Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2017, 01:49   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is it time to change the Timing Belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
The point I was trying to understand is if there was really a need for these parts to be replaced entirely. It seemed a little over-the-top to me. The parts are not supplied by the ASC, they are supplied by VW. So the ASC gets paid by me for labour and is given the parts complimentary by VW.
As you say, they supplied the parts free of charge, why refuse.

In all honesty, I don’t understand why did not just replace the O-ring. But maybe they just don’t stock it and the only replaceable part is in fact the whole O-ring.

But there is one other consideration and that’s why they also replaced your timing belt. Cooling liquid is very nasty stuff. I refreshed the cooling liquid on one of my cars and my neighbour car. We have to treat it as toxic waste! So it’s kept in separate containers and taken to special disposal facility.

It’s not unheard of that it affect the car’s paint when spilled. Although I can’t see it immediately eating away at your timing belt, it’s probably a case of better safe than sorry from a VW policy point of view. That might be the reason they just replace the whole reservoir rather then an O-ring. They just don’t want to run the risk of any leaks.

Replacing the waterpumps on these engines appears to be done, routinely as part of replacing the belts. Here in Europe you would get a timing belt replacement kit which would include the timing belt (obviously) the idle pulley, tensioner and water pump. And you would always replace the lot. On some models they have changed the waterpump. Earlier models had a plastic impeller, now they are all metal I believe.

As you have experienced, replacing the belt is quite a job. So it makes sense to replace everything in one go, rather then running the risk of replacing one bit and having to rip everything out again 10.000 km later.

Especially true in Europe with much higher labour rates. Replacing the timing belts plus all the other bits cost approx Euro 150-175 in parts and Euro 6-800 in labour. So it makes sense to replace everything in one go.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 14:06   #182
BHPian

I changed the timing belt of my Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI when it was exactly five years old (mfg date, not date of purchase). At that point the car had covered just 26,000km.
Even the Service Advisor at Ford Service Center told me " Since the millage is not too much , you can postpone it till the next service or two."
Regardless, I asked him to have it changed, and I keep the old one in the boot at all times, just in case the new one fails any time. It cost me approx. Rs4,000 part & Labour. Since timing belt replacement is not a job for a roadside mechanic, if you break down in the middle of nowhere, it's worth the expense!!!
Old 30th March 2017, 17:56   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post
I changed the timing belt of my Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI when it was exactly five years old (mfg date, not date of purchase). At that point the car had covered just 26,000km.
Even the Service Advisor at Ford Service Center told me " Since the millage is not too much , you can postpone it till the next service or two."
Regardless, I asked him to have it changed, and I keep the old one in the boot at all times, just in case the new one fails any time. It cost me approx. Rs4,000 part & Labour. Since timing belt replacement is not a job for a roadside mechanic, if you break down in the middle of nowhere, it's worth the expense!!!
I would say you simply wasted the money. The timing belt will survive for 1,000,00 Kms / 10 Years. At least not anywhere close to 26K.

If that is the logic that you follow, you probably will have to replace most of the parts in your car to be in a safer side always

Last edited by balenoed_ : 30th March 2017 at 17:58.
Old 30th March 2017, 18:45   #184
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Changed the timing belt of my Baleno - 2004 model, today.

ODO Reading - 1,21,000 kms
Timing Belt - 1614/-
Tensioner - 616/-
Labour - 1200/-

Old Belt. Though it did not seem like it will break soon, it had symptoms of wear and tear. I feel I changed it at the right time.
I got this done a month back on my 15 year old Gypsy which I bought used.
I don't think its timing belt and tensioner were ever changed in its life even though these are to be changed every 40,000 kms. (My Gypsy has now crossed 1,20,000 kms so you can imagine!)
It was making a sort of a "whoo whoo" whine every time during idling and when accelerating. Instinctively I knew it was the timing belt and mechanism and that got confirmed by a very good mechanic I know nearby - all the other mechanics just fiddled with it and adjusted the timing screw here and there.
But this chap unerringly hit the actual problem and now that its been changed, the vehicle is purring along beautifully.
Such a BIG difference!

The reason I replied to your post, is because the Gypsy King 1.3 16 valve MPFi 's Timing Belt, Tensioner etc is the same as the Esteem and clearly seems almost the same as the Baleno. More or less the same kind of price points too.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 10:03   #185
BHPian

So my 66k run Fluidic Verna Diesel Automatic started making a "katt-katt" sound at idle 2 days ago. It is present at idle and the sound increases as I rev the engine. Popped up the hood to observe where it's coming from, and the first thing I suspected is to be the timing belt / chain.

Left it at Hyundai ASC the next day and asked the chaps to check and give me an estimate for the repairs. Got a call yesterday afternoon that it is indeed the timing belt which needs to be replaced along with some connecting bearing and tensioner. I have received a whopping quote of 58k for the job

Asked the SA to give me a list of the parts that need to be changed and return the vehicle, as I would get the work done outside by a reputed mechanic. I feel 58k is too high, so would prefer sourcing parts from Hyundai and getting labour done elsewhere.

So my question is, isn't this failure premature? Few posts ago someone has mentioned that the manual itself says inspect it at 80k kms. Is the life of the belt / chain shorter in an automatic vehicle?

Also any pointers to a knowledgeable mechanic in Bangalore who can get the job done properly?
Old 8th March 2019, 10:32   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
So my 66k run Fluidic Verna Diesel Automatic started making a "katt-katt" sound at idle 2 days ago. It is present at idle and the sound increases as I rev the engine. Popped up the hood to observe where it's coming from, and the first thing I suspected is to be the timing belt / chain.

Left it at Hyundai ASC the next day and asked the chaps to check and give me an estimate for the repairs. Got a call yesterday afternoon that it is indeed the timing belt which needs to be replaced along with some connecting bearing and tensioner. I have received a whopping quote of 58k for the job

Asked the SA to give me a list of the parts that need to be changed and return the vehicle, as I would get the work done outside by a reputed mechanic. I feel 58k is too high, so would prefer sourcing parts from Hyundai and getting labour done elsewhere.

So my question is, isn't this failure premature? Few posts ago someone has mentioned that the manual itself says inspect it at 80k kms. Is the life of the belt / chain shorter in an automatic vehicle?

Also any pointers to a knowledgeable mechanic in Bangalore who can get the job done properly?
AFAIK, Hyundai diesels come with a timing chain and not a timing belt. Timing chain is supposed to last the life of the engine if the oil changes are done at appropriate intervals. 66K is pretty less for a timing chain to conk off.

I would suggest you take a second opinion from a different service center.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 10:40   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
AFAIK, Hyundai diesels come with a timing chain and not a timing belt. Timing chain is supposed to last the life of the engine if the oil changes are done at appropriate intervals. 66K is pretty less for a timing chain to conk off.

I would suggest you take a second opinion from a different service center.
I have had the engine oil replaced at regular intervals at Hyundai itself until the last time (less than a year ago where it was replaced at an FNG). There were no signs which would lead me to believe there is something wrong with the vehicle. The noise just came out of nowhere!

Will collect the vehicle today and get it checked elsewhere for a second opinion. Thanks!
Old 8th March 2019, 21:46   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like said, the chains lasts very long. Even the timing belts recommended intervals are only around 80K-1L Kms.

You definitely need to take a second opinion especially at an FNG instead of authorised service centers. It would be way cheap even if you have to get it replaced.

I have sometime ago got my car's timing belt replacement done at Sejal Motors, Mahadevpura, Bangalore.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th March 2019 at 21:50.
Old 28th April 2019, 14:24   #189
BHPian

Quote:

I was also having the same issue and got the car checked two days back and was told the timing chain has to be changed. My car has done 85k and I was given an estimate of 30k for the same. So there is something wrong in the quote given to you.
Old 17th June 2019, 10:24   #190
BHPian

I have a 2012 Chevrolet Beat diesel that has run 80,000 KMs. The car is doing good. It has got a bit of lag on low speeds. There is noise on idling that the ASS mentions is due to heater pipe packing wearing out due to age. As per them both of these are not concerning. I feel the suspension to be stiffer than before, esp. the comfort for rear seat passengers. However here also ASS is dismissive. I haven't got anything major done on the car except the suspension replaced about 6,000 KMs ago. I want to keep the car as long as it works (certainly for a year) but also don't want to spend excessive money on repairs or time on its upkeep. So should I ignore these noises

Now coming to my real question, during my last service, the ASS advised me to get the timing belt changed. As per owner's manual, the timing chain is to be replaced at 1,00,000 KM or 6 years whichever is earlier. So it's due for a replacement. However our own review (Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review) mentions "TCDI uses a timing chain and hence, doesn't require a mid-life replacement (like cars with timing belts do)". This confuses me. Should I go for a timing chain replacement or not at this point? I would prefer peace of mind, but don't want to do something unnecessary esp when ASS has given me a quote of around Rs.16,000.
Old 17th June 2019, 12:44   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
As per owner's manual, the timing chain is to be replaced at 1,00,000 KM or 6 years whichever is earlier. So it's due for a replacement. However our own review (Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review) mentions "TCDI uses a timing chain and hence, doesn't require a mid-life replacement (like cars with timing belts do)". This confuses me. Should I go for a timing chain replacement or not at this point? I would prefer peace of mind, but don't want to do something unnecessary esp when ASS has given me a quote of around Rs.16,000.
Always go with what the Manufacturer documentation tell you.

Contrary to popular belief timing chains do wear out as well and do need replacing at some stage. According to your manual it is 100.000 km or 6 years. I would stick to that.

Good luck
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 16:21   #192
BHPian

Hello peeps,

My 2014 Rapid, 1.6TDi is having a coolant leak issue. Upon inspection from a FNG, it is found to be leaking from the water pump. The car has close to 90k kms and I have decided to replace the timing belt along with the water pump. The FNG has quoted 12k in parts and 2k in labor so 14k for the job. Another well known FNG (a bigger one) has quoted me 14k for the timing belt, 6.6k for the pump and 4k as labor; a total of 25k. My usual Skoda ASS (Gurudev) has quoted me 26k for the job, though the part cost is the same as told by the first FNG.

Now, I am in a dilemma. Should I proceed with the FNG, or the Skoda ASS is better for timing belt related work? can a normal FNG handle it, as the rate is almost twice in Skoda ASS?

Members kindly advise.
Old 18th September 2020, 12:03   #193
BHPian

Looking at these pictures does the timing belt kit look worn out?
Attached Thumbnails
Is it time to change the Timing Belt?-20200918_091603.jpg  

Is it time to change the Timing Belt?-20200918_091551.jpg  

Is it time to change the Timing Belt?-20200918_091544.jpg  

Is it time to change the Timing Belt?-20200918_091533.jpg  

Old 18th September 2020, 12:23   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Doesnt look worn out. The groves are very much visible.

https://www.testingautos.com/car_car...o-replace.html

Are the nissan guys forcing you to change it.
SideView is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 12:59   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Why was the timing belt taken out / inspected? If it was just due to be exchanged based on mileage, always replace!

You really should not put a timing belt back on based on visuals. If it shows worn you are way to late! Just because the belt doesn’t show immediate signs of wear doesn’t mean its worn. If there is one tell tale its length! On some cars you can measure it relatively easy.

Timing belts are critical items. On most engines, if they snap you are looking at very substantial damage to your engine. If the engine has already been taken apart, which it appears to be the case here, why would you put an old belt back in? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks