Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 11:04   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is it time to change the Timing Belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
My K10 has done 115K and is almost 9 years old.

The vehicle is in mint condition and no sounds from anywhere. Still on original clutch.
When it comes to timing belts or chain you need to adhere strictly to whatever the manufacturer recommends. So check your owners manual. There is normale of thumb, just stick to whatever the manual says.

By the time you are starting to hear any noises it is way overdue!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:38   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Recently I visited MASS and enquired about timing change replacement costs. To my dismay, they suggested it might not be needed as they haven't noticed any abnormal sounds.

The only way forward seems to insist them to change it.

What should I do? What would be the costs involved and how much time it might take?
I also had a similar experience when I tried to get the timing belt replaced in my i10 after the car turned 10 years old (kms done is <60k kms).

The service advisors are generally not too keen on performing this because it is a time consuming and labour intensive job. The parts may have to be ordered in advance and you may have to leave the car at the service centre for more than a day.

You may need to give some excuse such as "I am planning to go on a long drive and want to get it done for peace of mind".

Since your car has crossed 100k kms, I would strongly suggest you to get it done.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 17:53   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Better to get the timing belt replaced since you have crossed 100,000 kms. Better to be safe rather than being stranded.

In February 2021, I was returning to Hyderabad from Pune in my 4 speed MPFI 800. The car stopped about 50 kms after Solapur just before Naldurg. The engine cranking sound was strange. When I called my mechanic in Hyderabad, he heard the cranking sound on the phone and said that the timing belt was broken. I checked Google and called the MASS at Solapur. They said that they need to tow back the car to Solapur and check. Would have lost a lot of time in towing the car back to Solapur.

I then got a number of a local mechanic in Solapur who also confirmed the problem after hearing the cranking and asked me further details of the car. He came on his bike with his assistant carrying a new timing belt and tensioner. He finished the work in 40 minutes! Was able to reach Hyderabad on the same day.

Luckily for the 4 speed MPFI 800, the timing belt can be changed without opening the engine. The car had done only 65,000 kms however the timing belt would have broken due to ageing as the car was manufactured in October 2007.

Not sure whether the timing belt of the K10 can be replaced without opening the engine or not. If the engine needs to be opened, a broken timing belt could cause lot more damage.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 23:13   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Not sure whether the timing belt of the K10 can be replaced without opening the engine or not. If the engine needs to be opened, a broken timing belt could cause lot more damage.
For K10, Engine Head and side cover needs to be opened. The timing chain cost is ~1300 + any additional parts if needed. The labor cost quoted was ~3000+ without GST. Time needed to repair was 1 full day. Suggestion was, it was not needed, but as per Manual, i remember it needs to be changed at around 1 Lakh or 6 years.

Not sure to what extent any of these details are true.

As the engine would be removed, Thinking of getting the clutch overhaul too. But again, i dont know what would MASS would be quoting.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 07:28   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure to what extent any of these details are true.
The owner's and workshop manual of the 800 mention 100,000 kms for timing belt replacement. So seems like it is a standard for most Suzuki cars. Better be safe and get the work done including the clutch as well.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks