Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 12:32   #76
BHPian

Well, last week I got the Timing Belt changed in my Zen - 1.12K km, Brand:Fenner; Price: Rs.260/-
The original timing belt wasn't giving any problems & when removed didn't show any signs of distress. Still changed it as a part of preventive maintenance.
Old 4th July 2009, 15:49   #77
BHPian

Hyundai accent ( Modi Hyundai , Thane ) quoted 5000 + taxes for the timing belt change. OHC one is cheaper ?
Thats great ..
BTW , Mine has done 54000km but its 7 yrs. old.
Am going for a change tomorrow. Have got a aftermarket fit from GATES , and a GMB make tensioner.
Is there anything else that i need to be aware of ?
thanks,
BTW after about 45 k i sarted getting this rotating sound which i suspect is something to do with cam belt or the bearing.
cant describe it but its like -frfrfr. Increases with speed and is not audible when slow. All wheel bearings replaced and are silent.
any ideas ?
Kedar

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 4th July 2009 at 15:51.
Old 10th July 2009, 13:25   #78
BHPian

Cam belt changed yesterday along with the fan belt , alternator belt & power steering belt. Car had done 54000km . The cam belt was in good condition, no cracking at all. So it was probly good enough for 80k in spite of the years gone by. The fan belt was a goner , was just hanging there. Could have snapped any min. in rain in middle of nowhere. other 2 had started cracking and good i changed them ( all ORIGINAL BELTS lasted 54000km and 7 yrs. from manufacturing date ) The cam was still good. soft and not even started hardening.
But the tensioner bearing was not and changed to GMB.
Anyway the damages were-
1) tiMING BELT ( gates ) Rs.475/-
2) Power steering belt ( Helicord) rS.175-
3) Fan belt ( Gates ) Rs. 180/-
4) Alternator belt ( Helicord ) Rs. 125/-
5) cam belt tensioner ( GMB ) rS. 475/-
6) lABOUR rS.600/-

p.s. the frfrfrfr rotating sound gone with the new cam belt tensioner bearing

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 10th July 2009 at 13:26.
Old 10th July 2009, 13:29   #79
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know you got this problem sorted.
Old 12th July 2009, 12:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

M800 Timing belt for 120 bucks

Hi,
went to a local parts shop for the timing belt, was quoted 120 for the same but the guy didn't had the part.I asked him whether it was a Fenner brand he said no and that it was imported.

Well i won't be going in for the change untill next week may be so could you guys suggest whether 120 is the right price for a m800 timing belt.
By right i mean, i hope it is not a cheap replica since the timing belt is a
critical component i do not want to put in a spurious part.

Let me know what you guys think.I have full faith in fellow BHPians suggestions.

Thanks
Old 12th July 2009, 15:37   #81
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Rs. 120 for a timing belt for a M 800 seems to be on the lower side. Why don't you check the cost for the same at a M.A.S.S and then you'll know.
Old 18th July 2009, 12:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

Conti Belt and 850 bucks for Labor ??

Hi ,
here are the images of the belt i purchased from Prakash Auto Store ,Milan subway (Santacruz West).I was told that this belt is a original product ,cost rs 150.

Can someone tell me whether the belt is original or not ?

And for the shocker,i was quoted 850 bucks for labor + extra for bearings if needed to be replaced.

What bearings need to be replaced while replacing the belt ?

Now i got this quote from Milan Auto at Juhu road
,the dude out there is a mr Anand from whom i have been geting the car tuned for the last couple of times.I might say they did a pretty good job
at the tuning part but i think the price he quoted seems to be much on the higher side against what others have paid for a M800

So guys what you suggest, i am yet to get the belt changed.Shall i go to mr Anand or shall i try another garage.You know its' kind of hard to find a good garage who will do a good job.

Please let me know.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Is it time to change the Timing Belt?-photo0030.jpg  

Is it time to change the Timing Belt?-photo0032.jpg  

Is it time to change the Timing Belt?-photo0031.jpg  

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th July 2009 at 12:47.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:08   #83
BHPian

Hi Sumeet,
the belt you have is indeed original continental.
Doesnt mean much though as the quality control on the OE part for the manufacturer is way better than the one for after market.
Belt price is right and the labour is a little on the higher side but not outright exorbitant. The process is time consuming ( about 2.30 to 3.00 hrs ) and involves removal of 3 additional belts , hoods , then finally the cam belt and tensioner bearing. and then refitting in reverse order and also removal and fitting of the right wheel is required to carry out the work.
Its a good idea to check and replace the other belts ( water pump, alternator, steering ) if found damaged.
For the record i paid 600 labour for the work on my accent. the tensioner bearing ( GMB ) cost 475/- and the cam belt make GATES ( 475 /) the remaining 3 belts cost r.s550/ in all.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 18th July 2009 at 20:20.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:12   #84
BHPian

Hi sumeet,
prakash is way too exorbitant and not above being little dodgy about the quality. unless its too inconvinient , try to buy from Opera House.
If its maruti suzuki car you have, please try SPECTRA motors directly or wherever they have counter sale still on. For example the oil (servo )that IOC supplies to the co. is clear unlike the same which is available on themarket red. The oil packed for the counter sale is much better ( IMHO ).
Otherwise ,Allied auto , near Vishal hall , andheri - east is very good.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 18th July 2009 at 20:19.
Old 18th July 2009, 21:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi Sumeet,
the labour is a little on the higher side but not outright exorbitant. The process is time consuming ( about 2.30 to 3.00 hrs ) and involves removal of 3 additional belts , hoods , then finally the cam belt and tensioner bearing. and then refitting in reverse order and also removal and fitting of the right wheel is required to carry out the work.
Its a good idea to check and replace the other belts ( water pump, alternator, steering ) if found damaged.
For the record i paid 600 labour for the work on my accent. the tensioner bearing ( GMB ) cost 475/- and the cam belt make GATES ( 475 /) the remaining 3 belts cost r.s550/ in all.
Hey highnoon,
thanks for clearing up the process of changing the timing belt.I guess it's because all the stuff is involved i guess the charge seems to be a little high.
I was under the impression it is just a matter of replacing the old belt with a new once once the timing belt case is opened.

Regarding the originality of the belt i might let the workshop guys determine if it will be right to use the same or not.

thanks buddy.
Old 25th July 2009, 14:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys,
finally got the timing belt replaced on my carb 800.Took around 2 hours
to do the job and cost me 850 bucks pure labor.

The old belt that came off looked fine really but considering the car is 12 years old i thought better safe than sorry.Who knows when the belt might decide to snap.
Old 25th July 2009, 14:22   #87
BHPian

did you check the other belts while at it ? Usually, the entire process leads to at least one belt that is on its last threads (unless you have been fastidious about the replacement schedule).
Old 25th July 2009, 22:03   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
did you check the other belts while at it ? Usually, the entire process leads to at least one belt that is on its last threads (unless you have been fastidious about the replacement schedule).
Well by other belts i suppose you mean by the alternator and the a/c belt.Well my a/c has conked off about a couple of years ago(i decided not to repair it as i enjoy listening to the sound of the FFE) so i didn't bother with that and the alternator belt seemed fine enough not to go for a change.
Old 17th November 2011, 01:23   #89
BHPian

re: Is it time to change the Timing Belt?

I'm pondering over a decision to change timing belt for my 10+ year young Wagon-R, done 66k KMs. I don't see any evident reason why I should bother, other than it being 10 year young, but my trusted mechanic says that I should.

Soliciting expert advice on the following:
1. What is the approximate cost of Waggy T-Belt?
2. Which brand should I shop for (I trust Bosch, and I guess they do make timing belts, but is it easily available in Delhi?)
3. While I'm it, should I change other belts - Drive Belts et al. as well?
4. Is Waggy engine interference or non-interference?
Old 17th November 2011, 19:11   #90
Team-BHP Support

re: Is it time to change the Timing Belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbhatia View Post
I'm pondering over a decision to change timing belt for my 10+ year young Wagon-R, done 66k KMs. I don't see any evident reason why I should bother, other than it being 10 year young, but my trusted mechanic says that I should.

Soliciting expert advice on the following:
1. What is the approximate cost of Waggy T-Belt?
2. Which brand should I shop for (I trust Bosch, and I guess they do make timing belts, but is it easily available in Delhi?)
3. While I'm it, should I change other belts - Drive Belts et al. as well?
4. Is Waggy engine interference or non-interference?
Oh yes, please get the timing belt changed!

Check : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2580935

if you've a doubt.

10 yr old car and 66k kms, you're lucky the timing belt hasn't bust yet.

It's best you get it changed at A.S.S. itself.

Do you get the car serviced at A.S.S. and follow replacements mentioned as per manual? They'll know what else is to be changed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks