Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 03:21   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is it time to change the Timing Belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I have a Ford Ikon 1.3 Petrol with 106K kms on the ODO, 2008 Model.
When asked the service guy whether it comes with timing chain or belt, he was clueless and told me he would call me back after enquiring. After an hour received a call saying it comes with Timing Chain and whole set needs to be replaced and the cost would be around 8k + labour and taxes. He told me it needs to be changed every 5 years or 120k kms (whichever is earlier).
Shall I get it changed as I am thinking to sell the car in about 6-7 months or will it last?
If it's a chain, it isn't going to snap and kill the engine.
So, don't worry about it and let the car run for the time being until you decide to sell the car.
PS: A used Ikon 1.3 engine shouldn't cost much over 10k.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 09:33   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shall I get it changed as I am thinking to sell the car in about 6-7 months or will it last?
If the manual says the timing chain is to be replaced at 5 yrs/120k kms, you should do it.

Sure, you are a few thousand kms off, but you have greatly overshot the time factor (5 vs 9).

The 8k expense now can potentially save you a lot of trouble later.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 23:16   #153
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Ford Ikon 1.3 Petrol with 106K kms on the ODO, 2008 Model.
When asked the service guy whether it comes with timing chain or belt, he was clueless and told me he would call me back after enquiring. After an hour received a call saying it comes with Timing Chain and whole set needs to be replaced and the cost would be around 8k + labour and taxes. He told me it needs to be changed every 5 years or 120k kms (whichever is earlier).
Go through the owners manual, such recommendations are listed in the service schedule. A timing chain should last the life of the vehicle, although the tensioner may need adjustments. If you absolutely need to replace it, talk to a competent local garage and see what they have to say. Since the engine is from Ford, look up on the internet what the trend is regarding its maintenance in the American forums.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 18:39   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
If the manual says the timing chain is to be replaced at 5 yrs/120k kms, you should do it.

Sure, you are a few thousand kms off, but you have greatly overshot the time factor (5 vs 9).

The 8k expense now can potentially save you a lot of trouble later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Go through the owners manual, such recommendations are listed in the service schedule. A timing chain should last the life of the vehicle, although the tensioner may need adjustments..
The manual says Drive belts (Alternator & PAS Pump) must be replaced at an interval of 60 months or 100,000 kms and the Camshaft Drive Belt every 50K kms or Five Years whichever occurs earlier.

Quote:
If you absolutely need to replace it, talk to a competent local garage and see what they have to say.
Yes Sir! As I am planning to sell the car there's no point in investing further, so decided for FNG only.
Old 28th February 2017, 11:10   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I spoke to the Spare part section of Metro Ford. Here are the approximate costs

Timing Belt - 1500/-
Tensioner Pulley - 4000/-
Drive Belt (AC, Water Pump) - 2000-

Have booked an appointment. Will get them replaced. Do not want to take any chances since I am planning a Rajasthan drive in October.
Did you get the parts replaced? How much did it cost you? Did you change he water pump also?

I'm planning to do the same, hence my questions.
Old 28th February 2017, 11:44   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Did you get the parts replaced? How much did it cost you? Did you change he water pump also?

I'm planning to do the same, hence my questions.
Yes. I got it changed. Changed the Timing belt and tensioner pulley. Did not change the water pump. Don't remember the exact cost. I think it was under 10K. Changed it in Sep 2015 and have done 20K Kms after that.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:42   #157
BANNED

Timing belt or chai replacement is the silliest thing to put off or postpone. Even more so, if you have an interference engine. A colleague had a Fiat 128 and I advised him to get and replace the timing belt. He got the belt but trying to be frugal he did not replace it. One day it gave way, and being an interference engine (natural since it was a short stroke design) the damage was massive. He had to replace all the valves, etc. in order to get it going again. I am not sure about the con-rods and pistons.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:52   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Yes. I got it changed. Changed the Timing belt and tensioner pulley. Did not change the water pump. Don't remember the exact cost. I think it was under 10K. Changed it in Sep 2015 and have done 20K Kms after that.
Any specific reason you did not change the water pump? I read somewhere that it is also recommended to be changed with the timing belt. Based on your inputs, I may decide to skip changing the water pump, as it costs around Rs 4000.

Below is an approximate quotation I got from Vibrant Ford for my petrol Fiesta 1.6:
  1. Timing belt : 700
  2. Tensioner pulleys: 4000
  3. Drive belt : 1750
  4. Water pump: 4000
  5. Coolant: 1200
The spare parts guy could not give an estimate of the labour cost, but guessed it would be below 3000.

I was initially thinking of changing only the drive belt, but after reading this thread decided to change the timing belt and pulleys too. Only item I am not sure of is the water pump, which is currently out of stock for the petrol Fiesta. Change of water pump entails change of coolant too, but the coolant was changed 2 years ago. I wanted to know if the timing belt drives the water pump or is it the drive belt?

The Fiesta will complete 10 years in a couple of weeks, but so far I've had no symptom of any trouble, but getting things done to avoid huge expenses later.

Edit: I just saw an update from another member (akshay380) on this forum that he was charged around 1000 for tensioner pulleys for his petrol Fiesta. I guess the estimate of 4000 above was wrongly given by the Ford dealer. Perhaps that was for the diesel Fiesta. Any inputs will be of great help.

Last edited by vnabhi : 28th February 2017 at 13:15.
Old 28th February 2017, 14:39   #159
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to know if the timing belt drives the water pump or is it the drive belt?

The Fiesta will complete 10 years in a couple of weeks, but so far I've had no symptom of any trouble, but getting things done to avoid huge expenses later.
The drive belt drives the water pump, not the timing belt. The only reason a water pump replacement is recommended along with the timing belt change is to save on labour cost as the latter also requires similar work to access it.
skandyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 14:42   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
The drive belt drives the water pump, not the timing belt. The only reason a water pump replacement is recommended along with the timing belt change is to save on labour cost as the latter also requires similar work to access it.
Many thanks. Actually, changing the drive belt takes only 45 minutes. Changing the timing belt takes considerably longer because it is inside a casing that is beneath the drive belt.

Going by your post, I may defer changing the water pump. But is there any way of checking if the pump is on the verge of failure? Also, if the pump fails, will it have an effect on the timing belt? The 1.6 petrol Fiesta has an interference engine, so a timing belt failure can have a devastating effect.
Old 28th February 2017, 14:57   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks. Actually, changing the drive belt takes only 45 minutes. Changing the timing belt takes considerably longer because it is inside a casing that is beneath the drive belt.

Going by your post, I may defer changing the water pump. But is there any way of checking if the pump is on the verge of failure? Also, if the pump fails, will it have an effect on the timing belt? The 1.6 petrol Fiesta has an interference engine, so a timing belt failure can have a devastating effect.
I am in the same boat, have a 9 year old Fiesta 1.6 ZXI, guess I have to change it too in the coming weeks, no point waiting for it to fail and ruin the sweet engine.

Only dilemma is to go to a FNG or A**, advantage with the FNG will be costs may be lower and i get to be with the technicians when they do the work, the advantage with the A** will be a more professional set-up but cost will be more and i will not be allowed to see what they are doing.

BTW, is this your first change of the timing belt? Asking coz Ford recommends a change once in 5 years/1 Lac KMs and yours is well overdue if not. For me since i got it 2nd hand, i checked all the previous service given by the other gentleman (he was meticulous in records) and i did not see any bills mentioning a timing belt change.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 15:16   #162
BHPian

Quote:
But is there any way of checking if the pump is on the verge of failure? Also, if the pump fails, will it have an effect on the timing belt? The 1.6 petrol Fiesta has an interference engine, so a timing belt failure can have a devastating effect.
A water pump failure will have no impact on the timing belt whatsoever. The danger is of engine overheating (which obviously would be devastating to the engine in extreme cases). If one has eyes constantly on all the meters in the information console as a matter of practice and there's a temperature gauge among them, overheating can be caught in time and the problem managed.

As long as you don't see coolant leaking under the engine bay and don't hear a whining noise from the engine bay that increases with speed (indicating impending pump bearing failure), I'm not aware of much else that could betray that the pump is about to die down on you.

Last edited by skandyhere : 28th February 2017 at 15:18.
skandyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 15:30   #163
BHPian

What's recommended interval to change timing belt (or chain) of Honda civic? I read that civic does not need timing chain replacement, it lasts engine lifetime. Is it true?

Last edited by techcoze : 28th February 2017 at 15:34.
Old 28th February 2017, 16:39   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
BTW, is this your first change of the timing belt? Asking coz Ford recommends a change once in 5 years/1 Lac KMs and yours is well overdue if not. For me since i got it 2nd hand, i checked all the previous service given by the other gentleman (he was meticulous in records) and i did not see any bills mentioning a timing belt change.
I am guilty as charged! I wasn't aware of the 5-year period, but only the 1 lakh km interval. Neither did my trusted SA from Mody Ford update me on it, though he hinted a couple of years ago that I'd have to change some belts when the odo touches 60 K kms.
I am thankful for the SA from Vibrant Ford pointing out that my drive belt needs a change during my happy pocket service last month. This set the ball rolling, and this thread was an eye-opener!

I prefer the Ford A.S.S. as I don't have a good FNG that I trust for critical repairs like this. And Vibrant Ford does allow customers to inspect the work, unlike before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
A water pump failure will have no impact on the timing belt whatsoever. The danger is of engine overheating (which obviously would be devastating to the engine in extreme cases). If one has eyes constantly on all the meters in the information console as a matter of practice and there's a temperature gauge among them, overheating can be caught in time and the problem managed.

As long as you don't see coolant leaking under the engine bay and don't hear a whining noise from the engine bay that increases with speed (indicating impending pump bearing failure), I'm not aware of much else that could betray that the pump is about to die down on you.
Thanks, I guess I'll defer the water pump till later. It is currently out of stock.

Last edited by vnabhi : 28th February 2017 at 16:41.
Old 28th February 2017, 22:59   #165
BHPian

Quote:
The manual says Drive belts (Alternator & PAS Pump) must be replaced at an interval of 60 months or 100,000 kms and the Camshaft Drive Belt every 50K kms or Five Years whichever occurs earlier.

Yes Sir! As I am planning to sell the car there's no point in investing further, so decided for FNG only.
It is really surprising that the fan belts are good for 1 lakh kms and the timing belt only for 50 thousand kms!

FNGs are fine as long as they are trustworthy. Even then don't let them know that the car is for sale until the work is done, else the new owner may curse you for all his life. On second thoughts, why not sell the car as is and tell the new owner to get the necessary repairs made?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks