Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 15:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
for a diesel engine skoda recommends a flywheel change , along with the clutch assembly ....
Doesn't make any sense whatsoever!
Would Skoda be kind enough to explain in technical terms why this strange rule applies to only diesel cars?!
Old 27th April 2009, 15:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Take these numbers and add 10% to get prices in India. Add labour charges as well.

Disc, accord, 2.4l 2008 $144.33
Flywheel, accord, 2.4l 2008 $328.38
Pressure plate, accord, 2.4l 2008 $157.85
Release bearing, accord, 2.4l 2008 $43.42

As for why Skoda flywheels are so expensive, they are dual mass flywheels. Quite complicated and required to be changed with the clutch.

Skoda recommends a flywheel change with the clutch in any car equipped with DMFs. This includes petrol cars sold in India (TPi/vRS).

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 27th April 2009 at 15:14.
Old 27th April 2009, 15:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Would Skoda be kind enough to explain in technical terms why this strange rule applies to only diesel cars?!
yes i agree , it doesnt make any sense at all . this is what the service advisors from 2 different authorized service centers told me. why change it unless its damaged.

Last edited by siddartha : 27th April 2009 at 15:35.
Old 27th April 2009, 15:55   #64
BHPian

Mahindra A.S.S are recommending that the timing belt for the Logan Diesel be changed at 50,000-60,000 km.

The car is with my Dad and he likes to follow "scheduled maintenance" religiously. 50-60K km seems like too short an interval for a timing belt change for a 1 year old car.

What should we do (without voiding the warranty) ?
Old 13th May 2009, 22:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Timing Belt change at M-A-S-S or local garage

Hi
I am planning to change the timing belt of my 97'model 800 from a M-A-S-S.
What other things need to be taken care while doing the same? What i mean
i am no fan of M-A-S-S carb engine tuning capabilities, as they have left me down on a couple of times down.
I had the car recently got the car tuned from a good garage so will i have to get the car retuned (set timing etc) or will that be taken care of the M-A-S-S themselves.
Is changing the timing belt a complicated procedure as i am also thinking of buying the belt from M-A-S-S and get it fitted from my regular garage?
Another option is to get the belt fitted and get the car to my local garage for a tune up.
Can't seem to make up my mind though so maybe you guys could help me out

Thanks
Old 14th May 2009, 10:58   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi
Why would you want to go to MASS when you already have a good independent garage to take care of your car? Genuine timing belts for M-800 are available all over the market, and it is not a very techically challenging job to carry out the replacement. You'll also save on costs if the change is done elsewhere than at MASS.
Old 15th May 2009, 16:27   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi
Is changing the timing belt a complicated procedure as i am also thinking of buying the belt from M-A-S-S and get it fitted from my regular garage?
Cost of timing belt outside: Rs.190. Labour charges: Rs.100. Why change? Because the belt can become like this...
(@75,000 km; engine started misfiring, M-800 is a non-interference engine, so no damage done).
Attached Thumbnails
Is it time to change the Timing Belt?-dsc02122.jpg  

Old 15th May 2009, 17:15   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
Hi Guys....

Got my timing belt replaced this weekend..... Also got my front discs changed.... It has set me back by Rs 22,000/- (Rs 17000+5000 tax).... These taxes are killing us yaar...:(
How much did it cost for the timing belt alone ? I mean with the taxes. Also is it possible to get it changed in regular garages?
Old 15th May 2009, 17:31   #69
Senior - BHPian

^ ofcourse it is.
It takes no knowledge of rocket science.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thats scary! I wanted to get the belt changed in my Esteem, but the MASS supervisors vehemently opposed it... saying they are good for 100,000 km! So I have never done it. And my car had done only about 45,000 km (it is however over 6-7 years old). How long are they supposed to last in the 800 (as per the manual)?
Old 15th May 2009, 18:39   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I wanted to get the belt changed in my Esteem, but the MASS supervisors vehemently opposed it... saying they are good for 100,000 km!
Esteem's engine is also the non-interference type AFAIK, so MASS is pretty cool about not changing it - no damage happens to the engine if the belt cogs strip off as in the previous pic. But it can leave you stranded on the road.

45k km is rather too early for a change, but 7 years - yes, you might as well change. The belt material degenerates over time. Esteem timing belts are cheap too, and easy to change.
Old 15th May 2009, 20:05   #72
Senior - BHPian

^^^Cool, thanks. I know its non-interference type, but the though of getting left stranded somewhere scary. Also, I didn't know the belts could loose teeth like in your pic. I better get it changed soon... but the MASS people will put up stiff resistance again...
Old 16th May 2009, 00:29   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The Skoda flywheel has some plastic/fibre components to it - I'm not sure what function they serve, but going by the design they seem to smooth out the torque fluctuations. These bits appear to either wear out due to overheating (riding the clutch) or sudden clutch release. Once they're damaged, they can't be changed individually, and the complete flywheel has to be changed. Of course, Skoda service centres change them as a matter of routine. Maybe the diesels show damage to those components more commonly because of the higher torque.

Open-market cost (Octy diesel) outside Skoda service centres for the flywheel: 18-19k INR. Cost of clutch assembly (plates etc.): 8-9k INR. Total cost for clutch overhaul at independent garage, including flywheel: approx. 30k INR, excluding flywheel: 12k INR.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th May 2009 at 00:33.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:24   #74
Team-BHP Support

I own a Ford Ikon 1.3Flair (September 2004 & 65k kms) and have been getting it serviced outside of Ford.

On enquiring about the timing belt change, I was told by the mechanic that the car does not come with a Timing Belt but has a timing chain which will be replaced at 1.5 - 2 lakhs kms.

Just wanted to confirm if he is right !
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I own a Ford Ikon 1.3Flair (September 2004 & 65k kms) and have been getting it serviced outside of Ford.

On enquiring about the timing belt change, I was told by the mechanic that the car does not come with a Timing Belt but has a timing chain which will be replaced at 1.5 - 2 lakhs kms.

Just wanted to confirm if he is right !
yes he is right , the ikons come with a timing chain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks