Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 15:05   #46
BHPian

So now that tehre is a discussion about timing belt change and engine types, I would like to ask a foolish sounding query

What sort of engine is there on Maruti Alto, is it interference or non interference and whats the difference between both.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

No idea whether the engine in the Alto is interference or non interference. As for the difference between these terms, read the entire thread. It was explained a few times.
Old 21st April 2009, 03:29   #48
BHPian

Same question...How much does it cost? All inclusive...I am driving a 2004 Alto Lxi with the belt screeching on cold mornings?
Old 21st April 2009, 10:04   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
Same question...How much does it cost? All inclusive...I am driving a 2004 Alto Lxi with the belt screeching on cold mornings?
Screeching sound is not due to the timing belt, it is caused by the drive belt (fan belt), which runs the alternator, AC compressor and coolant pump.

Tightening the belt should solve the screeching sound. If the belt is worn or frayed, have it replaced. The cost should not be more than a couple of hundred rupees for the Alto.
Old 21st April 2009, 10:04   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
the screeching sound is not from the timing belt but from the water pump belt (fan belt). Get that checked.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:50   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Can someone let me know when the timing belt is to be replaced for Skoda Octavia 1.9? Is it 60k or 120k kms? My car has already done 64k in 3years .I tried asking the service advisor in the last service and he said that they change the belt only if it makes some noise??
Hi.....

Even my Octy has done 61000 kms and has completed 3 yrs now... my mechanic has suggested me to get the timing belt replaced... Although there is absolutely no problem with the car it seems skoda strongly recommends that.. Estimate given to me is ~Rs 10000/- I am a bit confused... he also started telling me that any break down due to this might involve damage to the engine and this could set me back with a cool Rs 1 lakh. Need your suggestions guys... Is is worth taking a chance or should i get it replaced?

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Sumit - going by the discussions in this forum, you should be changing the belt. But do take quotations from other places also to ensure you pay the correct amount.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:58   #53
BHPian

Thanks buddy.. But this estimate i have got is from JMD, skoda authorised and again for the parts only.. Do you feel I would get a better bargain for the parts outside skoda authorised dealers?
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Skoda service in delhi recommends the timing belt change at 45k kms which i feel was a ripoff. Since my car has never gone to a service center and i maintain it myself, i wasnt willing to change it at that time either.

The euro manuals say change at 90k miles, which is about 120,000kms. Agreed we have worse conditions. I had the 1,00,000 kms mark in mind when i thoguht i would change it.

Car was at about 1.05,000 a few days back when as soon as i rolled into the workshop which was precisely the 5th anniversary of the car and i hear a crack!... and the fan belt goes.

engine cover and all opened. fan belt is lying down there... opened the timing cover and i see a crack on the timing belt. Yeehaw! just before it could snap i caught it.

My thoughts, change your timing belt in time and dont lazy around with the job. 1,00,00 is the upper limit. id say anything between 80-90k or 5 years is the right time.
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:37   #55
BHPian

Noted... I guess i will get this replaced this weekend only..... Rs 1 lakh figure is actually haunting me since the day I heard it

Cheers!!!
Old 27th April 2009, 10:56   #56
BHPian

Hi Guys....

Got my timing belt replaced this weekend..... Also got my front discs changed.... It has set me back by Rs 22,000/- (Rs 17000+5000 tax).... These taxes are killing us yaar...:(
Old 27th April 2009, 11:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

I just dont understand the Skoda price list.

55K for a clutch, 10K for a timing belt....

They charge you a bomb for the parts and then expect you to keep replacing them at a shorter time interval as compared to other manufacturers.

Im dead sure you can get the same/similar belt outside for a fraction of the price.

Shan2nu
Old 27th April 2009, 12:48   #58
BHPian

I completely agree with you... In fact I had a similar discussion with the workshop guys... But maybe quality comes at a cost....(This is how i convince myself )
Old 27th April 2009, 13:07   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I just dont understand the Skoda price list.

55K for a clutch, 10K for a timing belt....

They charge you a bomb for the parts and then expect you to keep replacing them at a shorter time interval as compared to other manufacturers.

Im dead sure you can get the same/similar belt outside for a fraction of the price.

Shan2nu
for a diesel engine skoda recommends a flywheel change , along with the clutch assembly ( pressure plate + clutch plate + release bearing) thats why its around Rs 50 k , the fly wheel change is not reccomended for a petrol and it comes to around 22k in bangalore with a skoda authorised service center.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for a diesel engine skoda recommends a flywheel change , along with the clutch assembly ( pressure plate + clutch plate + release bearing) thats why its around Rs 50 k , the fly wheel change is not reccomended for a petrol and it comes to around 22k in bangalore with a skoda authorised service center.
But isn't 22K expensive? Or is it the same for other cars in its class as well?

I wonder how much it would cost to replace the clutch of a 2.4 Accord. Any idea?

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks