-turns.

One more thing I noticed yesterday while waiting in traffic to take a U-turn (full hard right) is that the steering wheel was oscillating slightly back and forth by itself, as if the motor was constantly trying to turn the wheel a little more. Is this normal?

@ Kaustubh:

Read about the A/C upgradation in your car. Do you mean to say that there is now a separate box with vents and an independent rotary switch (like in the picture) under the dashboard?

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-dsc02294.jpg

It rained heavily on Friday, and my car was all fogged up on the inside. That was when I realized (to my horror) that the vent selection switch in my car is broken! I had to manually wipe the windshield with a cloth to see where I was going. What do I need to do to fix this?

@ All:

What stock compressor does the Sierra Turbo run (model number)? The mechanic told me it is a Subros unit, but he didn't know the model number. Is it the same unit that they put in the Safari, the 10PA17C? If so, it is a 170cc unit, which is more than sufficient for this car. Else, I might consider changing it.

I really need to increase the cooling efficiency, and I am considering the option of installing a roof-mounted dual cooling coil system like the Safari in my car. Can the 10PA17C support it? What components do i need to install/change for this? How much will it cost?

The mechanic suggested upgrading the condensor fan from the current 80W one to a 120W fan. He also suggested fitting an additional Tata Indigo cooling coil (refurbished one costs approx. 5K I guess) under the dashboard for more cooling. Your thoughts?

I am in favour of keeping the looks of the car as stock as possible, and hence I am not very comfortable installing things under the dashboard which will look obviously out of place. Hence, I am thinking about the roof-mounted blower. However, if the cost is prohibitive, I will consider more cost-effective options.

Do come up with some great idea guys. Awaiting your responses. Thanks in advance.

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 10th November 2010 at 13:16. Reason: invalid attachment
Old 10th November 2010, 13:48   #110
BHPian

@Bullit,
Yes, My A/C blower is similar to the one depicted in the picture above. It runs on the stock compressor which is a Subros unit. The condenser and the compressor were serviced and reinstalled and it cools the interiors just fine. No need for a compressor change. If you install the blower inside the dash and route it through the regular vents, then there will be 10-20% losses (as per the A/C guy). So we decided to install the blower inside the cabin for better cooling.

Also if your car is running fine, then no need to get the FIP serviced. You can do that at a later date if you feel the need.
All in all, you got a great deal for the 18K you spent.

In my Sierra, there is a leak somewhere near the right front tyre and it leaks red oil. I assume its the brake fluid. Can any of you elaborate what the leak could be?
Regards,
Kaustubh

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 10th November 2010 at 13:51.
Old 10th November 2010, 14:45   #111
BHPian

Hi Kaustubh,
Thanks for the info. My cousin used to own Type-I Tata Sumo in Mumbai (the one I talked about earlier) in which he retro-fitted an AC, since it was a non-AC model. His car had the exact same switch fitted in the dash, but the cold air came through the stock vents in the dash. Even that setup used to cool that huge bread-box on wheels sufficiently (inspite of the 10-20% losses, as you said), so I guess the cooling in your car will be far better. I intend to go window-shopping for AC upgrades, probably this weekend, will keep you posted on that.
The red oil definitely seems to be brake fluid, though it could even be engine oil. Did you take a look under the car to ascertain the source of the leak?
Old 10th November 2010, 17:44   #112
Senior - BHPian

@Vaze- leak could be from the power steering unit.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:05   #113
BHPian

I think the power steering unit is located towards the left of the engine. However, I'm not sure if any plumbing runs through the area that Kaustubh is talking about.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:04   #114
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys. I have not had the time to check on it. Will do so on Friday or this weekend.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 11th November 2010, 16:38   #115
BHPian

Guys,
Does anyone have any idea if the stock wiring looms for the Sierra are still available? Much of the electrical "conveniences" in my car don't work (e.g. cigarette lighter, door warning lights, rear wipers etc.) and the guy at the place where I did mechanical work said that the entire electrical system needs overhauling. The idea he proposed was to cut off all the sockets from the ends of the existing wires in the car and re-use them with entirely new wire only, as some of the sockets are no longer available. Is this the right approach to take? Or is there an alternative?

I found a soft copy of the complete user manual for the Sierra Turbo online, which has wiring diagrams for the power windows, AC and central locking in it. But that's about it.

The manual mentions that the Sierra Turbo came with "fog lamps". There is even a yellow indicator light under the speedometer for this (it has a D-shaped headlight symbol with wavy lines), and a switch next to the steering wheel is supposed to control it (the switch in my car is broken). Anyone has any idea how this is supposed to work? The manual says "The fog lamp operation is coupled with the headlamps." Hows that?

- Bullitt.
Old 11th November 2010, 17:08   #116
BHPian

Quote:
The fog lamp operation is coupled with the headlamps
What they mean is, the fogs will come on only when the parking light / headlight of the vehicle is turned on. Similarly the fog lamps will turn off automatically when the headlamp is turned off.

W.R.T the wiring loom. Why don't you try calling TML's call center? Tata Motors Customer Care :: Home
I'm sure they will try to help out as much as they can. I have had quite a pleasant experience with the call center in the past.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:52   #117
BHPian

Thanks for the info.

I wonder why they gave the switch and the indicator lamp for the fog lights, but missed giving the fog-lights Perhaps they were offered as optional accessories??

From various threads/posts I have read here, it seems that overhauling the complete wiring for the Sierra is a complex task. Therefore, I have a better idea than calling up the TML call centre. I intend to approach an ASC, Balaji Motors in Aundh, for an estimate of the wiring job. If I find it reasonable (unlike the last time), I might get this job done from them. That way, I will have the assurance of a professional job and genuine parts, even if they charge a bit more.

I do not want just any amateur electrician to screw up the wiring of the car, resulting in frequent component failure, especially where critical parts like lights, wipers and power windows are involved.

Let's see how it goes.

- Bullitt.
Old 12th November 2010, 12:24   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, check if the wiring kit of the Victa is similar to that of the Sierra. If this can be used with some minimum modification, then you can look at this option.
Old 12th November 2010, 12:50   #119
BHPian

Bullit, The Sierra I looked at in Bangalore did have fog lamps on a bull bar. This was similar to the old Sierra turbo newspaper ad posted somewhere on the forum.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:21   #120
BHPian

@ condor, thanks for the input.

I was thinking on similar lines, except that I was thinking about the wiring kits of the Sumo Grande/Safari, since these 2 cars also come loaded with those trivial thingies like the door warning lamps, rear wiper/washer etc. I think the Victa does not have these, though I may be mistaken.

The rear defogger on my Sierra has a broken contact lead, though the printed lines are very much intact, since the car was never sun-filmed. Is it possible to use some kind of adhesive to stick the wire lead to the glass? Or do I need to replace the glass? Does anyone know if the rear glass of the Tata TL (with the defogger) fits the Sierra Turbo? Since the TL is a fairly recent (but discontinued) model , I think I should be able to acquire that glass comfortably, but I am not sure about the dimensions.

Also, do the front plastic fenders of the 207 DI fit the Sierra Turbo? I am sure the rear ones do not, but I have a feeling that the rear ones (of the Sierra Turbo) look exactly like mirror images of the front fenders, since the dimensions are quite similar.

In case they are not mirror images, would it be possible to fit plastic side body claddings to the Sierra (a la Safari) and then use the 207 DI rear fenders? Which body claddings can be used? Or is it a better option to make changes to the bodyline of the car to suit the 207 fenders?

@ UG: I guess you are right. My Sierra does have the same bullbar (which has mounts for the fogs fixed on the top horizontal portion), but the fogs are missing. I guess they did offer this bullbar + fogs setup as an optional accessory. Here is the pic you referred to.

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-sierra_ad.jpg

and here is a picture of the bullbar on my car.

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-my-_sierra.jpg

I know I'm probably boring you guys to death with all my questions.

Keep posting.

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 12th November 2010 at 13:33. Reason: new reply

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks